• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The 64-style voices (and voice actor in Fox's case) are fine in their source material, but don't really fit in Smash IMO.
It's hard to take Falco seriously anymore when he goes from Brooklyn tough guy (Brawl) to 100% Snark (Smash 4).

Lucario, though? How can anyone say anything bad about Lucario getting his actual voice? AND having his iconic line actually be correct? ("The Aura is with me!")
Brawl's voice was just....ugh.

Only thing better would be Mewtwo returning with Phillip Bartlett reprising the role, though we know that's impossible even if Mewtwo came back.

Last edited by a moderator:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
The 64-style voices (and voice actor in Fox's case) are fine in their source material, but don't really fit in Smash IMO.
It's hard to take Falco seriously anymore when he goes from Brooklyn tough guy (Brawl) to 100% Snark (Smash 4).

Lucario, though? How can anyone say anything bad about Lucario getting his actual voice? AND having his iconic line actually be correct? ("The Aura is with me!")

Only thing better would be Mewtwo returning with Phillip Bartlett reprising the role, though we know that's impossible even if Mewtwo came back.
But Lucario doesn't have an actual voice. :roll:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
So I'm currently really trying to get better with Shulk among other newcomers. Have yet to improve on my work with the Monado Arts, but I've gotten decent with Shulk's general moveset aside from that. Still, gonna need to work on those Monado Arts. Very situation and strategical move, I'll honestly probably have an easier time getting the hang of it once I can get online and battle against actual people.

Training with CPUs is a pain for me...they're not hard or anything, but that's just it. I find it hard to improve with something that cannot put up much of a fight.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I still think Metaknight has one of the better voices in Smash, even though his voice is relatively unchanged from Brawl.

"COME BACK when you put up a better fight!" :4metaknight:

Hard to believe such a badass hails from the Kirby series.

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
Let me tell you all a story I think you'll all like.

There once was a large group, nay, a community of 115,000 (though many had likened it to an army) who all shared a common, if unusual interest. They all believed that a piece of artwork, crafted by a man by the name of Sakurai, would bring them redemption.

They waited eagerly, and often impatiently for Sakurai and his men to complete the work. Of course, Sakurai was by no means a beginner, and as his past works were commonly refered to as masterpieces, he had quite a lot to live up to. Throughout the seemingly endless wait, Sakurai strategically revealed little snippets of his piece, just enough to keep the interest of the community, and this proved to be the breeding grounds of anticipation, excitement, criticism and speculation.

Sakurai toiled hard, often refusing food just to add little touches to his work, even through bank holidays and Christmas alike (in the land where he lived, Christmas was a purely secular occasion) He received an injury to his left wrist, but ignored the pain, all for his followers.

All was well and good, until one day, a traitor among Sakurai's men had, out of spite, decided to try and spoil Sakurai's magnificent plan. He revealed much of the artwork's dark secrets to both Sakurai's enemies and followers. Many began to talk of Sakurai as a selfish, bigoted, fool who had pandered too much to himself and the followers who lived in his land. They believed that the charms of his previous works were absent and that the piece's flaws would prevent it from providing any happiness to anyone. At this, Sakurai was quite depressed, believing that even after all of his hard work, he had, in the end, failed.

However as the piece was handed in its case to / had finished "downloading" for @ FlappyFalco FlappyFalco @WarioBros. @Sehnsucht @CliffJumper @Enderman_Aura @Racoon @ Frostwraith Frostwraith @HunterNinjaReaperPirate98 @ Bedoop Bedoop @Dromader @ Kenith Kenith @KumaOso @augustoflores @Smooth Criminal @Kaye Cruiser @mimgrim @FalKoopa @Lozjam @Superyoshiom @Sil @PsychoIncarnate @Cap'nChreest @Captain Hotcakes @Fatmanonice @dimensionsword64 @Flight @Kermit the Ninja @Shrek_is_love @ RamOne RamOne @MSmariosonic @Pega-pony Princess @ KingofPhantoms KingofPhantoms @MorbidAltruism @N3ON @Rocket Raccoon @Chucklehead Tom and @Arigarmy , along with the rest of the artist's followers (not @ TJ-Works TJ-Works as he got his early, lucky ****ard) the memories of anticipation, excitement, criticism and speculation, converged into an impressive blast; made from the energy of positive emotion, which then sought out the soul of its ultimate creator.

Sakurai, now deep in repose, was hit with this blast, and the memories and emotions of his followers reassembled in his mind. With this, he woke with a start, but on realizing what had just occurred, grinned to himself and fell back to sleep, ignoring the gaping hole in his ceiling, for he knew that it was this energy that added an extra twenty years to his life.

The End~

I had meant to post this on the day of release, but I had to leave for Copenhagen that day, and only got around to it now. I thought this was a fitting end to three years of it all , hope you enjoyed. ;)[/USER]

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I still think Metaknight has one of the better voices in Smash, even though his voice is relatively unchanged from Brawl.

"COME BACK when you put up a better fight!" :4metaknight:

Hard to believe such a badass hails from the Kirby series.
Now, imagine that voice....with a face like this:

(last one)

It's so dissonant! :laugh:

Phazon117

Smash Rookie
NNID
Phazon117
3DS FC
0275-8911-6156
Still haven't beaten Classic on 9.0, got to the shadow clone and he footstooled me after doing my second jump ;______;

Anyone have any luck?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Also, you know what really bugs me? That the game doesn't save your rule settings every time you close the software. Every time you turn it on again all of the main rule settings are back to default (Timed Match, 2 minutes etc) I prefer 3 Stock matches myself, so that's been annoying me for the longest time. They finally made it so that the last palette swaps you used for a character are saved for your next use but yet they still haven't done the same with rule settings....at least the item settings are saved (and I assume random stages too) but everything else.....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm sorry to be asking this, but
What the hell is wrong with those Pokemon at the bottom corners
Is this Movie promoting Wrestling or something
They are wearing armor.
They are from a more medieval time where Pokémon were used in wars between kingdoms.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Still haven't beaten Classic on 9.0, got to the shadow clone and he footstooled me after doing my second jump ;______;

Anyone have any luck?
I'd try using Little Mac with the most powerful Standard B and Down B, but with the most Recovery-Friendly Up B and Side B as Custom Moves.
For Equipment, use the most powerful Defense-Raising Attributes and only those. You're gonna need 'em, and Little Mac is already super-speedy so the Speed Decreases won't be as bad on him.

However, I don't have the game, so it's just my opinion. :p

Phazon117

Smash Rookie
NNID
Phazon117
3DS FC
0275-8911-6156
I'd try using Little Mac with the most powerful Standard B and Down B, but with the most Recovery-Friendly Up B and Side B as Custom Moves.
For Equipment, use the most powerful Defense-Raising Attributes and only those. You're gonna need 'em, and Little Mac is already super-speedy so the Speed Decreases won't be as bad on him.

However, I don't have the game, so it's just my opinion. :p
I feel like your equipment suggestions could work for my main, Yoshi. All the d-airs!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I can understand Fox and Falco getting those complaints as while they sounded fine in 64, something got lost in the transition between it and Smash (Falco I'm OK with, though I prefer Brawl's), I'm honestly surprised about some of the complaints Lucario has gotten. Granted, it may not be everyone's cup of tea as the interpretation is more gruffer (kind of like Daisuke's for the Japanese version) compared to Bill Roger's, I don't think it's anywhere to the level where it doesn't fit the character or the environment that it's being used in.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
This whole VA talk reminds me of how, despite having their voice actors changed, Palutena, female Robin, Magnus and Phosphora still sound true to their source games.

Seems that Pit and Dark Pit are the only Kid Icarus: Uprising characters to keep the same VA for Smash. Curiously, he isn't credited in the game. Don't know about Viridi, though. In her cameo on the Palutena trailer and Reset Bomb Forest stage, she sounds like the original, but it's hard to say if it's a new VA or if it's the same but uncredited.

Fox and Falco had their VAs updated to match their recent games, but the Brawl ones just sounded better. It doesn't help the Star Fox series keeps changing actors.

This for the English voice overs. The Japanese version keeps all the voice actors and has a sense of consistency that is a lot better. Still, it's to be appreciated that NoA/NoE kept most of the original VAs.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
So I've tried out Falco to see how I work with him compared to Brawl and to hear what his new voice is like. I'm still pretty good with him apart from the control scheme, which is still a big obstacle for me. My only real disappointment with him is that they took away his amazing Dair. I used that move for many of my kills and even set-ups.

As for his voice, while I do prefer his Brawl voice, unlike how the case is with Fox I don't really mind the new one Falco has (though, honestly that mainly applies to the yells, grunts and other sounds he makes. When he says an actual line it sounds pretty bad IMO, like when he shouts "Fire!" during his recovery)

I'll have to see how I feel about Lucario's voice shortly. I haven't closely listened to him yet, having played very few matches against him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Speaking of Pokemon with voices, did anyone ever watch that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon special where Pikachu had the voice of a 20 year old?
I think I know what you're talking about, and GOOD LORD was that just creepy.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Speaking of Pokemon with voices, did anyone ever watch that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon special where Pikachu had the voice of a 20 year old?
Was that the one where the protagonist was a boy who turned into a Squirtle and teamed up with a Charmander and Chikorita?

I only recall ever seeing two Mysyery Dungeon specials, and one of them was like that. I think there may have been a third one but I don't know for sure...

Last edited:

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
I think I know what you're talking about, and GOOD LORD was that just creepy.
Yeah, almost everybody in that special sounded like a kid, and here comes Pikachu sound like a full grown adult.

Was that the one where the protagonist was a boy who turned into a Squirtle and teamed up with a Charmander and Chikorita?
Yes.

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Was that the one with the Skarmory who kidnapped Pikachu? Both voices were so disturbing.

Soul.

So Greninja is S-rank in the OU viability ranking thread. What. I guess it was for the better.
Latios is apparently the "best" Pokémon in OU.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Thought so.

If Pikachu's voice in that special is how I remember it (I think I saw at least once after it first premiered but still haven't seen it in a few years) then I don't think I was bothered by it at all, to be honset. In fact I've almost always imagined other male Pikachus that would fully speak in English sounding just like the one in the special since then. :laugh:

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I like Lucario's voice this time. It suits him better. His Brawl one wasn't bad either, but he definitely sounds better this time.

Pit's voice is infinitely better than Brawl. You know, I was surprised when I found out him and Dark Pit shared the same voice actor at the end of KIU. They sound quite different.

I think the only characters who were downgraded when it comes to voices were Fox and Falco. The former more than the latter. I liked Falco's Brawl voice better, but his voice this time isn't that bad. Fox on the other hand... Oh well, I'll get used to them.

D

Deleted member

There is one plus side to Wolf not being in the game; no one can complain about his voice.
2:57

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
Thought so.

If Pikachu's voice in that special is how I remember it (I think I saw at least once after it first premiered but still haven't seen it in a few years) then I don't think I was bothered by it at all, to be honset. In fact I've almost always imagined other male Pikachus that would fully speak in English sounding just like the one in the special since then. :laugh:
Well that one actually had decent actors.

The next 2 PMD specials though....*shivers*

There was like 1 good actor in those and that was Dan Green.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, sometimes the problem is not on the voice actors themselves but on the voice direction.

Also, I'm warming up to Falco's new voice faster than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom