• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Final Video Presentation Recap

What was your favorite part of the direct?

• Cloud and Midgar Stage Information

Votes: 95 12.9%
  • New Mii Costumes

Votes: 32 4.4%
  • Corrin Chooses To Smash

Votes: 184 25.0%
  • Bayonetta Gets Wicked! And New Umbra Clock Tower Stage

Votes: 424 57.7%

• Total voters
As Sakurai set to close the curtains on Smash 4, our excitements could not be contained. Whistles blew on hype trains across the world as Smash fans settled in for what was to be the final video presentation for Smash 4. We got many amazing announcement that are sure to entice. For those who have yet to watch the direct this is the final warning before we get to spoilers, so turn around now or learn what Smash 4 still has in store!

---​

Corrin, the main character from from Fire Emblem: Fates is coming to Smash! Corrin will have a male and female version of the character similar to Robin or Wii Fit Trainer. As "dragon blood runs through his veins" some of his moves will involve partial transformation. If Corrin is purchased for the Wii U version, two free songs will be included on the the Fire Emblem stages in the games from Fire Emblem Fates. Two special trophies for Fire Emblem Fates have also been added to Smash 3DS. Corrin has a hopeful release in February 2016 and is expected to cost $4.99 for the character.

Corrin Chooses To Smash!

Many details on Cloud's gameplay were explained during the presentation including the mechanics of his Limit Gauge as well as how the new stage Midgar would use 'summons' like Ifrit, Ramuh, Odin, and more! Cloud and his new stage Midgar will be coming to Smash 4 for download later today! They can be bought as a bundle for $5.99.

New Mii Costumes!

While many expected the Chocobo Mi hat after the Cloud's announcement, another character with strong ties to Square Enix and Nintendo also made his way into Smash as a costume: Super Mario RPG's Geno! This wasn't the end either as many more costumes were announced such as:
  • Knuckles (Sonic) - Mii Brawler Costume
  • Tails (Sonic) - Mii Gunner Costume
  • Bionic - Brawler
  • Ashley (Wario Ware Inc. Mega Microgame$)- Swordfighter
  • Gil - (The Tower Of Druaga) Swordfighter
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) - Swordfighter

Bayonetta comes to Smash! She was the winner of the Smash Ballot in Europe, within the top 5 in America, and was the most "realizable fighter" within the ballot. Umbra Clock Tower will be coming as Bayonetta's stage with it's own unique music as well as special trophies form the game. February 2016 is also the targeted release date for Bayonetta. All characters announced today will also have amiibos made for them as well.

Bayonetta Gets Wicked!

The full presentation with more details can be viewed here. Feel the hype Smash fans? Is that pure energy unable to be contained? Jump into the comments section below and tell us what was the best part of this direct and as always stay tuned to Smashboards for the finest in Smash news coverage

Last edited:

Comments

That direct was a complete **** show. Sakurai slapped the fans in the face just so he could keep drooling over Fire Emblem. Nobody wanted Corrin, "fan service" my ***. That could have, and should have, been Inkling if he wanted to promote a newer game so much. Inkling got robbed, simple as that.

And Bayonetta...yeah. Simply put, I honestly don't believe she won the ballot.

I'm really sorry for all the people who campaigned for characters we actually wanted, like K. Rool, Wolf, Inkling, Issac, etc. Hopefully next Smash, Sakurai finally steps down and gives control to someone who won't spill his biases into the game.
Thank you! My dude! I will never stop complaining about this Direct; it was so God-awful.

Been reading this thread and decide to make an account cause holy crap the sense entitlement here is insane. First it’s understandable why certain characters didn’t make it like Shantae and Shovel Knight first off with Shantae she is just not that big or an iconic character she is simply an indie character that only fans of the platforming genre heard of hell I wouldn’t be surprised if Sakurai hasn’t heard of her until the ballot. Shovel Knight while I would argue that Shovel Knight is by far more popular then Shantae his game hasn’t even released in Japan and its only game that released in 2014 while Shovel Knight was a great game it’s easy to see why he wouldn’t make it in.

On the topic of Konami characters, firstly I don’t understand why anyone would want to give this company any more money a company that treats their employee’s like ****, a company that took a game’s opening and made it a 40 dollar demo, a company that fire their biggest and most valuable developer (someone is arguably as respected and love Miymato) over pachiko machines, a company that is done with the AAA games industry, a company that cancelled what would one of if not the best horror game ever made, a company rushed Phantom Pain out resulting in its mess of a second half and having an ending to a major plot point of the game cut. Also I would not surprise if Nintendo and Sakurai tried to get Snake back in but Konami didn’t want free money cause if isn’t obvious at this point to say that they’re pretty dumb would be an understatement. Now with

Geno I honestly thought a lot of people had given up by now since he last appeared in a cameo in Super Star Saga a game that is over a decade old but look on the bright side the fact he is a mii costume means that Nintendo and Square haven’t forgotten about and I honestly think this only increases his chances to be in the next Smash Bros game. With King K Rolo most of what I said about Geno applies here though I honestly he was owned by Rare until I saw the Mii fighter costume epically since he wasn’t in the Retro Donkey Kong games. Now with Wolf I honestly have no explanation why he isn’t the game hell I was expecting Nintendo was going to do this “pre-order Star Fox 0 and get Wolf in Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS for free” maybe Sakurai could make like at the last minute since he wouldn’t take as much work as Corrin or Bayonetta since he was in a previous smash game and he was a semi-clone and release alongside those 2. Inkling while a part of me was thinking they would be the ballot winner at the might be too new since their game was release almost 2 months after the ballot started and no expected the game too be as popular as it is and I would be shocked if they aren’t among the first new comers announced for Smash 5 and that a sequel to Splatoon isn’t already in development for the NX hasn’t already been greenlit.

Lastly a lot of claim Sakurai is bias and a fanboy but would makes not that as well we’re all fanboys and have a bias towards something maybe its cause I’m 18 but if I was director I probably wouldn’t have put King K Rolo in since I have no attachment to the Donkey Kong series what so ever and would have put the entire party of the original Xenoblade since that is my favorite Wii game and one of my top 3 favorite games of last gen and I would of cut Sonic out as cause I’m a huge fanboy of the Yakuza series and am super salty at Sega for funding sonic boom and last world instead localizing more titles in the series what’s to stop you from doing something similar?

That direct was a complete **** show. Sakurai slapped the fans in the face just so he could keep drooling over Fire Emblem. Nobody wanted Corrin, "fan service" my ***. That could have, and should have, been Inkling if he wanted to promote a newer game so much. Inkling got robbed, simple as that.

I'm really sorry for all the people who campaigned for characters we actually wanted, like K. Rool, Wolf, Inkling, Issac, etc. Hopefully next Smash, Sakurai finally steps down and gives control to someone who won't spill his biases into the game.
Thank god! Finally, someone with some common sense. That makes me, you, and Dan.

I think some people may need a refresher or otherwise glazed over this when I first posted it, so here it is again. I highly doubt Sakurai's theoretical bias influenced the amount of Fire Emblem reps in this game. Rather, Fire Emblem was just in all the right places at all the right times, so to speak.
I said:
...I think it's important to realize why Fire Emblem has so many reps. It's not that Sakurai is biased or whatever, but simply that Fire Emblem got very lucky. Awakening was a brand-new, very popular game at the time that Smash 4's development started, which helped Robin get in and more than likely influenced Lucina's transformation from an alternate costume into a full-on clone, Roy was a popular veteran who was easy to implement as a semi-clone via DLC, and Fates is in a similar boat to Awakening in Japan and is simultaneously being hyped up for its international release next year, which influenced Corrin's inclusion. All of that, and then the mainstays of Marth and Ike. Fire Emblem just had everything going for it when it came time to choose veterans, newcomers, and DLC characters alike; it's as simple as that. I highly doubt Sakurai's purely theoretical "bias" influenced much of anything, at least, not to any measurable extent.
Plus, I can't think of a single character that would fight like Corrin. He looks like a really unique, stylish fighter. I would imagine that Corrin's distinctive moveset potential influenced his inclusion, as well.

Been reading this thread and decide to make an account cause holy crap the sense entitlement here is insane. First it’s understandable why certain characters didn’t make it like Shantae and Shovel Knight first off with Shantae she is just not that big or an iconic character she is simply an indie character that only fans of the platforming genre heard of hell I wouldn’t be surprised if Sakurai hasn’t heard of her until the ballot. Shovel Knight while I would argue that Shovel Knight is by far more popular then Shantae his game hasn’t even released in Japan and its only game that released in 2014 while Shovel Knight was a great game it’s easy to see why he wouldn’t make it in.

On the topic of Konami characters, firstly I don’t understand why anyone would want to give this company any more money a company that treats their employee’s like ****, a company that took a game’s opening and made it a 40 dollar demo, a company that fire their biggest and most valuable developer (someone is arguably as respected and love Miymato) over pachiko machines, a company that is done with the AAA games industry, a company that cancelled what would one of if not the best horror game ever made, a company rushed Phantom Pain out resulting in its mess of a second half and having an ending to a major plot point of the game cut. Also I would not surprise if Nintendo and Sakurai tried to get Snake back in but Konami didn’t want free money cause if isn’t obvious at this point to say that they’re pretty dumb would be an understatement. Now with

Geno I honestly thought a lot of people had given up by now since he last appeared in a cameo in Super Star Saga a game that is over a decade old but look on the bright side the fact he is a mii costume means that Nintendo and Square haven’t forgotten about and I honestly think this only increases his chances to be in the next Smash Bros game. With King K Rolo most of what I said about Geno applies here though I honestly he was owned by Rare until I saw the Mii fighter costume epically since he wasn’t in the Retro Donkey Kong games. Now with Wolf I honestly have no explanation why he isn’t the game hell I was expecting Nintendo was going to do this “pre-order Star Fox 0 and get Wolf in Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS for free” maybe Sakurai could make like at the last minute since he wouldn’t take as much work as Corrin or Bayonetta since he was in a previous smash game and he was a semi-clone and release alongside those 2. Inkling while a part of me was thinking they would be the ballot winner at the might be too new since their game was release almost 2 months after the ballot started and no expected the game too be as popular as it is and I would be shocked if they aren’t among the first new comers announced for Smash 5 and that a sequel to Splatoon isn’t already in development for the NX hasn’t already been greenlit.

Lastly a lot of claim Sakurai is bias and a fanboy but would makes not that as well we’re all fanboys and have a bias towards something maybe its cause I’m 18 but if I was director I probably wouldn’t have put King K Rolo in since I have no attachment to the Donkey Kong series what so ever and would have put the entire party of the original Xenoblade since that is my favorite Wii game and one of my top 3 favorite games of last gen and I would of cut Sonic out as cause I’m a huge fanboy of the Yakuza series and am super salty at Sega for funding sonic boom and last world instead localizing more titles in the series what’s to stop you from doing something similar?
"Sense of entitlement". Please. Sakurai doesn't owe us anything; we don't owe him anything.

It's understandable why Shantae and Shovel Knight didn't make it in; because they didn't garner as many votes as Bayonetta. And Corrin's game hasn't even released in North America, so now what? I'm not trying to be an A-hole at all; sorry if I come across that way.

If you were the director, you don't have to, but you should really have respect for the entirety of Nintendo's history, and totally be unbiased towards your own personal tastes. Donkey Kong is much more important in the grand scheme of things than Xenbloade. I know there is no definitive answer to this, but to me, Smash Bros. is a celebration of Nintendo's time as a video game company. Sakurai clearly doesn't see it that way anymore; just as video games in general, which I think is a huge mistake. I am fine with Sonic, I am fine with Pac-Man, I am fine with Ryu and Mega Man because they all had some kind of history with Nintendo; not Cloud.

I think some people may need a refresher or otherwise glazed over this when I first posted it, so here it is again. I highly doubt Sakurai's theoretical bias influenced the amount of Fire Emblem reps in this game. Rather, Fire Emblem was just in all the right places at all the right times, so to speak.

Plus, I can't think of a single character that would fight like Corrin. He looks like a really unique, stylish fighter. I would imagine that Corrin's distinctive moveset potential influenced his inclusion, as well.
Yeah, you are right on with everything, I just don't agree with the decision though. We don't need walking advertisements in Smash.

Last edited:
"Sense of entitlement". Please. Sakurai doesn't owe us anything; we don't owe him anything.

It's understandable why Shantae and Shovel Knight didn't make it in; because they didn't garner as many votes as Bayonetta. And Corrin's game hasn't even released in North America, so now what? I'm not trying to be an A-hole at all; sorry if I come across that way.

If you were the director, you don't have to, but you should really have respect for the entirety of Nintendo's history, and totally be unbiased towards your own personal tastes. Donkey Kong is much more important in the grand scheme of things than Xenbloade. I know there is no definitive answer to this, but to me, Smash Bros. is a celebration of Nintendo's time as a video game company. Sakurai clearly doesn't see it that way anymore; just as video games in general, which I think is a huge mistake. I am fine with Sonic, I am fine with Pac-Man, I am fine with Ryu and Mega Man because they all had some kind of history with Nintendo; not Cloud.

Yeah, you are right on with everything, I just don't agree with the decision though. We don't need walking advertisements in Smash.
Yeah! I mean, what has Smash become? Just a cheap way to market new characters and advertise other companies' games (Cloud)?

Yeah! I mean, what has Smash become? Just a cheap way to market new characters and advertise other companies' games (Cloud)?
That's a perfectly respectable stance. You don't have to agree with Sakurai's decision, not by any means. As long as you know why Sakurai did what he did, it's entirely alright to disagree with him. Though, just to clarify my side, I don't think Smash has just become a way to advertise new games. Rather, while relevancy certainly appears to impact a character's chances of getting into Smash, I feel like the "ad characters" also tend to be unique additions. Cloud and Corrin are both very distinctive fighters who have movesets and abilities dissimilar to the rest of Smash's roster, so, despite the fact that they're "ad characters," they play as though they were chosen for any other reason. I would go as far to say that Cloud and Corrin's relevancy is only a fraction of the reason that they were chosen, and that their moveset potential also greatly influenced their inclusion. Also, I personally think that Cloud was added because of his iconicity, not as an advertisement for the upcoming Final Fantasy VII remake, but that's a whole other can of worms. Like I said before, I'm just clarifying my side of the argument; it's totally cool if you disagree.

Thank god! Finally, someone with some common sense. That makes me, you, and Dan.
I don't have anywhere near as much a problem with Corrin as Bayonetta, but I do agree s/he was a bad choice in anything other than a marketing sense, and any other Nintendo character we were thinking had the support to get in would have been a better choice.

While I think the Inklings are a great choice to leave until a potential Smash 5, I think they're still more deserving than Corrin, certainly: their game is already popular and has been out for a fair amount of time... Only potential problem is making such a specialized mechanic of ink-coverage on stages may be too complicated for development this late in the game...

And saying Bayonetta didn't win the ballot? That's what I think, too. Heck, they practically had disclaimers peppering the explanation about how she was the "most reasonable"... And the whole deal that she actually beat out veteran characters like Wolf seems a bit odd. I can understand, perhaps, that some characters that had too many legal problems could have been higher, but I honestly didn't know there was even any significant support for Bayonetta at all, never mind a "top 10" level of support.

I'm overall really angry at this result, despite never expecting any characters I'd like... but I at least thought the choices would be reasonable.

Wolf and Snake are the last non-full-clone veterans left that didn't return (bar Ice Climbers who had a technical reason to be cut) and I figured one of them would be the "respectable choice" (something most people would say was at least somewhat warranted, even if they disagree with the choice) if there wasn't some other Nintendo character newcomer that eclipsed them like Rool, Issac, or Inkling...

And Bayonetta winning... I honestly can't believe she was even on the charts, never mind anywhere near the top...

outside of Corrin there really isn't someone who feels like they are there just to market a game hell the same could be said for Roy in Melee. This isn't Playstation All Stars where it feels like the marketing team decided who can and can't be in the game hell Cloud is an iconic character he's the poster boy of the JRPG genre a genre that is has been heavily represented in smash since the beginning with Ness and Pikichu and the main character of the most loved and popular game Square has ever made he's Square's equivalent to Mega Man, Sonic, and Pacman. He could even symbolize that the bad blood between Square and Nintendo home consoles is gone since after all the development of his game was what caused Square to jump ship the Playstation.

Last edited:
These were the most wanted DLC? What was the whole point of the Smash Ballot if this is what we got?

Corrin is alright, but we have enough Fire Emblem characters and sword characters as it is.

Bayonetta seems like a darker Zero Suit Samus (visually) and doesn't really fit with the rest of the cast.

Hopefully Sakurai was joking about the whole "end of DLC" thing.

i agree with you that smash should be first and foremost a celebration about Nintendo characters but there aint nothing wrong about the 3rd party one's they picked

Sonic = Mario's rival and the mascot of Nintendo's biggest rival in 90's

Pacman = he is as iconic as Mario and Bandai Namco co-developed the game.

Mega-Man = his games were one of if not the most popular third party games for the NES

Ryu = poster boy for the fighting genre the same genre that smash is that ironically until Ryu's inclusion had no representation in the series

Cloud = the poster boy for the JRPG a genre that has had great representation in Smash since the beginning and a genre that Nintendo is one of the biggest players in.

Bayonetta = she not only won the ballot but Platinum (one of the best developers in the industry) have a great relationship cause Nintendo saved Bayonetta 2 from getting cancelled which resulted in one the best games of 2014 and one of the best games on the Wii U.

Last edited:
I can't believe people would have rather had Wolf, a boring semiclone, instead of Bayonetta. I agree with Corrin being an awful choice since almost nobody wanted another Fire Emblem swordsman, but Bayonetta was an amazing character choice. Her moves look really flashy and stylish, and I really like the details that were given to her like the butterflies and rose petals. I didn't vote for her or think she had a chance, but I still welcome her with open arms and am happy with her reveal.
I definitely would rather have new characters than Wolf (Which is why it really bothers me that 3 out of the 7 DLC characters we will have by the time Bayonetta and Corrin release are veterans that for at least Lucas should have been in the game from the start). My question is, is it REALLY that much work to just update Wolf's model and modify some of his moves for this game? IMO Lucas and Wolf should have just been in the game in the first place.

Don't play the game if you don't like it, don't post on smashboards if you don't like, write a letter to Sakurai, simple as that
He is allowed to give his opinions about it here you know, that is kind of the point of this comment section.... Dan Dan does kinda have a point that we were promised fanservice and they gave us Corrin who nobody asked for and Bayonetta who I highly doubt she was even top 5 most voted in the world, especially since they used words like "realizable" when they were explaining how she won which was just kind of a cop out for a ton of characters that probably were "realizable" for this game (come on it would have been SO easy to make a moveset for Shovel Knight!) I can kinda believe she was ONE of the most voted characters in Europe from what Rock & Roller Wabbit Rock & Roller Wabbit said about the Bayo 2 sales in Europe, but I still doubt she was the #1 voted in Europe and even within top 5 worldwide. As much as I respect Sakurai for putting in so much work, I hope that if they make a Smash 5 it won't be directed by someone who is so biased and promises fanservice when they end up giving us a character like Corrin (not saying we didn't get any fanservice, in fact we got a ton of it, but it just doesn't feel right that one of the last 2 DLC characters we are getting is one almost nobody wanted).

Guys. Calm. I know Bayonetta being the winner is bull****, but don't cry over spilt milk. Yes I'm salty af that the piece of **** named Lucas got in and not wolf, Fire Wmblem is over represented. But just QUIT COMPLAINING. What's done is done.

He is allowed to give his opinions about it here you know, that is kind of the point of this comment section.... Dan Dan does kinda have a point that we were promised fanservice and they gave us Corrin who nobody asked for and Bayonetta who I highly doubt she was even top 5 most voted in the world, especially since they used words like "realizable" when they were explaining how she won which was just kind of a cop out for a ton of characters that probably were "realizable" for this game (come on it would have been SO easy to make a moveset for Shovel Knight!) I can kinda believe she was ONE of the most voted characters in Europe from what Rock & Roller Wabbit Rock & Roller Wabbit said about the Bayo 2 sales in Europe, but I still doubt she was the #1 voted in Europe and even within top 5 worldwide. As much as I respect Sakurai for putting in so much work, I hope that if they make a Smash 5 it won't be directed by someone who is so biased and promises fanservice when they end up giving us a character like Corrin (not saying we didn't get any fanservice, in fact we got a ton of it, but it just doesn't feel right that one of the last 2 DLC characters we are getting is one almost nobody wanted).
I honestly believe that in the states this could have been the top 5:
(in no order)

Either goku, or freddy, John Cena, shrek, or whatever other memes were put in

A unlikely 3rd party. Probably Snake, with Konami that wasn't happening.

Banjo or K rool maybe. I only say this because support in more regular communites died down for the two after a month or so, which I think hurt their chances. Banjo may have also been negoiated but a deal fell short.

and I would also say inklings were up there, but would take way to long to implement the ink mechanic and other stuff from Splatoon to truly doing things right in sakurai's eyes( which I respect).

Wolf was maybe up there, but he assumed a shoe in for to long imo and that lowered his votes.

For Bayonnetta, her games sold decent, but the character as a whole was well known and liked, hell Nintendo used playboy to promote her. I'm positive that brought her into more people's minds for better or for worse. I also think a decent silent minority wanted her, and a lot of big smash youtubers like alpharad or GX wanted her, but found her unlikely, but still voted for her. For those reasons, I think she maintained an high popularity as crazy as it sounds, and was easy to negotiate for because of how good terms they were on with Sega and Platinum games.

Duck Hunt, Little Mac, Mega Man, Pac-Man and Ryu. That is such a small percentage of the total newcomers. All of the retro newcomers are pretty predictable inclusions, not as left-field as Corrin/Greninja/Dark Pit/Robin/WFT. I just wish some of the retro reps were unpredictable as well. They are all just main characters of popular retro franchises. I want some secondary characters as well. I'm not expecting you to combat this with an argument; I'm just voicing my opinion, and it's all just subjective at the end of the day.
Stop trolling.

Duck Hunt was not predictable. He came out of left field.
Everyone one here lost their minds when that happened.
Brawl had Pit and ROB
Melee had the Ice Climbers and Mr Game and Watch.
Sm4sh had Little Mac and Duck Hunt.

Retro reps appear. Most 3rd party characters are retro (you forgot to mention the top most requested character ever for smash: Sonic)

Banjo would be dumb for a multitude of reasons, but let's focus on what Sakurai said about cutting the ICs.

He said it is easier to cut characters who simply have no future whatsoever. (by now there are better retro reps than those two) Which means that there is more logic in representing series that are relevant over series that are dead or going nowhere.

This rule makes Cloud's inclusion seemingly impossible as Square and Nintendo don't play very nice. He has no future on nintendo (as far as we know).

Out of those you called 'out of left field'only two count: Pit and Corrin.
Pit because he was never part of a huge series.
Corrin because we all thought Fire Emblem had enough reps as is.

The rest all made sense. If you cared to pay attention to reveal trailers or the source material.

Play Duck Hunt if you want Banjo so much. They even have the color scheme for people like you xD

Bayonetta being nr 1 in europe makes more sense than any other character. Save Steve from Minecraft.

People here know about her even if they don't play her games. She's been inexplicably popular and has been marketed heavily since the first game over here.

top 5 may have looked like this:

1.Snake
2.Roy
3.Ice Climbers
4.Bayonetta
5.Wolf

In a scenario like this then the top feasible character would be Bayonetta and NOT Wolf. Roy and Lucas had a ton of demand in the first place so they came back. Out of the clone characters wolf was the LEAST wanted because fo already had falco.
Sure we got Lucina, but she's more a Marth clone than a Roy replacement and Ike simply isn't the same.
Lucas and Ness simply don't play alike. They may look similar but they are different. My brother mains Ness and he HATES Lucas. I love Lucas but can't play Ness for ****.

Snake was highly requested, but isn't feasible. (Konami issues)

Now this is assuming ALL other characters except bayo were veterans. This was NOT the case as Sakurai stated that in the top 5 there were even veterans. Not that there were only veterans besides her. let's throw in something interesting to give you some better ideas of what a top 5 might look like otherwise:

1.Snake
2.Roy
3.Simon Belmont
4.Ice Climbers
5.Bayonetta

1.Snake
2.Roy
3.Banjo & Kazooie
4.Ridley
5.Bayonetta

1.Snake
2.Roy
3.Steve (minecraft)
4.Rayman
5.Bayonetta

Once you start to realize that the ballot existed before roy was confirmed, you may start to accept the facts. I voted for Roy.

Don't forget 3rd party characters come at a cost: they require negotiation with companies and this may lead to a deal that Nintendo will not or can not take for one reason or other. if you keep that in mind it means that Bayonetta is indeed more feasible since the last Bayonetta became nintendo exclusive and was published by said company.
Sonic came to brawl at the cost of sega also getting the rights to use mario characters for Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games series.
He was that highly requested.

From the look of things with Cloud it seems Nintendo ended up paying a steep price: Cloud, Geno outfit, Chocobo hat, One stage, Two songs?

no remixes nada. It's as if Square had a tough time relinquishing control.

Characters I wanted that got in:
001: Mega Man
002: Waifu (Rosalina)
003: Little Mac
004: Greninja
005 Duck Hunt
006: Mewtwo

Characters I didn't know I wanted ;) that got in:
001: Ryu
002: Cloud
003: Waifu (Bayonetta)

I'd say I'm plenty satisfied with how this turned out.

Holy crap; we Europeans were actually listened to?

I'm gonna get crap for this, but I'm actually glad none of Smashboards designated shoe-ins won the ballot. Would of been a really boring outcome, especially if it was another veteran.

Bayonetta rocks. A character I never knew I wanted, but probably the most fun looking DLC character to play as thus far.

Just wished the only Nintendo newcomer was someone we'd seen and known of in the west.

Also despite ****ting all over the Geno fans for the past year, I'll admit when he showed up in Mii outfit form it warmed my heart a little. Great outfit, and I'll be purchasing it myself.

If only so I can beat him to a pulp with Toad Mii. >3 Nothing wrong with healthy rivalry.

Last edited:
I just think it's a really big disappointment. When I saw the opening scene of this direct, I started to get a little worried. I figured that it was probably just some character they were doing on the side, or something, and that the real characters would come after. Then the next half of the direct was taken up by boring mii costumes. Then, he said that they were about to show off the final newcomer.

At that point, I was already a bit worried, since I knew that Corrin was already taking up a spot. Then, the moment Bayonetta first came into the screen, my heart dropped. I have to say, that was one of the most devastating moments. To know that this was the final DLC. THESE characters would be the last ones. Another awful sword fighter and character that didn't even win the ballot.

To be honest, it was the ultimate anticlimax. That was probably the single most disappointing moment of 2015. I thought that the direct before was awful, but this... Wow. Nintendo never ceases to amaze me.

Sakurai saved the series with Brawl.
Melee was incredibly difficult to play for most of the reular crowd and even though we loved the character selection and some stages it just felt too fast.

Sakurai returned to the basics with brawl and improved on that with smash 4.

I hope the PM team never touched the actual game as it would turn Smash into a niche series and would slowly die out as the hardcore cry about the shrinking community.
Are you kidding me dude? Returned to the basics? Smash 64 had L cancelling at the very least, and is actually MORE combo oriented than melee.

He didn't return to anything, he slowed the game down, a lot even compared to smash 64, and he removed techniques for no reason other than to spite the competitive ssbm community that he hates so much.

Even worse, he added in mechanics that made the game unbelievably bad, like how air dodging works, that you automatically sweet spot, and tripping for the love of god. And it continues in smash 4 with the ledge trumping b.s and overall garbage gameplay.

If that's your definition of saving a game, I'd hate to know what your definition of ruining a game would be.

Sakurai is a ****, he hates smash players, and I hope he rots in hell for the abominations known as brawl and smash 4. I don't know how or why a series that started so strong (smash 64) was able to become this bad in the long run.

Are you kidding me dude? Returned to the basics? Smash 64 had L cancelling at the very least, and is actually MORE combo oriented than melee.

He didn't return to anything, he slowed the game down, a lot even compared to smash 64, and he removed techniques for no reason other than to spite the competitive ssbm community that he hates so much.

Even worse, he added in mechanics that made the game unbelievably bad, like how air dodging works, that you automatically sweet spot, and tripping for the love of god. And it continues in smash 4 with the ledge trumping b.s and overall garbage gameplay.

If that's your definition of saving a game, I'd hate to know what your definition of ruining a game would be.

Sakurai is a ****, he hates smash players, and I hope he rots in hell for the abominations known as brawl and smash 4. I don't know how or why a series that started so strong (smash 64) was able to become this bad in the long run.
Smash was supposed to be an all-star fighter for Nintendo characters.
It was his goal to make a fighter that is both accessible and deep.

L-cancelling was reduced in Melee (not instant lagless) and then eventually removed in Brawl, but replaced by autocancel (moves that should be L-cancellable got autocancelled and moves he deemed too strong wouldn't get this perk)

All he did was remove an arbitrary execution step. Would you have prefered he kept L-canceling in, but then made some moves not able to L-cancel? same principle, except he removed the execution barrier.

Contrary to the hardcore tourney players here, Sakurai adores the smash players. He dislikes the vocally loud minority of hardcore who demand all sorts of things that contradict the game design philosophy behind smash bros as a series.

Sakurai was a champion at street fighter 2 back in the day. He knows how to make a complex game. His decision has been not to do so since the start.

Please calm down, stop raging and accept the facts.

No amount of whining will ever make Sakurai make smash more complex. Ever. He doesn't want to and he should never have to. It would alienate the fanbase, even if it caters to the small vocal minority.

It would be like shooting yourself in the foot. Killing sales for no reason other than to feed people like you your ego out of feeling like "the best"when totally decimating opponents.

There is always MvC,SFV,Tekken,SC and any other number of complex fighters out there.

Smash is the only one for their fans.

I'm disappointed that we get one more fire emblem character over getting inklings who represent nintendos newest ip i mean you'd think he go for that

Last edited:
I'm disappointed that we get one more fire emblem character over getting inklings who represent nintendos newest ip i mean you'd think he go for that
As I said, there is a lot to do to truly do the inklings, and Sakurai would want to do them right, so he wouldn't rush them, which is probably why they weren't chosen. Calling it now, they will be the Villager or megaman of next smash though.

I agree. Inklings would have been nicer.
I suppose the fact that FE was about to end with Awakening and its future is still super vague at the moment.. (FE: Fates could be the last ever) may have influenced the choice.

Last edited:
As I said, there is a lot to do to truly do the inklings, and Sakurai would want to do them right, so he wouldn't rush them, which is probably why they weren't chosen. Calling it now, they will be the Villager or megaman of next smash though.
Villager probably.
Megaman is 3rd party and Nintendo doesn't decide what is done with him on their own.... maybe they should buy the rights to Megaman entirely.

Villager probably.
Megaman is 3rd party and Nintendo doesn't decide what is done with him on their own.... maybe they should buy the rights to Megaman entirely.
Yeah, I used both, because they were both really wanted haracters and generated a lot of hype and advertisement for the game early. And I would love Nintendo to but I don' capcom would sell.

SALT EVERYWHERE because people believed the fan stawpoll as the official, and ignored other regions

i actually had a prediction involving salty scenes, and my entire bingo card won the whole thing down to the exact release of the ballot winner

SALT EVERYWHERE because people believed the fan stawpoll as the official, and ignored other regions

i actually had a prediction involving salty scenes, and my entire bingo card won the whole thing down to the exact release of the ballot winner
hahaha I know right!

I knew for a fact that King K Rool and Wolf were nowhere near as popular as the internet scene made them out to be.

Double for shovel knight and shantae, even though I would die to have shantae in smash.

The series or characters of said series are too obscure or simply or relevant at this time.

Imagine Samurai Goroh playable or Jodie Summers from F-Zero. Maybe I should act salty about their exclusion and talk about how the poll I made with my buddies at school had them as the top 2.

Corrin's a cool addition because it's pretty much a lance using dragon knight. I don't get how people can call this generic. It's probably just the salt talking but I imagine it'll end up becoming one of the better liked newcomers in the end.
Don't forget that he/she also has a chainsaw sword :p

At that point, I was already a bit worried, since I knew that Corrin was already taking up a spot.
Oh my god. It's 2015, and people still believe that there are "spots"?
All right, let's clear this up. There aren't spots. All of Smash's characters are determined from the start. This means that Duck Hunt, Palutena, Pac-Man, and so many more were chosen to begin with. They weren't proposed during development. Even DLC characters were planned. Minus Bayonetta, of course. And besides Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina, as they were originally skins.

And before you mention the whole "Sakurai said that DLC wasn't on the game disc last year though" thing, let me pull this quote:

“At the current time we have no plans. I consider my job at this point, and my main responsibility, to make the Wii U and 3DS versions the best and the fullest experience possible. That said, once finished, it’s the type of thing we could take into consideration, but for now, you could consider DLC as not being in the cards.”

hahaha I know right!

I knew for a fact that King K Rool and Wolf were nowhere near as popular as the internet scene made them out to be.

Double for shovel knight and shantae, even though I would die to have shantae in smash.

The series or characters of said series are too obscure or simply or relevant at this time.

Imagine Samurai Goroh playable or Jodie Summers from F-Zero. Maybe I should act salty about their exclusion and talk about how the poll I made with my buddies at school had them as the top 2.
Uh, bro, are we living on the same ****ing planet? K. Rool and Wolf ****ing blew away the competition.

Uh, bro, are we living on the same ****ing planet? K. Rool and Wolf ****ing blew away the competition.
As I stated, Wolf was meaningless. He wasn't unique and he was voted to late into the ballot. K rool, lost his shine after the first two months, but People still hoped. It mostly the same people. voting over and over. I honestly think that K rool, did stay high, but I think, Sakurai saw K rool as to irrelevant, as he recently stated relevancy plays a big factor in choosing characters. However I do think seeing the support for him, Nnintendo will consider adding him to a new DK game, which would lead to him in Smash eventually.

As I stated, Wolf was meaningless. He wasn't unique and he was voted to late into the ballot. K rool, lost his shine after the first two months, but People still hoped. It mostly the same people. voting over and over. I honestly think that K rool, did stay high, but I think, Sakurai saw K rool as to irrelevant, as he recently stated relevancy plays a big factor in choosing characters. However I do think seeing the support for him, Nnintendo will consider adding him to a new DK game, which would lead to him in Smash eventually.
I wouldn't vote on it.

retro studios revived the DKC series without a hint of K Rool.

Xandercosm Xandercosm
K Rool blew nothing away. That was just some random fan polls where probably multiple of those had the same people voting over and over again.

If you have proof that K Rool won the official Ballot or blew anything other than an empty fart, please show me. Also teach me how to hack into nintendo's intranet as that could be mighty useful.

I wouldn't vote on it.

retro studios revived the DKC series without a hint of K Rool.

Xandercosm Xandercosm
K Rool blew nothing away. That was just some random fan polls where probably multiple of those had the same people voting over and over again.

If you have proof that K Rool won the official Ballot or blew anything other than an empty fart, please show me. Also teach me how to hack into nintendo's intranet as that could be mighty useful.
True, but it could still happen, as nothing really prevents the return of him.

Top Bottom