• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

smash 4 feels slow, like sf iv vanilla slow

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
I like the way the game feels, doesn't feel slow at all in my opinion.
Maybe it's because I didn't play smash for a year or more but I remember back when brawl was here. After playing hours of melee and then switching to brawl, the game felt like slow motion. However I don't feel this game is like that.

rocksgo

Smash Rookie
I think it reached a nice balance between meelee speed and brawl speed. That's the best it ever got in my opinion -- fast does not equal good. Maybe crayzier to watch, but not necessarily more fun to play. Maybe the competitive scenario for this game won't be as big as meelee's for that reason, but personally I couldn't care less.

Also, I find it unfair to compare smash speed to the usual fighting game genre's speed, since smash also has plataforming elements in it.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
They claimed they wanted to reach a speed in between Melee and Brawl, and I actually feel like they did it. It isn't as slow and floaty as Brawl, but also not as fast and heavy as Melee. I think they found a great and comfortable midpoint and I'm enjoying it.

Last edited:

sssetz

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4940-5964-6193
I think the speed is perfect. Never had a problem with Melee or Brawl and so far even the demo feels leaps above both in just smooth, fast paced smashin!

Defeatthefall

Smash Rookie
I like the way the game feels, doesn't feel slow at all in my opinion.
Maybe it's because I didn't play smash for a year or more but I remember back when brawl was here. After playing hours of melee and then switching to brawl, the game felt like slow motion. However I don't feel this game is like that.
Yeah this game feels like slow motion to me :( but it's not a bad game, just not enjoyable in an intense match, matches feel dull, I'm just not feeling hype or satisfaction. :( I want to like the Game

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah this game feels like slow motion to me :( but it's not a bad game, just not enjoyable in an intense match, matches feel dull, I'm just not feeling hype or satisfaction. :( I want to like the Game
Take a break from smash (all of them) for a couple of days or a week and then come back to it. When you mix it up with other games it tends to do that sometimes. Treat it like a new fresh experience, don't expect it to be like previous titles (it's simply not)

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
They claimed they wanted to reach a speed in between Melee and Brawl, and I actually feel like they did it. It isn't as slow and floaty as Brawl, but also not as fast and heavy as Melee. I think they found a great and comfortable midpoint and I'm enjoying it.
Perfectly said. I'm really happy with where the game is now and I personally see a lot of my smash time being dedicated to this game more than the others.

Last edited:

Defeatthefall

Smash Rookie
I think it reached a nice balance between meelee speed and brawl speed. That's the best it ever got in my opinion -- fast does not equal good. Maybe crayzier to watch, but not necessarily more fun to play. Maybe the competitive scenario for this game won't be as big as meelee's for that reason, but personally I couldn't care less.

Also, I find it unfair to compare smash speed to the usual fighting game genre's speed, since smash also has plataforming elements in it.
I'm not comparing it lol, smash isn't comparable to any other game, I was just meaning in a sense of the level at which I was let down, street fighter iv is a terrible terrible game but notice I said smash 4 is good, just not adrenaline pumping at its current speed

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
People have different tastes.
You can't make someone like Smash 4, and pretending that it is perfect is a bad way to go about things.

Last edited:

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
Personally I think that speed=better, more exciting Smash is a bit of a fallacy.

That being said, I'm glad it's not any slower. I enjoy the speed it's at.

Defeatthefall

Smash Rookie
You can't make someone like Smash 4, and pretending that it is perfect is a bad way to go about things.
Well said,I just don't want the "it's new" goggles on. Just trying to see if anyone else felt the same way

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I'm not comparing it lol, smash isn't comparable to any other game, I was just meaning in a sense of the level at which I was let down, street fighter iv is a terrible terrible game but notice I said smash 4 is good, just not adrenaline pumping at its current speed
Street Fighter IV is far from a terrible game. It's actually pretty brilliant (seeing as SF is the best traditional fighter). Perhaps you'd like to play Street Fighter II: The World Warrior's edition on SNES or worst yet Sega Genesis to see what slow is?? :rotfl:

At any rate, if it's faster than Brawl and has the most balanced mechanics...... it doesn't get any more fun and addicting than that. The game isn't floaty. There's no tripping and it has the best roster with the bodies of Nana & Popo frozen in ice until further notice. My hype has been extreme. then it died down after the leak, but after the JP release and seeing streams of online matches it seems my hype has been higher than it ever was.

So close. I'm not teary, but my eyes feel tingly just ready for it.

Cpt.

Smash Lord

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
Smash 4 certainly isn't perfect. But I honestly don't think the game's speed is an issue at all. I've played the demo a ton and watched many, many matches, and I've never felt that this game is slow. Run speed is fast. Fast-falling is VERY fast. Even the slower characters can move in and out of attack range with ease. In fact, I'd say the speed of Smash 4 is one of my overall favorite things about it, that and the fact that it seems fairly well-balanced for such a large and diverse cast.

Of course you're allowed to have your own opinion, but I really don't see how anyone could think Smash 4 is slow.

Looking at this, the speed is pretty slow compared to Melee and PM, but it doesn't look too slow like Brawl. I think it's moslty the characters. Greninja looks like a PM character, but Rosalina looks more like Brawl.
And characters SHOULD be diverse... not everyone needs to be the Melee-style combo monster. Still, even in someone like Rosalina's case, I don't feel that she's slower than she should be, just slower than others on the roster. Which is fine.

Last edited:

Defeatthefall

Smash Rookie
Street Fighter IV is far from a terrible game. It's actually pretty brilliant (seeing as SF is the best traditional fighter). Perhaps you'd like to play Street Fighter II: The World Warrior's edition on SNES or worst yet Sega Genesis to see what slow is?? :rotfl:

At any rate, if it's faster than Brawl and has the most balanced mechanics...... it doesn't get any more fun and addicting than that. The game isn't floaty. There's no tripping and it has the best roster with the bodies of Nana & Popo frozen in ice until further notice. My hype has been extreme. then it died down after the leak, but after the JP release and seeing streams of online matches it seems my hype has been higher than it ever was.

So close. I'm not teary, but my eyes feel tingly just ready for it.
im glad your happy! :) street fighter iv vanilla Is terrible compared to third strike, just was a step backwards, and just so you know, I think sf ii is terrible as well

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
And characters SHOULD be diverse... not everyone needs to be the Melee-style combo monster. Still, even in someone like Rosalina's case, I don't feel that she's slower than she should be, just slower than others on the roster. Which is fine.
I agree. A good mix of character play styles is what makes Smash a good game. I just hope that the differences between attack speeds on characters aren't too different or we could end up getting another Meta Knight. It doesn't look this way so far though, so that is good. As of now I can only judge from what I've seen.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
From one Sheik player to another, what in the.....

Little Mac and Sheik are fast in Smash 4. I wouldn't want the game any faster. Animations, movesets and technique + mindgames make for a more fun experience. Not hectic Melee speed (which is still fun) that you can't take in visually to enjoy.

To each their

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
From one Sheik player to another, what in the.....

Little Mac and Sheik are fast in Smash 4. I wouldn't want the game any faster. Animations, movesets and technique + mindgames make for a more fun experience. Not hectic Melee speed (which is still fun) that you can't take in visually to enjoy.

To each their
own...? ^^;

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
I agree. A good mix of character play styles is what makes Smash a good game. I just hope that the differences between attack speeds on characters aren't too different or we could end up getting another Meta Knight. It doesn't look this way so far though, so that is good. As of now I can only judge from what I've seen.
I know what you mean, and I agree that it doesn't appear that way. They really seem to have achieved a level of balance in this diverse cast that I didn't think was possible; not perfect balance of course, there's no such thing, but very good balance nonetheless. I've watched fast characters overwhelm slower characters, and I've watched those same slower characters use the tools at their disposal to shut down the speedsters. Seems very dependent on player skill, as it should be.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
This is an important point.

This all really just comes down to personal preference. There's going to be people who believe it's too slow, too fast, just right, or whatever. I don't think game makers can truly please everyone as we all have such different tastes and that's perfectly fine.
For example, some people enjoy Brawl more than Melee. It's obviously not most accepted idea, but I know some of my friends do and I'm sure theres people here on this site that do as well.

I'm not competitive with smash, although I do love watching competitions. I just truly enjoy the games.

There's no such thing as a perfect game to me. I just like taking each game for what it is.

Last edited:

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Looking at this, the speed is pretty slow compared to Melee and PM, but it doesn't look too slow like Brawl. I think it's moslty the characters. Greninja looks like a PM character, but Rosalina looks more like Brawl.
I don't think it'll ever reach Melee speed again. Personally I'm glad, as I like the speed that it is currently at.

Last edited:

Defeatthefall

Smash Rookie
Thanks to everyone who commented, the game has a great cast of characters and going to give it a fair shot once it's out

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I played Melee recently to test a copy I was selling and man I forgot the pace that game had. It was really a great engine. In comparison 4 is more of a successor to Brawl than to Melee. I can tell that just by the demo. Tremendous lag on moves, tons of lag in general, it really lacks pace. I'll still buy both versions and love them though. It's Smash.

Renji64

Smash Lord
You asking the wrong place this is brawlboards. The speed isn't too slow it could be a bit faster but at least it is alot faster than brawl.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
SSB4 feels IMO more to the fine-tuned sided than trying to be either "fast" or "slow".

The game feels just great and responsive to play, no matter what. No more input lag or relying on "shadowy" hitboxes.

Why everyone complains about the game's speed over it's playablity is beyond me. Brawl was a mess IMO due how laggy it felt even for movement and approaching. Melee again can get too fast and difficult to get into in higher play.

But in SSB4 I can just go instantly all out on opponents and still keep the momentum going due the increases ground speed making it easier to approach and follow the opponent -and while the air combat might feel still laggy but the new ground speed complements well to it by letting us string or chase better to off-stage or with new attacks.

I think the only downside is the defensive options feelings till rather OP at times, now that dodges seem even more powerful than before.

Last edited:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
My question to you is "are you basing this off of you vs a cpu or you vs another player?" When you play against another person the speed picks up in my opinion. Even from a demo prospective since I play my brother and friends often. Watching tournament game play you'll see the game is quite fast. Then again I'm not sure what you are basing it off.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
Smash 4 certainly isn't perfect. But I honestly don't think the game's speed is an issue at all. I've played the demo a ton and watched many, many matches, and I've never felt that this game is slow. Run speed is fast. Fast-falling is VERY fast. Even the slower characters can move in and out of attack range with ease. In fact, I'd say the speed of Smash 4 is one of my overall favorite things about it, that and the fact that it seems fairly well-balanced for such a large and diverse cast.

Of course you're allowed to have your own opinion, but I really don't see how anyone could think Smash 4 is slow.

OP might be playing against bots, which can make matches slow. I know I'm bored of them.

Top Bottom