• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Slippy Toad for Smash DLC: (Star Fox Zero Hype and Slippy's Getting A Bigger Role!)

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Thank you based Miyamoto for bringing back Starfox from the Command Tragedy ™! My only concern is will this be a reboot or not? Discuss what you would like in the new Starfox or what will make the series decent again.
...I liked command. I beat every ending for that game. I guess some of them were tragic. The one where Fox can no longer even recognize Krystal was pretty dark. Also Dash going nuts and conquering Lylat.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

Nice to see this frog getting some love... Slippy hat avaliable.
I thought it was an N64 Slippy hat when I saw the dark soul less eyes but then I saw this.

This is unfortunate but hopefully we get Slippy as a playable character. He can either end up with his own move set or he can be a semi clone of Snake while still having the same special attacks as he would for an original move set (except the machine gun) but as Snake's weapons, only re-skinned as the Star Fox Assault weapons. His Up Special will be the Booster Pack from Assault but function similar to Snake's recovery. Slippy's Down Special can still be the C4 but it will have a Star Fox stylized design.

A Star Fox version of Snake's C4 could also be brought up if Snake and Slippy are both in Smash 4 or just Slippy playable. Slippy would mention that he designed a C4 just like Snake's for him to use, which would suck for Snake considering he wanted a weapon designed by Slippy for battle.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Really, 4 pages of Slippy?

So why does it say Slippy Hat Deconfirmed?
Is that hat deconfirmed? Does the hat deconfirm him?
I don't think either are true...

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Really, 4 pages of Slippy?

So why does it say Slippy Hat Deconfirmed?
Is that hat deconfirmed? Does the hat deconfirm him?
I don't think either are true...
The frog hat from the corocoro page looked like Slippy without his hat on. The hat is actually from the Mii Streetpass, which I put Slippy Hat Deconfirmed in the thread title. I'll remove it in a sec.

The hat either way wouldn't have deconfirmed Slippy's chances anyway. He still has a chance. And yeah only 4 pages in this thread which I guess is reasonable since I doubt anyone wants to talk out Slippy all day (other than his fans) unless he's confirmed playable. I'll still update the thread though. I'm currently drawing some examples of how Slippy would look and work as a Snake clone and color costumes for the Slippy pic in the OP.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
It's a little saddening that 4 pages are all we have. Slippy makes a lot of sense as the logical next Star Fox newcomer, but I guess the demand for one is low, which is understandable. Still, the Krystal thread gets a good amount of support.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I'd take slippy over Wolf all day lol I love slippy. Add me to the support list!
Added you to the OP. Welcome aboard Exegguter! I will be udating the OP soon with the clone move set and possibly adding the Sniper Rifle to Slippy's regular move set. I've thought about what his color costumes would be so far. One of them definitely has to be Katt Monroe's color palette due to Slippy and Katt having the same voice actress from Star Fox 64. Another special color would be his color palette from his SNES concept art design.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Add me to the support list. Slippy is the best Star Fox member.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Add me to the support list. Slippy is the best Star Fox member.
Added. I'll update the OP again in the morning with a clone move set of Snake, Mega Man, and Link for Slippy. I still want to make some quick sketches of what Slippy would look like as an alt character or clone of one of the 3 characters.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Can we get a support sig, btw?

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
We still have this from the Sig Icon Thread:

But I'll try and make something new tomorrow. Maybe something like how new comers were updated on the dojo with a rectangular bar with their render and character art on the right side.

And I still have this I made a few months ago.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So, here's my stance on this

I think Slippy Toad is a great character and all that, and he does make me laugh sometimes. I would support him for Super Smash Bros, but at the same time, I could only see him as a clone, so that makes me think he would be skipped over like Chrom was. If anything, I could only see him going as far as an assist trophy.

Do I support Slippy? Yes. Am I really that confident about him? Not really. Do I see him as a pipe dream? No, it's just not the best choice for a fourth STARFOX rep in my eyes. Maybe if Star Fox Wii U really exceeds expectations and Sakurai did five reps for StarFox I could see it as guaranteed, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey Slippy bros! It appears that we not only got a new Star Fox, but the croaking mechanic will have a bigger role in this game according to the Treehouse guys.

With Krystal's whereabouts being unknown and this game being a reimagining, maybe this could be the toad's chance to shine since he's actually the third most requested Star Fox character in Japan. I really hope this expanded role in a way rescues him from the Scrappy Heap like how the Duck Hunt Dog turned from the most hated Nintendo character to one of the more likable Smash newcomers.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
This thread is way too quiet lately, Azure. How are we gonna get everybody back?
I don't know, but @ Gene Gene ought to update the title a bit to reflect Slippy's situation. That ought to get more attention and let them know that the Star Fox Zero hype train never ends.

About Slippy being more careless, it still scares me a little. The treehouse guys said that his role would be bigger and him still being that "screw-up" would most likely keep his support low in the West. What I really hope is that the plot in a way makes him grow as a character instead of him still being in the shadow of his more superior teammates.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Image isn't coming through on my side, bro.
My bad. How's this?

Well, I'm watching StarFox Zero coverage at the Treehouse, and it looks as if Slippy's still as careless as he was in 64. Maybe more, maybe less, I dunno.
I don't know, but @ Gene Gene ought to update the title a bit to reflect Slippy's situation. That ought to get more attention and let them know that the Star Fox Zero hype train never ends.

About Slippy being more careless, it still scares me a little. The treehouse guys said that his role would be bigger and him still being that "screw-up" would most likely keep his support low in the West. What I really hope is that the plot in a way makes him grow as a character instead of him still being in the shadow of his more superior teammates.
I can see the West having low support, They said that during the Tree House? That's some good news! I think it would make him a bit more likable since his talent get's overshadowed by being a "screw up" on the battlefield. It's ironic really.

Btw his character design looks great (as well as the others). Slippy also looks like he has a new hat too, it looks blue and yellow.

What do you guys suggest I change the title to?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
My bad. How's this?

I can see the West having low support, They said that during the Tree House? That's some good news! I think it would make him a bit more likable since his talent get's overshadowed by being a "screw up" on the battlefield. It's ironic really.

Btw his character design looks great (as well as the others). Slippy also looks like he has a new hat too, it looks blue and yellow.

What do you guys suggest I change the title to?
Indeed, I remembered it from one of the first streams of the event on Tuesday. Since they are the ones who had early access to the games, they might as well be right since our boy deserves to get some time to shine without any of the post-Adventures characters in the way.

His design is looking better with that shiny new hat and the smoother green skin. If not, this is actually one of my favorite Slippy designs since Star Fox Assault. His voice is quite the improvement to how it was in the previous titles (Though they are much better than his Gingie dialect from Adventures).

The new thread title ought to be something good for the little froggie and I've got the perfect choice. "Slippy Toad for Smash DLC: (Star Fox Zero Hype and Slippy's Getting A Bigger Role)".

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Hold up i've been supporting slippy since melee.Have been saying i would rather have in in than any other star fox character(wolf included) but i'm now just finding this thread........I'm ashamed to call myself a slippy supporter...Can i be on the list

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Indeed, I remembered it from one of the first streams of the event on Tuesday. Since they are the ones who had early access to the games, they might as well be right since our boy deserves to get some time to shine without any of the post-Adventures characters in the way.

His design is looking better with that shiny new hat and the smoother green skin. If not, this is actually one of my favorite Slippy designs since Star Fox Assault. His voice is quite the improvement to how it was in the previous titles (Though they are much better than his Gingie dialect from Adventures).

The new thread title ought to be something good for the little froggie and I've got the perfect choice. "Slippy Toad for Smash DLC: (Star Fox Zero Hype and Slippy's Getting A Bigger Role)".
Nice. I'm going to change it in a few minutes.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Heh, add me to the support list. Probably my choice after Wolf, since I saw him getting support from that reddit poll, I thought about it and thought it would be a great idea too.

At least, I would say, I prefer Slippy over Krystal. I shouldn't be the only one, right?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Heh, add me to the support list. Probably my choice after Wolf, since I saw him getting support from that reddit poll, I thought about it and thought it would be a great idea too.

At least, I would say, I prefer Slippy over Krystal. I shouldn't be the only one, right?
Trust me, you are not alone my friend. Despite his constant screw ups and cries for help, he is an integral member of Star Fox and what's better than being able to play as the inventor of the team. :smirk:

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

Trust me, you are not alone my friend. Despite his constant screw ups and cries for help, he is an integral member of Star Fox and what's better than being able to play as the inventor of the team. :smirk:
Miyamoto says he personally likes Slippy at around 20:40 and will have a bigger role in SF0. Maybe he can push Sakurai in the right direction and make him DLC for Smash?:troll:

I'm thinking of adding another move set for Slippy with Direct-I. I'll have to check the part 2 of the treehouse gameplay again to see what he can do.

Last edited:
Miyamoto says he personally likes Slippy at around 20:40 and will have a bigger role in SF0. Maybe he can push Sakurai in the right direction and make him DLC for Smash?:troll:

I'm thinking of adding another move set for Slippy with Direct-I. I'll have to check the part 2 of the treehouse gameplay again to see what he can do.
Miyamoto got pac man into smash.

pac man and slippy are totally comparable right :troll:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Miyamoto got pac man into smash.

pac man and slippy are totally comparable right :troll:
Still in a better situation than poor Krystal who's good as dead like the other post-Star Fox 64 characters in the franchise since this is a retelling. :smirk:

By the way, I've got done working on a "Vote for Slippy" image lately since today's fishing trip gave me a few ideas for the lines and theme of it. Having the text surround the targeting symbol since actually pretty genius since he is the analyzer of the group and it fits his nature. I might think about making an updated version of it whenever we get that sexy HD rendering of Star Fox Zero Slippy soon.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Direct-i can analyze systems randomly put out for free trespassing/hacking, and reach small areas any SF character can actually go through on foot, that's it. So I don't think there's really much to do with that.

Still in a better situation than poor Krystal who's good as dead like the other post-Star Fox 64 characters in the franchise since this is a retelling. :smirk:
lel.
"At least it makes Slippy more relevant than Krystal :troll:" ~Me in the Wolf thread, in reaction of SF0

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
BUMP

This Slippy design is perfection.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Mother of God, they all look gorgeous. But the amount of detail on Slippy's skin looks fantastic along with his dopey face. That's more the enough for me to get excited about Slippy in Smash. :awesome:
Someday, when Sakurai goes off the deep end and starts adding more reps for every series we'll finally be able to play the original team in a smash bros game.

I wait patiently for that day.:4wario2:

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
OMFG WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN HYYYYYPE
Dat Falco though.... looks a bit... strange...

Nintendo had released the art themselves recently. At least this is a way to hype up the game's visuals before we get more information in a new Nintendo Direct.

Falco's does look a bit strange, but the amount of detail on Peppy and Slippy's designs are fantastic. :love:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
OMFG WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN HYYYYYPE
Dat Falco though.... looks a bit... strange...
Nintendo had released the art themselves recently. At least this is a way to hype up the game's visuals before we get more information in a new Nintendo Direct.

Falco's does look a bit strange, but the amount of detail on Peppy and Slippy's designs are fantastic. :love:
To me Falco looks like a taller, stylized version of his SF643D design. Which is my favorite version of him. Peppy is criminally adorable, Slippy is perfect, and Fox looks alpha as f. I honestly have no problems with Fox's design. Nintendo needs to start making some star fox plushies or puppets.

My only question is what the heck is Wolf's design going to look like? Fox's wet animal/scruffy fur appearance already makes him look intimidating.

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
To me Falco looks like a taller, stylized version of his SF643D design. Which is my favorite version of him. Peppy is criminally adorable, Slippy is perfect, and Fox looks alpha as f. I honestly have no problems with Fox's design. Nintendo needs to start making some star fox plushies or puppets.

My only question is what the heck is Wolf's design going to look like? Fox's wet animal/scruffy fur appearance already makes him look intimidating.
Why does Nintendo have to decide not to show anything about Wolf though? I wanna see his design so bad :c He didn't even get a cameo appearance in the demos, just a Wolfen appearnace in the trailer....

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The massive amount of "No's" in the Slippy Toad poll aren't suprisieng since many find that croaker annoying. But he's part of the team and most of their tech would not exist if it weren't for him. Them haters gonna hate.

Top Bottom