• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When I was in high school and early college I really didn't care about my grades

I care more now that I'm went back to college

But honestly I don't think my life would have been any different if I did get straight A's

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He's history's first troll.
The sad thing is, that baby didn't get the chance to grow up

On the last episode of Dinosaurs, everyone was slowly succumbing to an inevitable death by cold.

They were all huddled in a building together watching as their world was ending

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Because I'm practical and don't always play along with childish jokes.
No. It's because you seem completely immune to our humor. You're that one guy who almost never gets the joke. I mean, ****. I can admit I'm not all that funny, but you almost go out of your way to ruin people's jokes.

Sorry if this came off as a little rude.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
When I was in high school and early college I really didn't care about my grades

I care more now that I'm went back to college

But honestly I don't think my life would have been any different if I did get straight A's
Really, the only ways you could get A's for certain subjects (in further education) were because;
  • A: You were naturally smart.
  • B: You were committed to your work and favorite subject.
  • C: You gave a sh** about getting a job so you could get all the booze money you could afford.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So, I wanted to get this out of my head...

[collapse="Essay about clones in Smash 4"]From an insider standpoint, why are the last minute clones Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina? This assumes they were meant to be alts, like Sakurai stated regarding Lucina. This trio of characters seems to be getting a lot of flak, even though it's baseless and unnecessary. I hope to enlighten why they were added... or rather, promoted, so to speak.

1. Development costs - They already had models to be alts, meaning they only had to do a few new animations. Judging on both animation work and ordering on the roster, it seems Dr. Mario had the highest priority of the three and Lucina had the lowest priority.

All characters got 6 new animations for 3 taunts and 3 win poses.

Dr. Mario has different standing animations, one unique entrance and two unique attacks. That means at least 9 animations differ from Mario.
Dark Pit shares all animations with Pit, except taunts, win poses and Final Smash. This means a total of 7 new animations.
Lucina is nearly identical to Marth. Her entrance is very similar to Marth with only a subtle change involving her taking the mask off. She also has different taunts and win poses. Let's say 6.5 animations here.

Moveset-wise, they're practically copy-paste info with adjustments. Again, Dr. Mario has the biggest changes, while Lucina has the least changes, leaving Dark Pit in the middle.

While not nearly as much as an entirely new character like Rosalina or Mega Man, it still takes a bit of work to do it, but given those are all minor changes, the process of making this trio was much faster.

2. Marketability - All characters have fans, some more than others. Out of the 10 characters to choose from, it was a matter of picking those that would make sense from a marketing viewpoint. Assuming they only had time for 3 clones, that puts the Koopalings out of the equation, given it would be senseless to separate only a part of the group.

This leaves Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Lucina and Alph. A Melee favorite, two characters from critically acclaimed 3DS titles and one from one of Wii U's major titles.

This is Smash Bros. The motto of the series is pretty much "Play as your favorite Nintendo characters". Am I wrong?

Dr. Mario is a good pick: he was in Melee and his game is a well-known puzzle game by Nintendo. That makes him highest priority.

That leaves Dark Pit, Lucina and Alph. The first two from 3DS games and the last from a Wii U game. Which of those consoles has a larger install base? The 3DS... by far. That puts Dark Pit and Lucina at an advantage: more people are likely to know those characters than to know Alph. Plus, they're more popular characters, notably in Japan.

That leaves Alph as a lower priority, development focusing on Dark Pit and Lucina.

Lastly, remember that each character gets a amiibo figure. I don't know if alt costumes such as male/female counterparts or Alph will get amiibos, but it seems the amiibos will be limited to default colors. (Maybe you can change the colors of the figure's AI player in-game?)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure some fans would buy figures of Dr. Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit. Like I said in the beginning, all characters have fans, some more than others, but still.

3. Laziness? - One of the arguments I've seen is how Sakurai is lazy for putting this trio of characters in Smash. Bull****. If there was indeed laziness, there would be less three spots on the roster. In the time these characters were made, nothing would have happened if the developers were indeed lazy.

The team saw an opportunity to develop some extra content, they took it. That is not laziness. That is dedication. They could have perfectly left those characters as alts, but they went ahead and made something out of them, within limited conditions, including time constraints.[/collapse]

Anyway, will be playing some more of the demo, but I'll be going now...

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So, the exam was Sonic centered or furry in general?
I'm not a furry, and the only thing on my mind around the time I took the entrance exam was Zelda.
No. It's because you seem completely immune to our humor. You're that one guy who almost never gets the joke. I mean, ****. I can admit I'm not all that funny, but you almost go out of your way to ruin people's jokes.

Sorry if this came off as a little rude.
The problem is: Not everybody can share a similar sense of humor.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Really, the only ways you could get A's for certain subjects (in further education) were because;
  • A: You were naturally smart.
  • B: You were committed to your work and favorite subject.
  • C: You gave a sh** about getting a job so you could get all the booze money you could afford.
I'm naturally smart, got A's on every test

I just didn't care. Never did my homework

You can't get straight A's just passing the tests in most classes

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Lozjam

Smash Champion

[collapse="Essay about clones in Smash 4"]From an insider standpoint, why are the last minute clones Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina? This assumes they were meant to be alts, like Sakurai stated regarding Lucina. This trio of characters seems to be getting a lot of flak, even though it's baseless and unnecessary. I hope to enlighten why they were added... or rather, promoted, so to speak.

1. Development costs - They already had models to be alts, meaning they only had to do a few new animations. Judging on both animation work and ordering on the roster, it seems Dr. Mario had the highest priority of the three and Lucina had the lowest priority.

Dr. Mario has different standing animations, one unique entrance and two unique attacks. That means at least 9 animations differ from Mario.
Dark Pit shares all animations with Pit, except taunts, win poses and Final Smash. This means a total of 7 new animations.
Lucina is nearly identical to Marth. Her entrance is very similar to Marth with only a subtle change involving her taking the mask off. She also has different taunts and win poses. Let's say 6.5 animations here.

Moveset-wise, they're practically copy-paste info with adjustments. Again, Dr. Mario has the biggest changes, while Lucina has the least changes, leaving Dark Pit in the middle.

While not nearly as much as an entirely new character like Rosalina or Mega Man, it still takes a bit of work to do it, but given those are all minor changes, the process of making this trio was much faster.

2. Marketability - All characters have fans, some more than others. Out of the 10 characters to choose from, it was a matter of picking those that would make sense from a marketing viewpoint. Assuming they only had time for 3 clones, that puts the Koopalings out of the equation, given it would be senseless to separate only a part of the group.

This leaves Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Lucina and Alph. A Melee favorite, two characters from critically acclaimed 3DS titles and one from one of Wii U's major titles.

This is Smash Bros. The motto of the series is pretty much "Play as your favorite Nintendo characters". Am I wrong?

Dr. Mario is a good pick: he was in Melee and his game is a well-known puzzle game by Nintendo. That makes him highest priority.

That leaves Dark Pit, Lucina and Alph. The first two from 3DS games and the last from a Wii U game. Which of those consoles has a larger install base? The 3DS... by far. That puts Dark Pit and Lucina at an advantage: more people are likely to know those characters than to know Alph. Plus, they're more popular characters, notably in Japan.

That leaves Alph as a lower priority, development focusing on Dark Pit and Lucina.

Lastly, remember that each character gets a amiibo figure. I don't know if alt costumes such as male/female counterparts or Alph will get amiibos, but it seems the amiibos will be limited to default colors. (Maybe you can change the colors of the figure's AI player in-game?)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure some fans would buy figures of Dr. Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit. Like I said in the beginning, all characters have fans, some more than others, but still.

3. Laziness? - One of the arguments I've seen is how Sakurai is lazy for putting this trio of characters in Smash. Bull****. If there was indeed laziness, there would be less three spots on the roster. In the time these characters were made, nothing would have happened if the developers were indeed lazy.

The team saw an opportunity to develop some extra content, they took it. That is not laziness. That is dedication. They could have perfectly left those characters as alts, but they went ahead and made something out of them, within limited conditions, including time constraints.[/collapse]

Demo on, good sir. Link also beacons me to my bedroom.

D

Deleted member

I like this. Now if only there were enough rational people out there who would listen...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm naturally smart, got A's on every test

I just didn't care. Never did my homework

You can't get straight A's just passing the tests in most classes
I once got an F in Art for not finishing an Abstract sketch for homework.
I still passed with an A,since it was my only F Grade given,while the rest were A's.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
:4bowser:
:4falcon::4charizard:
:4dedede::4diddy::4dk:
:4fox:
:4greninja:
:4kirby::4myfriends::4link::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4metaknight::4mii:
:4olimar::4pacman::4palutena::4peach::4pikachu::4pit:
:4robinm::rosalina::4samus::4sheik::4shulk::4sonic::4tlink::4villager:
:4wiifit::4yoshi::4zelda::4zss::substitute:
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, CHARACTERS. As Icons.
@Hong TELL YOUR MOD BUDDIES TO DO THEIR JOBS
I'M TIRED OF COPY-PASTING ALL THESE SMILIES WHILE WAITING FOR THE ACTUAL ONES. WHERE IS :4medicine: !?
Just wanted to let you know~ :4pacman:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
What we need is an America Mario icon. I mean, how else can we celebrate freedom? I'd also like to see a Yellow Devil one. I mean, he looks so judgmental.

D

Deleted member

@Hong TELL YOUR MOD BUDDIES TO DO THEIR JOBS
I'M TIRED OF COPY-PASTING ALL THESE SMILIES WHILE WAITING FOR THE ACTUAL ONES. WHERE IS :4medicine: !?
Just wanted to let you know~ :4pacman:
I think the mods are going to wait until they are officially revealed.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
D

Deleted member

"Rational people" and "the Smash fanbase" don't really go hand in hand that well.
"Ridley is playable! No way Sakurai would tease us for over a year if he was just a boss!"

Yeah, you have a point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom