• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4: Air Speed Rankings and Values [NOW WITH RAW/REAL VALUES]

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
F23 might be a variable that determines how quickly a character can change direction in midair. Mega Man and Wario have the highest values for that variable, so that's my guess.

Last edited:
Okay so the OP has been updated with a table containing the raw values Toomai mined. I also added a condensed list that forgoes text and values and just has the character icons in their proper orders, for people who just want to get an idea of their character's comparative air speed.

I'm actually quite (pleasantly) surprised with how relatively close my list was to the real values. The only big discrepancies are Dr. Mario (I placed him too low), Peach (I placed her too high), and Mr. Game & Watch (I also placed him a bit high). Aside from that though top 5 and bottom 13 were in the right order! Woooo

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I don't know what F23 is, but it's related to horizontal airspeed somehow because it's one of the hooks for Glider/Antiglide equipment.
I think I've figured out what "F23" is.

Basically, it's the degree to which characters continue their momentum once you've let go of the control stick, or natural resistance against momentum. The higher the value is, the more quickly a character will decelerate in the air without any additional input.

Here's my reasoning:

Mega Man has the highest F23 value of the normal characters. As anyone who uses Mega Man knows, if you stop holding a direction in the air, Mega Man will immediately fall straight down. It mimics how his character feels in his source games.

The next highest values are Wario, Jigglypuff, and Ness. All of them exhibit similar properties of dropping straight down upon release of the control stick in the air, though they're not quite as extreme as Mega Man.

At the total end of the other list are Marth and Lucina, who have by far the lowest values when it comes to "F23." When you jump forward with them and let go of the control stick, they keep traveling much further along.

Next lowest is Link, who doesn't travel that much further but doesn't have great horizontal air speed anyway. The key is that his jump still makes a clear arc. Mii Sword Fighter acts similarly.

With Lucario and Yoshi (who are next lowest in "F23"), the difference starts to become really visible again, especially with Yoshi. Yoshi has the highest air speed in the game, and one of the lowest "F23" values in the game. When you jump forward and immediately let go of the control stick, he still manages to travel half the distance of Final Destination.

Marth, who has considerably lower air speed but the absolute lowest F23 value, goes almost half the distance of Final Destination. Jigglypuff, who is almost as fast as Yoshi in the air, drops like a brick before even reaching 1/4 of FD.

Now take a look at Wario Man and do the same "jump forward, let go" test. Despite having absurd horizontal mobility, he stops moving forward and falls straight down almost immediately.

Altogether, I think this shows that F23 is indeed "natural resistance against momentum."

Last edited:

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
The characters with "???" as their names in the chart are most likely the Fighting Mii Team enemies. They seem to share similar stats with the playable character variations.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Dr. Mario is fast in the air? This could be huge.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
There are probably other modifiers that affect Dr. Mario only.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
That makes the most sense.
I think the big difference is that, while Mario and Dr. Mario have the exact same air speed values, the jumps themselves are different. If you just run off stage with both characters, they'll move the exact same way, but when you factor in jumps, Mario travels both further and more quickly.

Toomai

Smash Ace
I think I've figured out what "F23" is.

Basically, it's the degree to which characters continue their momentum once you've let go of the control stick, or natural resistance against momentum. The higher the value is, the more quickly a character will decelerate in the air without any additional input.
Okay, so horizontal aerial friction.
The characters with "???" as their names in the chart are most likely the Fighting Mii Team enemies. They seem to share similar stats with the playable character variations.
I hope I picked the right set to call the playable ones then.
There are probably other modifiers that affect Dr. Mario only.
Given how all his moveset damage is multiplied by 1.12, this is probably unfortunately the case.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
The playable ones were labeled correctly.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I like how :4gaw: blatantly has the best air deceleration in the game at .07. I think the next best is .05?

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Hello.

ID|Char|Air Accel?|Air Deccel?|Airspeed|F23|Gravity?|Fall Speed?|Vert Friction?|Fastfall Speed?

52|Wario-Man|0.3|0.04|1.69|0.08|0.1071|2.2|0.006|3.08
53|Giga Mac| 0.04 |0.01| 1.7|0.015|0.12|2.2|0.0075|3.52

I died reading that part. Giga Mac is faster than Wario-Man in the air, but doesn't look like he'll reach max speed even on Palutena's Campsite before reaching the blastline.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Is there a way we could rank characters based on full speed from one direction to another? I know that B-Reverse options make it so it wouldn't be a 100%-true ranking, but that would make considerations for potential juggling easier.

Does the Tanooki Tail affect these stats at all?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
So with the DDD air speed change in 1.1.4, his value is now 0.63. With that change in mind, I was testing Super Leaf drifting comparisons between DDD & Shulk with the Monado Shield art active. When both characters reached their max air speed, Shield Shulk was inching closer & closer behind DDD when I had DDD in front. Then I had DDD behind Shield Shulk & was eyeballing DDD start to fall behind. I used both 1/4x (hold L) & 1/2x (hold L) speed & came to the conclusion that Shield art's air speed value is higher than 0.63, but of course I wouldn't know the exact air speed value. Although, when I pretend that Monado arts affect Shulk's attributes through a multiplier, I punch in these numbers:

Vanilla Shulk air speed value = 1.06
Shield art's pretend multiplier for air speed = 0.6x

1.06 x 0.6 = 0.636

Top Bottom