• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I agree with you on DBZs quality. It's nothing special and regarding power levels, pacing and writing it's even worse than naruto and bleach.
DBZ was always ok for me though because of nostalgia and because they did the I JUS GOT SUDDNLY STRONGKR first.
You pretty much addressed something I should have: it runs too much on nostalgia and pandering to the fans who watched it back then.

That is not good for introducing other people to the series. And of course, the power levels bull**** that only serves to barely explain "power-ups" characters get out of nowhere.

I mean, I've read other shounen series and I feel the characters' progression in power feel more fleshed out, better explained and more in-line with the story.

DBZ relies on "OMG MY POWER LEVEL GOT STRONGER AND I'M MORE POWERFUL". It's like they're spouting numbers just because.

I've read fellow Shounen Jump manga Shaman King and, while it had some interesting premises, I went into "you gotta be kidding me" mode when they pulled out the same power level bull****. It's a big cliché. In the end, it just felt like your average shounen manga, because that's what it is.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, though. Some people enjoy it and that's fine. It's just that I like more substantial stories that rely on different kinds of storytelling.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
I agree with you on DBZs quality. It's nothing special and regarding power levels, pacing and writing it's even worse than naruto and bleach.
DBZ was always ok for me though because of nostalgia and because they did the I JUS GOT SUDDNLY STRONGKR first.
I would agree with Naruto up untill the very last arc where all logic just goes out the window. Bleach I cant even agree in the slightest, its one of the most boring, bullcrap, predictable manga's out there, not to mention it gives DBZ's "5 episodes of powering up" a run for its money with the pacing. It took 3 year to finish a single day in-universe in Bleach ffs.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
With :mewtwopm: as DLC, I'll be able to roleplay DBZ with :4sonic:,:4lucario:, and :4fox:(cause he has a scouter).

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
So, what's going on here?
Thinking of picking up a character to learn and blasting music.
Maybe :4shulk::4wiifit::4tlink::4fox:
Eh, Tink is too close to Link.
I like projectile users, so Shulk might be out.
Leaves Space Furry and Calorie Destroyer
Any "Imreally feeling it" jokes result in said person being sent to dungeon.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
You pretty much addressed something I should have: it runs too much on nostalgia and pandering to the fans who watched it back then.

That is not good for introducing other people to the series. And of course, the power levels bull**** that only serves to barely explain "power-ups" characters get out of nowhere.

I mean, I've read other shounen series and I feel the characters' progression in power feel more fleshed out, better explained and more in-line with the story.

DBZ relies on "OMG MY POWER LEVEL GOT STRONGER AND I'M MORE POWERFUL". It's like they're spouting numbers just because.

I've read fellow Shounen Jump manga Shaman King and, while it had some interesting premises, I went into "you gotta be kidding me" mode when they pulled out the same power level bull****. It's a big cliché. In the end, it just felt like your average shounen manga, because that's what it is.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, though. Some people enjoy it and that's fine. It's just that I like more substantial stories that rely on different kinds of storytelling.
I stopped reading Naruto, Shaman King and Bleach because of the power level crap and nearly stopped reading Black Cat because of it but it was short enough to finish it anyway.
Battle Angel Alita is also on the brink of overdoing it.

I would agree with Naruto up untill the very last arc where all logic just goes out the window. Bleach I cant even agree in the slightest, its one of the most boring, bullcrap, predictable manga's out there, not to mention it gives DBZ's "5 episodes of powering up" a run for its money with the pacing. It took 3 year to finish a single day in-universe in Bleach ffs.
I remember when I stopped reading Bleach, it was a long time ago.
"HHUAAGGGGH YOU THINK IM WEAK YA DINGUS, I SURE AINT THE NUMBER 10!"
"nottten personel kid!"
-splits into two-
"NOW I AM 1 AND 0 BIATSCH WATSCHA GUNNA DO ABOUT IT M8"

> Implying that I haven't done that already
> This isn't 4chan
>green
Every time I am in a smash thread on /v/ I cannot comprehend how 99% can be so **** and still spout "facts" like there is no tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knuckles the Knuckles

NNID
Dromader
Dragon Ball was much better when it was just Chinese myths in the future. Heck, Toriyama wanted to end everything on Frieza initially, which would have been perfectly fine. Then again at Cell. Then he finally did at Buu but people still wanted more, and they sure got more alright. DBZ is a neat show that was unique for its time, if pretty simple, but with time it pretty much became the archetype for how Shounen manga goes. I would lie if I said nostalgia isnt the thing that make me even remotely interested in the series anymore.
I remember when I stopped reading Bleach, it was a long time ago.
"HHUAAGGGGH YOU THINK IM WEAK YA DINGUS, I SURE AINT THE NUMBER 10!"
"nottten personel kid!"
-splits into two-
"NOW I AM 1 AND 0 BIATSCH WATSCHA GUNNA DO ABOUT IT M8"
Bleach is this wierd thing that had huge potential at the very start but also crapped the bed very early on. Once they went to Soul Town everything started to go downhill untill it just died. Naruto I will at least give credit for maintaining a certain level of competency untill the very end.

Last edited:

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Aura is a projectile!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, it's anime talk in the morning and... *sees a certain term and eyetwitches* ...I'll be in the bunker. Hiding. With my eyes peeking from inside.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I say still try Toon Link. He and Link are different enough. Otherwise, try WFT.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I know DBZ is horribly written, but I love it because it's the very definition of "stupid fun". I like it because it gets out my urge to see stuff blowing up, not because I see a deep story in it (although it does have its genuinely good moments). I have other series for that.

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Well, it's anime talk in the morning and... *sees a certain term and eyetwitches* ...I'll be in the bunker. Hiding. With my eyes peeking from inside.
You should try a fort! Its also good to peek from!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
>green
Every time I am in a smash thread on /v/ I cannot comprehend how 99% can be so **** and still spout "facts" like there is no tomorrow.
Then why do you even go there? :p

I actually kind of want to see what the place really is like. Will it make me a shell-shocked veteran?

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Dragon Ball was much better when it was just Chinese myths in the future. Heck, Toriyama wanted to end everything on Frieza initially, which would have been perfectly fine. Then again at Cell. Then he finally did at Buu but people still wanted more, and they sure got more alright. DBZ is a neat show that was unique for its time, if pretty simple, but with time it pretty much became the archetype for how Shounen manga goes. I would lie if I said nostalgia isnt the thing that make me even remotely interested in the series anymore.

Bleach is this wierd thing that had huge potential at the very start but also crapped the bed very early on. Once they went to Soul Town everything started to go downhill untill it just died. Naruto I will at least give credit for maintaining a certain level of competency untill the very end.
Naruto lost me quite late at "HA! gonna kill the whole city"
-many important characters die-
And there I thought Kishimoto finally grew some balls but then
"ewww im such an asshole I know that now let me revive everyone"

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
What term is making you eye twitch, Pitty Pat?

/HadesImpersonation

I actually kind of want to see what the place really is like. Will it make me a shell-shocked veteran?
It will make you either insane or immune to insanity.

There's only one way to find out though. Good luck!

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever

Because for video games in general, /v/ is still better than anything else on the internet.
Not that this means much but still.

Knuckles the Knuckles

NNID
Dromader
Naruto lost me quite late at "HA! gonna kill the whole city"
-many important characters die-
And there I thought Kishimoto finally grew some balls but then
"ewww im such an ******* I know that now let me revive everyone"
The Pain arc? Thats one of my favorites actually, but yea, reviving everyone at the end was a cop-out to the max. In the end though, I couldnt see him killing off so many characters in a swoop anyway. I mean, having balls and just killing half your cast for lolz aint the same thing, at least later they gave one of the major character's death some weight.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
What term is making you eye twitch, Pitty Pat?

/HadesImpersonation

It will make you either insane or immune to insanity.

There's only one way to find out though. Good luck!
DBZ. It's one of the things I've despised for so long, and I never liked it. While I admit I stumbled across it back in the old days, it did not spark my interest. Now-a-days, I feel it's overrated, partially still alive for fans and memes. Then again, my memory isn't cut out to remember anime plots or shows, which also is part of why I don't have interest in these things.
I admit you brought up the point about the BS power level garbage, which is also lame. But like I said, I'm not cut out to remember anime stuff. All I know is that I don't like it, and it just somehow irritates me. For the fans, hate me if you want for hating it, I ain't stopping you from liking your favorite shows.

EDIT: Kind to think of it, it's also my strange memory that makes me not like some anime that last for a long time, or all them flashbacks or recaps, arcs, or whatever those terms are, but what do I know?
(I do like Transformers though, but I can't even remember 1/8th of it besides few of the robot names, like Unicron.)

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The Pain arc? Thats one of my favorites actually, but yea, reviving everyone at the end was a cop-out to the max. In the end though, I couldnt see him killing off so many characters in a swoop anyway. I mean, having balls and just killing half your cast for lolz aint the same thing, at least later they gave one of the major character's death some weight.
Yeah, the "let's kill everyone just because" attitude is what made me extremely disappointed by Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows, and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay. If you kill a character, it has to matter to the plot and IT CAN'T HAPPEN OFFSCREEN.

DBZ. It's one of the things I've despised for so long, and I never liked it. While I admit I stumbled across it back in the old days, it did not spark my interest. Now-a-days, I feel it's overrated, partially still alive for fans and memes. Then again, my memory isn't cut out to remember anime plots or shows, which also is part of why I don't have interest in these things.
I admit you brought up the point about the BS power level garbage, which is also lame. But like I said, I'm not cut out to remember anime stuff. All I know is that I don't like it, and it just somehow irritates me. For the fans, hate me if you want for hating it, I ain't stopping you from liking your favorite shows.

EDIT: Kind to think of it, it's also my strange memory that makes me not like some anime that last for a long time, or all them flashbacks or recaps or whatever those terms are, but what do I know?
Funny thing, I had the same attitude as a kid, so it definitely has no nostalgia for me. It was Goku being so fun to play as in Super Smash Flash 2 when he was added in 2010 that made me want to give it a chance.

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

NNID
Dromader
I know DBZ is horribly written, but I love it because it's the very definition of "stupid fun". I like it because it gets out my urge to see stuff blowing up, not because I see a deep story in it (although it does have its genuinely good moments). I have other series for that.
Thats the best way to sum up the show actually. Its just fun.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
For some reason I'm not excited at the least for Friday. I got a DENTIST appointment, I have to attend to a presentation, I have to work late the night before, it's basically hell before hype.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Yeah. I think I'm going to finish Naruto just so I can say I "survived" it.
Gonna read Battle Angel Alita or Berserk again after that to get the foul taste out of my ...eyes.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Never once have I given a single crap about DBZ.

I became more open to anime as I got older (mostly thanks to the first Pokemon anime series) but DBZ was not among the animes that I became interested in. Neither was Naruto. They just remained very "meh" to me.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would of enjoyed Dragon Ball Z more if the pacing was a lot better. Sometimes battles can last for a dozen episodes mainly because the writers try to stall the progession as much as possible. The later arcs also pretty much made the majority of characters completely useless.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

EDIT: Kind to think of it, it's also my strange memory that makes me not like some anime that last for a long time, or all them flashbacks or recaps, arcs, or whatever those terms are, but what do I know?
(I do like Transformers though, but I can't even remember 1/8th of it besides few of the robot names, like Unicron.)
Eh... I think you're being a little close minded when it comes to anime, just because of DBZ.

There are very good manga and anime series that are very under-appreciated, but are quite good.

(Fun fact: Kid Icarus: Uprising has anime tropes in its story.)

Never once have I given a single crap about DBZ.

I became more open to anime as I got older (mostly thanks to the first Pokemon anime series) but DBZ was not among the animes that I became interested in. Neither was Naruto. They just remained very "meh" to me.
I would give you a Frostwraith Seal of Approval, but...

Well, I can't give you one right now because uh... reasons.

Here comes the sugar apocalypse again. :p

Who pranked you this time?
@ WolfieXVII ❂ WolfieXVII ❂ 's got some explaining to do.

Kore wa watashi ga sumasshuburazāzu ni okeru bekutoru ni natteru hōhōdesu?
Writing Japanese with romaji... Pfftt. Pleb.

Knuckles the Knuckles

NNID
Dromader
I would of enjoyed Dragon Ball Z more if the pacing was a lot better. Sometimes battles can last for a dozen episodes mainly because the writers try to stall the progession as much as possible. The later arcs also pretty much made the majority of characters completely useless.
Thats a thing Kai tried to fix I believe, get rid of all the filler and make everything go faster. Havent seen it so I cant say how well it does it though.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Thats a thing Kai tried to fix I believe, get rid of all the filler and make everything go faster. Havent seen it so I cant say how well it does it though.
While I don't like that it takes out some of the more entertaining filler (Goku and Piccolo trying to drive, anyone?), it does improve a lot. No comments from the peanut gallery during power boosts repeating what we just saw, the yelling actually takes less than several minutes, and it's just overall better.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Eh... I think you're being a little close minded when it comes to anime, just because of DBZ.

There are very good manga and anime series that are very under-appreciated, but are quite good.

(Fun fact: Kid Icarus: Uprising has anime tropes in its story.)
It's not that I hate anime; it's just my mind and memory doesn't work well with some of it. Some would probably expect me to remember the storyline or the names of most characters, but I feel I can't even do that right. My mind is often complicated, Sorry to say. D:

(Kid Icarus: Uprising is still epic for sure.)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
@ WolfieXVII ❂ WolfieXVII ❂ @ Knight Dude Knight Dude

Here's what I think it is:

Average day, those two soliders arrive, explain they work for Frieza, Bills shows up, has alternate universe Frieza with him, FIGHT!, Frieza loses, Bills and Whis help him train, becomes a god somehow, SSJG Vegeta.

Bam
Someone else mentioned that he could have possibly taken that Anubis looking dude's powers for himself. If that's the case than I'm a little more excited. Still, hoping Vegeta, Gohan or Piccolo get some good fights in this.

Also, Bald Krillin hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom