• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
D

Deleted member

I don't how to to react, so I'll respond to your Madoka gif with another Madoka gif.

FYI, I never watched Madoka.

finally, I can use this thing!!!

I'd recommend watching it, but I'm heavily biased so...

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"Ridley is playable! No way Sakurai would tease us for over a year if he was just a boss!"

Yeah, you have a point.
I agree with that. However, let's be fair and note that they could be right too. I don't consider either a "true way for Sakurai to do it." And I always leaned towards "Stage Hazard" myself. But that developer is weird, man...

But until we see something confirmed, speculation should stay about it.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Do you forgive me?
Yes of course.
OK, that makes more sense. I like it better than Brawl's Dark World remix too.
Hated Brawl's Dark World... It didn't fit the overall theme of the song..... If I didn't know of the Dark World song before Brawl, I would like it you know? Same way about how I feel about Brawl's Stickerbrush Symphony.... But Smash 4's Dark World music makes up for it.

D

Deleted member

Yes of course.

Hated Brawl's Dark World... It didn't fit the overall theme of the song..... If I didn't know of the Dark World song before Brawl, I would like it you know? Same way about how I feel about Brawl's Stickerbrush Symphony.... But Smash 4's Dark World music makes up for it.
I hated Brawl's Stickerbrush Symphony because it was the only theme used in all the jungle levels except like 2 of them.

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
I really wanna know why Ness doesn't have a Lucas alt even after having all Lucas' specials in custom moves
Because he's DLC.

So, I wanted to get this out of my head...

[collapse="Essay about clones in Smash 4"]From an insider standpoint, why are the last minute clones Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina? This assumes they were meant to be alts, like Sakurai stated regarding Lucina. This trio of characters seems to be getting a lot of flak, even though it's baseless and unnecessary. I hope to enlighten why they were added... or rather, promoted, so to speak.

1. Development costs - They already had models to be alts, meaning they only had to do a few new animations. Judging on both animation work and ordering on the roster, it seems Dr. Mario had the highest priority of the three and Lucina had the lowest priority.

All characters got 6 new animations for 3 taunts and 3 win poses.

Dr. Mario has different standing animations, one unique entrance and two unique attacks. That means at least 9 animations differ from Mario.
Dark Pit shares all animations with Pit, except taunts, win poses and Final Smash. This means a total of 7 new animations.
Lucina is nearly identical to Marth. Her entrance is very similar to Marth with only a subtle change involving her taking the mask off. She also has different taunts and win poses. Let's say 6.5 animations here.

Moveset-wise, they're practically copy-paste info with adjustments. Again, Dr. Mario has the biggest changes, while Lucina has the least changes, leaving Dark Pit in the middle.

While not nearly as much as an entirely new character like Rosalina or Mega Man, it still takes a bit of work to do it, but given those are all minor changes, the process of making this trio was much faster.

2. Marketability - All characters have fans, some more than others. Out of the 10 characters to choose from, it was a matter of picking those that would make sense from a marketing viewpoint. Assuming they only had time for 3 clones, that puts the Koopalings out of the equation, given it would be senseless to separate only a part of the group.

This leaves Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Lucina and Alph. A Melee favorite, two characters from critically acclaimed 3DS titles and one from one of Wii U's major titles.

This is Smash Bros. The motto of the series is pretty much "Play as your favorite Nintendo characters". Am I wrong?

Dr. Mario is a good pick: he was in Melee and his game is a well-known puzzle game by Nintendo. That makes him highest priority.

That leaves Dark Pit, Lucina and Alph. The first two from 3DS games and the last from a Wii U game. Which of those consoles has a larger install base? The 3DS... by far. That puts Dark Pit and Lucina at an advantage: more people are likely to know those characters than to know Alph. Plus, they're more popular characters, notably in Japan.

That leaves Alph as a lower priority, development focusing on Dark Pit and Lucina.

Lastly, remember that each character gets a amiibo figure. I don't know if alt costumes such as male/female counterparts or Alph will get amiibos, but it seems the amiibos will be limited to default colors. (Maybe you can change the colors of the figure's AI player in-game?)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure some fans would buy figures of Dr. Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit. Like I said in the beginning, all characters have fans, some more than others, but still.

3. Laziness? - One of the arguments I've seen is how Sakurai is lazy for putting this trio of characters in Smash. Bull****. If there was indeed laziness, there would be less three spots on the roster. In the time these characters were made, nothing would have happened if the developers were indeed lazy.

The team saw an opportunity to develop some extra content, they took it. That is not laziness. That is dedication. They could have perfectly left those characters as alts, but they went ahead and made something out of them, within limited conditions, including time constraints.[/collapse]

Anyway, will be playing some more of the demo, but I'll be going now...
I was always more than OK with Lucina, highly requested, shorter model than Marth, and those alts. Eh, I think I'm cool with Dr Mario and Spanish Cupid now too.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Yes of course.

Is it cause I'm also Canadian?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Remember that evil ponytail homosexual guy from Sailor Moon season one? In the manga as one of his plans he fakes to be a woman:

And taking in mind Crystal is more manga based...

That person's head is kind of gross looking. Like, it's really big towards the top. Almost alien-like in it's design.

Can we all just agree to call Dark Pit "Spanish Cupid" from now on?
K.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

XENOBLADE SPOILERS AHEAD
*recruits Fiora after Sword Valley*
Shulk: "Do you want to eat?"

Fiora: "I don't need to eat"

Infinite Sandwich disconfirmed for the rest of the game :urg:

Last edited by a moderator:

DecaHibiki

Smash Apprentice
DON'T EAT 'EM.

They might be messing with ya. They could've substituted the sugar with salt.
I put them in the frigo I cant eat them ;3; <3 I like how may friends know how i suffer for them xD (She didnt know them)

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
*Reads the comments about Canada* I think it's a bad moment to have Canadian relatives...

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
XENOBLADE SPOILERS AHEAD
*recruits Fiora after Sword Valley*
Shulk: "Do you want to eat?"

Fiora: "I don't need to eat"

Infinite Sandwich disconfirmed for the rest of the game :urg:
*slams face against sandwich*