• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Argument

brianmercury

Smash Cadet
The argument is that in friendly matches is edge
hogging acceptable (note: edge hogging not edge gaurding, as in you
hold the edge and maybe roll so that they can't grab it).

half of our group say its legitiment way to kill an opponent and if you were to take it out you
would be giving unfair advantage to certain characters. For example a
capt. Falcon is easier to edge hog than a shiek. A C. Falc has an
advantage when on the stage but when you get himn off you usually have
the advantage. If you take edgehogging away the C. Falc would have a
improved advantage when off the stage making his character less
balanced.
The half argue that the game is already not balanced, and the advantaged gained by some characters does not necessarily favor the higher tiered, hence not making the game less balanced, just slightly different. They think that you should do something cooler, like and off edge dolphin slash or a ledgehope spike, because they're friendlies anyway. Tourneys are a different story, they understand that edgehogging is completely fair and necessary in a tourney setting.
anyway thoughts would be apreciated. :)

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
Well, i think friendlies are different in every place, its not like another set of rules appart from Competitive playing or Casual playing, i see friendlies just as any other match, but with a bit more of fooling around, whenever i play friendlies, as far as i know everything is accepted, at least where i play and who i play with, it just like less serious matches.

It depends a lot on who you're playing with, but as said before, I think its different everywhere, in fact in many friendlies items are used, theres a big example of who friendlies can differ from place to place.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Since it doesn't really matter who wins a friendly, abandoning an edgehog that would have definitely KO'd the opponent so you can jump out and try something ridiculous is pretty fun. Especially if it's something like walljump knee, or ledgehop reverse Falcon Punch.

But if you feel the need to practice specific things about edgehogging (timing the getup roll so you don't get hit by their upB, forcing them to recover differently so you can attack afterwards, etc.), they should respect that. Usually the people I play with dislike when anyone doesn't try their hardest, aka sandbagging.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
it doesn't really matter who wins a friendly.
You play it whatever way you want. It's a friendly. Rivalries aren't going to start, nobody's gonna get mad, and it's not that important anyway. I think it should be allowed - it's implimented in the game, and what's the point of not using it. Yes it's unfair to certain characters, but to some characters that technique is really important. Why not use it?

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
lke yoshi`sthebomber7, thats and adventage for certain characters and a disadventage for anothers, thats the game and well, yeah, you can use it whenever you or anyone want.. and well, trying things in place that just do what u do in tourneys, u can learn things u didnt know, and aplly them to your game, trying new things, makes u gain self confidence in the game..

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
In friendlies you practice the real meta-game.
You need to fight eachother as hard as you can, not edgehogging is taking almost HALF the game away.
There are counters to edge-hogging and it is completly fair, if it wasn't people wouldn't enjoy the game.
The only thing that isn't very friendly is easy infinites such as wobbling. BUT.... you can STILL do it, just expect your friends to be pissed

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Another point, In friendlies its always good to practice something new.
so, go ahead and try different edge-hogging techs.
You'll benefit from it, and if your friends never mix it up they wont get better so its an investment in the first place :p

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
I dunno how much Falcon gets messed up by edgehogging. I'd say that it's the cape that gets him the worst. And also shinespikes.

But yeah, edgehogging is legit. Some people say that it's cheap, but there are many ways to get gimped in the game, and edgehogging, while annoying, is not the worst of them.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Everybody can edgehog, and it doesn't change strategy in a game-breaking way, so I see no reason why it should be disallowed.

Top Bottom