• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

skill differences in Brawls online

JoseOle92

Smash Apprentice
Of course everyone here knows of Brawls online capabilities and of course we are all excited. :grin: Once you start it up you have two choices: With Friends OR With Anyone.

If you choose the With Anyone option you get two more options: Basic Brawl and Team Battle. Then it takes you straight to the character selection screen...
There is nothing inbetween that separates the pros from the noobs. No one can deny that Sakurai doesn't know of the advanced techniques in the ssb series, but how can he not put divisions? Why not add at least one more screen that says: Beginner, Intermediate, Expert or whatever? Even a ranking system would work.

Personally I think that is a serious flaw in Brawls online experience. Even if it is fun, I don't want to be pwning noobs all day, I want to fight players around my level or higher without having to deal with annoying friend codes. Maybe he just hasn't told us about it yet? Hopefully.
What are your thoughts?

hopefully no one has already posted this. I searched it and found nothing.

pirkid

Smash Lord
The online we have right now is rubbish. Sure, I'm happy that we actually got online capabilities, but those capabilities are complete and utter nonsense. Gambling on people you've never seen before? No leader-boards...rankings...even levels?

For a game like SSBB, the possibilities is endless for online, yet we're not getting it. Which is bull****.

Lipucd

Smash Apprentice
The online we have right now is rubbish. Sure, I'm happy that we actually got online capabilities, but those capabilities are complete and utter nonsense. Gambling on people you've never seen before? No leader-boards...rankings...even levels?

For a game like SSBB, the possibilities is endless for online, yet we're not getting it. Which is bull****.
Bleah...Its Nintendo, NOT Microsoft or Sony...

Nintendo has always been uptight with there internet and I think Sakuri knows this. Tell the truth I would find it hard to understand alot of that stuff ( like name's being off for anyone, lack of leader boards, ect. ) was Sakuri's intentions in the first place. >_>;

Pokemon Battle Revolution got shafted the same way IMO, and I can guess other online games will be the same...>_>;

Hitzel

Smash Ace
From what I understand, Gamespy is going to be handling Brawl's matchmaking.

Matchmaking is system that takes players from a player "bucket" and groups them together to create the most ideal matches for all players based on skill level, connection, etc.

I have a feeling that Brawl will work like some Xbox games such as Shadowrun and Halo where you have a hidden skill level that no one can see that is used only to find opponents of similar skill to you. Shadowrun uses this system exclusively and it works out very well. I actually prefer it.

Either way, I can see now that I'm going to be gravitating to friends matches for Brawl. I'm a competitive-minded player, so I most likely won't be able to play against random players with mass items on "undesirable" maps for a majority of my time playing without getting bored and/or frustrated. I enjoy a good mental workout. I'll most likely have to play with other competitive players by more consistent settings to get that.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Either way, I can see now that I'm going to be gravitating to friends matches for Brawl. I'm a competitive-minded player, so I most likely won't be able to play against random players with mass items on "undesirable" maps for a majority of my time playing without getting bored and/or frustrated. I enjoy a good mental workout. I'll most likely have to play with other competitive players by more consistent settings to get that.

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
Cmon everyone whats the chances of you playing a noob three times in a row...plus you should do stock like i'ma do..just kill them easy stop acting like everyone doesn't know how to play...i'ma laugh when these "NOOBS" are the one pawning you every match

JoseOle92

Smash Apprentice
Cmon everyone whats the chances of you playing a noob three times in a row...plus you should do stock like i'ma do..just kill them easy stop acting like everyone doesn't know how to play...i'ma laugh when these "NOOBS" are the one pawning you every match
well i the majority of smash players probably aren't competitive or even know what advanced techniques are. so its probably not that unlikely to face 3 noobs in a row

stepmaniers13

Smash Cadet
Why not add at least one more screen that says: Beginner, Intermediate, Expert or whatever? Even a ranking system would work.
Two flaws here:

1) Ranking system plus another screen for selecting difficulty = skillful players always choosing Beginner to boost their ranking (you may not, but who is to say that Mr. Bully wouldn't?).
2) The focus for online play isn't for playing the same ruleset against the same type of players, but to allow everyone to play everyone under all sorts of rules, which is Sakurai's intentions I'm sure.

Sure you will probably fight new players. So what? You have a friend's list if you want specific rules or skill levels. If your friends aren't online tough luck. Gotta' grin and bear it I guess.

ricydafrog

Smash Journeyman
personally i would be satisfied (not overjoyed, satisfied) to get the same online that we get with Mario Strikers Charged. but no. he won't even give us that

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
well i the majority of smash players probably aren't competitive or even know what advanced techniques are. so its probably not that unlikely to face 3 noobs in a row
Yea but the thing about Brawl is you arn't guarenteed a win against anyone..Final Smashes,Pokeball, AT's, if your opponent gets these the odd it will great damage to you is great then smash attack...but iono...if you want just play me i'll just whoop you over and over again....

JoseOle92

Smash Apprentice
Two flaws here:

1) Ranking system plus another screen for selecting difficulty = skillful players always choosing Beginner to boost their ranking (you may not, but who is to say that Mr. Bully wouldn't?).
2) The focus for online play isn't for playing the same ruleset against the same type of players, but to allow everyone to play everyone under all sorts of rules, which is Sakurai's intentions I'm sure.

Sure you will probably fight new players. So what? You have a friend's list if you want specific rules or skill levels. If your friends aren't online tough luck. Gotta' grin and bear it I guess.
well for your first flaw, sakurai could make it so that you have a separate rank for each level. kinda like halo does with lone wolves, doubles, and team slayer. no i'm not comparing them, i'm just giving an example.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Of course everyone here knows of Brawls online capabilities and of course we are all excited. :grin: Once you start it up you have two choices: With Friends OR With Anyone.

If you choose the With Anyone option you get two more options: Basic Brawl and Team Battle. Then it takes you straight to the character selection screen...
There is nothing inbetween that separates the pros from the noobs. No one can deny that Sakurai doesn't know of the advanced techniques in the ssb series, but how can he not put divisions? Why not add at least one more screen that says: Beginner, Intermediate, Expert or whatever? Even a ranking system would work.

Personally I think that is a serious flaw in Brawls online experience. Even if it is fun, I don't want to be pwning noobs all day, I want to fight players around my level or higher without having to deal with annoying friend codes. Maybe he just hasn't told us about it yet? Hopefully.
What are your thoughts?

First of all, how could you say that Sakurai is unaware of the advanced technique's in Smash Bros.? Are you serious? Sakurai stated himself (you can read this in Samurai Panda's translation thread) that the developers of Brawl had over 10,000 versus matches on their memory card. They played the game whenever possible, on every break. Do you honestly think they played that much without learning competitive techniques? I mean Japan has a competitive scene too, y'know? Besides, don't you think Sakurai would want to know everything about how people are playing his game?

Second, the vast majority of Smash players are scrubs and n00bs. This was true for both Smash 64 and Melee. Look at this. Melee sold over 6,000,000 units worldwide, but there are maybe just a 100,000 or so competitive players in the world. That's quite a bit less than 1 %. Most people who play Smash are completely unaware of the competitive community and advanced techniques. If these facts hold true for Brawl (and I don't see why Brawl would have more competitive players than Melee), no matter what rating/leaderboards system Nintendo implemented, the vast majority of people you'd face online would be n00bs. Even with names or whatever, you'd have quite a hard time meeting competitive, AT using players online.

Byron X

Smash Journeyman
At least we got ONLINE Im thankful for that and not complaining. I can always improvise.

JoseOle92

Smash Apprentice
First of all, how could you say that Sakurai is unaware of the advanced technique's in Smash Bros.? Are you serious? Sakurai stated himself (you can read this in Samurai Panda's translation thread) that the developers of Brawl had over 10,000 versus matches on their memory card. They played the game whenever possible, on every break. Do you honestly think they played that much without learning competitive techniques? I mean Japan has a competitive scene too, y'know? Besides, don't you think Sakurai would want to know everything about how people are playing his game?

Second, the vast majority of Smash players are scrubs and n00bs. This was true for both Smash 64 and Melee. Look at this. Melee sold over 6,000,000 units worldwide, but there are maybe just a 100,000 or so competitive players in the world. That's quite a bit less than 1 %. Most people who play Smash are completely unaware of the competitive community and advanced techniques. If these facts hold true for Brawl (and I don't see why Brawl would have more competitive players than Melee), no matter what rating/leaderboards system Nintendo implemented, the vast majority of people you'd face online would be n00bs. Even with names or whatever, you'd have quite a hard time meeting competitive, AT using players online.
no i did not say he is not aware of it, read it carefully over again.
and yes it would be hard meeting competitive players online, thats why i made this.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
So what, if they add it it won't make a difference

People that are good in ssb and get it would still have to play against players that aren't as good.
Players that aren't that good could play with friends and get their rank up.

Just play with friends. If none are online then plan something. The whole game isn't about playing online the whole time anyways.

Shishou

Smash Apprentice
Get friend codes of people who are good and wanna play, using online boards. Such as the one you are using now.

Or play real people who are good. Random online is for people with no friends who just wanna play. Usually noobs.

Zek

Smash Ace
Give me a break, guys. We're posting on SmashBoards. The de facto internet forum for high-level Smash play. And you're complaining that you can't find any skilled players to play with online? I'm sure there will be a lot of people willing to organize friend groups and whatnot based on skill level. If you're good enough that strangers don't put up a good fight anymore, just play Friends games. And as the game gets older, bad players will probably stop playing random matches as skilled players become more prevalent and unskilled ones get tired of the game.

Personally I'm thankful there's no ranking system. That sort of crap brings out the worst in people, everyone just takes it way too seriously. I like that I can play however I want with whatever character I want without worrying about maintaining my rating, even if I just feel like screwing around.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Everyone takes it too seriously now.

There's a freaking dictionary filled with terminology made by smash players.
Wave-dashing? WTH is that anyways. I don't wave dash, and I'm not that bad at playing the game.

When I watch videos on youtube (melee ones), I fear for having to play brawl, because all people do are roll away every 50 milliseconds.

IT'S A GAME, NOT A LIFESTYLE!

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
From what I understand, Gamespy is going to be handling Brawl's matchmaking.

Matchmaking is system that takes players from a player "bucket" and groups them together to create the most ideal matches for all players based on skill level, connection, etc.

I have a feeling that Brawl will work like some Xbox games such as Shadowrun and Halo where you have a hidden skill level that no one can see that is used only to find opponents of similar skill to you. Shadowrun uses this system exclusively and it works out very well. I actually prefer it.

I agree with the entire post. I suspect individual Smash Bros friend codes will be used to determine your win/loss ratio, and you will play people on a similar level as you (as far as your win percentage).

I also expect to predominantly play with friends, but I might go over and see how I do in anyone mode on occasion.

Zek

Smash Ace
I agree with the entire post. I suspect individual Smash Bros friend codes will be used to determine your win/loss ratio, and you will play people on a similar level as you (as far as your win percentage).

I also expect to predominantly play with friends, but I might go over and see how I do in anyone mode on occasion.
Sakurai was pretty explicit... "There will also be no battle records kept for this mode, so whether you win or lose, it doesn’t matter. Just sit back and play."

Thi0s

Smash Apprentice
Personally having some sort of filter as to what skill level your playing against would be some sort of amazing! (I can finally win =P)
However, I think Sakurai doesn't want to create divisions to separate the smash players. Sakurai implemented Online play for the sole purpose of playing with people that aren't computers.

evilflame101

Smash Journeyman

What are your thoughts?

there are things wrong with wifi, but this isnt one of them, past online games have not done this with nintendo, so why start now, i sugest trading fc's with ppl here and just playing them...

Top Bottom