• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Thread 5.0: ITT - ANYTHING CAN CHANGE! Including the page we end at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Random battle?

Changed my decision, I won't buy it. Seriously, I HATE RANDOM ENCOUNTER WITH PASSION!

Not to mention how it doesn't seem that the overworld help....you would really need a strong reason for me to enjoy the game...in these circumstances, I will get frustrated.
Yeah, if you hate random battles or unhelpful overworlds, you should seriously get as far away from EB Beginnings as possible :p
Well, better that you don't play it than you making the wrong purchase and getting frustrated.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Yeah, if you hate random battles or unhelpful overworlds, you should seriously get as far away from EB Beginnings as possible :p
Well, better that you don't play it than you making the wrong purchase and getting frustrated.
Look, I suck at multitasking, to have random battle disrupt the flow of you naviguating in the overworld leave me confused after each battle.

It helps if the battles are quick like GS or the overworld is linear, this sounds like the worst case scenario.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I wish there would be a boss battles mode where you can fight stage bosses and Mother Brain...and other assist bosses I guess.

Also, my favorite voice actress is playing Naruto's daughter in the new movie...not only am I not fond of Naruto's daughter, but I find that casting to be strange. I'll see how it plays out.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Not sure what you mean by logistic...

Unlike Earthbound, the game is open world for the most part, i.e. you can go anywhere, and no one tells you to go anywhere nor are you forced to. The only exception is the beginning of the game. In that respect it's sort of like a more RPG-ish version of Zelda I, as there are towns and NPCs(just like EB). The "humor" of EB is, while present, not as prevalent in the game. I mean, you still phone your dad to save and whatnot, but you won't be seeing characters like the Runaway Five or Mayor Monotoli, and even the NPC's aren't too memorable. It's more of an adventurous, quiet and somber-type of game in comparison, and overall the feeling it generates on you is much more subtle. For example, while EB may have a lot of build up towards you getting a new character in your party, EB Beginnings just throws them at you unexpectedly, you just meet them in your travels on the way, so in that respect it feels more fluid and a part of the game world rather than the game world orchestrating you to go and befriend a particular character. This is one aspect I really liked of the game, the quietness of it.

The game also has a lot, and I mean lots, of dead ends in its overworld, and there's a lot of space that may seem unnecessary, and these just muddle you up with random battles. Oh yeah, the battle system is typical of any NES RPG, so if you're used to EB's innovative one, then well you'll have to go back...your item space is also much less than EB, your attacks are worse, the enemies are harder, there's very little you can do if one of your characters is dead(remember that bit about dead ends and open worlds? Yeah, it's not really a good thing for your party when your only chances of reviving are hospitals in towns which, if you can even get there without getting lost, have even more random battles on the way)...just like a standard NES RPG basically :p

These all sound like really bad changes if you're used to how EB dealt with them. But if you view it as just another NES RPG, the game's structure is actually realistic(in a good way), you actually feel like you're a little boy in danger as aliens are attacking, and every event in the game feels like it happens more because of you than the game trying to set you up on a path, so in that sense the whole world of EB Beginnings just feels...alive. I played Beginnings first from the Mother trilogy, and it is easily my favorite of the 3. Transitioning from Beginnings to EB is easier, the changes are more than welcome, it's regressing back from EB to Beginnings that I imagine will be problematic.
I played EB before Beginnings and the regression hasn't really been problematic for me. Being aware of the differences before hand helped but the similarites between the two games help keep the games somewhat familiar.

The aspects you described liking really just seem like an unintentional part of the limitations and simpicity of games at the time.

As for the random battles, the encounter rate is whack in Beginnings. Sometimes I get 5 battles in three steps and then othertimes I can walk around for ages in the same area and not get any battles.

With the maps, I didn't really find them confusing. 'Dungeon' areas had dead ends but that's expected. Overworld areas had generally naivigable paths. Plus the in game map, while not totally clear, proved handy to ensure you were in fact heading towards a destination.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I played EB before Beginnings and the regression hasn't really been problematic for me. Being aware of the differences before hand helped but the similarites between the two games help keep the games somewhat familiar.

The aspects you described liking really just seem like an unintentional part of the limitations and simpicity of games at the time.

As for the random battles, the encounter rate is whack in Beginnings. Sometimes I get 5 battles in three steps and then othertimes I can walk around for ages in the same area and not get any battles.
That's actually worse because it's even less predictable...

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion

Well, the unintentional parts I liked are in comparison to that of Earthbound. I never really appreciated Beginnings until I played through Earthbound(And Mother 3). And you're right, there are similarities which ties the two games together but they're not gameplay battle-related at all, which may frustrate some people. I have heard of people not being able to get into Beginnings after EB, your experience is the first of it's kind I've heard of.

And yep, agreed on the encounter rate, though that too isn't really exclusive to Beginnings either..
As for your edit, yup I agree, except the overworld map actually is riddled with a lot of dead ends...especially in the Japanese version. Greatest example I could think of is the path you take to get to the last town(Yungtown I think).

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Well, the unintentional parts I liked are in comparison to that of Earthbound. I never really appreciated Beginnings until I played through Earthbound(And Mother 3). And you're right, there are similarities which ties the two games together but they're not gameplay battle-related at all, which may frustrate some people. I have heard of people not being able to get into Beginnings after EB, your experience is the first of it's kind I've heard of.

And yep, agreed on the encounter rate, though that too isn't really exclusive to Beginnings either..
As for your edit, yup I agree, except the overworld map actually is riddled with a lot of dead ends...especially in the Japanese version. Greatest example I could think of is the path you take to get to the last town(Yungtown I think).
Yeah, the English version received a lot of changes to make the game easier.
Maybe I've just been lucky because I seem to just get through the overworld really easily.

Also, I feel great to be one of a kind (though a little suprised). For me the battle differences didn't really bother me, it just really felt like another RPG. Similarly, Earthbound's battle system somewhat reminded me of the ATB in Final Fantasy games requiring you to think, respond and act accordingly to the battle really quickly.
I guess the similarities between the party members in the games also helps. Having the PSI users and the item users (Lloyd and Jeff) help to provide familiarity with the characters in battle.

One thing I like especially about Beginnings is that I found myself actually using abilities like Def. Up and Def. Down, whereas in EB I managed to only use restorative and offensive abilities.
Something I find odd about it though is the fact that all defensive equipment is available at the same time. I just went straight and bought the best stuff with the money I amassed with my trips to Magicant for healing and some quick grinding on my way out.

D

Deleted member

If Mother is named Earthbound Beginnings, and Mother 2 is named simply Earthbound, then what would Mother 3 be named, if it ever gets localized?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
@ PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate If it was explained in the original movie that they got dinosaur DNA from fossilized mosquitoes, where did they get mosasaurus DNA?
The same place they got Dilophosaur DNA

Since mosquito's didn't exist when Dilophosaur was around

Beached mosasaurus being bitten by a mosquito?
Or something like this

It mentions in Jurassic World Mosasaurs often dragged things from on land into water

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I wish I could get the exact Miis used for the promotional material for the DLC costumes...

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463

Roy is cool, but boy is he jealous.

Also, hi everyone.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
You can, of course. You just need to get the details right. If only Mii Maker transfers were online-based, I'd do some for you. Lol.
It looks terrible when I attempt to do it...plus I don't know what they set the height and weight as. :|

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
OMG

The CPU's were using custom sets

I was wondering why they were tougher than usual

I didn't know CPU's could use random sets when you set them to random...

So I was beating CPU's that had equipment on and custom moves

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
OMG

The CPU's were using custom sets

I was wondering why they were tougher than usual

I didn't know CPU's could use random sets when you set them to random...

So I was beating CPU's that had equipment on and custom moves
Now if there was some option to turn the equipment off. It's what turned me off from playing random matches with customizations on, because not knowing what character you'll be and which specials it has sounds really interesting, but I want to play as them with their regular 'stats', not as a tank Kirby or Ganondorf the Hedgehog.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't realize it until I faced Bowser Jr

Because Bowser Jr is the second most character I use

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I spent the entire morning and afternoon working on this. Not too shabby, I think.

If Mother is named Earthbound Beginnings, and Mother 2 is named simply Earthbound, then what would Mother 3 be named, if it ever gets localized?
Obviously EarthBound Endings. :troll:
Seriously though, given it's universally known as Mother 3, I won't be surprised if they kept that.

:231:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
*fires Ray Gun into the air several times*

NOW THAT I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION.

I have an honest question.

If I made a Smash Bros webcomic, would anyone here actually read it?

:4megaman:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
*fires Ray Gun into the air several times*

NOW THAT I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION.

I have an honest question.

If I made a Smash Bros webcomic, would anyone here actually read it?

:4megaman:
Why not?

What kind of comic though, adventure or comedy? (I prefer the latter.) :p

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Why not?

What kind of comic though, adventure or comedy? (I prefer the latter.) :p

Probably comedy, because I have very low endurance and adventure requires way more strips to get any kind of entertainment out of it.

I'm not nearly as skilled at art and writing as the average comic maker, but I've been wanting to make a Smash Bros comic for a while.

Yes, if it was Mega Man focused.
Maybe not COMPLETELY focused, but I can see him cropping up pretty often considering I have a bias towards him.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Maybe not COMPLETELY focused, but I can see him cropping up pretty often considering I have a bias towards him.
Well, I meant in the sense that Kirby and gang were basically the focus of Brawl in the Family despite it being a general Smash Bros. comic.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Well, I meant in the sense that Kirby and gang were basically the focus of Brawl in the Family despite it being a general Smash Bros. comic.
Then yeah, probably.

I have a few general social groups in mind that largely revolve around him, so once story based gags crop up he'd probably show up a LOT.

StarBlue

Smash Cadet
NNID
Striker56
3DS FC
2637-9769-6007
You should make one with Roy where the punchline is to make as many binding and sealing puns as possible just to piss him off that his game in localized terms is called The Binding Blade.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Sakurai. I have a question. Why, on all the animal you can use for hat for the Mii. The only one that isn't here is the rabbit? Seriously, why?:4rob:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom