• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

smash 64, better than brawl?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Because Brawl actually has a few guaranteed combos that make me happy enough since the scrubs I usually play against have no idea how to use them? ^^

Karma*~

Smash Cadet
I seriously don't see how you think a game without combos is better then a game with broken combos =\
Answer.

Some people don't like playing broken metagames. Simple enough. It's all a matter of opinion. Due to the competitive nature of Smashboards, more people of a competitive mind are here, and thus, the opinion of the majority is as such: whatever the majority's opinion is.

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
"Because I'm not a fan of games with fairly easy and reliable 0 to death combos."

I LOL'd.
Just because it's easily done on YOU, doesn't mean it's easily done in general.
Once again, I LOL'd.

And Karma*~, of course it's a matter of majority. But A2ZOMG should realize, at least by now, that he's in the Smash 64 boards, where people like Smash 64. Bringing in an argument about Brawl > Smash 64 isn't too smart for social. This is like going to a Halo tournament and yelling "HALO SUCKS BALLS!" in front of all the players.

All Im sensing from reading this is A2ZOMG does not like Smash 64 because he's not so good playing it.
He feels he's better in Brawl; so therefore, he likes Brawl more.

aequitas.veritas

Smash Apprentice
"Because I'm not a fan of games with fairly easy and reliable 0 to death combos."

I LOL'd.
Just because it's easily done on YOU, doesn't mean it's easily done in general.
Once again, I LOL'd.

And Karma*~, of course it's a matter of majority. But A2ZOMG should realize, at least by now, that he's in the Smash 64 boards, where people like Smash 64. Bringing in an argument about Brawl > Smash 64 isn't too smart for social. This is like going to a Halo tournament and yelling "HALO SUCKS BALLS!" in front of all the players.

All Im sensing from reading this is A2ZOMG does not like Smash 64 because he's not so good playing it.

QFT QFT QFT QFT QFT QFT QFT QFT QFT QFT QFT do i need to say it once more QFT

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
This is where people are completely wrong and cannot read my posts at all. <<

In case you were reading my posts carefully I'm pretty sure I clearly stated this is the exact order I prefer the games taking bias into account.

Brawl > 64 > Melee.

Look, I so happen to like Melee the least out of all of the three games. And if you ask me why? It's almost definitely because I suck at it.

I'm probably the most competent 64 AND Brawl player out of all the scrubs I live with. Of course that doesn't really mean I'm any good I'll admit. I'll have to go to a tourney and have vids recorded for people to tell me that.

If you ask me which game has the best 1 vs 1? Melee before the others since it has the best of all systems combined. Brawl and 64 come about equal, but they are better and worse than each other in completely different categories from what I've seen.

If you ask me which one is best overall when you factor in extra features? Melee=Brawl>>64.

It might sound like I'm being overly critical of 64, but that is mainly because I'm not actually supporting either Brawl or 64's 1 vs 1 over each other, and because most of the people in these forums like 64 more than the others, and I understand that. Most of the people who want to argue though are trying to show why they think 64 is better than Brawl, so basically this limits me to saying what I think is better about Brawl.

I'd actually make this topic in the Brawl forums if I didn't think it would get lost, since the last time I seemed to get really unlucky when I made a topic or two in those forums.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Answer this question: Are mistakes meant to go unpunished?

There is a right answer and there is a wrong answer, so opinion has nothing to do with it.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Because I'm not a fan of games with fairly easy and reliable 0 to death combos. I mean it's funny, I've done stuff like that on an emulator (keyboard and all yes. Not necessarily 0 to death, but seriously combos can get really insane in 64 from what little I've seen and done).

Melee I mean yeah, you can 0 to death but it's a lot harder because of the larger number of things that could happen (and I can barely combo **** in Melee because my technical skill is bad). Brawl the air dodging system is a little too good, but it's closer to what I prefer since it avoids easy and reliable 0 to death combos for the most part (only problem left is rly lame stuff like Marth's CG on Ness which just simply should be banned).

EDIT: And yeah I know about hitstun. I suck and I try to L-cancel stuff and hit someone's shield, and of course it screws me up. XD

Likewise for laggy aerials in Brawl, you have to know exactly how high you are in the air before using some of these aerials over an air dodge since a small difference in spacing can make you pay dearly in lag, or make you w1n.
Replace combos with camping and you have the brawl metagame unless you play metaknight who is just broken as hell anyway.

What I saw in that second paragraph is "I like brawl because if my opponent outplays me and puts me in a bad position I have a guaranteed get out of jail free card".

Brawl limits most characters to only a few aerials some of which aren't even that good anyway just because you can't autocancel them and they don't have good enough stun to be worth using.

In brawl you only get punished if A) You're at killing percent or B) You can be chaingrabbed by your opponent.

I don't hate brawl that much as I play it and I don't play 64 on a high level but honestly you are either wrong on several things or have some pretty messed up reasoning for what you say.

aequitas.veritas

Smash Apprentice
when reading the last post i couldnt stop thinking about how true that is. camping>>>>combos in brawl and thats why i dislike it and most of the characters in brawl. they all have gay ways of winning and i dont like winning like that. or losing like that. take pikachu for instance. (note i do go a little off topic here but it needs to be said) i love pikachu in 64 so much that id consider him my main. i was very upset when i played melee for the first time, and upset that they didnt fix him in brawl. whats so wrong is that they not only took away combos from the best old characters, but they nerfed the amount of damage each move does too. 4-5 percent for uptilt and you cant even combo it? fair's damage is totally nerfed. they turned him into someone who should only spam downb and down smash and an occasional upsmash. totally gay.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
If your just going to browse the index of smashboards, look at the threads that are on top of forums, open them up and just post your reply without even giving a reason then you shouldn't even belong hear. I'm the one posting the shortest responses in this thread but at least I have logical reasons behind things. Back up "why" you think brawl is better because I'm really interested in seeing how you "think" it is.
I don't hate Smash 64, if that was what you were getting at.

There are people here who just say "Yes it is" yet you actually have to say it ONLY TO ME. I shouldn't have to say why I dont like it as much as Brawl while everyone else says 3 simple words.

You want a reason? Fine. I think Brawl is just a bit more focused than 64. I acknowledge the fact that 64 is indeed a more competative game, but developers don't aim at the competition, they aim at the fun, and that is why I think Brawl is better than 64: It's funner - in my opinion.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Also people have already posted reasons why they think 64 is better and it's been beaten to death x_o
Rofl, your saying that people have posted reasons why 64 is better and they all have failed? Other way around.

Just look at all the disputes with us against AZOMG. He went from protecting brawl to only liking brawl because he failed at the other 2 games.

WTF!

Smash Cadet
all the smash are fun why do u people fight they are marely the same

smash 64 WARE good times, melee WARE good times, brawl is NOW good times

Zantetsu

Smash Master
all the smash are fun why do u people fight they are marely the same

smash 64 WARE good times, melee WARE good times, brawl is NOW good times
Just.. get out. You obviously don't know what your talking about. There not even close to the "same".

Zantetsu

Smash Master
wut do u mean by ANY im just asking so dont flame :(

An example will be good
Brawl has pretty much 0 combos. I think there may be a few 2-3 hits that can be combos but other then that, you can simply air dodge to get out of an attack.

Melee and 64 on the other hand, you can actually do a lot of combos. Makes the game a whole lot more fun imo.

WTF!

Smash Cadet
Brawl has pretty much 0 combos. I think there may be a few 2-3 hits that can be combos but other then that, you can simply air dodge to get out of an attack.

Melee and 64 on the other hand, you can actually do a lot of combos. Makes the game a whole lot more fun imo.
yeah, in brawl is u do a air dodge and ur on the floor.

the jiggly attacks in the air are useless in brawl and thats the point of jiggly been able to jump more than the others(to jigle u in the air)

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure Jiggs still has wall of pain in Brawl.
What I think you are is a person who doesn't play at the advanced tech level, which for you, would make all the games basically the same. For the players that do L-cancel and know their advanced techs, these games are radically different.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Rofl, your saying that people have posted reasons why 64 is better and they all have failed? Other way around.

Just look at all the disputes with us against AZOMG. He went from protecting brawl to only liking brawl because he failed at the other 2 games.
I meant how you said it.

I meant "beaten to death" as in repeated alot because it's true. I thought such a saying was common but I guess not.

I said "also" in reference to your post because it's another reason the 64 side is done suggesting points; pro brawl hasn't said anything of substance.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I meant how you said it.

I meant "beaten to death" as in repeated alot because it's true. I thought such a saying was common but I guess not.

I said "also" in reference to your post because it's another reason the 64 side is done suggesting points; pro brawl hasn't said anything of substance.
Y'know, when I was posting that, I somehow felt that I understood your post wrong.

My apologizes.

Sensei

Smash Lord
Brawl is a better game because it has better graphics, more characters, more stages, wifi play, an awesome story line, and a stage bulider! And don't forget the coin launcher! This game has ulimited replayability, I can play this for weeks and not get bored! Maybe instead of trying to do your fancy z button smashing that requires no timing and all luck, you should see the amazingness that is brawl. Plus olimar is in brawl, he is like the coolest character, he can win without fighting at all lol.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Brawl is a better game because it has better graphics, more characters, more stages, wifi play, an awesome story line, and a stage bulider! And don't forget the coin launcher! This game has ulimited replayability, I can play this for weeks and not get bored! Maybe instead of trying to do your fancy z button smashing that requires no timing and all luck, you should see the amazingness that is brawl. Plus olimar is in brawl, he is like the coolest character, he can win without fighting at all lol.
yah i no, brawl actually takes skill unlike melee or ssb64 were every pro just glitches theyr way to victory.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
finaly someone gets it!!!

Olimar owns brawl ...and Ike fights for his friends...what a nice guy :o

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
"Maybe instead of trying to do your fancy z button smashing that requires no timing and all luck"

I LOL'd once or twice. Then I looked at my monitor sternly. :|

killa k

Smash Ace
brawl for fun = yay (or just an ok)
brawl for competitive play = wtf phail

64 for fun = yay
64 for competitive play = yay

nuff said

Pikario

Smash Rookie
Dont get me wrong, Brawl is a fun game and all, but it doesnt compare to its ole grampa on the 64. I never really got into melee so I wont discuss that much.

Reason one - Reflector Sheilds. I mained fox in the 64 version. why? well he was one of the better players, good speed, good throw, my friends hated the laser, etc. But fox had something noone else had, the reflector sheild(ness could reflect stuff with his bat but no1 could consistently do that). Now in brawl anyone thats anybody can reflect crap. its almost like your unique if you dont have one. some fools even have multiple ones. On brawl I have lost all interest in playing with reflective characters.

Reason two - Stages. They were so much better back then. Simple, yet all unique. not many maps can match hyrule castle, fox's spaceship, or the kirby level with the tree. not to mention all the other great ones. They let you play melee maps in brawl which is nice, but not the original classics!

Reason Three - Stuntimes. I never really got into all the instacombos in the 64 version but I strung together some small combos here and there. i mean in brawl sometimes if you hit someone and your move has long recovery people can hit you back before you can run or sheild or hit again. wtf.

Final thoughts - Learning curve. the 64 version required decent skill to actually be good. Those with lots of practice will totally destroy those that are somewhat new to the game, even those that are decent. Anyone can be halfway competitive at brawl. My bro had the game for a couple months, I came home and could almost beat him after a few times playing (he still beats me almost every time but thats because he only plays no items, calm levels, to take out all chance. at least I get close most of the time)

You should get to play 64 on wii. Man I would never play brawl again.

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
this game has zero to death combos
unfortunately, brawl does not include this feature
melee had less, but melee in general takes more skill than 64
though i still prefer the 64 version because of the graphics
i don't know what it is, but somehow the 64 version's graphics are very enchanting
you can see king dedede peacefully floating across the dreamland level
does brawl have dreamland? no = instant failure! dreamland 64.
anyway, brawl has very few advanced techniques. shorthopping being only one of them.
but you can TRIP in that game, let me scream at sakurai some more for the moment
unfortunately there is no L-cancel in brawl, no wavedash or waveland (well there is wavelanding for certain characters but it is much harder to do and is basically just for show, never to be used in a real match)
anyway in smash 64 you could pull off combos and be very artistic with them.
brawl is just trading hit for hit. oh well. it's over now.

Ramses99

Smash Rookie
Man, I really wish I had a competitive mindset around the time of at least melee. I only played casual in that game (i was a younger, simpler lad). It wasn't until brawl that I actually started to play on more serious terms. I don't know why I changed then but it happened at the wrong time. Reading this topic makes me really want to go back and play melee again (I know this is about 64 but I don't have access to that). I take it most of you would encourage that?

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Man, I really wish I had a competitive mindset around the time of at least melee. I only played casual in that game (i was a younger, simpler lad). It wasn't until brawl that I actually started to play on more serious terms. I don't know why I changed then but it happened at the wrong time. Reading this topic makes me really want to go back and play melee again (I know this is about 64 but I don't have access to that). I take it most of you would encourage that?
Your desire to become competitive in Brawl stems from the fact that its easy and happens over night.....its been proven that people will be more likly, to take part in somethng they can see progress FAST in, then something that requires time.

Sensei

Smash Lord
The learning curve is steeper and longer for both ssb64 and melee compared to brawl. That means it will take longer (more difficult) to reach a higher advanced level of play. It also means there is a higher potential and metagame in the first two smash games. It feels more rewarding to get a kill and win in the ssb and melee because it requires more skill. I play brawl casually, but I'm going to give some brawl tournaments a try. In my first brawl tournament, I got 9th out of about 40 people. I got last seed in pools so I got a "harder" bracket but I was still able to beat a few good people and take matches off of people that are considered good at the game and have marginally more (Brawl) tournament experience than me. This shouldn't be the case for a competitive fighting game. The better person should have a higher win:lose ratio against scrubs. I'm going to try to go to another brawl tournament in a couple weeks and see how I do, though I'm mostly doing it for fun and hang out lol.

Ramses99

Smash Rookie
hmm, yeah your probably correct. But this fact shouldn't stop me from going back and retrying the older games.

andrewg

Smash Apprentice
Someone needs to host a ssb/ssbm/ssbb tournament.

Competitive level: ssbm > ssb > ssbb.

Although, ssb can be a pretty competitive game just like melee is.

For competitive play:
- Brawl: Little to no practice is required to be a good player.
- Melee: Much practice is needed. Almost too much.
- Original: A lot of practice is needed, but you can be pretty good to start out.

Top Bottom