• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Final Video Presentation Recap

What was your favorite part of the direct?

• Cloud and Midgar Stage Information

Votes: 95 12.9%
  • New Mii Costumes

Votes: 32 4.4%
  • Corrin Chooses To Smash

Votes: 184 25.0%
  • Bayonetta Gets Wicked! And New Umbra Clock Tower Stage

Votes: 424 57.7%

• Total voters
As Sakurai set to close the curtains on Smash 4, our excitements could not be contained. Whistles blew on hype trains across the world as Smash fans settled in for what was to be the final video presentation for Smash 4. We got many amazing announcement that are sure to entice. For those who have yet to watch the direct this is the final warning before we get to spoilers, so turn around now or learn what Smash 4 still has in store!

---​

Corrin, the main character from from Fire Emblem: Fates is coming to Smash! Corrin will have a male and female version of the character similar to Robin or Wii Fit Trainer. As "dragon blood runs through his veins" some of his moves will involve partial transformation. If Corrin is purchased for the Wii U version, two free songs will be included on the the Fire Emblem stages in the games from Fire Emblem Fates. Two special trophies for Fire Emblem Fates have also been added to Smash 3DS. Corrin has a hopeful release in February 2016 and is expected to cost $4.99 for the character.

Corrin Chooses To Smash!

Many details on Cloud's gameplay were explained during the presentation including the mechanics of his Limit Gauge as well as how the new stage Midgar would use 'summons' like Ifrit, Ramuh, Odin, and more! Cloud and his new stage Midgar will be coming to Smash 4 for download later today! They can be bought as a bundle for $5.99.

New Mii Costumes!

While many expected the Chocobo Mi hat after the Cloud's announcement, another character with strong ties to Square Enix and Nintendo also made his way into Smash as a costume: Super Mario RPG's Geno! This wasn't the end either as many more costumes were announced such as:
  • Knuckles (Sonic) - Mii Brawler Costume
  • Tails (Sonic) - Mii Gunner Costume
  • Bionic - Brawler
  • Ashley (Wario Ware Inc. Mega Microgame$)- Swordfighter
  • Gil - (The Tower Of Druaga) Swordfighter
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) - Swordfighter

Bayonetta comes to Smash! She was the winner of the Smash Ballot in Europe, within the top 5 in America, and was the most "realizable fighter" within the ballot. Umbra Clock Tower will be coming as Bayonetta's stage with it's own unique music as well as special trophies form the game. February 2016 is also the targeted release date for Bayonetta. All characters announced today will also have amiibos made for them as well.

Bayonetta Gets Wicked!

The full presentation with more details can be viewed here. Feel the hype Smash fans? Is that pure energy unable to be contained? Jump into the comments section below and tell us what was the best part of this direct and as always stay tuned to Smashboards for the finest in Smash news coverage

Last edited:

Comments

I never thought I would say this, but the Duck Hunt main is right on all accounts.

You know we managed to accomplish something REAL big when we are now being labeled as worse as the FNAF and Minecraft fanbases. But it's to be expected when the fanbase was getting heavily divided since the controversial, casual-oriented Brawl came along.
Pinning the blame on Brawl, are we? nice... real nice...

Actually we cannot spam Witch Time... the video showed that if you do, Witch Time gets more and more weaker... so moderation is the key.
if it works in short periods in quick succession it'll be enough opening for me.

still enough delay for a quick smash

Nope, just saying the all this fan division (especially between casual and hardcore fans) started since Brawl. The more common examples are how people accused Sakurai of Kirby/Mario bias and people considered Brawl's physics the worst thing that ever happened. Don't believe me? Then take a look at this wonderful link that provides an example of the many things that broken the base on the same scale as the Sonic fandom. Unsurprisingly, Brawl and Smash 4 has a lot of examples.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/BrokenBase/SuperSmashBros

And don't you accuse me of being a hater dearie since I'm just a fan that likes every Smash title regardless of its flaws. Even I thought the hate towards it was pretty undeserved when Sakurai wanted to attract a wider audience.

Last edited:
I don't think that is what he meant, but you can't lie that Brawl did cause a huge split in the community. I was not a part of the smash community until Smash 4 came out, but from a lot of what I have seen and heard it seems like even though there was a split between the Smash community, things seem to have gotten even worse ever since Smash 4 came out. I notice a lot more people complaining about things in Smash 4 compared to every other Smash game, and it might be because this game gets patches, DLC, and the online play is MUCH better compared to Brawl. It seems like when Smash 4 came out the community grew a lot in the amount of people in it, but it also seems that the amount of people complaining has also increased by a lot since this game came out. Then again, I joined the community when Smash 4 came out so I might not know what I am talking about.

Somewhat, but better off as a costume now.
Hey.. I wanted Saki Amamiya playable. Mac got upgraded and Sakurai even stated about Saki "doesnt it make you want to play him" on the brawl update site when he was revealed.

Lyndis was my favorite FE character. Her chances of being playable are slim to none as well :/

I don't think that is what he meant, but you can't lie that Brawl did cause a huge split in the community. I was not a part of the smash community until Smash 4 came out, but from a lot of what I have seen and heard it seems like even though there was a split between the Smash community, things seem to have gotten even worse ever since Smash 4 came out. I notice a lot more people complaining about things in Smash 4 compared to every other Smash game, and it might be because this game gets patches, DLC, and the online play is MUCH better compared to Brawl. It seems like when Smash 4 came out the community grew a lot in the amount of people in it, but it also seems that the amount of people complaining has also increased by a lot since this game came out. Then again, I joined the community when Smash 4 came out so I might not know what I am talking about.
Thanks, mate. This is exactly what I was talking about. But it appears that at least some people are too steamy in the head to even think straight and read between the lines.

the community split because the hardcore refused to acknowledge that the grand majority of players are not hardcore tourney goers.
Most people cared about having fun, playing on nice stages and having cool characters and items.
The other minority hated the heck out of brawl and cared only for melee.

When Smash 4 was announced the meleers were clinging to PM and they still claim to this day that PM is better than Smash 4. Better as in: better balance and better designed.

I hate to sound negative, but isn't it a little arrogant to shout that a fanmade game is objectively better balanced than the official game? especially when the official game is being balanced keeping everything in mind, from 1v1 to 4 player free for alls.
PM focuses only on the current meta and high lvl play, which means the game would feel very off to a regular player.

Either way: this split is a divide between those who grew up playing melee competitively vs those who grew up playing smash 64/melee/brawl as a game they shared with their friends and/or family.
A game they played for fun.
A game that is both pick-up and play with amazing depth that celebrates gaming as a whole.

I just watched a video in which someone was hoping for melee HD. What? That is literally dumb. VC release maybe, but an HD remake? not going to happen. I makes no sense for the company to do so and most fans of the series wouldn't care enough.

The thing is the Internet was a lot more sociable around Brawl's time than it was in the previous two. So it did set the stage with the fan division. And Smash 4 danced upon the split as we see it now.

Last edited:
To add on to my previous post about the Smash community and complaining, is that in this game we kind of were given a sense that we were a major influence on what characters get in and balance patches, but we really were not as much of an influence as Nintendo/Sakurai made us feel like we were. Seeing something in the game that many people didn't ask for made many of us feel betrayed and like Sakurai was not listening to us. It does kinda suck that a lot of the DLC characters were probably put in to promote other games, but does that necessarily make it a bad thing? I just wish that they didn't make it seem so much like characters would be put in as fanservice, when it most likely was not the case for most newcomers when the game first came out and with the DLC characters.

The thing is the Internet was a lot more sociable around Brawl's time than it was in the previous two. So it did set the stage with the fan division. And Smash 4 danced upon the split as we see it now.
I don't really know what you mean by that.

It isn't like people didn't complain about that either. When I found out about Rosalina and Bowser Jr. I saw a lot of people saying that there were too many Mario characters, and IMO the Mario series has a lot of characters that could be cool in Smash *cough* Geno *cough*. Same thing with Pokemon, but I never really thought there were too many when there were 5, and a **** ton of people wanted Mewtwo back. The only reason Zelda has 5 representatives is because Zelda and Sheik are separate characters now. The problem with the FE representatives is that we have 2 Marth clones, 2 FE:Awakening characters, and now a FE character that is really only in the game to promote FE: Fates (I really can't see any other reason considering I have never seen ANYONE ask for Corrin).
fair enough, i suppose. It's just something that gets kind of annoying to hear so many times though and starts to sound kind of whiny.
you are right in a few ways though, like with Lucina. she has no reason to be a separate fighter now that Roy is back and infinitely better than her. i wish that were not true since Lucina is one of my fav Awkaneing characters, but so it is.
really the way things should have panned out is Lucina should have just been a simple alternate skin of Marth like Alph and Olimar. Robin should have been the sole Awakening rep instead. Corrin is someone who i do agree really shouldn't have been a prime choice, since Fates isn't even out till next year. personally the only thing slightly redeeming to me about Corrin is the chainsaw sword and the dragon shapeshifting, but yeah. someone else probably should have gotten his spot.

To add on to my previous post about the Smash community and complaining, is that in this game we kind of were given a sense that we were a major influence on what characters get in and balance patches, but we really were not as much of an influence as Nintendo/Sakurai made us feel like we were. Seeing something in the game that many people didn't ask for made many of us feel betrayed and like Sakurai was not listening to us. It does kinda suck that a lot of the DLC characters were probably put in to promote other games, but does that necessarily make it a bad thing? I just wish that they didn't make it seem so much like characters would be put in as fanservice, when it most likely was not the case for most newcomers when the game first came out and with the DLC characters.

undeniably cloud and bayonetta are fanservice.

there is no way around it.

When sakurai once tweeted he was playing bayonetta 2 everyone attacked him asking if she would be in smash. He said no and that just because he is playing a game doesn't mean a character is making it in.

this was early development of smash 4.

Bayonetta matches 0 criteria for getting in and Cloud is blatant promotion for the competitor since FF7 remake is not going to touch a nintendo system as far as we know.

If those are not fanservice idk what constitutes as such.

Corrin is the only outlier, for the people who aren't FE fans. Anyone who plays FE views Corring as fanservice due to representing another side of the franchise, but arguably this is a bit weaker because Corrin does not apply to the community as a whole like the other two do.

The real question is: what other deals didn't work out between Nintendo and other companies?

fair enough, i suppose. It's just something that gets kind of annoying to hear so many times though and starts to sound kind of whiny.
you are right in a few ways though, like with Lucina. she has no reason to be a separate fighter now that Roy is back and infinitely better than her. i wish that were not true since Lucina is one of my fav Awkaneing characters, but so it is.
really the way things should have panned out is Lucina should have just been a simple alternate skin of Marth like Alph and Olimar. Robin should have been the sole Awakening rep instead. Corrin is someone who i do agree really shouldn't have been a prime choice, since Fates isn't even out till next year. personally the only thing slightly redeeming to me about Corrin is the chainsaw sword and the dragon shapeshifting, but yeah. someone else probably should have gotten his spot.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

Sakurai: Yes, that was the case. For example, if Awakening was released six months later, Robin may not have made it in, and if it was six months early, they might not have even been considered.

Interviewer: Was Lucina in a similar situation?

Sakurai: Yes, that applies to Lucina as well. How much a character will please the players, how unique they are—there are a lot of factors that go into deciding a character’s inclusion. I don’t know whether Fire Emblem will have many more games in the future, but it’s not as if we have a stipulation that says “we have to include the protagonist of the next Fire Emblem game.” Moreover, we don’t even know if there’ll be another Smash game.

Online interactions during SSB and Melee eras was limited. So complaints and the division wasn't as obvious or barely existed at all. Around the time for transitioning to Brawl, its a lot more easier to be outspoken and the division was becoming more clear before and after its release. And it only got worse with this generation.

It's just like real-life; no more DuckTales, no more Saturday morning cartoons, it's all about your reality shows now.
Okay this last part has to be a joke. Cartoons are as popular as ever, if not more these days. But, this is off topic.

Last edited:
Hopefully by the time the next Smash comes around, if it does come, the roster is more balanced in terms of what series get characters.

GOD, unless by then MORE NEW characters appear and we get YET another SM4SH situation with its characters...

You know, despite not wanting Corrin or Bayonetta, they both look really fun to play. Can't wait for their release.

Hopefully by the time the next Smash comes around, if it does come, the roster is more balanced in terms of what series get characters.

GOD, unless by then MORE NEW characters appear and we get YET another SM4SH situation with its characters...
Expect two things in the maybe newer one: Swordsmen and FE characters. More likely both if we get another game around that time.

DANG IT.

Sakurai should just direct a Fire Emblem before that in that case to get it out of his system if we go by that...

Oh, I am 90% positive Takamaru will get in SSB5.
If you follow the way sakurai fell in love with Pit doing Brawl, it mirrors the way he fell in love with Takamaru in Smash 4.

If anything he may do a revival of The Mysterious Murasame Castle.

Reboot it for the NX and then BOOM.

He will be in the new smash with a dark takamaru outfit (possibly extra character)

Takamaru looks to be the next Pit in a way, so there's that. At first people will be glad to have him after missing SM4SH but then once TAKAMARUTENA AND DARK TAKAMARU join in, people will go crazy...

:dazwa:

With this huge outcry Smash 5 seems inevitable now TBH...

Plus I'm now willing to bet Nintendo is going to be forced to apologize again like that one E3... Which is sad considering I do and still love Smash 4 better than all the other games. The DLC doesn't make it any less inferior to me, even if Corrin and Cloud are some of the worst possible choices IMO.

None of the above as far as the poll goes. If I were Sakurai's boss I'd only have this to tell him after the way he's handled this game ESPECIALLY the smash ballot. SAKURAI..

That is all.

However I use the word "fighters" for a reason.

Bayonetta is fine and a deserving winner of the ballot. She looks like she was ripped right out of her games. Looks very fun to play (but I wonder if she'll be a bit OP in 1v1).

Corrin though...the game just isn't out internationally and it's not like Lucas where people begged for his game to come out internationally, showing a clear love for the character. Corrin isn't beloved or an all-star of any description at the current time.

I think this is another case of what I felt when Greninja was revealed - the timing is awful. If Corrin was announced in a standard Nintendo Direct or in the same manner Robin was, I would be fine with it.

Instead, Corrin, a fairly bog standard anime swordsman looking character who is barely known yet, was the follow-up to Cloud, literally one of the most iconic gaming characters out there and THE anime swordsman to boot.

Cloud and Corrin should have had their reveals switched.
Although I do agree with them being swapped I believe that the reason why cloud was showed first was because cloud was a more finished fighter at the time considering that we are able to buy cloud much earlier then corin.

For all those who are salty becaues there fighter did'get in. I can safely say that I voted for Roy a week before he was leaked\revealed and that my reaction was "well...... I guess that means I.... Win..? Sure, why not!" :p

I can't believe people would have rather had Wolf, a boring semiclone, instead of Bayonetta. I agree with Corrin being an awful choice since almost nobody wanted another Fire Emblem swordsman, but Bayonetta was an amazing character choice. Her moves look really flashy and stylish, and I really like the details that were given to her like the butterflies and rose petals. I didn't vote for her or think she had a chance, but I still welcome her with open arms and am happy with her reveal.

as for the complaints about another FE character, Mario has 8 reps, Pokemon about 6 by now, Zelda five. FE inst the only game series to be super over represented in this game.
What you and other people making this argument need to understand is that Mario, Pokémon and Zelda are all three of Nintendo's biggest and most iconic franchises, so they can get away with having many reps. Fire Emblem is niche outside of Japan and doesn't deserve the number of reps it has now.

Nope, just saying the all this fan division (especially between casual and hardcore fans) started since Brawl. The more common examples are how people accused Sakurai of Kirby/Mario bias and people considered Brawl's physics the worst thing that ever happened. Don't believe me? Then take a look at this wonderful link that provides an example of the many things that broken the base on the same scale as the Sonic fandom. Unsurprisingly, Brawl and Smash 4 has a lot of examples.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/BrokenBase/SuperSmashBros

And don't you accuse me of being a hater dearie since I'm just a fan that likes every Smash title regardless of its flaws. Even I thought the hate towards it was pretty undeserved when Sakurai wanted to attract a wider audience.
I was mostly joking. No need to get so angry. Everyone knows that Brawl caused serious issues in the community.

If you follow the way sakurai fell in love with Pit doing Brawl, it mirrors the way he fell in love with Takamaru in Smash 4.

If anything he may do a revival of The Mysterious Murasame Castle.

Reboot it for the NX and then BOOM.

He will be in the new smash with a dark takamaru outfit (possibly extra character)
FUN FACT: Sakurai must have fell in love with Pit sometime earlier, even during Melee. Pit's trophy description's last line was approximately "Will he ever fight again?" so Sakurai plainly was thinking about adding him in that time period.

With this huge outcry Smash 5 seems inevitable now TBH...

Plus I'm now willing to bet Nintendo is going to be forced to apologize again like that one E3... Which is sad considering I do and still love Smash 4 better than all the other games. The DLC doesn't make it any less inferior to me, even if Corrin and Cloud are some of the worst possible choices IMO.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

Sakurai: Yes, that was the case. For example, if Awakening was released six months later, Robin may not have made it in, and if it was six months early, they might not have even been considered.

Interviewer: Was Lucina in a similar situation?

Sakurai: Yes, that applies to Lucina as well. How much a character will please the players, how unique they are—there are a lot of factors that go into deciding a character’s inclusion. I don’t know whether Fire Emblem will have many more games in the future, but it’s not as if we have a stipulation that says “we have to include the protagonist of the next Fire Emblem game.” Moreover, we don’t even know if there’ll be another Smash game.
....You know.... That actually explains Corrin.
(S)He was meant to replace Robin/Robyn for 5ma5h, but since the future is unclear for the franchise, they did this early. I actually like Avatar characters in smash, it's really cool.

Last edited:
Try to avoid going into Melee vs SSB4 if you can... Also, I seriously doubt this is the end of Smash because the franchise is simply just too big of a deal to let go. With DLC, two versions, and the Amiibos, this is by far the most profitable Smash and they were able to keep the fanbase engaged for almost a whopping three years with it. Some people are upset about it but I feel like there's signs of more to come years down the road like how the Inklings were not playable DLC.
You forgot the GOTY edition with all DLC in a single disk nintendo will release at the NX's launch

;)

Top Bottom