• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Thread 5.0: ITT - ANYTHING CAN CHANGE! Including the page we end at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Soul Blazer... His most recent posts show him throwing a fit in the Robin Social. He was the salty version of Soul when it came to speculah. His posts were filled with /v/ mannerisms.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
It's been years since I last got a console for a gift...
And my parents have more than enough money...
Is not about money entirely, a console is a big stuff now. For example I had to be complete perfection in school to convince my mom to get me a Wii in 2007

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You do know the "good idea" was actually a 2007 short film of the same name, right?

Still, they could have done something with it. Say what you want about Hollywood, but there's a lot they could've done with a AAA budget.
And yet, they didn't.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I'm gonna ask an honest question...

Does anyone here legitimately enjoy watching somebody else legit speedrun a game(s)?

I don't get the appeal of it at all. The fact they manage to hold charity events for it also baffles me.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Before:
link01.gif

After:
Power01.png

Every young link sprite I touch will become "Powersized."

I'm bored.

Soul.

Soul Blazer... His most recent posts show him throwing a fit in the Robin Social. He was the salty version of Soul when it came to speculah. His posts were filled with /v/ mannerisms.
Eh. It's not Dark Souls anymore. Salty Souls.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681

Does anyone here legitimately enjoy watching somebody else legit speedrun a game(s)?

I don't get the appeal of it at all. The fact they manage to hold charity events for it also baffles me.
No, although I don't enjoy watching anybody playing a game at all. I only watch those videos when I need help with something now.
I used to enjoy the 0 Power Stars SM64 run years ago, though.

How the hell does one make a film on emoji?
Eh, I predict the protagonists will be emojis who live a human life and something happens.

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
No, although I don't enjoy watching anybody playing a game at all. I only watch those videos when I need help with something now.
I used to enjoy the 0 Power Stars SM64 run years ago, though.
I can listen to/watch playthroughs of people casually playing through a game while bantering, along the lines of Game Grumps or BrainscratchComms. As long as the banter isn't SOLELY about the game they're playing, and if the banter is funny.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Probably going to hate myself, but I might still make plans to see Pixels. It can't be worse than The Last Airbender (I'm still disgusted just thinking of it).

But there are 2 things from the trailers that are really rubbing me the wrong way on Pixels:

A Smurf - While there has been Smurf games, none of which left a mark in video game history. Obviously a leftover from Sony's contract with the Smurf films
That hot babe with 2 katanas - Unless she's from a game I'm not aware of, it's just a sad attempt for fan service.

Plus I can stomach bad films from time to time (The Last Airbender wasn't one of those).
If you don't really liked these 2 things:
We have shots of Q*Bert pissing himself.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333

I do. There's lots of excitement from seeing someone beating a game that would take a normal person weeks/months to finish in mere minutes/hours. People break the game and show off all these broken glitches most casuals haven't seen before. It's not just the glitches themselves that are exciting: it's how the speed runner uses them to complete the game in an insane amount of time that excites people. That part can be pretty hard to do, and it inspires people to speedrun.
Take this for example:
This is one of the most watched games of all time, mostly due to all the broken crap people have discovered and managed to execute over the years. Beating this game in this amount of time takes SPEED and SKILL, which is why it's really impressive.

Speed runs are also some of the reasons people like me discover new games (though not the SOLE reason). I wouldn't have shown interest in the Batman Arkham series if I didn't know how fluent the combat/movement was and the amount of glitches each game has. Same goes for Uncharted, Mirror's Edge, and even Outlast. Of course, all these games can be enjoyed casually, but speedruns increase their replay value, encouraging people to find out all the kinks, glitches, and ways to beat the game super fast.

This is why people like watching speed runs. They're fun, engaging, and exciting to watch/execute. I have done speedruns of Kingdom hearts re: coded and Zelda's Birthday on my channel, so I know my stuff. Speed runs aren't for everyone, but I consider them to be pretty interesting.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Depends on the game in question. But in general it's kinda like watching tournaments: Will it make me a better person? Probably not. But it's entertaining to see.

On the bright side, there's no where to go but up for this. We already hit the bottom of the barrel, so why not make a little home out of it?

If you don't really liked these 2 things:
We have shots of Q*Bert pissing himself.
Well they need to appeal to the Happy Madison crowd somehow.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333

Soul.

Speedrunning can be pretty entertaining at times. Seeing games, well, be completed as soon as possible is quite the hard task. I may not be able to do them, but eh. They're enjoyable.

"Different strokes for different folks."
We all know how this will play out:

the only thing that matters

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Speedrunning can be pretty entertaining at times. Seeing games, well, be completed as soon as possible is quite the hard task. I may not be able to do them, but eh. They're enjoyable.

"Different strokes for different folks."
Generally I only watch speedruns if they're completely insane, like this TAS of Super Mario 64 done in under 5 minutes.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Generally I only watch speedruns if they're completely insane, like this TAS of Super Mario 64 done in under 5 minutes.
Luigi: "Where-a you going, bro?"
Mario: "I'm-a saving the princess. I'll be back-a in ten minutes."

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
It's one thing to have one-dimensional stereotypes in a film. It's another thing when you have characters that are emoticons, DESIGNED TO BE BASED ON A SINGULAR EMOTION AND WILL HAVE NOTHING ELSE REDEEMABLE.

Unless they attempt something like Inside Out, but I highly doubt it. (P.S. I have not seen Inside Out yet.)
Inside Out is a fantastic movie, but emojis aren't even emotions, they represent a single action or object.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't watch gameplay videos much, so watching speedruns is a rare thing for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom