• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Slowfalling the Key

Sascratch

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure how many people know about this yet so forgive me if its common knowledge, I just hav'nt seen it posted anywhere.

You can Slow-fall Game and Watch's Dair (key) by holding down just after you do the move. It's as if you were to fast fall the Dair . . . except it has the reverse effect.

Why would you want to slow-fall an otherwise very fast aerial? For spiking of course . . .

This allows you to jump off the edge and key-spike someone without worrying about plummeting down to your doom as a consequence.

I've tried this with toon link's and sheik's down air and it doesn't work. This seems like a game and watch exclusive mechanic :)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Holy crap, more reason why G&W is top tier. Awesome. I gotta try that once I unlock him.

BoG

Smash Journeyman
I've done it multiple times on accident, I was hoping I could figure out how to do it, I'm glad you finally did.

Mani

Smash Cadet
haha so THATS how I kept doing that! Couldn't figure out what I was doing to prevent the fastfall

This is indeed a very good move, thanks for clarifying its usage

Bronze

Smash Journeyman
Very nice, seems like you can slow it at any point you want too. So speed towards them and then slow down ^_^

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
yeah pretty neat find, i was pretty sure it had to do with getting hit, but apparently not : )
this will be sorta useful, but since it still drops you, its still gunna be hard to spike people with the key, we'll see though

Sascratch

Smash Rookie
Yeah. If you do it right it seems like it cuts the fall distance about in half. I think that key is still pretty hard to spike with regardless.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
yeah pretty neat find, i was pretty sure it had to do with getting hit, but apparently not : )
this will be sorta useful, but since it still drops you, its still gunna be hard to spike people with the key, we'll see though
You can easily short hop a dair, slow the fall and double jump back to the stage. With the slowed momentum, as someone said, you go half the distance.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
its not so much that i was worried about the falling portion of it, its that you have to be inside the opponent to spike them, which isn't always easy to do. The falling portion will still make it pretty awkward when you miss though, possibly putting you in a bad situation, at least in the last game you could combo out of a non spike key

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
Could someone tell me how to do this in greater detail?
It's as simple as flick cstick down, let go, hold analog down.

You can't hold down, hit a and continue holding down...that won't work. If you want to use just analog, hit down and a, let go and then hold down again.

saratos

Smash Apprentice
Techniques are getting weirder and more character specific each day. Mostly everything in Melee was physics-consistent, barring DJC and WDing, but some of these things people are coming up with are plain weird.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
imagine how scary its going to be when you muscle mempry screams "WTFNO" at pressing down on a spike lmfao. the first few times has got to feel, weird.

Top Bottom