• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Thread 5.0: ITT - ANYTHING CAN CHANGE! Including the page we end at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
It's amazing that people still hate the 3DS version's existence solely because the ICs were cut. Between the two, I have more access to play the 3DS version regularly.

D

Deleted member

It's amazing that people still hate the 3DS version's existence solely because the ICs were cut. Between the two, I have more access to play the 3DS version regularly.
I'd take handheld Smash Bros. (something I've wanted for years now) over an unnecessary duo of characters (my opinion) any day. Sorry.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd give anything to have the Icies back...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You ever have those words that people say differently? You all know the ones. It's different for everyone, but believe me, it exists. When someone says a word differently and it just seems so inherently WRONG to you that it actually bothers you.

For me, that word is bagel. For God's sake, people. BAY-gul. Not BEG-ul or BAA-gul. God.

I had to get that off my chest.

Soul.

I'd much rather have my precious handheld Smash.
SoPo works at lea---- *rekt by "it runs their character"*

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd much rather have my precious handheld Smash.
SoPo works at lea---- *rekt by "it runs their character"*
Real talk, I never got the "It ruins their character" argument. Hell, in Ice Climber, you only controlled one anyway. I'd take SoPo over NoPo any day.

Soul.

Playing SoPo would at least make players have skill to use the character properly.
If the 3DS had better power, Nana would be fine. But alas.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, he was once considered a Sony mascot because his first 3 games were Sony exclusive. But Spyro has a better relationship with Nintendo, overall. 5 of his games (6 if you include the Wii U exclusive version of Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure in Japan), were only on Nintendo systems. (And Spyro's Adventure was originally gonna be a Wii exclusive only. Also, the 3DS versions of Skylanders games are always unique.)
To be fair, most people I know who are Spyro fans either remember the Sony exclusives more fondly than the Nintendo exclusives or haven't touched the latter at all.

I honestly don't see how Spyro is dead. He's very much alive and relevant.
I believe nostalgia is the cause of this misunderstanding.
I think it has more to do with (1) Spyro isn't even the poster boy of his own series anymore, and (2) not everyone holds Skylanders in a high regard.

Honestly, I think Crash Bandicoot, a fellow Activision character who was also once considered a PlayStation mascot, is more dead than Spyro at this point. We haven't seen the former in a new game in half a decade, and then he just faded into obscurity.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I have a deep hatred for Ice Climbers from Brawl.

I legit want to see them burn and never come back. My nightmares will be free...
Well they're Ice Climbers, so it won't take that long to melt. Maybe burn them at a high temperature so they melt into history faster.

Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

R0Y

Smash Master
Playing SoPo would at least make players have skill to use the character properly.
If the 3DS had better power, Nana would be fine. But alas.
I'm just annoyed that we lost the Ice Climbers on Wii U for the sake of roster parity.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
To be fair, most people I know who are original Spyro fans either remember the Sony exclusives more fondly than the Nintendo exclusives or haven't touched the latter at all.
I felt the need to add the word "original" to your quote because by omitting that, it suggests that fans of the Legend of Spyro or Skylanders Spyro are not legitimate fans of Spyro. Even though they are.
But anyways, the thing is that, yes, the first three games define the original Spyro--but the overall history of this purple dragon, encompassing all three versions of him, is much bigger than those games, and it does lean slightly more to Nintendo than to Sony.

I think it has more to do with (1) Spyro isn't even the poster boy of his own series anymore, and (2) not everyone holds Skylanders in a high regard.
1. I already explained it in an earlier post. He still has several distinctions in the games:
"Having played every game in the Skylanders series, I have to disagree. I will concede that Activision just mentioned Spyro in the title to get more $$$. However, he still does have a few distinctions in the series. 1: He is the leader of the modern Skylanders. 2: He has the most figurines out of all the Skylanders (Series 1, Dark, Legendary, Series 2, Series 3, Series 3 Dark). 3: One of the Skylanders, Trigger Happy, would shoot gold coins as bullets and they used to have Spyro on them (I don't know if this is still true--I have to check). 4: There is a form of currency you can pick up that resembles Spyro. 5: In the game, there are collectible hats which you can equip to your Skylanders. One of them (the Trucker Hat) has Spyro on it. 5: In the 3DS version of Swap Force, there is a statue of Master Eon with Spyro next to him."

2. Yes, there are some people who don't like Skylanders, but the general consensus is in favor of it. No matter how you spin it, Skylanders is a successful series. (And it is pretty fun, in my opinion :)).

Honestly, I think Crash Bandicoot, a fellow Activision character who was also once considered a PlayStation mascot, is more dead than Spyro at this point. We haven't seen the former in a new game in half a decade, and then he just faded into obscurity.
Crash Bandicoot had a game in 2010. It was a mobile game, however, but it still is a game. It's called Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2.

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Sorry the current conversation doesn't suit your liking...?

No one's forcing you to stay for a topic you don't care for, you know...
I like the ICs, it's just that some people really are extremists on the matter.

D

Deleted member

Yes, there are some people who don't like Skylanders, but the general consensus is in favor of it. No matter how you spin it, Skylanders is a successful series.
As someone who is not into Skylanders, I have to agree with this.

Crash Bandicoot had a game in 2010. It was a mobile game, however, but it still is a game. It's called Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2.
Yeah, I had that in mind when I was typing my previous post. Still, it doesn't seem like Activision has any plans for the series at this point, though I'd like to be wrong.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Real talk, I never got the "It ruins their character" argument. Hell, in Ice Climber, you only controlled one anyway. I'd take SoPo over NoPo any day.
I don't know about "ruins their character," but it does change a fundamental core about them. Remember that when Sakurai does design these characters, he does it with a core mechanic in mind, and that is no different with the Ice Climbers. When you think about them, you think about their mechanic, which is having two characters work together to take on the foe. The other may be AI controlled, but the spirit is still there as you're still utilizing two characters to carry out their moveset. Changing that just to get one of them in means losing that mechanic, and considering that it was one of the reasons they were picked in the first place, I feel that Sakurai thinks that bringing them back on their own won't do them justice. He wants to preserve what gave them their character, and while I'm sure he knows how much we miss them, he doesn't want to sacrifice too much about them to do it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'd never thought would see the day that Zangief would wreck John Cena in a chain wrestling match. :troll:

It is a good thing I've decided to go to a live WWE show with my old man. It's kind of the first time that I am having a personal guy's night out. Though the best match for me was when Sheamus forced Ziggly to kiss his *** in the end. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

The big question is, would you rather go for a handheld Smash or Ice Climbers?

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Maybe the Ice Climbers will return in Smash 5. Since the consoles will be stronger, they should be able to handle them.
(Question: Can the New 3DS handle 8 pairs of Nanas and Popos fighting at once?)

D

Deleted member

Maybe the Ice Climbers will return in Smash 5. Since the consoles will be stronger, they should be able to handle them.
(Question: Can the New 3DS handle 8 pairs of Nanas and Popos fighting at once?)
I don't think it's powerful enough still.

D

Deleted member

Ice Climbers. I would be glad to not have a handheld Smash if it meant that there wouldn't have to be sacrifices.
I'd (obviously) go for the former as it's something I've wanted for years. I never cared for the Ice Climbers. But that's me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ice Climbers. I would be glad to not have a handheld Smash if it meant that there wouldn't have to be sacrifices.
Basically this for me. They were a huge part of why I loved Smash Bros.

But what's done is done I suppose.

Also I'm really thinking of getting Castlevania. It looks really fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom