• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sleeping Lessons: Resting Guide and Other Random Techs

Gedennnnn

Smash Journeyman
Ehh, I'll fix this later, I'm so tired.

I’ve been watching a bunch of Jigglypuff videos, lately, and I keep seeing so many missed opportunities where people could have Rested. I’m going to try to stop that with this. It’s as in-depth as I get so bare with me. Also, it’s so I can have a thread where I can post random techniques I find useful​

I. How to Rest
II. Rest Death Percents
III. When to Rest
IV. Missing a Rest
V. Miscellaneous

I. How to Rest

1) To Rest press Down and the Special Attack button simultaneously. If you don’t do this correctly Jigglypuff may spontaneously combust.

II. Resting Death Percentages

1) It‘s incredibly helpful to know these. I can’t tell you how annoyed I’ve been by thinking im going to kill someone with my rest only for Snake to come right back down. Thanks again Bowyer.

So I figured out all the percents that people live until with DI listed them in order from dieing first to last:

Edit: I compared the %'s to dieing without DI and it basically shows which characters live longer when they use attacks over air dodging. ie. The +5's are basically equally effected by air dodges and attacks.

Neutral Stages:
Jiggs 57% +5
Metaknight 64% +5
Sheik 64% +5
Zelda 65% +5
Fox 65% +7
Peach 66% +5
Olimar 67% +5
ZSamus 69% +8
GW 69% +12
Y. Link 70% +5
Lucas 70% +5
Squirtle 70% +16
Falco 70% +5
Kirby 71% +12
Diddy 71% +5
Luigi 72% +5
Pit 73% +5
Lucario 73% +5
Rob 75% +5
Yoshi 77% +6
Sonic 77% +9
Charizard 78% +6
Wario 78% +6
Wolf 79% +6
Samus 80% +11
Mario 81% +14
Marth 81% +14
Bowser 81% +6
Pika 83% +21
Ivysaur 85% +15
IC's 86% +23
C. Falcon 88% +9
DDD 93% +6
Ganon 94% +18
Ike 97% +20
Link 98% +23
DK 100% +20
Snake 103% +20

Green Greens:
Olimar-51%
GW-51%
MK-61%
Bowser-71%
Snake-76%
DDD-80%

*Note 1: I compared the %'s to dieing without DI and it basically shows which characters live longer when they use attacks over air dodging. ie. The +5's are basically equally effected by air dodges and attacks.

*Note 2: Air dodging made the difference about 0-1% of the death percent, an attack is most likely always better to use when you get set back hard enough to die.

*Note 3: Heavier characters do not always die last over the top. There are many other factors such as falling speed, nature of the move used (not all moves cut momentum equally), differences in ability to DI (I don't know if this exist), and other things I don't know about.

*Note 4: While I tested these percents multiple times and such, there is still some possibility of error. There may be a better move to cancel out momentum with any given rested character, and its possible that my timings were off. As far as the timings go, the difference between starting a dair a couple frames apart could mean the difference between ganon dieing at 85% or living at 93%. Generally the hit stun finishes when they are close to the top of the screen but I couldn't tell an exact time when the hit stun wore out so I just mashed an attack over and over again and sometimes the move came out a couple frames sooner than other times. If someone finds out that a character can live longer than what I posted, please mention it.

III. When to Rest

1) Dair + Rest: Of course most of us already know this. Resting after a Dair is almost for sure going to land. Short hop into the Dair and immedeatly after the animation is done, Rest. It’s that simple.

2) Nair + Rest: This is another common way to Rest do a reverse Nair into your opponent. It should do minimal knock back and you should be in perfect range to rest.

3) Roll Resting: Just roll into your opponent and rest when the rolling animation ends. Easy.

4) Airdodge into Rest: Charge at your opponent, short hop an air dodge overlapping them, then Rest.

5) Pound to Rest: I don’t really recommend it. It only really does anything to fast fallers and heavier chars at lower percents.

6) Shield Pound Rest: Self explanatory. I personally don’t like this. Just pray for a shield stab I suppose.

7) Side Step Rest: Fun against aggressive opponents. Just wait for a dash attack. Also good to do when people are recovering from the ledge and if people have predictable recoveries just wait for it and Rest.

8) Bair to Rest: Only works at lower percents. Under 30 I think. You can even get 2 Bairs or a Bair and a Nair off on heavier characters from 0% only though.

9) Fair to Rest: Both variations of it work for it but the stronger fair will only work at 0% The weaker one works up to 30ish I think. Not sure I’ll test it again.

10) Utilt, Uair, Rest: This is more of a mini combo. They can DI out of it fairly easy and jump if you decide to wait for them to land into the rest, but if you chase them with the rest instead of letting them hit the ground it might be more effective. I’m sure lighter characters won’t have trouble getting out of this, though.

11) Power Shield, Rest: Run in, power shield, then rest.

12) Dash Attack, Rest: Works at 0% only against DK, Wolf, and Bowser so far. Not Wario Dedede or Ganon. Those are the only ones I’ve tested so far though.

13) F-smash to Rest: So far the same results as the Dash Rest.

14) Poke, Rest: Dtilt then jump in to short hopped rest. The hit stun is surprisingly long enough to pull it off.

15) Grab, Roll to Rest by Glick: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183306

There's also that Grab, Pummel, Pummel, Release, Roll Towards Opponent, Rest. This was found and tested by Glick.

There's also Crouch to Rest. Works well on Ganondorf when you are right next to him. By crouching, you can literally avoid Ganondorf's NeutralA and ftilt (there's more attacks you can duck under, but these are the main two). Just Rest him during the ending lag of those moves.
16)
Also, I find it very easy to rest some character's dash attacks (if you sheild it). It works really well on Luigi.

IV. Missing a Rest

1) Don’t.

V. Miscellaneous

1) Rollout Recovery: If you get knocked off the screen and start your falling animation start charging a rollout not all the way though just partially. Let go right before she starts shining. The animations look similar and you could probably trick an opponent once or twice. ( I didn't realize the sound effects is a dead give away. I don't play with the sound, I just listen to music.)

2) Pseudo Pummel Chain: Hmm, I’m not convince this is anything yet. I’m just throwing it out their because something weird happened when I was testing it on a Gannon. I pummeled until he broke free then immediately withoutmoving I was able to grab him again. It felt kind of like I was doing Dedede’s infinite grab. I've replicated it once. So, once on Ganon and once on Sonic. It probably had ridiculous timing. Or it was just probably a glitch but other than that she can dash forward pretty quickly and grab them again to pummel. It could possibly be chain. I doubt it though. I’ll test later today.

3) Footstool Double Jab Lock: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=184095

If anyone has any other interesting techs they use or different rest setups they want to share I’d gladly add them to the list with credit to them of course.
:)

tEhrXXz0r

Smash Journeyman
There's also that Grab, Pummel, Pummel, Release, Roll Towards Opponent, Rest. This was found and tested by Glick.

There's also Crouch to Rest. Works well on Ganondorf when you are right next to him. By crouching, you can literally avoid Ganondorf's NeutralA, ftilt, and SideB (there's more attacks you can duck under, but these are the main three). Just Rest him during the ending lag of those moves.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
This is good but you forgot about weakening hits. Thats how tehrxxzor was able to rest my Jigglypuff straight out of a bair off-stage at around 50%. Ironically, he lost, but it shows that degenerative hit stuns should be accounted for.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
wow, thanks for the percentages. What were these tested on? Bf?

Gedennnnn

Smash Journeyman
No, I went and found the most ancient percentages until Bowyer gives me to green light that I can use his. Lol.

tEhrXXz0r

Smash Journeyman
This is good but you forgot about weakening hits. Thats how tehrxxzor was able to rest my Jigglypuff straight out of a bair off-stage at around 50%. Ironically, he lost, but it shows that degenerative hit stuns should be accounted for.
Ugh, you wouldn't believe how many matches I lose because I see a Rest opportunity off-stage! Haha and oddly enough, Rest often connects for me O_o lol

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Though I haven't done it yet and I don't see it happening too often, there's a video in the tactical discussion forums that showed an interesting way to land rest. The spacing of both of you is awkward so that's why I don't see it happening often but I guess it's worth a mention. If an opponent is on the edge of the stage or platform and you dash attack while they're shielding, you'll have enough momentum at times to push you and them off. As soon as you fall off, Rest since your characters should be overlapping. Someone should look a bit into this cause I'm too lazy too xd

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
It's about time a resting guide was made.

That psuedo chain has me intrigued. I'll look into it.

Also, I find it very easy to rest some character's dash attacks (if you sheild it). It works really well on Luigi.

tEhrXXz0r

Smash Journeyman
I apologize for the misinformation, but Ganondorf's SideB DOES hit Jigglypuff! The others still don't hit though...

Sorry again about that :/

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I could try to use d-air to Rest on a non-moving opponent and miss. :(...I just need more practice, I guess.

I thought just dashing to rest also worked (OK, if anyone ever fell for that)...

An informative mini-guide, this is.

DJ Kat

Smash Apprentice
Don't know if this is old or new news, but...

If you're on the edge, and the enemy is standing directly above you, on the end of the stage, you can simply jump and rest without delay. You'll also have invincibility frames. Great for those annoying jerks who try to horizontally kill your recovery, although you should just recover from the bottom anyways. :\

Top Bottom