• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Thread 5.0: ITT - ANYTHING CAN CHANGE! Including the page we end at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Love...
The truest form of love isn't an emotion, it's not hormones, it's not a feeling, it's not some intellectual principle; it's an act of the will we must make, a deliberate choice at every juncture to want what is best for the other, wholeheartedly and unconditionally, at any cost to ourselves.
Well... Love means a lot of things. It's no longer just a concrete definition. The most popular definition is that it's a feeling, which has gone well for many but bad for A LOT of people. If that definition you defined works for you and others, great! I agree with yours, too, but it stinks that about millions of people would disagree with you.

Welp, time to stop playing characters I enjoy and just pick the top tier character in each game because **** trying to win while having the most fun I can, right?
This is what Sakurai feared. He wants us to enjoy the game and not be tier hogs, but some people play to win. Sad sad worlds, this is...

Soul.

If I wanted to, I could drop Pikachu right now because it's perceived as a top tier character. But no.

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
Love...
The truest form of love isn't an emotion, it's not hormones, it's not a feeling, it's not some intellectual principle; it's an act of the will we must make, a deliberate choice at every juncture to want what is best for the other, wholeheartedly and unconditionally, at any cost to ourselves.

"Greater love than this no man hath, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
...Caused by hormones

In other news I am back from Florida and Nichijou is a very good anime 10/10

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
This is what Sakurai feared. He wants us to enjoy the game and not be tier hogs, but some people play to win. Sad sad worlds, this is...
I know you're being some kind of humorous, but that's honestly my main gripe. That is, you're assumed to not be trying to win if you don't pick a top tier, and that's utter bull**** because the entire point of a fighting game is to beat your opponent

D

Deleted member

If I wanted to, I could drop Pikachu right now because it's perceived as a top tier character. But no.
I tried to face a competent Pikachu earlier with Shulk. Tried.

At least with Roy I managed to take a stock.

D

Deleted member

Meh, who cares? Even if Dedede turns out to be a low-tier character, I'll still main the character no matter what. Only "competitive" players rely on these things.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I'll play as Mewtwo (and Pichu in Melee) if I want, and no one's going to stop me!

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Well... Love means a lot of things. It's no longer just a concrete definition. The most popular definition is that it's a feeling, which has gone well for many but bad for A LOT of people. If that definition you defined works for you and others, great! I agree with yours, too, but it stinks that about millions of people would disagree with you.
I agree, it does mean a lot of things.
But, I wasn't talking about the other loves, I was talking about the truest love :D
...Caused by hormones
Why pursue this objection? You seem to know what my response shall be. Reductionist materialism is something I obviously reject.
Edit: Woops, I guess I shouldn't assume what you're getting at, @ Xcano Xcano

To the rest above:
Match-up charts are far more important than tier lists anyways.
The primary ways to gain in skill are to practice fundamentals such as spacing / zoning, tech skill, etc., and the other important mean is to study the interactions between given characters, particularly what fundamentals can and cannot be used against them.

Last edited:

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
Nobody will stop me from using Luigi. Even if he's considered one of the worst (Smash 64) or one of the best (Smash 4). HE'S MY LEAN GREEN MACHINE! Same goes for the other characters I tend to use a lot.

Good evening btw, fellas. I started paying attention again.

D

Deleted member

Only "competitive" players rely on these things.
I dunno if that's the right word here. A true competitor shouldn't care about your character choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I dunno if that's the right word here. A true competitor shouldn't care about your character choice.
Wait, now that you mention it, they shouldn't. Some like to brag about it though.
I was more or less talking about tier placements, so sorry for the confusion. If you had one, that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Trick or Treat

All this talk makes me really want to play some Smash right now. But I can't until tomorrow.

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
I agree, it does mean a lot of things.
But, I wasn't talking about the other loves, I was talking about the truest love :D
Why pursue this objection? You seem to know what my response shall be. Reductionist materialism is something I obviously reject.
Edit: Woops, I guess I shouldn't assume what you're getting at, @ Xcano Xcano

To the rest above:
Match-up charts are far more important than tier lists anyways.
The primary ways to gain in skill are to practice fundamentals such as spacing / zoning, tech skill, etc., and the other important mean is to study the interactions between given characters, particularly what fundamentals can and cannot be used against them.
Because I feel like it. Also you can manufacture love in a lab so you can say the feeling isn't material but the thing making the feeling most definitely is so eh

D

Deleted member

All this talk makes me really want to play some Smash right now. But I can't until tomorrow.
I've recently switched from Smash Bros. to NSMBU because I want to play other games besides the former. As for the 3DS, mt Circle Pad has been getting a problem, rendering the version unplayable for me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean I don't deny that tiers exist...but at the same time they're not going to dictate which characters I play as. Because either way, I'd likely do better with the trash characters I've played more extensively than the best characters I know nothing about. :p

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Characters I enjoy playing as: Ganondorf, Roy, Ryu, Luigi, Doc, Little Mac, Captain Falcon.

I have no idea what their tiers are and I have no intention on ever caring about it.
I made a dude rather unhappy beating his Melee Marth with my Melee Ganon. I thought that was kind of messed up, considering the only reason he's mad is for tier reasons.

Tier tears.

Tangamanga

Scrublord
NNID
Tangamanga
3DS FC
1650-3266-1148
So I discovered my cellphone can't handle Smashboards, many tears were shed.

How's everyone this lovely evening?

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
[insert obligatory "tires don exits"]

D

Deleted member

lol huh, FG? I've never played a competent Shulk with Pikachu.
Poor feels, they're deemed low tier. **** tiers.
Actual tournament. Even hyper arts cannot save Monado boy in the Pikachu matchup. Now there are 3 matchups where I would definitely rather play Roy.

T

Trick or Treat

I've recently switched from Smash Bros. to NSMBU because I want to play other games besides the former. As for the 3DS, mt Circle Pad has been getting a problem, rendering the version unplayable for me.
To be honest...after the first game I started to get bored of the NSMB series. Now they are only fun when playing with people.

I do need a new game, though. I have kind of drifted away from Destiny and Elder Scrolls Online to play Smash more.

Soul.

Like, I don't give a **** about tiers. I just happened to pick up Pika because uhh, idk? When the 3DS version demo came out, it was the only character I thought I was good with.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Characters I enjoy playing as: Ganondorf, Roy, Ryu, Luigi, Doc, Little Mac, Captain Falcon.

I have no idea what their tiers are and I have no intention on ever caring about it.
I made a dude rather unhappy beating his Melee Marth with my Melee Ganon. I thought that was kind of messed up, considering the only reason he's mad is for tier reasons.

Tier tears.
Whenever "Doc" appears next to Mac like it does in your post, my mind automatically goes to Doc Louis.

Doc Louis doesn't have a medical degree though.

T

Trick or Treat

My mains are the ones I enjoy playing as. There are other characters I enjoy, just not as good with them.

Lucina, Yoshi, Jigglypuff, Peach. I have no idea what their tiers are.

Tangamanga

Scrublord
NNID
Tangamanga
3DS FC
1650-3266-1148
Like, I don't give a **** about tiers. I just happened to pick up Pika because uhh, idk? When the 3DS version demo came out, it was the only character I thought I was good with.
And that's great, I mean, if you're good with that character and you enjoy playing as him, just go with it and enjoy the game you paid for.

My mains (The ones I'm actually good with) are Yoshi and Pit, Ike and Robin (Which I'm not as good playing as them but my fancy fire emblem lordz are hella)

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
*sees rainbows on the horizon*

Guess that's a sign I must buy the diecast lol

Regarding tiers I never cared so much, that's why I use :zelda: and :4lucina: (I main :pikachu64: only because is 3cute5you)

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
Whenever "Doc" appears next to Mac like it does in your post, my mind automatically goes to Doc Louis.

Doc Louis doesn't have a medical degree though.
Then explain Mac's miraculous healing from terminal brain injuries every week

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I like saying I main the random button because I have an easy time enjoying who I play no matter what. Besides Olimar.

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
I like using some other characters. Just depends on if I like them and or their playstyle.

I like Mario. He's fun, but I'm not really as good with him as Luigi because I have not mastered FLUDD and Cape shenanigans. XD Wario is a lot of fun and pretty good too. I wish he still had the shoulder bash f-smash, though. Roy's MY BOY! AND HE'S SO AWESOME! YEEEEEAH! Now I just need Wolf...

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
annnnd home from a bar i was dragged to for about 3 or 4 hours.
had some creepy old women touching my arm and stuff... wasnt pleasant :4bowser:

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
I'm all right I guess. Just finished watching the first season of Generation 1 Transformers. That's one thing off my to do list for the summer.
Spoiler alert

Optimus Prime dies
Starscream tries to usurp Megatron
Cybertron is a Transformer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom