• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skill Levels; What do you guys think?? Rate 'em.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Well, I've finally got the right mood to do this. XD I was going to do this like 3 weeks ago. Here it is.

n00b: This is the level that starts with you playing the game for the first time. It then leads into you learning all the basic techs. You usually get 2-3 stocked by anyone that's fairly good. Mindgames?? What are those??

novice: This is the level where you've mastered the complete basic techs and THINK that you're a pro. This is actually the level where you get comments like this: "I'm a Pro and I could 4 stock you."---"No you couldn't. You're a n00b." You hear about some of the advanced techs but think that you're too good for them. You run tight races with average casual players here. Mindgames?? Ohh....that makes sense.

Average: This is the level where you keep hearing about these things called "shorthopping","fastfalling", and "wavedashing". What the crap are those?!?! Maybe this is something you need to look into. You do, but they're too hard to do so you say that they're "stupid glitches" and you ditch them. You go to a local tourney with pretty fair players, and you make it to the 3rd round and you get ELIMINATED. Ohhh!!! Those mindgame things could really help me out here.

Above Average: This is the level where you keep seeing vids of Pros like Pc Chris, SilentWolf, Eggz, M2King, etc... and you decide that those advanced tech thingies may be worth their weight in gold. You try them and, whaddaya know, you're not as bad at them as before, so you decide that you are going to perfect them. Who knows......maybe you could be as good as them Pros too. Mindgames FTW

Very Good: This is the level where you've practiced alot of the advanced techs, and you're pretty good at them too. You become a fanboy to the Master of your main. He/She begins to show you how they got as good as they are (if you're likeable enough to be friends with them). You go to a tourney with very good players and you reach the eigth round from the finals. Mindgames!!! These are almost the only reason that you got so far in the tournament. Yeayuhhhz, I like these things!!!

Expert: Well, you've done it, at least nearly. You're well known on SWF and you get alot of recognition from the Pros. People stand by on the sidelines of a TV watching your amazing skillz. You've gotten proficient with most of the advanced techs, and your mindgames are above average. Your fanboyee is very proud of you, and starts askin' you to ditto them in a $MM. They beat you of course, but you do win a match of the set.

Pro: You rule this game. You've mastered every advanced tech and you've gotten to where people start sayin' to your opponent "You got mindgamez'd son". You've beaten your main's Master in a set, and you've gotten the top 10 in a National Tournament with alot of Pros. Mindgames are like eating-and-drinking easy to you. You are extremely well known on SWF and get A TON of recognition from your fanboyee and he even talks like you would 3 stock him.

Legend: You own this game. During matches, you can manipulate your opponent to do WHATEVER you want them to do. Your word is gospel truth when it comes to this game. If somebody posts an advice thread to somebody that's like extremely long and you post like two lines saying that they were completely wrong, nobody would get mad at you for dissing them. If you've reached this, you're likely named Eggz, SilentWolf, Pc Chris, M2King, etc...

What do you guys think??

-PM-

Smash Ace
im very good =)

great job bro but theres more legends then that you should put ect people might get mad LoL but everything is accurate good job 9/10

x4FoSho4x

Smash Ace
Stealing Many Burritos and Miscellaneous Beverages
I'm on pro... The only thing that I don't think is right is the mindgames. When I was getting better great tech skill brought me up there , and I didn't have mindgames really for all the earlier stages you mentioned. I was on like above average with no mindgames. My tech skill is better then a lot of pros though, I mastered everything really ....I got good fast and still am..im a NY smasher what do you expect?

on my way to pro..

Banks

Smash Hero
I don't know if this list describes the progression of players that accurately >_>

Elen

Smash Lord
I don't know if this list describes the progression of players that accurately >_>
Honestly, it's pretty accurate in my opinion. Come up with a section in a smash career that doesn't fit into any of these categories. I'd say this is pretty thorough.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Describes me...I dunno where I am tho...somewhere between pro and legend XD
Nice job polishin it off Mario Mayne!!

Banks

Smash Hero
Honestly, it's pretty accurate in my opinion. Come up with a section in a smash career that doesn't fit into any of these categories. I'd say this is pretty thorough.
well i mean having people watch you play matches and being popular doesn't make you an expert. that is largely irrelevant.

Elen

Smash Lord
well i mean having people watch you play matches and being popular doesn't make you an expert. that is largely irrelevant.
Directly speaking, your correct. However, people watching you and recognizing you does most likely link to your skill level to some extent.

Banks

Smash Hero
Directly speaking, your correct. However, people watching you and recognizing you does most likely link to your skill level to some extent.
I suppose there is a correlation of some sort, but there are a lot of well known players that are good but aren't THAT good, and just because they are famous doesn't make them an expert v_V

Elen

Smash Lord
I suppose there is a correlation of some sort, but there are a lot of well known players that are good but aren't THAT good, and just because they are famous doesn't make them an expert v_V
But if they're part of the community for long enough, they'll become famous to some extent. And he never stated that being well known immediately implies that you have a high level of skill. Just that it's possible it somehow correlates.

Banks

Smash Hero
well another thing is, i think to be a pro you don't need to be as godly as that is describing. youre not a pro until you've beaten your main's master in a set? meh i think you just need to be on power rankings lmfaooo

Elen

Smash Lord
well another thing is, i think to be a pro you don't need to be as godly as that is describing. youre not a pro until you've beaten your main's master in a set? meh i think you just need to be on power rankings lmfaooo
Well I suppose he does have an awkward opinion of pro. It's possible he should have it be a bit more open than that. However, it never states what your main's master actually implies. He might not be referring to the absolute best of that character, as much as someone else who is power ranked or considered pro with them.

Banks

Smash Hero
i just think that if you are top ten or whatever in your region, you are a pro. LEWLS

anyhow, i guess these categories are somewhat true in a way, but they could probly be better if someone with more knowledge of smash progression wrote them out.

Elen

Smash Lord
i just think that if you are top ten or whatever in your region, you are a pro. LEWLS

anyhow, i guess these categories are somewhat true in a way, but they could probly be better if someone with more knowledge of smash progression wrote them out.
Well what if your top ten in a crappy community?? Are you still pro o.O

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
I must disagree with this because there are wayyyyyyyyyy to many variants. People grow/ learn at totally different rates. Also there isn't anyway this could be made official. But anyways I liked it hehe it was kinda entertaining . At least waht i read

Smash Master
I think that the progression shows mindgames growing at a much faster rate than technical skill, whihc doesn't happen for a lot of players.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Alright guys, I'm back. If you have any suggestions to fix it, post it. If I get enough people who say the same thing, I'll change it. I'm kinda excited. I posted something soooo good that people are debating over it. XD

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
I like this, but I think that more can be added about character selection, here goes:

1. Noob: You make your character selection depending upon either A. Who you liked in SSB64, then you realize that it is a COMPLETELY different game and then you probably B. Choose a character based on the strength/speed of their smash attack, and ease of recovery. At this point, you probably just know the basics of their movesets, maybe.

2. Novice: You have beaten the game on Hard, maybe Very Hard, and you probably used Fox, and just lazer spammed (u know what im talkin about). You have learned when to use different smash attacks with your character, you may have even discovered that you can edge-hog. You have your main character, and then possibly a secondary, who you are decent with (in your own opinion, in fact you probably stink with them).

3. Average: You are starting to get pretty good with your main, maybe you start to ledgehop->attack, and you feel that maybe you have maximized your abilities with your main (wrong), so you start to practice with your secondary, maybe even practice with a few more characters. Then you hear about advanced techs, or check out SWF.

4. Above Average: Now is where things start to come together. You practice advanced techs with your main, but you are REALLY struggling to implement them in your game. In fact, your game might become worse for a while as you try to implement these techs in your game (i know mine did) but hang in there, everything is going to click soon...Oh yeah, and all that time spent trying to master advanced techs with your main, and you have probably forgotten about your secondary, just trying to improve you main (this is what happened to me, maybe not the case for others)

5. Very Good: WOW those advanced techs REALLY do help out when you learn when to use them. You have gotten good with your main, and depending on who it is, maybe AGAIN you feel like there is not a whole lot of room for improvement (and you are wrong again). You start to read guides/watch vids on other characters, and you begin to pick up 5-6 (maybe more, maybe less) other characters, and you are amazed at how easily you can now play with them. You might even pick one up who you think you can improve more than your main...

6. Expert: Here you go, pwning Above Average kids with close to half of the characters in smash...Who woulda ever thought that you could hand out beatings with this many characters? As far as your main goes, you are set to counter pick a decent amount of people, and you probably have a tourny character (probably top tier) and a friendlies character (maybe who u started out with, if you mained a middle-lower tier character at beginning)

7. Pro: Yeah, you can play with nearly everyone, beat experts with 4-5 characters, and you main a couple of the top tiers, and you can also counter pick very well. You also probably have a low tier character who you can win low tier tournaments with.

8. Legend: You can play with ANYONE, and beat Above Avg. -> Experts with nearly any character. You can take on most Pros with half of the characters in your arsenal, you are just unstoppable. Your MAIN can not be touched.

Note: Expert and above are really more of speculation, b/c i would not consider myself an expert. I understand that most experts and above are going to main 1 character in tournys, but I also imagine that they are very good with most of the other characters b/c of their extensive knowledge of the game and mind games. This list probably isnt the case for some players, but I think that its a pretty good addition to what has been written, and generally it is fairly accurate. Also, I realize that the Legend status is absurd, ken, M2K and others still lose periodically (to each other) and can lose stock to lesser players. I would almost argue that not many people are going to reach legendary status with ssbm b/c it is so competitive, and it has an evolving tier system/game play. I would argue that Isai (malva) is legendary status of ssb64, and no one has come along to demolish the competition like that for ssbm (I know they are completely different games, im just giving an example).

Flame on...

Edit: I mean the legendary status I described, not Mario-Man's when I talk about an unreachable level. I kind of mean legendary status as a God type status, meaning undisputed best.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't think I'm actually fitting into any of those categories. It might have something to do with not owning a Gamecube and not really getting anything more than entertainment out of watching videos, yet still being able to perform the basic "advanced techniques" and destroying all the random rolldancers/smashwalkers out there.

-PM-

Smash Ace
annokoku you remind me of my doubles partner he doesnt own a GC but he destroys everyone that i introduce him to lol including me =/

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
If the last bit of what you say is true, your probably average - above average. I can perform pretty much every commonly used advanced tech in the game w/o thinking about it, and I wouldn't rate myself V.Good.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
What do I think?

I think these kinds of threads are pretty pointless. It's too ambiguous what the difference between things like "above average" and "very good" is. And who cares, really? There's really only 3 levels of skill that are important, which Cactuar summed up in one of his posts: worse than you, better than you, and equal. These are the only things that are relevant when deciding who to money match, and crap like that.. All players below a certain level will always lose tournaments that have people that know what they're doing in attendance. And everyone, even the best players, have things that they can improve (if nothing else, then to become undefeatable).

Plus, different players will develop certain skills faster. I've seen players that can't do any advanced techniques who are better than some who can. And some players will defeat players that are supposed to be better than the ones they always lose to, because of character matchups and experience. This makes it hard to put an exact measure on skill level, other than the 3 relevant levels, relative to your skill.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
I agree that the levels are pretty ambiguous, and yeah, it really doesnt make much of a difference what "level" you think you are at. It might BE pointless to try and break it all down into levels like that, but 2/3 of the threads on here are pretty pointless.

mario-man

Smash Lord
@ Rapid Assassin
You're not supposed to base your life off of this. It's just there to cririque. As far as what you said, it is true that the only TRUE important thing is how good they are compared to you. However, it's not any fun to have only three skill levels, therefore I broke them down to more detailed descriptions, and posted them. If you have a problem with it, then that's your thing to deal with. I'm not trying to discount certain things that have been said, but I don't want to be anhilated by everyone who thinks it sux. Like I said, if you think something should be slightly altered, post it and if I get enough responses that agree with it, I'll change it.

-PM-

Smash Ace
@ Rapid Assassin
You're not supposed to base your life off of this. It's just there to cririque. As far as what you said, it is true that the only TRUE important thing is how good they are compared to you. However, it's not any fun to have only three skill levels, therefore I broke them down to more detailed descriptions, and posted them. If you have a problem with it, then that's your thing to deal with. I'm not trying to discount certain things that have been said, but I don't want to be anhilated by everyone who thinks it sux. Like I said, if you think something should be slightly altered, post it and if I get enough responses that agree with it, I'll change it.
owned LoL eh the people that are flaming you are prolly the people that know all the techs and still lose all the games =P

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
owned LoL eh the people that are flaming you are prolly the people that know all the techs and still lose all the games =P
Don't hate on Emmy. And don't make assumptions, either.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
I think I'm very good or above average... but I do really ****ty in tournaments... maybe thats because the people that go to the tournaments I go to got 25th-32nd place at 0c3....no johns though..i guess

mario-man

Smash Lord

Well what if your top ten in a crappy community?? Are you still pro o.O
Elendil has a point and hey at least mario man tryed i think its alright
That's why I stated that in order for it to be of any relevance that you placed high in a tourney, it's got to be an area where there's alot of at least Very Good players.

Top Bottom