• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SJR....Why Don't We Abuse It?

Cheezey

Smash Rookie
This is an identical post to what I, Dylan, put on AiB.

Luigi is a great character, but frankly, he has 0 AT's. Zero. Zilch. Nada. If that's not true, please inform me, because I would like some AT's. For those of you who don't know what SJR is, check this thread.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173119

There may also be a thread somewhere here on AiB, but I don't know where it is, so I'm not going to link it. If you notice the list...ALL of Luigi's aerials are ISJRable. That's right, all of them. They all also have fast fall and multi-air, although I dont know what multi-air is. But seriously...we could make some great use out of this. Being able to be in the air at ALL times would do wonders for Luigi's approach, mindgames, and basically everything.

The only real concern I would have with this technique would be using it a lot and then getting knocked off stage mid-SJR and being left without a double jump to recover.

But anywho, seriously, could somebody answer why we don't do this? And when we realize that we need to, let's make up some strats for it and bump Luigi up, becuase right now, his tier position is absolutely absurd (check the new tier list....its on page 342 of AiB tier discussion I believe, I don't think the thread is updated yet. It's also on smashboards and the wiki. We're pretty ****in' low, so lets fix this).

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1

Luigi is a great character, but frankly, he has 0 AT's. Zero. Zilch. Nada. If that's not true, please inform me, because I would like some AT's. For those of you who don't know what SJR is, check this thread.

There may also be a thread somewhere here on AiB, but I don't know where it is, so I'm not going to link it. If you notice the list...ALL of Luigi's aerials are ISJRable. That's right, all of them. They all also have fast fall and multi-air, although I dont know what multi-air is. But seriously...we could make some great use out of this. Being able to be in the air at ALL times would do wonders for Luigi's approach, mindgames, and basically everything.

The only real concern I would have with this technique would be using it a lot and then getting knocked off stage mid-SJR and being left without a double jump to recover.

But anywho, seriously, could somebody answer why we don't do this? And when we realize that we need to, let's make up some strats for it and bump Luigi up, becuase right now, his tier position is absolutely absurd (check the new tier list....its on page 342 of AiB tier discussion I believe, I don't think the thread is updated yet. It's also on smashboards and the wiki. We're pretty ****in' low, so lets fix this).
Luigi's tier list position is caused by lack of tournament Luigi players, and the fact that we don't place well. Luigi players need to start KOing before 100% and using lots of buffering and crawldashing, keep things going quick. If we take too long, well then its easy for us to get screwed over because we get so predictable

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
LoI typing on a PSP is so gay. Anyways the ISJ isnt really worth wasting time on. Its rly hard to pull for most ppl. The ratio between the reward and learning/devotion/time/effort is rly unbalanced compared to wavedash in Melee ratio which is y u nvr c it common in matchs. But i noe how u feel bout the lack of ATs.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I'd rather buffer a move on the ground than catch the one/two frames where I'm limited to buffering another second jump (even if it's infinite). That AT came and went, the official thread hasn't been updated since September. It's like what Hippie said, too impractical. I suppose if one person got it and really got good with it...it would be crazy, According to that thread, Meta can fast fall ISJ all his aerials. Of course, since I haven't seen any Metas do this, I assume it was just not worth it.

Vist

Smash Champion

it's pretty much been said already but...

I don't think SJR and ISJR aerials have much potential for being used very often imo. The only thing I could see this helping with possibly is against people trying to grab you where they predict you'll land. I think you pointed out a pretty big weakness of it which is the glaring potential to get hit and left to land and/or recover without a 2nd jump. I have yet to see either be used by any character in high-level play.

Anyway, I've tried doing this with luigi for like an hour once a while back and couldn't get it, but i could pull it off with the characters they had vids for. It was a frustrating experience lol..

Btw, multi-air just means that you can pull off each aerial at least twice in one SJR/ISJR jump.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Seeming as the ISJR/SJR is very difficult to pull off, as hippie said, it's risk to reward ratio won't really change how we play etc.

Now there is a way to recover your second jump which is with the use of Luigi's "infinite" Tornado which recovers his second jump as well as the ability to do another rising tornado if you are on stage. Either way, by the looks of it, this seems very impractical and even if you recover your second jump it won't really affect how you play.

Cheezey

Smash Rookie
****, I thought maybe this would be what we could use to get Luigi's metagame up and kicking. Seriously, we need to get it going...Luigi is a great character, he's just underrated in my opinion. Honestly, I'm close to switching to Wario due to their similar aerial-based playstyles and Wario's general superiority because Luigi is just so inactive.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
How is Wario>Luigi? I mean, honestly, Luigi is an awesome character, yet his tourney status sucks. Why a character who I can't even stand instead of WEEGEE?! Man...

Delvro

Smash Ace
SJRing is extremely difficult... I gave the technique hours upon hours of practice back in november... and even then I can only do it successfully about 1 in every 10 jumps. The gain is pretty small compared to buffering moves, which gives you more options (like jabbing and grabbing)

Although it would be nice to SJR for variety, that would be all I'd use it for... when they expect a FFAD buffer or random aerial or whatever.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
****, I thought maybe this would be what we could use to get Luigi's metagame up and kicking. Seriously, we need to get it going...Luigi is a great character, he's just underrated in my opinion. Honestly, I'm close to switching to Wario due to their similar aerial-based playstyles and Wario's general superiority because Luigi is just so inactive.
Yeah, dropping your main just like that really's gonna get his metagame running smoothly
-_-. We got to ban together and raise his metagame! One step at a time...

Deoxys

Smash Lord
According to that thread, Meta can fast fall ISJ all his aerials. Of course, since I haven't seen any Metas do this, I assume it was just not worth it.
No way, you can do that? For sure?! I find six jumps is enough for me though, but IDK that MK players know this.

Top Bottom