• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Smash 3DS AI: the Good, the Bad, and the Just Plain Dumb

Ceadda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lethality
3DS FC
2878-9806-5002
They're relatively easy, but that's the case for all Smash games. I was able to beat a lvl 9 right away and I was still adapting to the 3DS controls.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The only problem with facing level 9s is that in Classic Mode, the handicap system is often rigged against you when you play a harder difficulty level.

JonJon

Smash Cadet
NNID
jonjon_phelps
They seem easy to me but I only have the demo. Could be just the demo or that's just how they are. It might help that I mained Mario in brawl and he's in the demo.

fearless.leader

Smash Apprentice
lv9 cpus are easy to beat but gosh are they annoying especially when they have a counter move, and the perfect grabs too.. beating them is just a matter of learning their patterns but even when you can they are just annoying to play against.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
They are awful practice because they'll make you learn terrible habits that only work on CPUs.

For example; a human, ideally, won't air dodge in the same exact pattern consistently like the CPUs do.

Last edited:

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
yeah they are much easier to fight in this one I play against level 8s all the time and almost always win

Last edited:

SoraYoshi

Smash Cadet
NNID
xNinjaYoshix
3DS FC
0130-1855-1624
I feel Brawl's CPU was harder on lvl.9, SSB4's is easy on lvl.9, and Melee was horrid easy on lvl.9 in my opinion.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I find most CPUs in this game incredibly frustrating once you get past level 5. It's not that they're actually particularly good, they just have literally perfect spacing coupled with perfect reaction time. They know the exact edge of that BS disjointed hitbox on Villager's Down Tilt, even though it's invisible. They know exactly the range on that strange disjointed hitbox on Mario's Up Special. And they know exactly where your hurtbox moves when you attack down to the pixel, and can out-range you simply by spot-dodging or perfect-shielding and countering with an attack that otherwise should have missed had you not just whiffed an attack. Any attempt to do anything fancy that would work on a human fails miserably because they know exactly how to move at the exact point so that you cannot get a read. But despite all of this, they do not understand how to avoid Villager's tree at all, nor do they seem to know what to do about Mario fox-trotting into jab combos repeatedly. Like seriously you can rack so much damage on a CPU just by fox-trotting into jab combos all the way across Omega Battlefield.

CPUs in this game are way too good at stalling with rolls and shields. It encourages defensive play to a ridiculous extreme, since it requires a hard read for you to do anything to them.

In other ways, though, the CPUs are extremely predictable. For example, CPU Villager always uses Lloid Rocket and drops off near the ledge he got launched from when recovering high. This leaves him falling for a long distance while in helpless fall, making him extremely vulnerable to a charged Smash Attack if you have any decent ability to predict trajectories. Unfortunately, I don't and never have, even throughout all my years of playing Brawl. If you hit him again while he's still at a range he'll decide to recover from, he'll use Lloid Rocket again in the same direction and forget to jump off, KOing himself.

IblisTriggersPuppet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Oshawottfan33
3DS FC
4356-0745-3351
I find most CPUs in this game incredibly frustrating once you get past level 5. It's not that they're actually particularly good, they just have literally perfect spacing coupled with perfect reaction time. They know the exact edge of that BS disjointed hitbox on Villager's Down Tilt, even though it's invisible. They know exactly the range on that strange disjointed hitbox on Mario's Up Special. And they know exactly where your hurtbox moves when you attack down to the pixel, and can out-range you simply by spot-dodging or perfect-shielding and countering with an attack that otherwise should have missed had you not just whiffed an attack. Any attempt to do anything fancy that would work on a human fails miserably because they know exactly how to move at the exact point so that you cannot get a read. But despite all of this, they do not understand how to avoid Villager's tree at all, nor do they seem to know what to do about Mario fox-trotting into jab combos repeatedly. Like seriously you can rack so much damage on a CPU just by fox-trotting into jab combos all the way across Omega Battlefield.

CPUs in this game are way too good at stalling with rolls and shields. It encourages defensive play to a ridiculous extreme, since it requires a hard read for you to do anything to them.

In other ways, though, the CPUs are extremely predictable. For example, CPU Villager always uses Lloid Rocket and drops off near the ledge he got launched from when recovering high. This leaves him falling for a long distance while in helpless fall, making him extremely vulnerable to a charged Smash Attack if you have any decent ability to predict trajectories. Unfortunately, I don't and never have, even throughout all my years of playing Brawl. If you hit him again while he's still at a range he'll decide to recover from, he'll use Lloid Rocket again in the same direction and forget to jump off, KOing himself.

Also megaman too

he uses very many smash attacks up close or when you try to land from the air and try to air attack on level 7 - 9
cpus are easy when you figure out what cpu's moves they do at that level

villager is easy for me with no items pretty much

Last edited:

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
They are slightly more difficult than the CPUs in Brawl but still easy to beat.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
They input read even more then the Brawl AI.

It just makes them annoying to fight for the most part, as you spend of your time punishing their mistakes rather then going on the offensive, since they'll block or dodge practically anything you throw at them if they aren't stuck in lag from something.
Yeah, they're totally rooted to the ground and just shield everything. It's not really worth training against them cause they shield REALLY well but don't act like actual players at all so I'm beating them no problem now.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Based on my demo experiences, they play more human-like, which is good. They are a bit difficult.
At least not like Brawl, where they know everything you'll do before you press the button.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
While they are easy, I find the only times I'm learning new tactics and improving my skills is when I actually lose to them because I try new things and difficult gimps. I'm not the type to just fight CPUs and just expoit their preidctable behaviors until I beat them.

Dr. Snakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueDaBeast
3DS FC
4511-1428-9509
Yeah, they pretty much remind me of Brawl's AI. Ridiculous, but predictable. I mean, they powershielded all 3 of my lemons at point-blank range, but ALWAYS air dodge if I jump in the air and tap any attack button, which makes it super easy to punish their airdodge landing lag.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
They're not at all difficult to fight but they are boring compared to almost any human opponent.
I noticed the CPUs are super defensive and that there is no flow when fighting them.

I wish they were more like P:M CPUs, even with the suicidal tendencies that would bring.

At least not like Brawl, where they know everything you'll do before you press the button.
I think they read inputs even more than Brawl AI. Their perfect shields are ridiculous.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Level 9 CPUs are annoying in this game. They pull out a lot of magic b******* to dodge every single attack you make. They spam their shield a lot too. Level 8 below is a total joke.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
The most annoying thing about these CPUs is their almost inhuman hability to perfect shield, I was fighting Lv. 9 Mario and he managed to perfect shield 5 consecutive shots of Mega Man's Neutral A at close range and grabbed me, after some time this becomes really really predictable because the CPUs defensive game; you can attack them directly, they will shield, and you can do a sidestep to dodge the grab they always do after dropping shield and punish them with your own grab or an attack to send them upwards and out of their comfort zone.

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
I think they're pretty easy, but it could be just because we've been playing Smash a lot and are just good at it

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
Based on my demo experiences, they play more human-like, which is good. They are a bit difficult.
I don't know why you crossed out the Brawl part. Besides some moves working on them that wouldn't on players, I've had more BS happen with Brawl AI. They shield even better and on top of them grab or even smash before an attack is over.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
It's really easy to see that they got lazy with the AI when fighting Megaman and Villager, and basically just copypasted the basic AI script onto them without accounting the unique properties of some of their moves.

The former tries to use his forward tilt like a normal one, and either runs up to your face and leaves himself wide open for attacks or runs off the edge of the stage while attempting to edgeguard you.

The latter will plant a tree, but makes no active effort to actually water it or chop it down, instead just watering the ground at random intervals.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
It's really easy to see that they got lazy with the AI when fighting Megaman and Villager, and basically just copypasted the basic AI script onto them without accounting the unique properties of some of their moves.

The former tries to use his forward tilt like a normal one, and either runs up to your face and leaves himself wide open for attacks or runs off the edge of the stage while attempting to edgeguard you.

The latter will plant a tree, but makes no active effort to actually water it or chop it down, instead just watering the ground at random intervals.
Villager does actually attempt to water the tree, he just seems to oddly overestimate his watering can's range for some reason. He'll also use the watering can to try and push you into range of the tree or towards the edge of the stage, but he's not very good at it.

D

Deleted member 245254

So, Pikachu likes to do the PIIKAACHUU (Sorry, I don't know the move but its a bouncy thunderball thing its also his neutral special...) and he does it, ALOT It's like his only move, Villager does the Side Special alot... Link has a good AI, Mario usually reflects every single projectile -.- and they all shield like maniacs
Better get used to that, the best Pikachu players not only use thunder shock more than the computer does but they use them intelligently while weaving in and out of your range and jumping.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Better get used to that, the best Pikachu players not only use thunder shock more than the computer does but they use them intelligently while weaving in and out of your range and jumping.
*Thunder Jolt. The move actually called Thunder Shock is a custom variation of Thunder Jolt that is much shorter range and travels straight forward, but has a sweetspot at the tip that deals 10% damage and has more kill power than Pikachu's Forward Smash.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
One weirdo AI glitch i saw on stream: when fighting on Balloon Fight, the lv. 9 cpu (maybe lower but that's who was fighting at the time) would randomly stop entirely. This would last last for up to ten seconds or so for seemingly no reason.

As such, I dub this random bug 'tea time.'

D

Deleted member 245254

*Thunder Jolt. The move actually called Thunder Shock is a custom variation of Thunder Jolt that is much shorter range and travels straight forward, but has a sweetspot at the tip that deals 10% damage and has more kill power than Pikachu's Forward Smash.
You breakin' my balls, friend, but I'll take it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
Playing with Mario against lvl 9 Villager i actually got to to kill him 8 times in a match with no effort, you just need to send him out pf the stage and cape them in the air, they do 2 things:

-Return in the Lloyd Rocket and i cape them again, easy kill.

-Uses his Balloons trying to recover and surprisingly, if you cape them when they do that they loose a balloon and go straight down, like when they loose one of his balloons they loose his ability to go up... easy kill again, don't know if it works with human players though

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Villager does actually attempt to water the tree, he just seems to oddly overestimate his watering can's range for some reason. He'll also use the watering can to try and push you into range of the tree or towards the edge of the stage, but he's not very good at it.
Actually, I think that depending on the AI setting the villager will try to plant, water, and chop the tree. Level 6/7 are the only levels that actually chopped the tree once.

Last edited:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Playing with Mario against lvl 9 Villager i actually got to to kill him 8 times in a match with no effort, you just need to send him out pf the stage and cape them in the air, they do 2 things:

-Return in the Lloyd Rocket and i cape them again, easy kill.

-Uses his Balloons trying to recover and surprisingly, if you cape them when they do that they loose a balloon and go straight down, like when they loose one of his balloons they loose his ability to go up... easy kill again, don't know if it works with human players though
I'm gonna try that.

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna try that.
Go ahead, it's funny. Maybe you could beat my record.

I think it also should work in human players cause i saw him moving his arms like how he do to go up, but again, goes straight down. Maybe that's the weakness of the Baloon Trip.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sorry for bumping this thread, but when I was trying to unlock Lucina earlier today, she did give me one heck of a scare. I was using Kirby during that challenger match, and I did struggle beating her. Fortunately, I won, but it's obviously a taste of what I'll have to deal with for the remaining unlockables, and for the more difficult skill levels.

Level 9 CPUs powershield excessively and make all my best-prepared projectiles worthless. Short hop aerials are also similarly shielded. Throws and meteor smashes are basically the ideal way to dispatch them, which is not always good preparation for human opponents.

I notice CPUs that pick up my Mecha-Koopas tend to throw them straight up into the air, regardless of where I'm positioned.

Sorry for bumping this thread, but when I was trying to unlock Lucina earlier today, she did give me one heck of a scare. I was using Kirby during that challenger match, and I did struggle beating her. Fortunately, I won, but it's obviously a taste of what I'll have to deal with for the remaining unlockables, and for the more difficult skill levels.
I also found the Lucina fight a little grueling, but the following unlock matches were actually easier. Lucina was just hard because she would excessively counter in addition to power shield, as well as camp and wait for you to advance, which is an odd thing to see the CPU do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Whenever I play as Megaman and do a jab combo the level 9 CPU always perfect shields the first hit, unshields, perfect shields the next hit, unsheilds, and perfect shields the third hit. Its worse than T-bagging :facepalm:

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
They can read your minds when it comes to countering you, but once you learn their AI patterns you can make quick work of them. Forward smash, it'll miss and they dodge behind you, then use counter as they try to follow up with their own smash. Watch for occasional grab.

Top Bottom