• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social 6.0 - 『ONE YEAR OF SOCIAL 6.0!』

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
This may not apply to me yet,but FalKoopa FalKoopa is there any tricks you use to learn a new language?
I got tired of doing practically nothing over my first half of the summer and decided to look something up.

also whats up guys.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This may not apply to me yet,but FalKoopa FalKoopa is there any tricks you use to learn a new language?
I got tired of doing practically nothing over my first half of the summer and decided to look something up.

also whats up guys.
Okay, after learning Hiragana and Katakana, I was stuck with Kanji for a long time. I just couldn't find a way to get motivated to memorise the 2085-ish characters, so I gave up.

I then used Memrise to learn Japanese. It starts with basic words - like day, chair, food, water - simple words written in kana (not Kanji), and while watching anime, I paid attention to what was being said. That helped me drill those words into my memory, and provided a fun way to memorise. Of course, it's also that I enjoy watching slice-of-life animes which focus on daily and ordinary stuff. It's a slow climb. I'm still very much a beginner in Japanese, although I've learnt far more words this way.

For other languages like French or German, I use Duolingo. It's very effective. You should try it.

Last edited:

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Okay, after learning Hiragana and Katakana, I was stuck with Kanji for a long time. I just couldn't find a way to get motivated to memorise the 2085-ish characters, so I gave up.

I then used Memrise to learn Japanese. It starts with basic words - like day, chair, food, water - simple words written in kana (not Kanji), and while watching anime, I paid attention to what was being said. That helped me drill those words into my memory, and provided a fun way to memorise. Of course, it's also that I enjoy watching slice-of-life animes which focus on daily and ordinary stuff. It's a slow climb. I'm still very much a beginner in Japanese, although I've learnt far more words this way.

For other languages like French or German, I use Duolingo. It's very effective. You should try it.
thanks for the tips.
so far all I've managed to do is write down that chart from that page and compared it to a couple of common phrases,but with those apps I could do quite more.
and maybe watch stuff without subs....

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
thanks for the tips.
so far all I've managed to do is write down that chart from that page and compared it to a couple of common phrases,but with those apps I could do quite more.
and maybe watch stuff without subs....
Watching stuff without subs will be harder. Subs help you make sure that you correctly heard that word, and didn't mistake something else.

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Watching stuff without subs will be harder. Subs help you make sure that you correctly heard that word, and didn't mistake something else.
I know that. I wanna work to that point though.
in any case I'll get cracking on it later today. right now I'm about to do just that:watch anime English subbed. :p

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I tend to prefer dubs, if they're good ones.

Puns and wordplay are altered so as not to be lost in translation and I get a better feel for the characters from their voices, not to mention if I have to listen for what's being said I'm more inclined to give my full attention. :p

In some cases like SGT Frog the references and jokes are almost entirely changed for the western release making both versions their own individually funny watches.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Got an email today from CCC today. In it was an update on one of my auditions, which was on....
*drum roll*
...................Taylor from Nimbus (an animated Roblox series). I got the role, of course. There's no new information on the Nekopara Fandub project. It's already 2 days past the deadline.
*Time for coffee*

"Oh Azizah, my heart is breaking. How much longer must I have to wait?"

"Lovers often have to suffer and endure through years and years of waiting."

Tch. Guess it's true. "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself.....
stock-photo-through-the-looking-glass-reflection-on-a-water-puddle-58929115.jpg

That is coffee."

Playing through visual novels like Umineko also helps learn the language in a way. I picked up a good amount of Japanese just from listening to it. Still don't know a whole lot, but it helps.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Got an email today from CCC today. In it was an update on one of my auditions, which was on....
*drum roll*
...................Taylor from Nimbus (an animated Roblox series). I got the role, of course. There's no new information on the Nekopara Fandub project. It's already 2 days past the deadline.
*Time for coffee*

"Oh Azizah, my heart is breaking. How much longer must I have to wait?"

"Lovers often have to suffer and endure through years and years of waiting."

Tch. Guess it's true. "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself.....
View attachment 111363
That is coffee."

Playing through visual novels like Umineko also helps learn the language in a way. I picked up a good amount of Japanese just from listening to it. Still don't know a whole lot, but it helps.
Considering the topics Umineko deals with - logic, crime, fantasy - it's not really beginner-friendly, imo. I can only pick up the pronouns, verb endings, and some scattered stuff.

And congrats for getting that role. :)

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Novels huh?
I've never played a Visual Novel,and I'm unsure if I will anytime soon. Unless I get a hold of Stein's Gate.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Novels huh?
I've never played a Visual Novel,and I'm unsure if I will anytime soon. Unless I get a hold of Stein's Gate.
Oddly enough, ( Ryu_Ken Ryu_Ken hear this) Nekopara Vol.0 does a good job.

It shows the dialogue in English and Japanese, one below the other, and you can read both. Just note that it is an eroge.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Obligatory 1997 page post.
I've learnt some Japanese words through watching anime, reading manga, etc. It also helps that I have a friend studying Japanese. She's quick to teach me stuff, or just blurt out stuff in Japanese because she can.

jarbAin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4124-6082-4371
Well, since topic is languages, I think I'll share my thoughts.
I think you'll be able to learn a language if you deem it necessary and wish to seriously use it. For example, I'm pretty good at speaking English, since pretty much every game, and everything in internet is in English, so I need it.

Then I'm also studying Swedish, and indeed it's not going badly, but that's only because I'm rather proficient in learning things, even if I say so myself. But sometimes I get frustrated, and my brains refuse to understand, and instead just say that it is too complicated and I don't need it, which is a mindset that completely prevents learning. At least I think so.

So if you want to learn Japanese, just get yourself something that makes it necessary. And then study, of course.
(Note that I don't know a thing about Japanese, and I am not a linguist, a teacher or an educator, so I might just be completely wrong.)

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I used to want to learn Japanese and Arabic...but I didn't really go forward with that. Now I have no interest though, unlike that time, so I have an excuse now!
I guess my only advice is to not be lazy and/or procrastinate.

Last edited:

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Hey guys!
I do have a reason going into learning Japanese,albeit they sounded kinda stupid at first.
-some more motivation to watch anime.
-I thought the language looked cool.certain video games emphasized that(What's on the back of Akuma,or the Kanji on the Tekken logo)
-I have a long term dream of visiting Japan with some friends some day,so this could come in handy should it pay off.
-also got jealous of my sister knowing some Spanish,then some Korean along the way.

FalKoopa FalKoopa I signed up for Memrise yesterday. having just started it is indeed teaching some basic words that I knew before even having this interest. I'm hoping I can pick up the pace later.
as to actually writing/reading in that language....nothing yet. I'll have to look that up later today.

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Since we're on the subject, I've had plans to learn Italian and pick up on my Spanish. Italian was always a language I had interest in learning and while I've always been interested in learning it anyway, fluency in Spanish is becoming a more and more valuable skill in this country, so it will come in handy. I know some Spanish, but I want to be fluent in it.

I'll take FalKoopa FalKoopa 's advice and give Duolingo a shot and maybe try Rosetta Stone since my dad gets it for free as one of his work benefits.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My interest in languages stems from the writing systems, admittedly. Scripts fascinate me. It's also that being able to read something in its original language feels good.

Well, Volga Volga , I'll add you on Memrise later today then. Which course are you doing?

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I got to say, that Memrise looks pretty nifty. As an Italophile, I've always wanted to learn Italian.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Oddly enough, ( Ryu_Ken Ryu_Ken hear this) Nekopara Vol.0 does a good job.

It shows the dialogue in English and Japanese, one below the other, and you can read both. Just note that it is an eroge.
Whoa, this is news to me. I'll have to check that out at some point. I'm probably gonna check out the Memrise app too since it's been increasing in popularity in my area (and I can see why).

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
My interest in languages stems from the writing systems, admittedly. Scripts fascinate me. It's also that being able to read something in its original language feels good.

Well, Volga Volga , I'll add you on Memrise later today then. Which course are you doing?
right now its Japanese 1 course.
starting on Beginner and working my way up.

and my Username on there is Fruitytitan. Volga was taken :V

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
I got to say, that Memrise looks pretty nifty. As an Italophile, I've always wanted to learn Italian.
Same here. If I ever sign up for Memrise anytime soon, hopefully I can work with some of you since it sounds like you can add people.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Learning japanese might be interresting, more than spanish anyway. If I ever go visit Japan, it could be useful, but it's not my main priority. At least Japan loves France, so even if I don't know a thing in japanese, I can still use my french and english.
829.gif

My priority though is to visit countries where you speak english, like the UK or the USA. Japan might be in my top 5 of countries to visit, but it's not the first.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Guess I'll check out this Memrise thing as well. I'll look at the Irish course too just to see if it's any use, even though I already know most of it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The thing about Japanese is, it's not related to any other widely spoken language, so you don't have much of an advantage no matter where you are from. (Like you can learn French comparatively easier if you already know English or Spanish.)

Only a Chinese speaker has some advantage, as they already knows the meanings of the kanji characters, but the grammar, pronunciation, and the rest are still very different.

right now its Japanese 1 course.
starting on Beginner and working my way up.

and my Username on there is Fruitytitan. Volga was taken :V
Okay. I'll try out that one too. I've been doing the Genki one, as I already knew the very basics, but let's see how this one is.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Guess I'll check out this Memrise thing as well. I'll look at the Irish course too just to see if it's any use, even though I already know most of it.
I read "Memrise" as "Memerise".
1466100104778.jpg

Boy, why am I such a meme loving trash.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I read "Memrise" as "Memerise".
View attachment 111421
Boy, why am I such a meme loving trash.
Yeah, but it's like, really good trash.
Like, when people say that "insert popular game/movie/anime/etc... here" is trash. For me in most case, it's like really good trash, and honestly, I take that over really bad thing like TTG or the PPG reboot. (Funnily, those 2 shows use outdated meme and joke to try to be funny, but it's just end up being sad)

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I was gonna post this here yesterday after posting it in the DR but I forgot.:p

image.jpeg

This is the official design of Emcee's best friend and the powerhouse of Team PHANTASY, Blues Throne!

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Ok, I made an account for Memrise. It's a pretty cool app. I can see why it's a popular app.

Volga Volga FalKoopa FalKoopa You guys wouldn't mind adding me, would you?

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ok, I made an account for Memrise. It's a pretty cool app. I can see why it's a popular app.

Volga Volga FalKoopa FalKoopa You guys wouldn't mind adding me, would you?
What is your username?

Memrise doesn't let you search for people; you have to enter their names in "memrise.com/user/[Username]".

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
What is your username?

Memrise doesn't let you search for people; you have to enter their names in "memrise.com/user/[Username]".
SkeletonoFun. It was going to be Skelly, but it looks like that name was taken.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
I need to buy more Shantae games, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is so good. I'm ironically playing it more than the other games I bought during the Steam Sales.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
SkeletonoFun. It was going to be Skelly, but it looks like that name was taken.
Added. You're learning Italian?

EDIT: Why does Memrise has Sanskrit and Latin under the "I speak" menu? Who is expected to use that? :laugh:

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I just post here this post I just made in the DR, because drawing and stuff.

Well guys and girls, here for you, my latest drawing!
Cendorium new.png
So, after so many months of wanting to draw her with the new design I have in mind, here Cendorium!
This drawing was hard for two reason:
1: Drawing a new character/design is always hard the first time
2: I had to redraw her a second time because the first one was looking good, but I erased so much that it ruined the drawing for me.
So yeah, and if you want to know what difference there is between the old and the new design, check out this awesome drawing of my sister!
filename-1 (8).jpg

Yeah, it's alot different.
I hope you like it!:)

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Added. You're learning Italian?

EDIT: Why does Memrise has Sanskrit and Latin under the "I speak" menu? Who is expected to use that? :laugh:
Yep, it's a language that I've wanted to learn for some time now. I agree with Volga that the first level covers words that I'm already familiar with, but I don't mind.

That is odd that Sanskrit and Latin are stored there.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
Hi. How is everyone? I beaten Hotline Miami yesterday. It is a really fun and addicting game to play (also frustrating sometimes)

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333

Just warning you in advance: this is NOT a Fallout icon (though it looks like one). It's a Vocaloid icon, and I'm putting this in my signature because I made it into a Vocaloid project. Guess my singing voice really WAS that good. So far, I'm the only guy in the Skype group. Everyone else are females. Guess this tells me what kind of people I'll have for my college study groups...

I also made an account on Memrise under 9Powerstar, so if you wanna add me FalKoopa FalKoopa or Volga Volga , go ahead.

Oh, the Nekopara audition? Still nothing on that. Go figure.

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
That moment when you accidentally used your regular e-mail as your Memrise account. Well, looks like I'll not be giving my username ever. :lol:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Oh wow, I can now learn Welsh and Catalan through the medium of Irish!

http://www.memrise.com/course/490665/seachtain-setmana/
http://www.memrise.com/course/307104/breatnais-tri-ghaeilge/

All my dreams have come true.
I imagine you'll have easier time with Welsh, as it also a Celtic language like Irish.

That moment when you accidentally used your regular e-mail as your Memrise account. Well, looks like I'll not be giving my username ever. :lol:
Aw. :p Well, good luck with Italian. :)

--------------------

And I just submitted a Hindi translation for a YouTube video. This is quickly becoming a serious business for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom