• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash at the World Hobby Fair 2014

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Well, think of it this way: if it was meant to represent the Random slot, that would imply that the roster we have now is complete, which the flyer clearly goes against by talking of more incoming characters.

Also, it looks nothing like the actual CSS besides all the character squares being clustered together. :p

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Considering the white text right under the slot says that there's simply more to come...

Don't expect an announcement. It's just here to say "it's not over!"... Which is obvious.

Boomuki

Smash Cadet
NNID
BooMuki
3DS FC
0963-0043-6790
So apparently my thread got closed but this one stays open because there is more text in the op? Ok

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Okay, if we are going to get another character revealed tomorrow--and mind you, that's a big if--then chances are, it'd be a returning veteran. Nothing more. Here's a list of characters that are most likely going to get confirmed:

Mr. Game & Watch: Given the fact that he was "leaked," and Sakurai revealed over on twitter that he isn't quite ready yet to be added to the roster, this is pretty much his only chance at being officially confirmed before Japanese launch.

Falco: Setting aside the Petilil leak, tomorrow might be his big chance at returning all while giving Wolf a good sporting chance (and who knows? We might even get a new stage out of it). He's a fan favorite, and if my theory regarding version exclusive starting characters does turn out to be true, we could very well get him tomorrow.

Meta Knight: Aside from Captain Falcon (who's likely to be an unlockable character again anyways), this guy's pretty much the biggest name in Smash to reveal, and even in Japan, his confirmation would be a big deal. I doubt it, but we'll see.

Wario: See Meta Knight above, only a bit more probable.

Ice Climbers: Before I even learned about this, I always predicted these two to be the next returning veteran to be announced, and so my assessment remains, even if the circumstances revolving this event may contradict said assessment. If we don't get anybody tomorrow, it's going to be a locked selection.

Ness: A fairly distant possibility, but could happen if Lucas is to return.

Chorus Kids: Considering that this is a Japanese event, wouldn't the best shot for another newcomer reveal be these guys? You know, big in Japan; not so much everywhere else? Granted, if they don't show up, I'm going to predict a post-Japanese launch reveal alongside Jigglypuff, G&W, and ROB. But of all the newcomers, this just makes the most sense. Not to mention that teases and leaks like the Sneaky Spirit are often used to fuel speculation regarding newcomers.

Shulk: A consideration due to the Mr. E leak and nothing more. It could happen; but if nothing else, if he is indeed going to join the fight, I'm getting the vibe that he'd just be a Secret Character--as in, an unlockable designed to be one of the last--if not THE last one to obtain.

Takamaru: While I do not believe for an instant that he's going to be playable, I'll keep an open mind for tomorrow just because he is to Japan what Little Mac was to America.

Beyond that, there are no other newcomer candidates that are going to be confirmed. Nor returning veterans, though fellows like Ganondorf and R.O.B. are far more likely to be announced than Ridley, Chrom, Isaac, or King K. Rool among others, no matter what the demand for them may be.

As far as who I think will be announced, I'll say Falco is the most likely candidate for confirmation if we are to add another character to the roster tomorrow. Otherwise, most likely character that we are going to get next will be Ice Climbers. Most likely newcomers? In August, it will be Ridley.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Okay, if we are going to get another character revealed tomorrow--and mind you, that's a big if--then chances are, it'd be a returning veteran. Nothing more. Here's a list of characters that are most likely going to get confirmed:

Mr. Game & Watch: Given the fact that he was "leaked," and Sakurai revealed over on twitter that he isn't quite ready yet to be added to the roster, this is pretty much his only chance at being officially confirmed before Japanese launch.

Falco: Setting aside the Petilil leak, tomorrow might be his big chance at returning all while giving Wolf a good sporting chance (and who knows? We might even get a new stage out of it). He's a fan favorite, and if my theory regarding version exclusive starting characters does turn out to be true, we could very well get him tomorrow.

Meta Knight: Aside from Captain Falcon (who's likely to be an unlockable character again anyways), this guy's pretty much the biggest name in Smash to reveal, and even in Japan, his confirmation would be a big deal. I doubt it, but we'll see.

Wario: See Meta Knight above, only a bit more probable.

Ice Climbers: Before I even learned about this, I always predicted these two to be the next returning veteran to be announced, and so my assessment remains, even if the circumstances revolving this event may contradict said assessment. If we don't get anybody tomorrow, it's going to be a locked selection.

Ness: A fairly distant possibility, but could happen if Lucas is to return.

Chorus Kids: Considering that this is a Japanese event, wouldn't the best shot for another newcomer reveal be these guys? You know, big in Japan; not so much everywhere else? Granted, if they don't show up, I'm going to predict a post-Japanese launch reveal alongside Jigglypuff, G&W, and ROB. But of all the newcomers, this just makes the most sense. Not to mention that teases and leaks like the Sneaky Spirit are often used to fuel speculation regarding newcomers.

Shulk: A consideration due to the Mr. E leak and nothing more. It could happen; but if nothing else, if he is indeed going to join the fight, I'm getting the vibe that he'd just be a Secret Character--as in, an unlockable designed to be one of the last--if not THE last one to obtain.

Takamaru: While I do not believe for an instant that he's going to be playable, I'll keep an open mind for tomorrow just because he is to Japan what Little Mac was to America.

Beyond that, there are no other newcomer candidates that are going to be confirmed. Nor returning veterans, though fellows like Ganondorf and R.O.B. are far more likely to be announced than Ridley, Chrom, Isaac, or King K. Rool among others, no matter what the demand for them may be.

As far as who I think will be announced, I'll say Falco is the most likely candidate for confirmation if we are to add another character to the roster tomorrow. Otherwise, most likely character that we are going to get next will be Ice Climbers. Most likely newcomers? In August, it will be Ridley.
Where is Sakurai's post about Game and Watch?

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
If it doesn't happen tonight I bet we're going to get a new character this week, more than likely. I believe all three of the Gematsu characters will be revealed before release. It'd make sense if they spaced them out one a month. It could very well be at this event.

Coincidentally the event just happens to wind down just at the time we normally get our PotD. Also Shulk in particular would be a great character to reveal at a Japanese-only event.

The downsides are that they seem to be blocking the public from filming the demo, which means that Nintendo might see this event more as a way for people to get a hands on look at the game without making it too promotional. It could also be because they want the news to be about the new character though. You never know.

Then there's the newspaper ad with the question mark. That could be just a way of signalling to people this is not the full roster and there are still mysteries, or signalling that a mystery character will be joining the cast tonight. We don't really know.

Personally I think it's worth checking the websites between 1 AM to 3 AM central time (around when the event will end) for news. I think there's a chance something is going to come out of this.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Where is Sakurai's post about Game and Watch?
I'm looking for the link, but I'm not terribly used to exploring twitter, and bing as a search engine can be a little wonky. Sorry for not having it on standbye; figured it was just common sense around here. I'll post the link when I find it.

And in a sense, it is. He was featured in the Pac-Man trailer, and it wouldn't make sense for a two-timed veteran of historical significance for Nintendo to be featured in a newcomer trailer and not be in the game. People tend to use this to support Dark Pit being playable as well, but the difference was that in Brawl, all Dark Pit was was a color swap for Pit (I'll take it with a grain of salt, but needless to say, you'd think Hades would be a more appropriate third rep from Kid Icarus given his popularity).

If it doesn't happen tonight I bet we're going to get a new character this week, more than likely. I believe all three of the Gematsu characters will be revealed before release. It'd make sense if they spaced them out one a month. It could very well be at this event.
While it partially makes sense, I find it hard to believe that the Chorus Kids, Chrom, AND Shulk will all be starting characters, even if my theory regarding version-exclusive starters does hold up.

Coincidentally the event just happens to wind down just at the time we normally get our PotD. Also Shulk in particular would be a great character to reveal at a Japanese-only event.
If we're getting any newcomers out of this event, Chorus Kids are much more likely an option than Shulk or Chrom, though I'll at least keep and open mind with the former. I just feel he's more likely to be a secret character.

The downsides are that they seem to be blocking the public from filming the demo, which means that Nintendo might see this event more as a way for people to get a hands on look at the game without making it too promotional. It could also be because they want the news to be about the new character though. You never know.

Then there's the newspaper ad with the question mark. That could be just a way of signalling to people this is not the full roster and there are still mysteries, or signalling that a mystery character will be joining the cast tonight. We don't really know.

Personally I think it's worth checking the websites between 1 AM to 3 AM central time (around when the event will end) for news. I think there's a chance something is going to come out of this.
Yes, gaining significant details have proven to be much more difficult than I'd like it to be. I just want to know for sure if Cranky Kong and a Mechon M60 series are indeed winnable trophies in Smash Run, or if Chunky Kong is indeed an AT. It'd add a great deal of credibility to a few of these rumors. But again, the most likely candidate for a new reveal tonight would have to be Falco. Not because of the Petilil leak; he's just a highly requested MIA veteran who is almost as popular as Meta Knight and Captain Falcon while also allowing Sakurai to hold up on the two. It'd make the most sense to reveal him tonight if anybody, especially if Wolf is going to make it back in the game.

But as you said, we don't really know, do we? At least not yet. Good thing I'm Rocky Mountain Time, and even then, I doubt I'll be able to keep track of the websites between midnight and 2 in the morning. I have yet another big day tomorrow.

EDIT: Glad I didn't mess up breaking up the responded comment. Looks like I'm getting used to this setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
While it partially makes sense, I find it hard to believe that the Chorus Kids, Chrom, AND Shulk will all be starting characters, even if my theory regarding version-exclusive starters does hold up.

If we're getting any newcomers out of this event, Chorus Kids are much more likely an option than Shulk or Chrom, though I'll at least keep and open mind with the former. I just feel he's more likely to be a secret character.

Yes, gaining significant details have proven to be much more difficult than I'd like it to be. I just want to know for sure if Cranky Kong and a Mechon M60 series are indeed winnable trophies in Smash Run, or if Chunky Kong is indeed an AT. It'd add a great deal of credibility to a few of these rumors. But again, the most likely candidate for a new reveal tonight would have to be Falco. Not because of the Petilil leak; he's just a highly requested MIA veteran who is almost as popular as Meta Knight and Captain Falcon while also allowing Sakurai to hold up on the two. It'd make the most sense to reveal him tonight if anybody, especially if Wolf is going to make it back in the game.

But as you said, we don't really know, do we? At least not yet. Good thing I'm Rocky Mountain Time, and even then, I doubt I'll be able to keep track of the websites between midnight and 2 in the morning. I have yet another big day tomorrow.

EDIT: Glad I didn't mess up breaking up the responded comment. Looks like I'm getting used to this setup.
Gematsu has indicated that their source is in the promotional department of Nintendo. I'm thinking he had access to the videos that were made for each newcomer. They've made videos for every Gematsu character so far, leading me to suspect that the other three have videos made of them too and they are going to show them before release. There have been times that characters revealed to be in the game later have been secret in the game, too. I'm guessing one of the FE guys will be secret at least.

Chorus Kids makes more sense to be shown right before the release of the 3DS version because they were more successful as a handheld character than the others. Shulk makes sense at this event because he's this originally Japanese exclusive character.

I see Falco as secret until release. Same with Falcon. Meta has a chance of being revealed, since what they did to him is going to be a major factor on how the metagame will pan out this time.

I'm just speculating like everyone else of course. But I have a good feeling about Shulk tonight for some reason..

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
I don't think it'll be any newcomer simply because we would get a trailer, and Sunday would be an odd time to post a trailer out of the blue, it'll likely be a vet that will get a PotD on Monday morning, just like how we randomly got Ike in a PotD recently.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I don't think it'll be any newcomer simply because we would get a trailer, and Sunday would be an odd time to post a trailer out of the blue, it'll likely be a vet that will get a PotD on Monday morning, just like how we randomly got Ike in a PotD recently.
Honestly, I think people are making web design seem more complicated than it actually is. It's not that abnormal to me that we might get a Sunday update. I mean, they had trailers and content up on the website pretty much minutes after they were revealed during both E3's, and Greninja popped up on the website in a similar timeframe.

Having someone go into the office for an hour on a Sunday to double check the code and hit the 'submit' button while sipping coffee at a pre-determined time isn't particularly strange. If something happens to get revealed, they'll have the information up within the hour at worst.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
So apparently my thread got closed but this one stays open because there is more text in the op? Ok
Most likely because the thread was created before yours and you didn't make an effort to check if there was already a thread entertaining your subject.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think people are making web design seem more complicated than it actually is. It's not that abnormal to me that we might get a Sunday update. I mean, they had trailers and content up on the website pretty much minutes after they were revealed during both E3's, and Greninja popped up on the website in a similar timeframe.

Having someone go into the office for an hour on a Sunday to double check the code and hit the 'submit' button while sipping coffee at a pre-determined time isn't particularly strange. If something happens to get revealed, they'll have the information up within the hour at worst.
The time is still a bit of a problem, Saturday would have made more sense if they wanted to do it. It'd be a good thing to keep the info unpredictable though, and build hype in that way.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Gematsu has indicated that their source is in the promotional department of Nintendo. I'm thinking he had access to the videos that were made for each newcomer. They've made videos for every Gematsu character so far, leading me to suspect that the other three have videos made of them too and they are going to show them before release. There have been times that characters revealed to be in the game later have been secret in the game, too. I'm guessing one of the FE guys will be secret at least.

Chorus Kids makes more sense to be shown right before the release of the 3DS version because they were more successful as a handheld character than the others. Shulk makes sense at this event because he's this originally Japanese exclusive character.

I see Falco as secret until release. Same with Falcon. Meta has a chance of being revealed, since what they did to him is going to be a major factor on how the metagame will pan out this time.

I'm just speculating like everyone else of course. But I have a good feeling about Shulk tonight for some reason..
Every newcomer in general has had a newcomer video. Including Rosalina, which, mind you, he didn't predict. Funny too that Sonic also had a character reveal trailer, and he wasn't predicted. And while Charizard (another character not predicted by the leak) shared his reveal trailer with Greninja, though one could argue the plural clause since we did, after all get two Pokémon reveals at the same time, and they either debuted in X & Y, or played a big role in said games.

Technically, Chorus Kids makes more sense after the 3DS launch since joke characters have all historically been unlockable, if not secret in general. But it'd make more sense to reveal them tomorrow than it would any other potential newcomer in general. A distant possibility, but they'd have a better shot than even Shulk. Shulk is only a consideration due to another leak.

Yes, Meta Knight has a decent chance at being revealed tomorrow as well. It'd probably just come off as a little early to reveal such a highly anticipated returning veteran, but it'd make some sense to reveal just what they did to tweak him for the sake of balancing the gameplay. But given how many historically unlockable characters have been revealed already, and the very likely possibility of version-exclusive starter characters being implemented (based on what I gathered from the Best Buy demo lineups), Falco does make some sense. And it would make the most sense out of any of our veterans while still holding on to the big smoking guns to build even more anticipation later on.

Again, I'm just being logical, under the assumption that there'd even be a character reveal tomorrow. I don't think there will be, but I'll be hopeful.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
You do bring up an interesting point. We may not even get a character tomorrow, but perhaps later this week? Monday's a bit of a stretch, but I can definitely see Falco revealed next regardless if we do get a reveal this week. And if we do get a Falco Friday? During Independence Day of all days, fans will never stop fanboying over this.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Odd times + Sakurai = normal

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Every newcomer in general has had a newcomer video. Including Rosalina, which, mind you, he didn't predict. Funny too that Sonic also had a character reveal trailer, and he wasn't predicted. And while Charizard (another character not predicted by the leak) shared his reveal trailer with Greninja, though one could argue the plural clause since we did, after all get two Pokémon reveals at the same time, and they either debuted in X & Y, or played a big role in said games.

Technically, Chorus Kids makes more sense after the 3DS launch since joke characters have all historically been unlockable, if not secret in general. But it'd make more sense to reveal them tomorrow than it would any other potential newcomer in general. A distant possibility, but they'd have a better shot than even Shulk. Shulk is only a consideration due to another leak.

Yes, Meta Knight has a decent chance at being revealed tomorrow as well. It'd probably just come off as a little early to reveal such a highly anticipated returning veteran, but it'd make some sense to reveal just what they did to tweak him for the sake of balancing the gameplay. But given how many historically unlockable characters have been revealed already, and the very likely possibility of version-exclusive starter characters being implemented (based on what I gathered from the Best Buy demo lineups), Falco does make some sense. And it would make the most sense out of any of our veterans while still holding on to the big smoking guns to build even more anticipation later on.

Again, I'm just being logical, under the assumption that there'd even be a character reveal tomorrow. I don't think there will be, but I'll be hopeful.
Yeah I just have a feeling we're getting all the Gematsu characters before the release of the game. Chorus Kids is not really a joke character, and will more than likely have some sort of gimmick they'd want to show off rather than leaving people to discover it for the first time in-game. The only one I might see as staying secret is Chrom since I don't think we're getting three FE starters.

I think if it doesn't happen during this event, we're going to get a character this week, veteran or newcomer. I'd put money on it.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
He was announced at Nintendo World in 2006 in a trailer. The same could possibly happen.
You mean Fox could be confirmed twice in the same game=???

That's pretty amazing! :laugh:

(but nah, that's what I was thinking; we'd get something related to a newly confirmed character soon)
No, mine was opened 5 minutes earlier. The mods almost always keep the first thread made open in these situations.

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Okay, I did a little digging, and while the possibility of a returning veteran is still very much there, the chances of a newcomer reveal is virtually nonexistent. There is no stage or big screen in these sorts of events to showcase such a trailer at all since all they have going for it is a demo.

As for additional gameplay details, the only thing I got, was that Chunky Kong's AT is so fast that it'd be easy to miss your chance to take a picture of him. Given the fact that such statements are not only suspicious (especially on gamefaqs), but that Chunky Kong is anything but fast, it is safe to assume to just be a bogus eyewitness account. I just want to know, however, is if Chunky Kong really is an AT. What about Cranky Kong or the Mechon M60? Do their trophies actually exist? What secrets are there being uncovered at the event that we are missing out on?

If only we have some photos or gameplay footage, and this wasn't a hush hush Japanese demo. What I don't get, is how these Asian kids are having trouble feeding us more than just a flyer when kids were able to sneak in entire gameplay footage from Best Buy no problem? Is security over there really that strict?

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I did a little digging, and while the possibility of a returning veteran is still very much there, the chances of a newcomer reveal is virtually nonexistent. There is no stage or big screen in these sorts of events to showcase such a trailer at all since all they have going for it is a demo.

As for additional gameplay details, the only thing I got, was that Chunky Kong's AT is so fast that it'd be easy to miss your chance to take a picture of him. Given the fact that such statements are not only suspicious (especially on gamefaqs), but that Chunky Kong is anything but fast, it is safe to assume to just be a bogus eyewitness account. I just want to know, however, is if Chunky Kong really is an AT. What about Cranky Kong or the Mechon M60? Do their trophies actually exist? What secrets are there being uncovered at the event that we are missing out on?

If only we have some photos or gameplay footage, and this wasn't a hush hush Japanese demo. What I don't get, is how these Asian kids are having trouble feeding us more than just a flyer when kids were able to sneak in entire gameplay footage from Best Buy no problem? Is security over there really that strict?
It's Japan. People generally do what they are told over there. Because their prisons are nightmares.

MrHomelessHobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Orangeporrige
The poster had six question marks, random is six letters. RANDOM BUTTON CONFIRMED FOR SMASH 4

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The lady at my Best Buy was really adamant about not videoing, so they still do care. She even went as far as putting a hand in front of the TV every time someone looked like they were shooting video.
That was just a few Best Buy's. GimR (the guy who runs VGBootCamp on Twitch) was allowed to stream a ton of content and get exclusive coverage. At my Best Buy we got unlimited access. In fact, video recording setups were basically always pushed to the front for the best view.

Nintendo does have a policy against it from what I hear, but it's kind of outdated and most Nintendo representatives don't care. After all, it is a dumb and worthless policy.

That is unless it's something secret the public wouldn't know about, which raises the question: why would that stuff be in a public demo=??? :laugh:
Wait, did people think we were serious about the Mewtwo/Ridley/Game&Watch thing?
If you're talking about my comment... um... that was a joke. >.>
Yeah I don't think we're getting anything tonight.
Weekend Dojo updates are the best though. No. Really. Whenever they happen, it's something gigantic.

But yeah, you're probably right. Regardless, I think we're getting a new character or stage this week.

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
"We're gonna speculate about one thing and one thing only: The question mark character slot in World Hobby Fair 2014 flyer."

"I'm not going to conclude that there's going to be a character reveal tomorrow because of that character slot on the flyer, that's dumb. I don't even know what that means."

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
I heard rumors of a character reveal. The game comes out september 13 in japan, so we don't have long....

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Lol, so much for that. I'm hoping for something on Monday doe. Some big boi with big boi pants like Shulk or Wolf or Captain Falcon or something.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
...So the event is over. no point in holding out for a character reveal now, I'd say.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Anybody knows about footage of this event? I heard Nietono and other japanese pro smashers went to this, some of them must have fresh info.

:059:

Wenz

Smash Cadet
You guys are looking at the image wrong. You must look way beyond the white question mark and past the grey shadows.
Shadow confirmed.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Six Question Marks in the name box.

These names have six letters.

RIDLEY
MEWTWO
CHORUS
MEDUSA
GIYGAS
MEDEUS