• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Online General Discussion/Social/Thing

Player -0

Smash Hero
Well the way it works is wireless connections have to travel through the air/whatever to get to your system and then back. This means it's affected by whatever is in the way.

For wired it travels through wires so much less interference.

So wired I think. It's still dependent on your internet speed though.

eltoroguaco

パンツ
NNID
eltoroguaco
I joined my first tournament yesterday. It went horrible! I chocked cause I was nervous and did EVERYTHING wrong! I lost against newbs that doesn't even know how to play competitive -.-' I must attend more tournies so I lose this nervousness problem and get more than 4h sleep...

Last edited:

Cooly23

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4167-5547-7609
Can one use amiibo while playing online modes such as for glory and for fun, (if one is playing on the 3DS version)?

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
So the servers where undergoing maintenance and I'm here thinking what's the point if it's still gon lag like crazy. Hopefully sakurai realizes the huge mistake (corrin. Don't tell me that those 3 last characters are the last dlc cuz that what he said about brawl being the last smash.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
If there is another Smash, with or without Sakurai (that subject can be saved for another time), Nintendo is going to need to get Sony or Microsoft's involvement in implementing a reliable, efficient Nintendo Network. Maybe one of these times when the server is under maintenance, a light bulb will bust at Nintendo's R&D and they'll implement stricter network requirements.....hopefully. Sigh..

Rage NF

Smash Lord
NNID
RageNF

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Oooooooh aaaaaaaaah fire works! New years 2016 awesome, spectacular incredible superfluous, amazing

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
Hey there, someone please help me out. Here's my problem: Recently, since id say one week, my For Glory on 3DS is absolutely deserted. There is no one, I can stay there and wait for ten minutes and no one will join. Except some players, and good to super annoying ones, that I always face a thousand times over and over again, like they themselves got the same problem of matchmaking. What is happening? I heard that it has something to do with Global Smash Power and/or Online win rate. My GSP is 4 067 299 and my 1 on 1 win rate is 76.80%. Are those "too high" and thus I dont find anyone with about the same? Im confused, and I cant play online anymore cause theres literally no one, and in every mode.

Last edited:

I AKU I

Smash Cadet
NNID
murphed
Out of curiosity, what is all of your opinions on the level of players you encounter on FG? I'll occasionally watch Alpharad or AceStar's FG videos and find myself asking where the hell all of those awful players are coming from. They always seem to play people who look like they just picked up the game.

When I play, it seems like I mostly get okay mid-level players who understand how the game works and are capable of making adjustments if they are losing. I rarely encounter the completely mindless players shown on their videos. Idk, it could just be the time when I play though. I tend to play later at night, like at a time when nobody who isn't serious about smash would be online. But even when I play earlier, my opponents usually aren't THAT bad.

TheHeroKing

Smash Cadet
NNID
GIRATlNA
Can I Just vent at how upsetting it is playing FFA For Glory and FFA For Fun and getting booted because "YOU'RE TARGETTING ONE PLAYER GUY YOU NEED TO STAHP". It's all well and good if there really was intentional bullying going on but the system is dumb. I also get booted for Bowsercide. I'm so salty. Sorry.

~斬~

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zan775
3DS FC
0147-1075-9666
Looking for Robin mains to practice with online (on 3DS or Wii U, either is fine!). Please reply if you're interested in playing some rounds. I'm practicing / labbing to defeat the best Robin in my region.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Looking for Robin mains to practice with online (on 3DS or Wii U, either is fine!). Please reply if you're interested in playing some rounds. I'm practicing / labbing to defeat the best Robin in my region.
try the robin board and social
most of them are scrubs most likely but you'll find someone

Gaellolenin

Smash Rookie
Am I the only one who gets that eerie feeling that the person you may have played against was a bot? I've never seen anyone turn around 150 times in one match and then attempt to space at every single given opportunity or even use Captain Falcon's neutral air to grab (something I've only seen level 9 cpus do). Or if you make one small opening they'll use a Falco laser within close proximity to dispel with the smash attack or they'll start off this odd Sakurai Combo that was so weird you had a difficult time believing a player performed and thought of such an odd combo. It's either they are a bot, or they are really high.

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
After a recent update, I've had a lot of trouble connecting to online smash. I'm on a normal 3DS, and I suspect my hardware takes a while to connect, leading to a timeout. Is this the problem, and is there anything I can do to fix this?
Edit: It sometimes does connect, but only 5% of the time.

Last edited:

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
After a recent update, I've had a lot of trouble connecting to online smash. I'm on a normal 3DS, and I suspect my hardware takes a while to connect, leading to a timeout. Is this the problem, and is there anything I can do to fix this?
Edit: It sometimes does connect, but only 5% of the time.

this worked for me, so try it out.

1) go to internet options (start menu->games & more -> options-> internet options)
2) turn off data from friends.

done. I hope this helps.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I'm ripping out people's throats on For Glory because I'm too much of a scrub to play Anther's and too nice to be a flowchart.

syklone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePerson14
Hey, has anyone seen a guy on FG (Wii U) with a mii name ANDY and his gamer tag as ANDY^? Seems like one of those annoying bast*rds who just report anyone and everyone for no reason. I played a game against him in which he barely one with his Bayonnaise against my Lucario who I was playing as for practice/fun and after the game he said the following things: "LAGCHEATER" (whatever the hell that is) then said he "REPORTED" me, then he called me "PATHETIC" and a "PSYCHOPATH". All in quick succession, keep in mind. Which obviously means that he already had those tags saved previously and most likely used against other people. So, has anyone seen him before? I want to get into a room with him again, crush him with my Mewtwo (with full disrespect, which I otherwise never do), report him, then laugh at him and leave. ...but well, that's probably not gonna happen.

ThatSmashGuy11

Smash Rookie
Now, most of you complain that the majority of For Glory players are brainless monkeys who play like a rat walking over a controller, but I really disagree.

Now that I think of it, I rarely ever come across a player like that. Is this because the all the Smash newbies have given up because they keep getting rekt? That only the dedicated players remain?

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Now, most of you complain that the majority of For Glory players are brainless monkeys who play like a rat walking over a controller, but I really disagree.

Now that I think of it, I rarely ever come across a player like that. Is this because the all the Smash newbies have given up because they keep getting rekt? That only the dedicated players remain?
You kidding? I get a lot of players that often seem like they're playing with one hand.

It sounds kind of harsh due to the fact little kids can and DO play Online from time to time (after all, you can never really know the persons age) ; however it's slightly accurate. I'm not exactly the best Smash bros player either, and some may even think that I'm a potato.

I've gotten Bowsers in For Glory Teams that tried to Bowsercide without taking damage and continued to do so especially after my friend and I continually let them (Sadly I do not think they understood why they kept losing). I've even gotten players that did not know how to recover, not to mention ones that seemed mildly confused as to what was going on. But yes, I've seen my fair share of potatoes.

(I've even had one recently where I kept him in the air with Mr. Game & Watchs Up Air Windboxes the majority of the match...)

I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder. Everyone has different skill levels and has different views on what makes a "Potato Player".

Last edited:

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
So, in spite of this thread looking rather dead, I can't find a better place to pose this question to the online Sm4sh community. Hopefully someone sees it here and will be able to respond.

I remember seeing ages and ages ago a thread detailing the rates at which characters appeared in Sm4sh 1v1 FG. Just a fun little sort of study done to show which characters were the most/least common online. Now that it's been awhile since the patches appear to have stopped, and DLC characters appear to be slowing their rate of play down to that of the rest of the cast (well, except Cloud, but that appears to be more due to how he plays), I was thinking it might be time for another one of those threads, but slightly different.

I have begun collecting data on the rate of character play in 1v1 FG, and intend to create a thread which will be a running count of such rates of play. Only now however, over a month into data collection, has it occurred to me that people might not care about this sort of information.

On this note, I put it to you: would people want to see a continually updated rate of character usage list?

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
So, in spite of this thread looking rather dead, I can't find a better place to pose this question to the online Sm4sh community. Hopefully someone sees it here and will be able to respond.

I remember seeing ages and ages ago a thread detailing the rates at which characters appeared in Sm4sh 1v1 FG. Just a fun little sort of study done to show which characters were the most/least common online. Now that it's been awhile since the patches appear to have stopped, and DLC characters appear to be slowing their rate of play down to that of the rest of the cast (well, except Cloud, but that appears to be more due to how he plays), I was thinking it might be time for another one of those threads, but slightly different.

I have begun collecting data on the rate of character play in 1v1 FG, and intend to create a thread which will be a running count of such rates of play. Only now however, over a month into data collection, has it occurred to me that people might not care about this sort of information.

On this note, I put it to you: would people want to see a continually updated rate of character usage list?
There's no conceivable way to get a reasonably large enough pool. The data you'd come up with would be solely your own encounters. You'd need to get a more substantial number than just your own wiiu and even then I don't think anyone would really care about for glory 1v1.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
There's no conceivable way to get a reasonably large enough pool. The data you'd come up with would be solely your own encounters. You'd need to get a more substantial number than just your own wiiu and even then I don't think anyone would really care about for glory 1v1.
An interesting idea. Personally, I'd be curious to see why you believe an adequate sample size is unobtainable. Over just about a month now I've already got a sample size of over 250 matches, and that's without focusing on pure data collection. It could easily be at over 500 this time next month even continuing at the current rate. While it is true that there are way more matches than that occurring, as a random sample I would be inclined to see it as representative by the time it reached over a thousand matches, if not sooner.

Also not sure why just using one machine would make it less accurate. As far as I know, everyone has access to the same server system, and I can see no reason why the distribution of characters would vary immensely by region (at least within the USA, where the competitive metagame is distinctly national). I suppose if matchmaking by win percentage is a thing it could get dicey, but I don't have enough information on that topic to know for sure myself. If you do, I would appreciate the assist.

Those detractions aside, I am happy to see a response so quickly, especially since you expressed a possible lack of interest specifically in 1v1 FG matches. If that's the case, which modes would you expect more interest in? To be frank, 1v1 FG matches (while my personal preference) are also by far the slowest to gather this data on, and any other modes (except maybe those that require a second player on the same cosole) would be noticeably quicker.

Last edited:

Edel Blau

Smash Rookie
I think it could be fun! It certainly doesn't really say anything *useful*, really, but this isn't the competitive board anyway; it's just the general online section. Data and infographics are always neat to look at! There's nothing wrong with a little idle curiosity, and the effort to record the data is trivial at worst, so I'd say go for it!

...I mean, I did exactly the same thing a while back, when I was curious about how often people tended to switch to dittos. Around when Mewtwo came out, I played around 100 best-of-5-or-they-leave-first For Glory 1v1 matches using the same character (Jigglypuff), and recorded each character used in the first game as well as if a player switched to someone else after the first game (assuming they stayed). The results had enough of a signal to satisfy my curiosity...then I stopped bothering.

So I guess the one recommendation is to be clear and consistent with your methodology, and don't mix data collected with different methodologies...then there might be some interesting observations! As long as you're not trying to convince people that it has some deeper meaning, it seems like a fun little side project.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Thanks for the input! I've been doing my best to keep the methodology very strict and consistent. If/when I put the information out, I will be sure to include the specifics.

live4luigi

Smash Rookie
NNID
pikaxluigi24
(Brace yourselves :4kirby: fans [im a kirby fan too])

I was playing for glory 4P (Not a good idea) when loser Kirby (whom I use that term loosely for because he kept winning) Kept using hammer and stone and ends up winning the round with 3 or more points each time....What's worse is he kept focusing the attacks on me, even when I did nothing! he made me mad that I had to call him "loser" and it takes a lot for me to call someone that...

Last edited:

Voltaire

Smash Rookie
I wish I was at home so I could smash ;-;
How does one get through the school day

Grim!

Smash Cadet
Is there anyone who wants to play me.I`m a Rosalina main and i second Cloud/Donkey Kong.I tought it would be fun to share friendcodes I`m from Holland btw

Top Bottom