• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Situational set up for nana lock + something else

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5MF1-W2r6I&feature=channel_page

Video of the nana lock plus DHGR at the ledge, which can be DI'd, but if you have a banana behind where you DH them, your opponent picks their poison.

When your opponent has a shield up, you can use down b (away from your opponent so it hits his shield, and with a banana in your hand), then side b latch onto your opponent. What will happen is, when the banana bounces and hits him while you latch onto him, they will instant break and trip. You then banana lock them.

Inescapable I think.

the other thing is if your opponent has a banana behind them, you can latch (side b) onto them, grab release, and then dsmash them.

OPPONENT CAN DI THE GRAB RELEASE

Grabs don't work with grab releasing on a banana because, one if your opponent has slow instincts you could throw a banana at them if you have a banana in your hand to get closer to the edge when killing. And two the spacing for grabs is really tough. If you grab your opponent with a banana behind them, the banana doesnt stay there. It has to be far away for it to work, but Diddy hump has easy spacing for it.

if you have questions ask, it's really simple but i didnt really explain it well enough imo. I will have vids up by tomorrow if anyone wants a visual.

Just another mixup for opponents trying to avoid getting hit by bananas with their shield.

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
Cool beans. O:

Never did try anything besides Fsmash/Dtilt/Dsmash out of the monkey hump release.

PhatyCHONG

Smash Apprentice
When your opponent has a shield up, you can use down b (away from your opponent so it hits his shield, and with a banana in your hand), then side b latch onto your opponent. What will happen is, when the banana bounces and hits him while you latch onto him, they will instant break and trip. You then banana lock them.
Just tested this out. . . nice little gimic, situational :D

Helps
- Work better with a smash banana draw, so you have more time
- You can do it with a regular banana draw but you have to be fast, especially with characters that are tall such as donkey kong, snake ect.
- You can do this with a nana in your hand! when grab leased for more combos
- Falco?

Add on
- Little more practically for a situation but, same concept You could do this if timed correctly
ex: Glide toss UP normally like you would but, bait your opponet and when he is about to cross the banana path going vertical, "Side B" latch

the other thing is if your opponent has a banana behind them, you can latch (side b) onto them, grab release, and then dsmash them.
Just Tested this out and there just ONE thing wrong. . . : (

If a banana is behind your opponet and you "side B" latch onto them THEY are in control on whether they want to DI Left or Right while being latched. [ex: Just go to Training put the damage to a high percent, because the lower the damage means less you latch onto your opponet, after you latch onto your opponet and control the direction with the opponets controller] If your oppenet is being release and he hits the banana its just bad DI.

CREDITS: To PaoOl for discovering this awhile back

Player-1

Smash Legend
yeah sounds cool, but the opponents will be able to get out of them with the Diddy Hump DI that PaoOl discovered way back. Your opponent controls the movement of the Diddy hump, not you, but most people don't know that =)

DFEAR

Smash Hero
yeah sounds cool, but the opponents will be able to get out of them with the Diddy Hump DI that PaoOl discovered way back. Your opponent controls the movement of the Diddy hump, not you, but most people don't know that =)
just like the bowsercide. is it % based too? or is it completely in the opponents control? if so i would believe people would normally just mash everything like any other grab so it be irrelevant

Player-1

Smash Legend
just like the bowsercide. is it % based too? or is it completely in the opponents control? if so i would believe people would normally just mash everything like any other grab so it be irrelevant
the higher the percent, the more easy it is to DI in a certain direction, you have 0 say in which you go

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
BoRn has been doing this Diddy-Hump-grab-release-onto-a-banana-peel **** to me in dittos for quite some time now. Also, I've experimented quite a bit with using the arc of the banana peel pull for this specific trap and others, although many people have already started to avoid it simply by air-dodge-catching the banana peel.

My favorite variation of this is to do a retreating smash banana peel pull once my opponents have given chase; usually, I'll have another banana peel in my hand and I'll just throw it backwards while in the air, and both banana peels will connect with a decent rate of success. Sometimes I cross myself up when I misread which way the arced banana peel will trip my opponents.

On another note, I will usually purposely throw time-decayed banana peels off the stage in-between opponents' stocks in order to set up these arced banana peel traps. Many people you will encounter will often not be good at item management as you are, and will sometimes throw banana peels off-stage for fear of having it used against themselves. A previously dominant myth about pulling out new banana peels is that it becomes a needless waste of time and puts Diddy Kong in a bad position; contrary to that, pulling out new banana peels is often one of the scenarios where I thrive the most. The generally slow trajectory of both peanuts and banana peels allow you to zone air space more effectively; retreating banana peel pulls are one of many great and safe ways to protect yourself while doing so.

The nice thing about these setups is that while they are situational, they are actually not a very rare occurrence for me. The opportunity to deploy these setups will occur more and more often if you are able to cultivate reactionary aggression in your opponent; this entails generally forcing your opponents to approach because you are being annoying/doing typical Diddy Kong ****. Even the smartest opponents will fall for variations of these banana pull setups time after time again, just because they feel compelled to push through your barrage of projectiles to make contact.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this topic up anyway. Traps like these need to be further investigated, regardless of novelty.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
The first thing you can't DI because it's instant. the second was my bad, i forgot they could DI the DHGR.

and the purpose is to HAVE a banana in hand when doing this, so you can banana lock.

Also I forgot to mention yesterday, I did the side b latch onto instant banana from the air (My first thing I said) at the ledge, and if you DI away from the stage, you might be able to footstool the opponent :p. I didn't really test it but it seems promising.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
It was wifi <_<. I think it's inescapable. Cause after watching the video, it seems like I waited and it wasn't lag.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Moar Advancement of Diddy!!! :)

Just one thing Yoshididdy: In the second part of your video vs Wario at the end of the combo where you dash attacked > spike. Instead of dash attacking Wario couldnt you have done the DHGR footstool/Fair at the edge of the stage?? That seems more guaranteed than dash > attack spike, especially if its a "true combo." Just asking???

-L-

Player-1

Smash Legend
Moar Advancement of Diddy!!! :)

Just one thing Yoshididdy: In the second part of your video vs Wario at the end of the combo where you dash attacked > spike. Instead of dash attacking Wario couldnt you have done the DHGR footstool/Fair at the edge of the stage?? That seems more guaranteed than dash > attack spike, especially if its a "true combo." Just asking???

-L-
I would have done the GR>Dair ^.^

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
spike just looks better. And Dfear, you know what you talkin about? GRab release as in grab grab release not DHGR lol.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
spike just looks better. And Dfear, you know what you talkin about? GRab release as in grab grab release not DHGR lol.
oh fuuuuuu-- nvm them xD haha. gh>fair it is then :p
and i agree with the acronym thing. thought gr meant grab release after the intital DH O_<

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
We all really should go MK...they have less things to acronyms to know too.
:(

sirchadakiss18

Smash Journeyman
I've known about this for awhile now and do banana setups in training mode, there's a simpler way for this to be excuted, all this here is just extra and very situational to say the least, the easier way you ask? when your upclose to tripped/slipped opponent with a banana in hand you can Monkey Flip on him WHILE he is in the sitting/tripping animation, so this combo here is very situational, the one I just told you cuts down the extra work by 50%

oJo

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Your way won't happen. First of all, it isn't a grab release, second of all nobody will get hit by a side b kick while being tripped. There's way too much start up lag for that to happen.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
and it's "MFGR" :p
:laugh: no

I think he was saying Monkey Flip Kick > Barely touch the stage but fall off to cancel the lag > Footstool. I don't believe tripping was involved in that, or am I talking about the wrong thing? :confused:

EDIT: Wow, lol, I didn't even read sircha's other post that you were responding to. Yeah, that shouldn't happen. Ignore me kthx

sirchadakiss18

Smash Journeyman
Your way won't happen. First of all, it isn't a grab release, second of all nobody will get hit by a side b kick while being tripped. There's way too much start up lag for that to happen.
go to training mode and glidetoss foward very close to your opponent then side B, once you latch on to him he can either DI foward or backward slipping on either banana thats infront or in back of him, assuming that you have your bananas layed out perfectly...ITS A TRAP!!

and MFGR means Monkey Flip Grab Release, I Dubbed it that in the Diddy group made on AIB by Nanerz TOA, I don't know why people call it "Diddy hump" that's not the official name of the move :/ Monkey Flip kick is the name of the other move, I guess we have to call that the "Diddy hump Kick" amirite?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I explained the difference between Monkey Flip and Diddy Hump in the other thread.
As for GT Forward to Diddy Hump, I think what yoshididdy is trying to say is that it wont work on human opponents cause they have enough time to just roll outve the trip before you can hit with the Side-B. The MF/DH (whatever you want to call it) has to much startup lag for it to combo outve a trip.

Top Bottom