• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 is nothing like Smash 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
I heard that smash 4 is a lot like smash 64. Mostly heard it from melee players, because they mistakenly think they know all about 64 (which they don't; and is why they make the comparison).
General 64 mechanics that Smash 4 does not have:
These are all used extensively in higher level competitive play.
Movement:

Z-Canceling: In 64, effectively the entire landing lag of an areal move can be canceled (there are 3 extra lag frames if it was a fast fall move).

Pivoting. (and dash dancing). In 64, a character has a widow of frames where they can stop a characters' momentum and change direction without any animation that prevents the ability to do moves.

Edge Canceling: In 64, the teetering animation and taunt animations can be used to instantly stop a character at full running speed. This is similar to the following:

Slip-offs: In 64, a grounded character that has reverse horizontal momentum, or areal horizontal momentum (plus a very small space / frame window) can slip off a ledge, which in the areal case can be used to auto cancel almost any areal moves (specials included) with 0 delay. If the character is grounded they can fast fall and grab the ledge, this is usually used in conjunction with pivoting in order to ledgehog.

Shield Drop. In 64, a character on a platform can cancel part of the dropping animation and immediately fall through the platform, as well as get a 2 frame invincibility window. Since shielding can be used to stop momentum, this effectively allows a character to drop through a platform while running.
Techniques / Misc. Mechanics:

Parry: Every single character in smash 64 has a 2 frame parry by shield jumping. It negates any hitbox (including grabs) that contacts the character's hurtbox while in the 2 frame window.

Ledge-Hogging: If you don't know what this is, then your future is bleak.

Copious Amounts of Hitstun: Smash 64 has the most hitstun of all the smash games, leading to a large amount of diverse combos for each character. Shields suffer from hitstun in 64 way more than any other smash game also, so blocking in general is not good.

Movement while in hitstun: Commonly called DI, which is a misnomer. It is analogous "smash DI" in melee. While a character is in hitstun, if the player rapidly mashes a direction, they can move their position before knockback is applied. Most simple combos are negated by the technique, but it takes skill and effort to execute competently. The mechanic leads to things like reverse ledge DI. In smash 4 there is "vectoring".​
General Mechanics Found in Smash 4 which are absent from Smash 64:

Spot Dodge: Not much different than 64's shield jump parry, except you don't jump and it lasts way longer than 2 frames. Hence, the timing skill required is much lower.

Air Dodge: Same as a spot dodge, but in the air. Reduces the amount of punishes the game has.

Rubber-band ledges: It seems that the rubber-banding gives the character invincibility frames, which reduces the amount of punishes the game has

Foot-stool: Woah, a decent game mechanic?!

Extra moves: More throwing directions, and an extra special move.
Done for now, might update this in the future.

Each smash game seems to become more defense oriented; hence the best strategies will be the campy ones.
The movement and speed of 4 are nowhere near as fast as 64; I have smashfests at my house with melee, pm, 64, and this weekend was the first time there was smash 4 there, and the 4-stock dreamland 64 games consistently end faster than the other ones (in many cases they are 2-3x faster).

Oh and Smash "4" is not the 4th smash game.
SSB64 had at least 3 unique versions each with mechanics and character changes. Competitevely (J) and (U) have very different metagames. These differences in mechanics and character changes are almost as game-changing as the differences between brawl and smash 4.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I'm not perfect, you guys. I haven't played an N64 in a few years. :\

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
You had one job
and forgot that the N64 doesn't have a Z Button.
It does.

@OP, I hadn't heard any mechanical comparisons between Smash 4 and 64. I think most people who said so either meant that some moves/characters work more similarly to their 64 counterpart and/or were addressing the prominence of uptilts/uairs in combos.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
You had one job
and forgot that the N64 doesn't have a Z Button.

ONCE AGAIN PROVING MY POINT: Mostly heard it from melee players, because they mistakenly think they know all about 64 (which they don't; and is why they make the comparison).

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
the button on the back of the controller literally has the letter "Z" on it

ONCE AGAIN PROVING MY POINT: Mostly heard it from melee players, because they mistakenly think they know all about 64 (which they don't; and is why they make the comparison).
...But I'm not a Melee Player. Infact, I don't even own Melee. Point has no proof if ya don't got evidence.
And I haven't played a N64 in years, so you can't expect me to be perfect in memory.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
There's also the fact that the 64 meta consists entirely of zero to death combos while Sm4sh definitely does not.

Edit: I was corrected three times already, don't quote me again.

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Double Post
when I say melee players, i mean non-64 players. Majority of competitive smash players are melee players so i lump them all together

There's also the fact that the 64 meta consists entirely of zero to death combos
This is a vast over-exaggeration and plain not true at high caliber play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Before the game was released I did hear from these forums that the game felt like 64. Then I heard that character physics felt like melee. Then I heard Brawl 2.0. I was lied to, but I agree with Empyrean, it was probably a generalization.

In the end though, we can't stop people from posting their opinions, whether right/wrong/maybe. We just have to trust in our own judgement. We can however try to enlighten others. This game definitely does not feel like 64 or melee. I didn't play enough Brawl but it does feel different than it, in a good way at least.

Senario

Smash Ace
Melee players? What? Most opinions about smash 4 I have heard from melee players is that it is closer to brawl than any other smash game.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Melee players? What? Most opinions about smash 4 I have heard from melee players is that it is closer to brawl than any other smash game.
True, however, there has been a minority exaggerating its likeness to 64, which the OP demonstrates admirably as patently and completely false.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I've heard it being called, "like 64" or "like Brawl..." But this game feels like a combination of speed of Brawl and Melee, mechanics may be different sure, but this game feels amazing, close to being on par with melee, close being the keyword. I actually think I'm enjoying smash 4 more then melee though...

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Each smash game seems to become more defense oriented.
Gotta disagree with this. I'd say the defensiveness in each game is pretty non-linear. 64 is more defensive than Melee because the punish game is so strong (in addition to there being less mobility options/speed). Despite that, 64 is leagues more aggressive than Smash 4 and Smash 4 is slightly more aggressive than Brawl.

yttik

I agree with you on all this except when you say Smash 4 isn't the fourth game.
While J64 is quite different from U64, it's no where near the difference as from Brawl to 4. No characters have been removed/added, no major changes have been made to movesets etc. It's not just some characters moving up a few tiers or something, it's completely altered. The version differences may be game-changing, making you play differently in some situations but Brawl to 4 is... literally game changing. If ya really want to go all technical on this I guess we can call it Smash 8 or something, considering all the different versions of 64 and Melee.

I don't see the problem with the name, calling it Smash 4 is quick and describes both the Wii U and the 3DS version.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Pivoting. (and dash dancing). In 64, a character has a widow of frames where they can stop a characters' momentum and change direction without any animation that prevents the ability to do moves.

Also, Diddy's SideB kick slides off the ledge and slip cancels because of it. So there's one move!

Last edited:

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
of course smash 4 is not n64 smash ._. who is stupid enough to believe that?

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
More mechanics for smash 4 or 5 if that's what you want to call it; pivot canceling, JC throw, DACUS, RAR, and glide tossing.
Is your purpose for being on Smashboards is to defend the vague group of Melee players at every turn?
of course smash 4 is not n64 smash ._. who is stupid enough to believe that?
Seriously there are a lot of people who say this. Its just innocent ignorance really.

Last edited:

1MachGO

Smash Ace

Also, Diddy's SideB kick slides off the ledge and slip cancels because of it. So there's one move!
Calling this dash dancing is generous. It offers none of the neutral game mix ups present in Melee or 64.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Come on, dude. This video is irrelevant. The dash-dancing window makes it a negligent factor in any real gameplay, thus it can be considered as not existing at all since it is so irrelevant.

Last edited:

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Come on, dude. This video is irrelevant. The dash-dancing window makes it a negligent factor in any real gameplay, thus it can be considered as not existing at all since it is so irrelevant.
The hell are you talking about? You can interrupt the starting dash frames at any point, how is that irrelevant? You can even cancel them in to smashes, tilts, roll, grab, jump, almost anything. You can even pivot smash/tilt during the dance/initial dash animation.

I just tested jab. You can cancel dash dancing in to a jab.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
The hell are you talking about? You can interrupt the starting dash frames at any point, how is that irrelevant? You can even cancel them in to smashes, tilts, roll, grab, jump, almost anything. You can even pivot smash/tilt during the dance/initial dash animation.

Like it was said above, it offers none of the neutral game mixups that the Melee/64 dash dance did. Just because it is present doesn't mean it's not a negligible part of the gameplay.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord

Congratulations, but spazzing out in one place and being able to do a move from it is no different to just standing in place and doing a move from it. It's nowhere near close to the real dash dancing you could do in melee/64

1MachGO

Smash Ace

LOL what the hell are you talking about?

The point of dash dancing is to have ambiguous movement so you can bait/approach your opponent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk09c6iLLdU#t=22

In the above vid, we see how Mango is mixing long and short dashes to coax Armada into thinking he is in range when he isn't.

The DD window in Smash 4 is too small to offer any of the aforementioned usage. You could literally accomplish all of the same things you mentioned by standing in place or walking (and with the added perk of not destroying your 3ds circle pad)

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord

dash dancing in 64 works because pivoting exists. Every character can pivot in 64. I have not played any character in handheld smash that can pivot the way i described it

no major changes have been made to movesets etc.
There are major changes between J and U smash games for at least luigi, puff, fox, kirby, samus, falcon, yoshi, link, and dk.
Things like invincibility frames, knockback angles, knockback distances, and damage % are all changed..

I probably play across the 2 64 versions more than anyone else that plays 64 competitively

Last edited:

GLStephen

Smash Cadet
Oh and Smash "4" is not the 4th smash game.
SSB64 had at least 3 unique versions each with mechanics and character changes. Competitevely (J) and (U) have very different metagames. These differences in mechanics and character changes are almost as game-changing as the differences between brawl and smash 4.
XD
Thank you for this thread. I needed that.

yttik

I guess this is kinda stupid for us to go on about what the definition of "major" changes is. I know the differences I just think it's kind of odd to call it a different game because of them and how small they are that's all. Of course it's good to acknowledge that they have different ways to be played but calling it a different game and saying that the name Smash 4 is wrong because of it? nah

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
I guess this is kinda stupid for us to go on about what the definition of "major" changes is. I know the differences I just think it's kind of odd to call it a different game because of them and how small they are that's all. Of course it's good to acknowledge that they have different ways to be played but calling it a different game and saying that the name Smash 4 is wrong because of it? nah
There are other differences outside of characters too (forgot to mention jump heights), like a quarter of the amount of DI, and way less attack lag, so there is even more punish. The original smash bros title doesn't even translate to the north american title

"Nintendo All Star! Great Melee Smash Brothers!"
vs
"Super Smash Bros."

Last edited:
3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Mechanically the game is not similar to Smash 64, not totally.

However the physics (as in how the characters move on the ground and in the air) feels closer to 64 than it does to Brawl or Melee.

Shears

Smash Master
Warning Received
There's also the fact that the 64 meta consists entirely of zero to death combos while Sm4sh definitely does not.
This is why I hate the other smash communities. There are so few true zero to death combos in the game and most are hard to perform. Falcon has one of the easiest ones on pika and with proper DI and bad reads by the falcon, it can be escaped. Your ignorance is offensive and will not be tolerated. Go zero to death yourself.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Are TF2 and TF2 not the same game? Different versions of a game don't make it a different game...

Aside from that point, pretty spot on. Though certain aspects of Smash4 DO feel like 64. Grabs in particular are much more spacing oriented now instead of combo moves like they were in other games.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I'm not going to turn this into an opinions about Smash 4 thread, most of the OP is entirely correct. The only callback to 64 I can see is the dash grabs being faster than Melee but that's about it, honestly.(Not counting JC Dash grabs) Otherwise the OP is entirely correct and I see no reason to disagree.

Signia

Smash Lord
Grabs in particular are much more spacing oriented now instead of combo moves like they were in other games.
So grabs that don't lead to combos or kill very is early is "spacing-oriented" now? lol what does that have to do with spacing?

Raijinken

Smash Master
So grabs that don't lead to combos or kill very is early is "spacing-oriented" now? lol what does that have to do with spacing?
"Get off me" type spacing. Perhaps "space-creating" would have been a better word to use.

Not that all grabs are this way. Several of them can combo into a few other moves.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Did someone really think that the z button isn't in smash 64. OK, I might be leaving this thread already.

In all seriousness, the game isn't like 64 at all because of the hella changed combo system. Not to mention, so far, there isn't this move yet. (which is a good thing)

Studstill

Smash Ace
Get off Kirby, Koro; rofl at Z button, the those timetravelling melees are at it again!
Steve, I`m sure you meant "about a quarter less DI" to mean that there is one less frame for input and it is in general 40% weaker, (J) to (U).
Seriously, ROFL at Z button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom