• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Link guide: The Art of Link 2

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
@ Izaw Izaw : I already wrote a youtube comment on your video. I'd appreciate it if you could add an annotation or something so that your video doesn't become another source of misinformation about the Jab Cancel tech. There is already far too much misunderstanding surrounding it and perhaps your video can help to correct that.

Edit: Oh and this may end up being merged into the video thread or something, but I'm willing to let it be for now. There are a lot of great points in your video, some of which I want to look into myself.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
@ Izaw Izaw just to let you know that someone has "borrowed" your "Art of Link" guide name, so now this video seems like a sequel to his.

Will check out the guide in a sec. Also, you won't get hate for doing work for Link, at least not from me.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Probably shouldn't have included Fox and Falco in the list of projectiles that Hylian shield doesn't block because that will soon be patched. Jab 1 also true combos into Utilt at high percents, surprised you didn't mention that. Foxy already mentioned the thing about the jab "infinite". Bombs explode after 3.66 seconds if you want to get technical. Also, bombs explode at 6% damage, not after. I'm also surprised you didn't include soft bomb throws.

A lot of things seemed flashy and impractical, as to be expected. I'd be lying if i said I didn't learn a couple things though. I'll add this to the Index.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Having watched the guide I agree with most of what Zelkam said, if not everything. The one thing that surprises me though is you not including soft throws since that is possibly our biggest tech in the current meta. Also, the Jab cancel tech isn't an infinite per se.

Over all it's a good guide and definitively worth keeping, even if somewhat incomplete still.

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
Pretty much what I'll be having on repeat for the next week trying to master all the stuff in the video. Good way to put a lot of useful stuff into a presentation that I don't have to sift through the boards to learn about.

Disaster-sama

Smash Cadet
NNID
El_huracan
Excellent video, I liked how you went and explained moves that no other "guide" video normally talks about, great editing too.
And your Link, best Link in this board definitely.

I wish there was an App I could add all the info you gave that are character specific.

Keep it up.

Wold91

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wold91
Yo dude, you just got one more subscriber. This video was great, and I realize now that I have many hours in training mode ahead of me. Thanks! :)

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
Amazing work as always Izaw. I certainly picked up a lot of new tricks and follow-ups to implement to my overall game thanks to your guide. The crazy antics you can do with bombs is truly incredible, I can't wait to experiment more with them.

Also, I can't help but agree with you about the recently discovered jab-canceling. The ways it can be abused is ridiculous, and certainly takes the fun out of any match. I avoid abusing it, and I also hope it somehow recieves a patch.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Also, I can't help but agree with you about the recently discovered jab-canceling.
Jab Cancelling was recently discovered?
The ways it can be abused is ridiculous, and certainly takes the fun out of any match.
Any match?
I avoid abusing it, and I also hope it somehow recieves a patch.
It needs to be patched out?

Do tell.
Oh but before you do, have a quick read of this http://smashboards.com/threads/link...-techniques-here.379659/page-11#post-18513196 and feel free to play around with Fox's double Jab cancel string.

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
Jab Cancelling was recently discovered?

Any match?

It needs to be patched out?

Do tell.
Oh but before you do, have a quick read of this http://smashboards.com/threads/link...-techniques-here.379659/page-11#post-18513196 and feel free to play around with Fox's double Jab cancel string.
I was refering to the single jab to crouch cancel infinite string. Perhaps I worded it wrong, but that was what I was refering to. As in recently, I do mean it's only been recently utilized by a good portion of Link players. Perhaps over the course of the past few months, so-to-speak.

And yeah, I know about Fox's double jab cancel. I've utilized it since 3ds. I rarely play fox, but I've pulled him out a couple of times.

Fox's double jab cancel just comes off as easier to Di out of to me. Link's can be carried out for a rather extended period of time, not to mention following up with an up-smash is pretty much a garantued ko.

I just feel that some players could consistently abuse it. I know some characters are viable to escape at earlier percentages, but not all of them unfortunately.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Did you even follow the link? Are you trying to teach me?
Just... I'm telling you that there is no reason to patch it out when fully understood and put into perspective.

Edit: Look you know what, don't even worry about it. I've become touchy when it comes to this because I'm so sick of all the ignorance and my apparent powerlessness to do anything about it. I'm sorry for being a jerk.

Last edited:

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
Did you even follow the link? Are you trying to teach me?
Just... I'm telling you that there is no reason to patch it out when fully understood and put into perspective.
No of course not, I'm probably in no position to teach anyone here. I'm sorry if I disrespected you. I've just maintained this opinion for a while, and I've already witnessed it utilized in abusive ways. But you are right in regards to what you mentioned in the linked thread.

I just feel as if Link already has enough to work off of. A nearly infinite string being implemented just seems out-landish, and unnesscary to me. "I" would rather have it patched, but that doesn't mean it undoubtfully should.

No, I apologize for coming off as arrogant. Forgive me. You honestly did nothing wrong.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
We've had the jab infinite discussions several times, and the great conclusion was that, though we find it an annoying technique of the kind that was used against us for years (I still shiver thinking of all the chaingrabs I endured in Brawl!) patching it out would be detrimental to Jab1's combo potential, and its linking into Utilt and possibly into grab or Dsmash is too important for us. Jab cancelling is supposed to be in the game, but the in-game tip tells you to use follow-ups after Jab2 for no ascertainable reason, so it's safe they say they would simply reduce the Jab1 frame advantage.

Besides, as Foxy showed in the Metagame thread, it doesn't work for very long on that many characters. In most match-ups it's a neat tool for some extra damage, not much more.

Disaster-sama

Smash Cadet
NNID
El_huracan
Wow damn, chill out. The man was just misinformed, it's not like he was accusing anyone or causing harm.

Personally, I don't want this to be patched. I really get annoyed when I get comboed with braindead utilts into any finisher, that alone can rack up 30% easily, if you are not aware of the combo or DI poorly. That's the equivalent of what, 9-11 jabs succesfully canceled? If you go out and cancel 10 jabs succesfully I think is a better reward getting 30% out of it than just a stupid grab, d-throw, utilt, utilt, upb. (you can't succesfully jab lock 10 jabs at any char... just clarifying)

I understand that Izaw is teaching Link players to be creative and resourceful. I used to double jab cancel into grab a lot, until I learned this technique. It really made my Link play less smart, but you don't get the wins by playing smart...
Well you do, but not with that kind of smart.

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
We've had the jab infinite discussions several times, and the great conclusion was that, though we find it an annoying technique of the kind that was used against us for years (I still shiver thinking of all the chaingrabs I endured in Brawl!) patching it out would be detrimental to Jab1's combo potential, and its linking into Utilt and possibly into grab or Dsmash is too important for us. Jab cancelling is supposed to be in the game, but the in-game tip tells you to use follow-ups after Jab2 for no ascertainable reason, so it's safe they say they would simply reduce the Jab1 frame advantage.

Besides, as Foxy showed in the Metagame thread, it doesn't work for very long on that many characters. In most match-ups it's a neat tool for some extra damage, not much more.
Hm, you know...Even after reading all that, I didn't think about that. Patching that would affect his follow-ups out of single / double jab, which is probably one of my favorite things and most effective aspects about Link. Them mere fact that you can follow up into pretty much anything after his jabs really implements to his overall meta-game...

Wow damn, chill out. The man was just misinformed, it's not like he was accusing anyone or causing harm.

Personally, I don't want this to be patched. I really get annoyed when I get comboed with braindead utilts into any finisher, that alone can rack up 30% easily, if you are not aware of the combo or DI poorly. That's the equivalent of what, 9-11 jabs succesfully canceled? If you go out and cancel 10 jabs succesfully I think is a better reward getting 30% out of it than just a stupid grab, d-throw, utilt, utilt, upb. (you can't succesfully jab lock 10 jabs at any char... just clarifying)

I understand that Izaw is teaching Link players to be creative and resourceful. I used to double jab cancel into grab a lot, until I learned this technique. It really made my Link play less smart, but you don't get the wins by playing smart...
Well you do, but not with that kind of smart.
I fully understand what you're saying, and you're right in some aspect. Sometimes, it's better to be effective than creative. Being creative means you're viable to make more mistakes during a competitive match, but it also establishes that unpredictable factor. That creativity can either be a curse or a crucial benefit. You just can't be afraid to try things out, and if it doesn't go exactly as you planned, just nod your head, and know not to try that again, or hit training mode, and perfect it to the point where you can apply it in any situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
And don't even get me started on 'Infinite'. This word should not be used in relation to Link's Jab Cancel string because it gives the wrong impression (but just try to stop people from using it; go on, try). Even semi-infinite (which is really just infinite when you think about it) or any variation thereof. Link's Jab 1 has knockback growth, meaning that it will hit people further away as their percent gets higher (as opposed to, for example, Toon's Jab 1). All infinites are bad and should be patched, and if they aren't you can guarantee that they will have specific rules relating to them in tournaments, for example, the IC's are not allowed to chain grab beyond 300%. True infinites, by their very definition, can be done indefinitely and are forever inescapable if you are perfect (you know, if there wasn't a timer that is). With Link, it doesn't matter how perfect you are, every character will escape of their own accord as they will be hit too high causing you to miss the next Jab or maybe you'll wait for them to come back down within reach which will allow them to escape. This is so even for the worst case scenario examples of which there are only a few. The last time I checked, 'infinite' didn't mean 'works for a decent amount of time but no further'. It's actually driving me insane XD. Somebody help.

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
And don't even get me started on 'Infinite'. This word should not be used in relation to Link's Jab Cancel string because it gives the wrong impression (but just try to stop people from using it; go on, try). Even semi-infinite (which is really just infinite when you think about it) or any variation thereof. Link's Jab 1 has knockback growth, meaning that it will hit people further away as their percent gets higher (as opposed to, for example, Toon's Jab 1). All infinites are bad and should be patched, and if they aren't you can guarantee that they will have specific rules relating to them in tournaments, for example, the IC's are not allowed to chain grab beyond 300%. True infinites, by their very definition, can be done indefinitely and are forever inescapable if you are perfect (you know, if there wasn't a timer that is). With Link, it doesn't matter how perfect you are, every character will escape of their own accord as they will be hit too high causing you to miss the next Jab or maybe you'll wait for them to come back down within reach which will allow them to escape. This is so even for the worst case scenario examples of which there are only a few. The last time I checked, 'infinite' didn't mean 'works for a decent amount of time but no further'. It's actually driving me insane XD. Somebody help.
You're right, perhaps the term "infinite" is a bit far-fetched, even in regards to my opinion. But even I was aware it couldn't go on forever, it was a bit of an over-exaggeration for "a long time". So I apologize for the misusage of my terminology there.

Disaster-sama

Smash Cadet
NNID
El_huracan
And don't even get me started on 'Infinite'. This word should not be used in relation to Link's Jab Cancel string because it gives the wrong impression (but just try to stop people from using it; go on, try). Even semi-infinite (which is really just infinite when you think about it) or any variation thereof.
I kind of understand your point. You don't want people to call this tech (if you are a Link main) or exploit (if you are bowser lol) an infinite because 1. it isn't and 2. Sakurai might think it is an inifnite, or will say "alright, everyone thinks it's an infinite and it bothers them. Just patch it, go... Link's jab1 has a -10 advantage... didn't like the ****** since 64 anyway".

By watching Izaw video I realize, okay I can play a Link that is not only smart but I can make the most of my reads. Normally, I go out in For Glory and play a zoner, calculated Link. I space my aerials and ground attacks accordingly so I don't get punished most of the time. Rack up damage and kill at high percentage. But with this off stage bomb tech I can see myself getting reads that kill at low-mid percentage.
Like I said, a lot of this is character specific so I think the tech including in the video will get lots of results in the long run. I', really thinking in developing an App myself just for writing down match up notes.

Top Bottom