• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sliding Dsmash

Riku00

Smash Ace
Ok i have viewed many many Pit videos and i have not seen this used once. It's nothing great but it is a good way to hit someone with both slices of the Dsmash. Now its very simple to do and it works 100% of the time if you perfect your spacing between you and your opponent. it is not a dash then sliding attack, it is performed at a standstill. While standing in one spot, lets say you just now did a down dodge, all you have to do is start a walk forward or back(not a dash, just walk)and immedialtly Dsmash while still holding forward or back, and if performed correctly you will be sliding while Dsmashing. The main purpose is to hit your opponent with the first strike and while sliding hit him with the 2nd one also which can be followed up w/ a quick Bair or any other type of attack, depending where your opponent is after the transaction. This is performed somewhat simular to the "Stutter Step(tech)," except when used as Pit, he slides while in the process of the attack. This is also great if your opponent tries to down dodge and you miss the first slice you will still most likely hit them with the second. If this thread is not of any help to anyone or this "skill" is already known please close this thread. I don't want any1 to get mad except for the non Pit mains who this will be used against.

Here is a link showing it being done. Please NOTE that i did not hit him with both slices, this is just to show what the move is & does. In this video it is used as a retreating attack. It is peformed at the beginning of Captain Falcon's 2nd life.
Riku vs Talon
Maniaclyrasist is supposed to be working on helping me with 2 other (demonstration)videos.

Byuusan

Smash Journeyman
i.... fail to understand, so it like an angelic step + Dsmash at the process of doing it? A video would be nice, i'll try to see if it actually works.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Yea, you might as well show us a video.... an example if you will. It does sound related to the angelic step though -_-

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
Sliding dsmash does not involve angelic step. You buffer a dash in the middle of your dodge and then cancel it with your downsmash. Ganondorfs do the same thing with their ftilt and stuff like that. Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHYKqxTSnI0

Choke does this sliding dsmash on me all the time T_T so annoying. If they dodge they avoid the first slash but get hit by the 2nd slash, you can follow it up with a forward smash depending on the %. Choke calls that the Choke combo, i call it plain gay <.<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm1EOeYzTPY

You can see pit doing the buffered dash cancel in that vid too. After like every dodge Choke does it. First to a ftilt, then dtilt, then fsmash, and then the dsmash. dsmash was at like 0:44. I didnt watch the rest.

Coffee™

I need it....
hmm i caant tell the difference. even at 44s, i wasnt really sure what i was looking for.
Just sit tight. I'll upload a video of it plus a neat little application I found =]

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq3zNyC8s1w This is the "Sliding Dsmash"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejBIheDkaMo

This second video is of a pretty cool application of the same technique used to perform the sliding Dsmash. It's basically Pit using Fmash to send the opponent in the opposite direction of the Fsmash. It's pretty cool since it screws with the opponents DI

Riku00

Smash Ace
The video maniaclyrasist provided is another way to do it but my way is much simpler. i have 2 replays that demonstrate it along with some other attacks you can apply this technique to but i have no way to post it on the net. if anyone would be so kind as to retrieve the replay data from me and post it on this thread it would be greatly appreciated.

Riku00

Smash Ace
ive never seen that in a recorded match but it looks like it has a few applications at low%
i have it recorded against a level3 CPU to demonstrate the effects. My way has nothing to do with %age. its either you do it right or you don't. Chances are that you will at least hit them once no matter what. i have yet to get this in a replay against a human becuz all of my latest matches have been far over 3 min. it seems all of my friends, including me are getting much better with our mains when we face off against each other. tmi but its all good.

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
Sliding dsmash does not involve angelic step. You buffer a dash in the middle of your dodge and then cancel it with your downsmash. Ganondorfs do the same thing with their ftilt and stuff like that. Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHYKqxTSnI0

Choke does this sliding dsmash on me all the time T_T so annoying. If they dodge they avoid the first slash but get hit by the 2nd slash, you can follow it up with a forward smash depending on the %. Choke calls that the Choke combo, i call it plain gay <.<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm1EOeYzTPY

You can see pit doing the buffered dash cancel in that vid too. After like every dodge Choke does it. First to a ftilt, then dtilt, then fsmash, and then the dsmash. dsmash was at like 0:44. I didnt watch the rest.
I have nothing to do with this, and I and do not seriously call it the Choke Combo.

kown

Smash Lord
actually this could be pretty useful against spot dodgers since u would miss with the first hit and get them with the second...tite. already found an application

Byuusan

Smash Journeyman
im pretty sure thisi s out of character but who else beside pit can use this effectively? I can imagine ganon but not as effective.

Riku00

Smash Ace
im pretty sure thisi s out of character but who else beside pit can use this effectively? I can imagine ganon but not as effective.
well becuz of the fact that Pit is actually sliding while doing the attack this makes him the most efficient person to do it (for as much as i know) though i have'nt really tried it with that many characters.

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
I dont think this is anything new. Is it? And you can perfectly dodge both attack from the down smash.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
This is nice but this has been known for a very long time now. And if it hasn't then wow. lol It's a good thing you brought this up since so few seem to know about it. This is a buffered stutter step. After landing the stutter step starts early due to the landing animation. This allows for even further distance in your slide.

For those who still haven't done this, try it the way I discovered it initially. When I first got Brawl I practiced canceling my aerials by SHing backwards and canceling a Fair. Occasionally I'd do the jump two early so this would occur instead.

In fact, after watching it again I think that this was a Stutter Step buffered from the landing animation into a small Pivot Boost.

Riku00

Smash Ace
This is nice but this has been known for a very long time now. And if it hasn't then wow. lol It's a good thing you brought this up since so few seem to know about it. This is a buffered stutter step. After landing the stutter step starts early due to the landing animation. This allows for even further distance in your slide.

For those who still haven't done this, try it the way I discovered it initially. When I first got Brawl I practiced canceling my aerials by SHing backwards and canceling a Fair. Occasionally I'd do the jump two early so this would occur instead.

In fact, after watching it again I think that this was a Stutter Step buffered from the landing animation into a small Pivot Boost.
Yes but you can do this at standstill also. This just happened to be a match that i posted on the critique thread and i noticed that i had done it here. You do not have to be landing to do it. And an angelic step into the sliding Dsmash gives you a seriouse amount of sliding. The only reason i was able to upload this video is with the help of SSD. I was lucky enough to notice that i had remotely performed it in this video. I have replays that actually demonstrate the move, but the person helping me upload them has not done anything to respond or notify me of the progress. By now the videos i sent him are already old and i have put this attack into many more ways of use. You can do it out of wingdash, and its also good to perform it out of a dash cancel. Good for mixing up your game and keeping your opponent guessing. NOTE: Distance, and timing is the key to using this technique effectively.

rinoH

Smash Lord
well i knew about the stutter step thing but didnt know it could be used in this way lol 999 post

Riku00

Smash Ace
stutter step has many uses. ecspecialy for Pit. Pit's walk cancel makes him slide so much it can be used for many things. Stutter step Grab is even better than a dash grab at times. it increases grab range and has no delay lag(there is delay lag, just not as much as a dash grab would have) after the grab if you miss. You can use stutter step into angelic step, there is all kinds of ways this move can be applied. the thing is Pit's stutter step Dsmash is sliding, making it the actual only Dsmash in the game that can slide.(not including Shiek's sliding Dsmash, because it involves a slope in the stage to perform.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Not really true, alot of characters can perform a sliding dsmash or fsmash for that matter. Some better then pit. If you check out luigi, his sliding dsmash is pretty good too. And it doesnt take any angelic step or pivot or anything. Just tilting the control stick as far as possible without initiating the dash animation, will cause alot of characters to slide and smash.

Using this will now and then gives your opponents a nice surprise as your fsmash's second slash reaches further then the first. I also use this to deal with people who like to roll behind you. If you can tell when they are gonna do it, you can do a reverse sliding fsmash get them as they come out of the roll when they land in front, inside or even slightly behind pit. And if you guess wrong and they dont roll, your still protected from the front. Dsmash works too but they dont die from the back hit of the dsmash.

Yeah i think im done. lol.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I'm about to post a glitch in my latest bunch of vids that shows this to an extreme. =P I'll link it here when it's uploaded.

Arzengel

Smash Apprentice
Yup i do it with the angelic step plus any smash. It gives you a small sliding effect. I call it the angel-slide-smash (since it involves the angelic step).

I would use the angelic step for dodging purposes, it even works in a reverse mode. I have a video, i'll upload it tomorrow. (am pretty tired now)

Petuh

Smash Rookie
This is great, I've done the reverse forward smash a few times by mistake but now I can practice it.

Arzengel

Smash Apprentice
no one seems to get it i guess. You don't have to angelic step to sliding attack.

An example of this as proof is the reverse sliding fsmash on this match. At about 1:19. Right after the failed arrow loop. There was no angelic dance or anything, no crouching, dodging, shielding or anything. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG9rhe5hs5U&feature=channel_page
Dude we do get it (at least I do) i was just saying the way I DO IT (aka the way i feel more comfrotable in).
Besides, judging by the video, it seems a nice way to do it. However with the angel step I'm able to cover a bit of more distance + create some mind game + side-dodging before the attack. Therefore I'd rather use the angel step slide.

Riku00

Smash Ace
You can do it anyway you feel is best for you, it doesn't really matter as long as it works. But like i said in the OP, the object of the sliding Dsmash is to perfect hitting your opponent with both slices of the attack. You can always buffer a landing into any sliding attack, but you want to do this on the ground and land it. it's only usefull if your using it in a combo or a kill. you have to decide when you'll put it to use.

double angelic step to Bair then sliding Dsmash.
Its so beautiful |~D

Top Bottom