• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
That would be awesome. It's about time Nintendo recognized gamers support of women's rights.
What the hell am I reading? o_O

Nintendo putting a playable female character in Zelda means supporting women's rights? What kind of twisted logic is this?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
What the hell am I reading? o_O

Nintendo putting a playable female character in Zelda means supporting women's rights? What kind of twisted logic is this?
It's not just Zelda U, Frosty, think about it, we now have Rosalina and Palutena in Smash, and pretty soon there's more to come. And there's also a ton of female playable characters in Hyrule Warriors

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Though, isn't the point of a community to come together to support a common love? In this case Smash.
Wouldn't competition get in the way. Wouldn't it all just feel like pointless fighting?
You raise a point there, but there is some thought process to this. Let's face it, Smashboards isn't a friendly place for certain kinds of players. This ends up driving them away from the smash scene forever and kinda makes us all look bad.

AllIsBrawl did do something good when Brawl WiFi was strong, our community had a place for wifi things but it was generally laughed at and ridiculed as an example, so AllIsBrawl did well.

We even had something similar in PSASBR (one of the only good things we did) where certain forums really were better for certain things.(I wont list em since a ton are shut down now anyways do to the game sucking so bad.) We have this now: Smash news is easily available on the subreddit, in depth guides here on Smashboards, trollin around or just posting fun stuff /v/ and GameFaqs, etc.

The only issue is Smashboards is a glitchy mess. This place does have TONS of historic threads on it worth keeping, but what good does that do if you can't even find them with the busted search function? It might be nice to start fresh with the next smash franchise, even if it was Smashboards itself just separating things a bit better.

I will say this (not just because I'm That 3DS Guy) I have a HUGE feeling something like AllIsBrawl will happen with the 3DS at the rate things are going. Everyone I talk to heavily invested in it really has a WAY different mindset then the old guard here and it's going to cause fights (like Melee vs Brawl). I would not be surprised that if the console and those who do stuff on it can't find respect here and are ridiculed for wanting to play it competitively (already happening) they'll make another site to play in piece.

(Plus I've already been asked by several different folks if I'd do it myself, not that it means much. I'd rather just see this place get better but if I actually had a huge audience I wouldn't be dumb enough to not supply the demand.)

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's not just Zelda U, Frosty, think about it, we now have Rosalina and Palutena in Smash, and pretty soon there's more to come. And there's also a ton of female playable characters in Hyrule Warriors
There's no correlation between putting more female characters and supporting women's rights.

If said female character happens to be pandering with fanservice (to which Nintendo is no stranger to, despite the family friendly reputation they have), I wouldn't call it supporting women's rights.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
What are Peach, Zelda, Sheik, and Samus in Smash, then?

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I don't think games need to have gender options if you are supposed to be a set character. The only games where gender options should be necessary are ones where you are an empty template that can be customized to represent yourself. If LoZ were to have a playable female, I'd prefer if Zelda was playable over a gender-bent Link.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Adding female characters just to have one is the same as adding in a black character just to have one. Mortal Kombat did both at the start of its lifetime for those reasons, how well did that go?

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Sometimes I wonder what a "right" is.

I mean, what is a "right", but a privilege decided and chosen by the elite or those in power?

Anything can be a "right" if they want it to be.

I guess the closest thing to a "right" is a right to exist, and some people don't even get that.

Do I really have "rights"?

There's no correlation between putting more female characters and supporting women's rights.

If said female character happens to be pandering with fanservice (to which Nintendo is no stranger to, despite the family friendly reputation they have), I wouldn't call it supporting women's rights.
Speaking of which, we need more nudists, autistics/aspies, homosexuals, minor-attracted people, insectial couples, multiple-partnered couples, transsexuals, transracials, disabled people, jews, and muslims in video games. As someone with Asperger's, this is of the upmost importance for me. I say we start with Smash Bros.

I don't think games need to have sex options if you are supposed to be a set character. The only games where sex options should be necessary are ones where you are an empty template that can be customized to represent yourself. If LoZ were to have a playable female, I'd prefer if Zelda was playable over a gender-bent Link.
I wouldn't mind a sex-swapped Link if there was a male Zelda as well.

....lol.
I don't have anything else to say but "lol.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Speaking of which, we need more nudists, autistics, homosexuals, minor-attracted people, insectial couples, multiple-partnered couples, transsexuals, transracials, disabled people, jews, and muslims in video games. I say we start with Smash Bros.
Being disabled myself, that now makes me wonder if there has actually ever been a game with a disabled character in it with any prominence...

Morbi

Scavenger

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Well kids, this is honestly such a stupid argument, I'm outta here!

Haha I'm just kidding. I'll be back, I just gotta get up and go exercise before the storm comes in.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
It's still only 3 female playable characters, which is pretty low if you ask me.
Because 9 in a roster of about 50 compared to 4 in a roster of 25 is so much better.

In case you can't do ratios, that's about the same ratio with only a slight increase generally speaking this game.

Khoru

Smash Champion
Speaking of which, we need more nudists, autistics/aspies, homosexuals, minor-attracted people, insectial couples, multiple-partnered couples, transsexuals, transracials, disabled people, jews, and muslims in video games. As someone with Asperger's, this is of the upmost importance for me. I say we start with Smash Bros.
did you just lump pedophiles in with disabled people, marginalized sexual groups, and entire races

Morbi

Scavenger
Adding female characters just to have one is the same as adding in a black character just to have one. Mortal Kombat did both at the start of its lifetime for those reasons, how well did that go?
Which character did Mortal Kombat add as a token black character? I was not aware of one unless you are talking about Jax for some reason. If that is the case, please cite a source.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Guys, we need more male characters because we need to defend men's rights! :troll:

Seriously, I dislike excessive political correctness. It's the other end of the spectrum and just as bad.

Being disabled myself, that now makes me wonder if there has actually ever been a game with a disabled character in it with any prominence...
Being disabled/handicapped myself, I don't give a **** whether there are handicapped people on fiction or not.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Because 9 in a roster of about 50 compared to 4 in a roster of 25 is so much better.

In case you can't do ratios, that's about the same ratio with only a slight increase generally speaking this game.
I AM WELL INSTRUCTED IN ARITHMETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, Sakurai has said absolutely nothing about limiting Female characters.

Khoru

Smash Champion
i mean it's nice having representation of various groups in works but not if it's just for muh tokenism

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Which character did Mortal Kombat add as a token black character? I was not aware of one unless you are talking about Jax for some reason. If that is the case, please cite a source.
I guess I don't have a source, though adding him alongside a woman so they had both in MK2 isn't horribly impossible. Honestly, the reason I though this was the case is tons of people have randomly told me it was so and since I don't follow MK that well I trusted them.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
did you just lump pedophiles in with disabled people, marginalized sexual groups, and entire races
I suspect by minor-attracted people, he meant ephebophiles (attraction to post-pubescent adolescents, or legal minors), as opposed to pedophiles (attraction to pre-pubescent children).

Better to be attracted to sixteen year-olds than six year-olds. Not that this doesn't have murky undertones in itself, regarding topics of consent and maturity and whatnot.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I AM WELL INSTRUCTED IN ARITHMETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, Sakurai has said absolutely nothing about limiting Female characters.
I never even said that.

I'm saying that those 4 playable females that "aren't all that much" isn't really any better now.

It's nearly the exact same ratio. The only reason it seems like a big increase is because ZSS was the only female added in Brawl.

Morbi

Scavenger
i mean it's nice having representation of various groups in works but not if it's just for muh tokenism
I do not necessarily believe that one can avoid "muh tokenism" if they design a character with the intent of the character to represent a certain race, ethnicity, religion, gender, group, etc.

I guess I don't have a source, though adding him alongside a woman so they had both in MK2 isn't horribly impossible. Honestly, the reason I though this was the case is tons of people have randomly told me it was so and since I don't follow MK that well I trusted them.
I suppose most people see the one black character and they presume him to be a token character despite being one of the most developed characters in the game (which is not really saying much, to be honest).

Edit- To clarify, Sonya Blade was a token female character, but Jax was not a token African American.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
There you have it! We have 3 Female newcomers in this title as opposed to 1 in Brawl.
We had three in Melee, FOUR if you count Nana.

This is nothing new, so why are you saying it's a recent development?

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Guys, we need more male characters because we need to defend men's rights! :troll:

Seriously, I dislike excessive political correctness. It's the other end of the spectrum and just as bad.

Being disabled/handicapped myself, I don't give a **** whether there are handicapped people on fiction or not.
:denzel:

That's sort of my view too. I've never been a fan of political correctness, especially when it's shoved into the media or Pop Culture. Though I wouldn't mind seeing more Black or Hispanic main characters in games, being Black/Hispanic guy myself. It's just not a major priority of mine.

What is a major priority is playing a game that's fun.

Jax was originally supposed to be in MK1. But was swapped with Sonya, as they lacked any other female characters at the time. Not that it matters all that much now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom