• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skill Levels; What Do You Guys Think??

mario-man

Smash Lord
As far as I'm concerned, these are the levels of Smash skill. I didn't do any Mario specific things, but anyways, tell me what you think of it. Then discuss:

--------------------------------------------------
n00bZ0rz: You've never played the game. Just heard about it, and thought it sounded cool.

Complete Uber n00b: This is the level where you have to keep asking someone which buttons do what. Usually, people zoom past this level in minutes.

Uber n00b: This is the level where you get 5 stocked by novices. You know no advanced techs, and barely know the basic techs.

n00b: This is the level where you only get 2 stocked by novices. This level almost = novice.
You begin finding out about WDing, and l-canceling. You try doing it and fail miserably, so you decide that they're crap, and don't help you out that much. So you give them up.

Novice: This is the level where you continue reading other people's posts and see their vids, and you decide that advanced techs might be worth the effort, so you start trying to do them again and you do better than the first time. You decide that they are worth the effort, and you're going to keep doing them until you're good at them.

Beginner: This is where your road to Smashdom really begins. You've gotten to where you can wavedash about 1/10 tries and can't l-cancel worth crap. You are becoming somebody's fanboy. You find out about some other techs, but decide not to try them yet because you're having a hard enough time with the ones you're working on as it is. This is the level where you 2 stock novices.

Intermediate: Here is the level where you begin to get ALOT better VERY quickly. You can wavedash almost consistently, and can l-cancel somewhat. You will occasionally get a combo, but you have no idea how you did it. You still don't attempt any new techs until you get a little more comfortable with WDing and l-canceling. You 3 stock novices fairly frequently.

Good: Here you can wavedash with your eyes closed and can l-cancel nearly every time. You begin to go to tournaments whenever you get a chance to, although you get knocked out in the 1st or 2nd round. You decide it's time to begin some of the other techs, but don't do too well with them.

Very Good: Wavedashing is a complete habit, and you can l-cancel every time. You go to tournaments pretty frequently, and have gotten to the 5th or 6th round. You're beginning to get better with some of the more advanced techs.

Dude, You're Good: This is the level where you own every single one of your friends, as in 3 stock them regularly. You've gotten to the Quarter Finals of a tournament at least 5 times, and have gotten pretty good amounts of recognition from pros. You're pretty good at the more advanced techs, but still mess them up about 1/2 the time.

Dude, I Can't Believe How Good This Cat Is: Here all advanced techs are in your back pocket, and it's come down to mindgames as far as advancing your skill level. You 4 stock people regularly unless they're near your skill level.

Pro: You've won at least 3 tourneys, and people admire your skills from the sidelines of a TV. You're the most widely known person on SWF and are nearly the most respected. You make advice threads and people take your word as gospel truth. Flat out, you dominate this game.

Legend: 'Nuff said. You'll always be remembered in the anals of Smash Bros. If you've reached this level, then your name is Eggz.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discuss.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Thanks, and welcome to SWF. What is it that makes it 9 instead of 10?

hova

Smash Champion
your list seems to be based solely around tech skill with a single mention of mind games

seems that when people don't understand the game beyond a technical level they simply group all other skills and talents into a 'mindgame' category

also winning a tourney does not denote skill, the same person could win a local tourney in a generally crappy area and not even make it out of pools at a local tourney in an area known for smash

2/10

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
If you ask me, that many levels isn't nessecary and well, your descriptions to a point seem to be too far based on personal experience. I didn't really advance quite in that manner anyways.

As hova said, this is definitely too tech focused. The mental side of smash is more important in my opinion. You should know this too, since Mario is a more "mindgame" oriented character than tech oriented.

Where you place in a tournament doesn't matter a whole lot considering a few things. What if you fight really, really amazing peoples in the first rounds at almost every tournament you go to? What if everyone else in the tournament kept asking you "Whats this game called again? I forgot...." and had never even held a GC controller?

For example, at my first tournament I got to the 8th round. top 12 out of 100+ I think... was I good? Hell no. Almost everyone there was horrible. In fact I probably could have made third if I had not fought who got 1st in my final round; he was one of the few good people by the way XD

In my second tournament, there were people that were actually good, and I was lucky to get to the 3rd or 4th round or so... but that's what I expected.

To me, only these levels are needed and are more universally understood in the community:
Nub
Scrub
Noob
Novice
Intermediate
Advanced
Expert/Pro

I won't further explain because I am lazy right now.

for your system, I give you a 5; but good effort mario-man, good effort.

.ReDLiNE-

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the welcoming, and the only reason I said 9/10 instead of 10 was because there were a lot of levels... it's a pretty minor complaint.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
LOL at previous comments...

well i think it was VERY entertaining...reading the skill lis of urs but you shouldnt mention for some skill a specific technique coz i didnt start with l-cancelin i started with Short Hopping and Fast Falling Airials and after mastering that to l cancel... ...short : SHFFing

yeah...i think l-canceling comes later dontcha think? i mean its only coz i used mario and actually just auto cancel ( but i didnt know that i was auto canceling ) and so i didnt think that it causes too much lag...

but it was funny! so ill give ya 6/10 for the very good effort,funny skill names and for being mario-man :psycho:

it wasnt bad actually =/

Eggz

Smash Hero
Tech skill is cool.

I just got your PMs, and since this clearly isn't entirely serious, you guys can stop being ***** to Mario-Man. Haha

I liked it a lot, I laughed, which was the goal. GGz.

10/10

mario-man

Smash Lord
Yep. One of the main goals was to get you to laugh. I also did think it was pretty good, but hey, I made it so that happens that way automatically eh. LoL

Well yeah, I guess this might be more of a personal experience type thing.
I didn't learn SHing and FFing before the others but maybe you did. I meant to talk more about mindgames, just assume that they were implied. XD

Anyways, I'm excited. This is the best response I've ever gotten to one of my threads. Yay Guess that proves how the Mario boards is like a family, everyone sticks together.

Eggz, I sent two pms cuz I sent the one and then saw that you were online, but nothing happened so I got curious...........do you have the Pm pop up thingy?
w00t!! Congratz Eggz at 3,000 posts!!! Yayuhhhz!!

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
cool 3000 posts...

anyway... i wasnt being a **** comeon xD i said it was funny but i didnt know that it was the goal =D

if the main thing was to make you laugh about this then ill give it a 8.99999999/10 =p

mario-man

Smash Lord
One of the main goals was to get you to laugh.
It wasn't the ENTIRE point to get you to laugh, but it was a thought in my head as I was typing it. Well, it actually was originally a pm to Eggz, but I liked it and thought that it would make a good thread so...........I copied it, pasted it, edited it a little, and now here we are. The original main goal was to tell Eggz that I had "leveled up". :laugh:

mario-man

Smash Lord
LooooL
I understand you guys were tired.

What the -4/10!!! What's up with that Matador?? LoL

n00bZ0rz skill level = You've never played the game. Just heard about it, and thought it sounded cool.

Eggz

Smash Hero
lmao

***** isn't censored when I say it, but Super Mari0 said it and it censored it. >_>

3000 posts? or does s remove profane status?

mario-man

Smash Lord
It's ALL unnecessary if you ask me. Could you lay off of it plz. I would much appreciate it. It REALLY bothers me.

Anyways, Eggz, I saw a post of yours about you and someone else having some kind of vid posted up a few days ago. Did you end up doing that or not?? If so, can I have the link?

technomancer

Smash Champion
*****!

haha, I dunno how useful this is but its not inaccurate

47/59 cuz ratings are important, also I loled on several occasions

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I'd classify myself as good but you make it seem as if l-canceling is more difficult than wding and in my experience wd'ing is more difficult to learn/incorperate.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Yeah if you'd read the rest you would see that I decided that it was based on personal experience. Maybe it's that way for you and maybe it's not. It was pretty funny in some spots if I do say so myself. LoL

600 posts FTW

Eggz

Smash Hero
It's ALL unnecessary if you ask me. Could you lay off of it plz. I would much appreciate it. It REALLY bothers me.

Anyways, Eggz, I saw a post of yours about you and someone else having some kind of vid posted up a few days ago. Did you end up doing that or not?? If so, can I have the link?
Whatchu talkin about?

mario-man

Smash Lord
ROFL

If you don't know what it is, then forget about it. (I'm assuming you mean the vid)

mario-man

Smash Lord
Settle what?? I don't have the stuff to post vids yet so, that won't work anyway.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Mario OWNS Doc HARD. Doc sux

Whooaahh, Gimpy as GigaBowser, that's just not fair.:crying:

-PM-

Smash Ace
how about event 51

gimpy - giga bowser

taj - mewtwo

joe bushman - gannon

thats pretty much impossible no matter what even with items lol

and i like my doc hes sex lol not as sex as my mario... BUT SEX NONE THE LESS lol

mario-man

Smash Lord
Yeah..............................sure.......................whatever you say. LoL

mario-man

Smash Lord
I have noooo clue. LoL
Must be somebody new..........

............................................. ^^
There Matador. I fixed it. (see edit l l)

Top Bottom