• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Skullgirls DLC Funding Campaign

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if it's appropriate to be posting this here, but we've had threads about MikeZ's address to the fighting game community and about how Skullgirls was given a psuedo 9th slot for EVO, so I thought it'd be alright. After all, this might not have happened had it not been for all the attention they got while going head-to-head with us in the EVO drive. (I also know this room should have been shut down already but don't tell anyone. Maybe they forgot.)

So what "this" is, is a funding drive on Indiegogo for Skullgirls to develop new DLC characters as well as stages and story modes. Right after the EVO drive ended, MikeZ showed off some of the unfinished animations for what should have been the first DLC character, Squigly. We all know how much trouble the team behind Skullgirls has had due to lawsuits and other misfortunes. In order to pay for her development and any other new characters, the team at Lab Zero Games would need lots of money. So much so that they're willing to take pay cuts while working on the new content in order to make more reasonable fundraising goals.

Here's the link to their kickstarter (I don't know what the Indiegogo equivalent is):
http://igg.me/at/skullgirls-dlc/x/2507559

As you can see, they have already surpassed the $150,000 necessary to develop Squigly and she will be available for free on any platform for three months after she's released. This all happened in less than 24 hours. However, there are multiple stretch goals available with 30 days left in the fundraiser. The first one happens at $175k with more continuing at $375k, $400k, $600k, and $625k. Each $25k jump is a new stage and story mode while each $200k jump is a new character. Once a character is unlocked, it will also be available for free in the three months after it's released. If you want more information on what specific things will be unlocked, the link goes into way more detail.

I know many of us don't have Skullgirls yet but if any of you were looking to get it on PC, there are still over 3500 rewards available at $30 so you can get a Steam code as well as beta access, DLC forum access, the official soundtrack, wallpapers, and a TF2 hat. Upper tier rewards seem to go out ridiculously fast but they've been adding more of them occasionally so keep your eyes open.

I always wanted to try out Skullgirls and backing this to get a Steam code was the perfect opportunity for me. If any of you are interested in helping out our former rivals, please feel free to donate a little. There was a lot of positive back-and-forth between our communities in between all the negative talk during the EVO Drive. Let's try and show that most of the negative was only in the spirit of competition (and get some kickstarter rewards in the process).

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I LOVE PAINWHEEL. Tempting to make her say something. Like something along the terms of How I see metaphores.

Any way of knowing how people paid for the painwheel voiceover?

I don't wanta pay for someone elses really

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
The funding has now made it to $175,004 which means story mode for Squigly. I'm hoping for Panzer as the 3rd fan picked character though.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
That is really cool. It is also awesome that they were able to throw half minute hero into the project as well. I think collaborations between developers and projects like this are good on so many levels. The donation drive raises capital and awareness. So I think it is great the Foehammer and Marvelous AQL are joining in as it helps them with the same things as well. I may have to look into contributing.

BrandX

Smash Ace
Oh ****, someone actually made a topic! Thank you so much for promoting this dude! I was wanting to make this but I wasn't sure where to put it XD

And yeah damn, we made 200k in 2 days!

I love the SG communtiy <3

You guys should help too, we would have all the DLC characters funded by now XD

TreK

Is "that guy"
Well I'm amazed to say the least. Good job guys, but I want a 2nd and a 3rd character now haha
Brb, putting my money where my mouth is.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I LOVE PAINWHEEL. Tempting to make her say something. Like something along the terms of How I see metaphores.

Any way of knowing how people paid for the painwheel voiceover?

I don't wanta pay for someone elses really
Man, her ending was heartbreaking :(

On topic, I'm so glad the game is getting the attention it deserves. 150k in 24 hours....luck that didn't happen in the EVO drive, haha. seriously though,this has become the "Family Guy" of fighting games-in that debuted, suddenly died, and then came back more powerful then ever.

Umbrella and Black Dhalia, here we come!

EDIT: just saw Stanley...i approve of Dr. Shark. seriously, DR. SHARK. th-that's so awesome!

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
seriously though,this has become the "Family Guy" of fighting games-in that debuted, suddenly died, and then came back more powerful then ever.
Let's sincerely hope that this doesn't become the "Family Guy" of fighting games. I'd prefer this game to not suck in the long run after investing $30 in a Steam code.

...end melee discussion.

Well, that was quite a good conversation about the smash community.

I enjoy Dr. Shark as well.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
What I like like about the melee discussion is when everyone is cool no one pulling ou their guns or anything.

I'm doubting they'll reach the amount for the chartcer after big band just because they bleed everyone dry for rewards and they ran out of the higher up ones and adding more would put sone hurt on then as well. Wanted brain drain even bought the game on a different profile and was the 80th or 81 to drop $200 ahhh i'm so disappointed wanted painwheel to be a poet of some form

oksas

oak-sauce
i was only slightly interested till i read this

The new stage will, of course, feature an all-new track from Michiru Yamane.
edit: didn't realize she was the composer all along. still pretty sweet

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Who is Black Delila? The only other characters I know of are the two that were supposed to be in the game to begin with and supposedly the final boss in playable form.
in peacock,s story she's in the background somewhere they've hinted to background characters and random drawn they've done on deviant before

BrandX

Smash Ace
lol this has become the Smashboards Skullgirls section
Well no one posts in the SkullGirls topic on the Light House Board so...XD

What I like like about the melee discussion is when everyone is cool no one pulling ou their guns or anything.

I'm doubting they'll reach the amount for the chartcer after big band just because they bleed everyone dry for rewards and they ran out of the higher up ones and adding more would put sone hurt on then as well. Wanted brain drain even bought the game on a different profile and was the 80th or 81 to drop $200 ahhh i'm so disappointed wanted painwheel to be a poet of some form
Don't count us out yet :)

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277

They'll make it. The funding isn't over till the 26th? 27th? 28th? 25th?

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
smash girls baby

i want Feng

Top Bottom