• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Singing for Paradise Chorus Kids for Smash

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm in the camp thinking that the conductor will act similar to the Pokemon Trainer, though I can see them hopping into the fray from the background to do an upwards clap for either an up special or up throw.
What I'm interested in is peoples thoughts as to how the conductor/the entire character of the Chorus Kids or Glee Club would work with the stage music. Would the developers go through the entire song library and pick out important beats and moments to sync up moves to, or would they go for the less difficult but still pretty involved task of figuring out the time signature of every song included so that moves would gain power on the downbeat? Or, perhaps the easiest task, would the conductor always have similar movements regardless of the song playing on the stage?
They did that for Mother 3, so it’s not out of the realm of possibility. It’s still a lot of songs.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Kinda like what you said. I think he'd basically "cue up" certain moves to be given another input, which'd allow them grow probably stronger?

That had me then think: what if Chorus Kids' attacks would be "extendable" via button inputs, in style of Meta Knight's F-Tilt and and Bayonetta's F-Tilt and F-Air, and then allow the timing of inputs together he dictate the move's power... which'd allow some interesting conversion of RH-series' usual gameplay?

My set up would be that you'd be defaulted to one Kid only running around in general (Marshall?) - or maybe the two others trail behind him all the time, but then go disappear behind his back. RH-chars had been shown to be probably similar paper-thin characters as Mr.Game & Watch is, if looking at the RH-trophies we saw in Sm4sh Wii U.

On that end, I personally though feel three kids running huddle together would make them too big and easy target due perceived big hitbox, hence why I think it'd be better for them to just be allowing one be visible and let other two come in for attacks.

When performing the attacks, usually it'd be a swift move from the first Boy - and you can extent the move further with more inputs. However, together the blows are usually weaker, or the sizes of sourspots are bigger.

But if you press them to the right "timing", another Boy would zip in from first one's back to swiftly extent in another blow - do another well-timed input after, and 3rd one would come either for one more hit, or a devastating finisher. Maybe there's a 4th one that has them all three hit together to really bring the opponent down the building.

But how to tell when is the right input or not?

That's where the Conductor comes in. He'd be in backgrounds of any stage, and through the way he would wave his cue baton to what's right "time" to do an input, you'd see when to hit it or not.

With this, you can also alternate between weak attacks and strong attacks, allowing potential for combo strings, while giving you good sense when there's a "miss" input and "right" input: much like Rhythm Heaven-games.
On that end, good sum of these "missed inputs" could create "mishap" attacks, sorta like having the Boys mess up a move in a way that happens to hit their opponent nearby, styling after that tongue-in-cheek humor you see in RH-games when you miss a right input. Probably might go dig through the games for fitting examples.

Heck, I could see this extended to Special Moves as well that would have the characters do them as you see in RH's various games, and you're allowed to "miss" the input to an alternative move in some, though others might require to really input the move well for maximized effect.

Overall, I think Chorus Kids might hopefully be one of the currently increasing "technical" characters you'd play in Smash, along with deploying the "triple power" concept on to them. I hope there's something like that in the works, in case they seem to all ready and feasible after Sm4sh had cut the Kids out.

That sounds PERFECT! I can't wait to see how Sakurai implemented the chorus kids! I really hope they're super unique and potentially complicated. Unlike Ryu, I'll actually be motivated to play these bois!

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Is this more evidence? I love the details in this picture, and before Snake was interacting with nobody, so this makes sense!

Can't wait to see our favourite Kids in glorous HD and hopefully in their 3D models! And of course I am reaaally waiting for an amazing Rhythm Heaven stage on which I will play on a lot - even when it is crap like 75m or Pac-Land - or maybe on Final Destination / Battlefield version. Just because of the brilliance of the Rhythm Heaven song.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I reckon tying the Chorus Kids' attacks to the stage music isn't very practical for a few reasons:
- There are over 800 songs in the game, with varying tempos and time signatures, so that's a lot of music to program in tempos for.
- Tying into that, making moves work with different time signatures might be awkward, e.g. making attacks work both in 3/4 and 4/4.
- Timing moves to different beats could mess with the balance of the game. For example, the Chorus Kids might become stronger or weaker depending on the tempo of the song currently playing, due to the different timing of their attacks.
- Compared to a rhythm game, where the music is the only thing you're focusing on, a hectic game like Smash would make staying on-beat quite the challenge. It's rare that a key opportunity to hit an opponent, punish an option, etc will happen to line up with the beat of the song.

Because of this, imo it'd make more sense to have the rhythms be self-contained, if that makes sense.
Agreed wholeheartedly here. The self-contained inputs to allow rhythmic timings would be the more straightforward gameplay mechanic for everyone to pick up right away, instead of having to learn over 800 tracks' BPM to really make best use of Chorus Kids. Sounds like a disaster to me.

For example, for an up smash based on Cheer Readers, during the charge, you could hear the "O-K-it's-on" rhythm cue, and if you release the button right when you hear "on" (which would be made to line up with the one-second charge for a Smash Attack), you deal bonus damage. Maybe the bottom-screen cues from Megamix could indicate how well you timed it, or you could even get a Perfect for scoring five in a row!

Charge begins: "O"
1/3 of a second: "K"
2/3 of a second: "it's"
One second: "on!" (this is when all Smash Attacks reach full power. Release right now for a Perfect!)
Quite digging the sound of this. I just hope the Smash Attacks wouldn't have their power or overall reliability compensated because of the "input gimmicks". Charging Smashes is generally unsafe in competitive scene, unless someone does a very hard read on their opponents. So if this was to always utilize the Smash Attack's full potential, it'd end up more risky than rewarding to use.

If to adjust this further, I believe the cue's would have to be faster and allow the inputs be put on two halves as to let Chorus Kids play still safe on reading their opponent or react upon a whiff, instead of fully committing with their Smash-attacks to use them at their fullest potential,.

Basically make one uncharged Smash to cover one half of the cue ("O-K!") - and the other input would be the 2nd half of the cues ("It's On!"), which'd allow the attack to be extended with some more disjoint or power, and has a sweetspot added to it.

So first half:

1. Would have Kids do the anticipation ("O"). This is where the Up Smash is in it's chargeable state.
  2. Button is released here to let the Smash Attack execute: The Kids then pose together while stacked up, perhaps in style of The Dazzles, ("K!"), and send the opponent upwards.
The second half:
  1. Hold the button down again, and the Kids now pull up the books, and start flip them. ("It's...")
  2. Release the button in right timing - ("On!") - and the Kids throw the books up. The books would fall in consecutive arching motion to hit the opponent still in the air, probably multi-hits because the books are spinning.

Bonus Damage can be achieved if you hit to more perfect fashion, which lets the books make a picture and have more sweetspot-based damage and knockback.

3. If you miss the timing, the books would slip from the Kids' hands, and fall on the opponent's head if they happen to be close enough. The attack would of course be weaker in damage and hitstun.

With this, you can just use the Up Smash uncharged to do the (moderately read) KO:ing on your opponents in higher percents,and avoid doing followups upon whiffs. But if you hit the opponent successfully, the follow-up attack can be added in for further combo extension and allow also a snazzy finisher.

I think this is mainly for Smash Attacks, and I mainly concentrate on the Up Smash here, but hope my demonstration sounds good.

- A jab combo where the other two Chorus Kids automatically attack one after the other, then the player-controlled one follows up. In other words, the second hit is automatic, while the first and third are manual. Perform the third hit in time with the rhythm set by the second to deal bonus damage!
Not bad, but I feel like this could more work as an F-Tilt, kinda like Wolf's but 3rd input can be added to it for the final hit. Jabs tend to usually be the fastest moves in the game. and thus are used for safety reasons during defending or covering slower moves - so unless the 2nd Kid is very fast on delivering the automatic, it could be susceptible to easy grabs, since you're stuck doing two jab attacks with just one button press.

Last edited:

JUNIT

Smash Rookie
NNID
JUNITO42
3DS FC
2981-9021-9040
Lol how do I become a supporter I've wanted them for like ever

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
I've been wanting a Rhythm Heaven rep ever since I played it on the DS. I'm hoping this leak is real because the Glee Club/Chorus Kids are by far my most-anticipated of the new 7--with the exception of Banjo-Kazooie!

What I'm wondering is how exactly they're positioned around (what I assume is) the Conductor. Is the Kid on the left pulling on the Conductor's tie? The other two are clearly singing, although it's unclear how the one in the back is interacting with the Conductor. They're bunched together awfully closely, and if the tie thing is correct, the artwork really plays up the bratty, mischievous nature of the choir, which is kind of endearing. And is the Conductor facing forward, backward, or backward with his head turned towards us? Any clues or mock-ups on what exactly is happening in the artwork? I feel if we can scratch up a hidden detail (like Golden Sun fans did with Isaac's Djinni in the art), it could add more credence to this picture being the real deal.

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Welp, I'm super late. Put me down as a supporter for the Best Bois.

Ya know, I was thinking of a moveset for the Chorus Boys. Of course, from the Rhythm Heaven games. Each move having something referenced.

Neutral A - "Karate Joe" is their neutral. Chorus Kid will do the usually 3 neutral move. Hitting at perfect timing leads to a bit more damage. "POW!!" Is Karate Joe's combo move (the one with the uppercut). Holding A will lead to the POW combo, but releasing A perfectly leads to high vertical knockback. At really high percentages, POW can be a kill move.

Neutral B - Is of course Chorus's "Chorus Kids" song. Its more of a 'Back Off' move. Holding Neutral B will trigger the "Together Now!" In which you must release the B button to on time for a massive shockwave. Closer you are, more damage it does. If further away, it'll act more as 'water' where it will push you away with zero damage.

Side B - "Chameleon" acts as a tether grab. Even making the SNAP sound when it connects.

Down B - "Blue Bear" acts like a healing move. Heals 5 percent of damage. If spammed constantly, reduces to 1.

Tilts - Tilts won't be rhythm based. The moves are:

* Up Tilt - "Working Dough" will be their up tilt. Decent knock back with little damage. Only meant to keep your opponent from landing.

* Side Tilt - "Samurai Slice" is their side tilts. A quick slice, only meant to keep your opponents at bay. Low damage, but not to low.

* Down Tilt - "Tap Trio" being their down tilt. You can hear the TAP as they land their hit. If you successfully pull off 3 taps in a rhythmic succession, the last hit will do a tiny bit more damage. You can also switch sides during the taps, going back and forth.

Smash Attacks - Smash Attacks will never be rhythm base. The moves are:

* Side Smash - "Golf Course" sends the opponent flying. Holding it for longer leads to bigger damage. Decent damage at base.

* Up Smash - "Moai Doo Wop" is his Up Smash. Leads to some SERIOUS damage. Upon holding it will trigger the Doo sound cue, with Wop being the release.

* Down Smash - "Flipper Flop" being his down smash. Rolls twice starting at the left and finishing at the right.

Grabs - Only a few would be rhythm base. They are:

* Pummel - "Tambourine" would be his low damage pummel upon grab.

* Up Throw - "Love Lab" being his up throw. You can shake your opponent, almost like a pummel. Does 1 - 2 more damage than a nornal pummel. however, opponents can bust out this move much easier than the grab, so be careful. When you got the damage you want, you can throw them in the air.

* Down Throw - "Tap Troupe" being their down throw. It will ALWAYS do the TAP TAP TAP, so on 3 with perfect timing can deal a little bit more damage.

* Forward Throw - "Exhibition Match" will be his forward throw. Hitting opponents with the bat. Higher the percentage, the further they'll fly. However, they have no vertical knockback, but more horizontal knockback.

* Back Throw - "Space Soccer" will be their back throw. ALWAYS starts on 'HIGH', and if timed perfectly on 'GO', will do slightly more damage.

Aerials - Won't be rhythmic. They are:

* Neutral Air - "Air Rally" will be their Neutral Air. Decent damage with decent knock back. Nothing special.

* Up Air - "Power Calligraphy" will be his up air. If it at the sweet spot (end of the brush), will do slightly more damage. Swings the brush in an arc.

* Forward Air - "Sneaky Spirits" will be his forward air. Cannot be charged. Shoots at horizontal angle pretty fast. Small damage and little stun.

* Back Air - "Samurai Slice" will be his back move. A quick slash behind the back with more damage and knockback.

* Down Air - "Screwbot Factory" will be their down. Behaving like Kirby's, this move could easily fall flat if your last move does not connect. They spin their bodies in circles, last hit doing minimal spike damage.

Recovery - "Launch Party" is their recovery. always doing the green rocket. Counting down from 3. If timed to early, will have minimal recovery. If timed correctly, will launch at maximum height.

Well this took longer than expected. Lol. But I hope you guys like the moves I created for them.

Last edited:

CoolBob

Smash Cadet
Well, if I told you, it wouldn't be a secret!
am i the only one who hasnt gotten his hopes up?
Nope. I'm leaning towards the leak being fake, but I still really want a Rhythm Heaven character.

I've been wanting a Rhythm Heaven rep ever since I played it on the DS. I'm hoping this leak is real because the Glee Club/Chorus Kids are by far my most-anticipated of the new 7--with the exception of Banjo-Kazooie!

What I'm wondering is how exactly they're positioned around (what I assume is) the Conductor. Is the Kid on the left pulling on the Conductor's tie? The other two are clearly singing, although it's unclear how the one in the back is interacting with the Conductor. They're bunched together awfully closely, and if the tie thing is correct, the artwork really plays up the bratty, mischievous nature of the choir, which is kind of endearing. And is the Conductor facing forward, backward, or backward with his head turned towards us? Any clues or mock-ups on what exactly is happening in the artwork? I feel if we can scratch up a hidden detail (like Golden Sun fans did with Isaac's Djinni in the art), it could add more credence to this picture being the real deal.
One thing I am curious about is the fact that the Conductor seems to be pure white. That's how he looks in the actual Glee Club game, but he's also one of the Clappy Trio, who we know has a red afro. I hope they're not just 2D black and white cutouts or something (if the leak is real, that is). But yeah, I can't tell what's supposed to be going on in the banner either.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Do you think it could work if the conductor would automatically "conduct" in the background of every fight and attacks dealt more damage or did more knockback if they occurred on his cue. So you have to fight the same way you'd play a mini game in Rhythm Heaven itself.

I find the idea very interesting but it seems like it could be one of those things that might not translate well to a fighting game.

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Guys, there's a small detail that I think is interesting about the chorus kids render in the grinch leak. The conductor's red necktie. I think this is a very accurate detail that would require deep knowledge of the rhythm heaven franchise. Most people who don't know about RH or just casually played the game were probably not even aware of this necktie.

Why am I bringing this up you ask ? Well if we assume the leaker is not a rhythm heaven hardcore fan and wanted to fake a render I honestly think he wouldn't have seen such detail.
If you do a google search on the glee club / chorus kids you almost always come up with images like this one :

Where it is impossible to see the red necktie. Or where only the kids are present.

There is still a chance a fake leaker would have known about it of course, but remember other renders like the Isaac one are really on point in terms of details too. Seams very elaborate for a mere fake.

Last edited:

potato69

Smash Apprentice
Together now
wtf yeet.png

This image suddenly popped up in my head last night. Instead of keeping my cursed imagination to myself, I decided to recreate it in photoshop.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Together now
View attachment 173184
This image suddenly popped up in my head last night. Instead of keeping my cursed imagination to myself, I decided to recreate it in photoshop.
The more cursed stuff you put in this thread, the better. :)

(Just don't go to "that" cursed territory, if you know what I mean)

Last edited:

jimbozo

Smash Cadet
A little late to the partt, but I'd like to be added to the support list!
I was disappointed to see that Chrous Kids weren't playable in Smash 4, despite the hype around them and Gematsu. If this Grinch Leak is true, then I'll be having a lot of fun maining these cuties!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Guys, there's a small detail that I think is interesting about the chorus kids render in the grinch leak. The conductor's red necktie. I think this is a very accurate detail that would require deep knowledge of the rhythm heaven franchise. Most people who don't know about RH or just casually played the game were probably not even aware of this necktie.

Why am I bringing this up you ask ? Well if we assume the leaker is not a rhythm heaven hardcore fan and wanted to fake a render I honestly think he wouldn't have seen such detail.
If you do a google search on the glee club / chorus kids you almost always come up with images like this one :

Where it is impossible to see the red necktie. Or where only the kids are present.

There is still a chance a fake leaker would have known about it of course, but remember other renders like the Isaac one are really on point in terms of details too. Seams very elaborate for a mere fake.
To play devils advocate on this....

If the leak really is fake, then the level of detail that has gone into creating it would leave me to believe they did extensive research on each of the characters they included. (and that would include the cover art for the games involved, of which you can see the conductors red tie)

I still think it's a point in favour of the leak being true (I agree it's a very obscure detail), but it's nothing I'd call big either.

On a slightly different note, looking at the mural leak.....does anyone get the impression that there might be a fourth chorus kid in front of the conductor. I can't tell for sure but I think part of why the art for the Chorus Kids looks so confusing to us could be because the Chorus Kids are crowding around the conductor in an attempt to obscure him. (since the face of the conductor isn't seen in the games)

That's probably a massive stretch but I think it could be a possible reason for why they look so weird in the mural.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
To play devils advocate on this....

If the leak really is fake, then the level of detail that has gone into creating it would leave me to believe they did extensive research on each of the characters they included. (and that would include the cover art for the games involved, of which you can see the conductors red tie)

I still think it's a point in favour of the leak being true (I agree it's a very obscure detail), but it's nothing I'd call big either.

On a slightly different note, looking at the mural leak.....does anyone get the impression that there might be a fourth chorus kid in front of the conductor. I can't tell for sure but I think part of why the art for the Chorus Kids looks so confusing to us could be because the Chorus Kids are crowding around the conductor in an attempt to obscure him. (since the face of the conductor isn't seen in the games)

That's probably a massive stretch but I think it could be a possible reason for why they look so weird in the mural.
I'm pretty sure it's Ness' yo-yo, but yeah, this leak has waaaaay to much detail to be fake

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure it's Ness' yo-yo, but yeah, this leak has waaaaay to much detail to be fake
I'm not talking about the yo-yo, I'm talking about the area further down in front of the conductor.

It's really hard to figure out what's going on in that area which made me wonder if there could be another chorus kid there.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Don't think I ever posted here. I support the little buggers. And it looks like they're in a great spot! But you all knew that already ;)

I was having a discussion with some friends about who's going to die in the trailers for these characters. With that context, I'll just leave this here:

20181029_151811.jpg

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
That's more or less what I was thinking. Although I thought the white part in front of the Chorus Kids mouth on the top right was the conductors gloved hand.
Yea me too, the sketch is more like a representation of the general idea rather than on point I think.

Edit : Actually now I look deeper into it, it might actually be the kid's tongue. It would make more sens because drawing a hand covering his face like this looks like a bad design choice. The bad quality of the image leads to a lot of confusion.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Yea me too, the sketch is more like a representation of the general idea rather than on point I think.

Edit : Actually now I look deeper into it, it might actually be the kid's tongue. It would make more sens because drawing a hand covering his face like this looks like a bad design choice. The bad quality of the image leads to a lot of confusion.
Well it wasn't just the gloved hand in front of the Chorus Kids mouth. I think the part leading up to the gloved arm looks like the conductors arm as well.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Don't think I ever posted here. I support the little buggers. And it looks like they're in a great spot! But you all knew that already ;)

I was having a discussion with some friends about who's going to die in the trailers for these characters. With that context, I'll just leave this here:

View attachment 173327
But don't worry, it'll get fixed up right away!

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
I'm not sure, it looks like his leg is going across the conductor.

To me it kinda looks like he's trying to protect the conductor from the butterfly.
I've seen many people bringing the butterfly thing, but I don't get it why would they be scared of it ? I don't recall any rhythm heaven lore surrounding scary butterflies.

Scorchingwater

Smash Rookie
I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this before, but do you think if the chorus kids are in the game with the conductor, that they’ll go by the name Glee club?

Jonofunu

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jonofunu
3DS FC
0516-7588-9474
I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this before, but do you think if the chorus kids are in the game with the conductor, that they’ll go by the name Glee club?
Glee club is not their name, because it is the name of the place.

When I played my Rhythm Heaven DS it appears from the list of characters that have official names in the final credits.

Credits RH part 1.png

Chorus kids are trio as one of three as playable, the conductor is not with them while he is at the end that is teaching the general of the blue birds. Because his name is not on the list.

Credits RH part 2.png

Scorchingwater

Smash Rookie
Glee club is not their name, because it is the name of the place.

When I played my Rhythm Heaven DS it appears from the list of characters that have official names in the final credits.

View attachment 173376

Chorus kids are trio as one of three as playable, the conductor is not with them while he is at the end that is teaching the general of the blue birds. Because his name is not on the list.

View attachment 173378
I wasn’t aware, I’ve really only played a little bit of Rhythm Heaven. Tbh the chorus kids are my most anticipated fighter if this leak is true. If it’s not too much trouble I’d like to be added to the list of supporters.

Dibble

Smash Cadet
if there really is the four of them i imagine thatll be quite a large amiibo
Do we know if Pokémon Trainer is getting an amiibo? I wonder if it would just be Red, or if it would actually get all characters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Do we know if Pokémon Trainer is getting an amiibo? I wonder if it would just be Red, or if it would actually get all characters.
im sure he was on the list on the japanese website, i imagine itd just be red

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
It’d probably just be Red, which is honestly what I’d prefer.
There’s very little merch of the trainers themselves, so I’m selfishly hoping for just him. With a Green P2 amiibo obviously.

But as for the Chorus Kids, I think it really comes down to if the conductor is in the actual render.
None of the characters so far has a 1:1 with their game render, so it’s possible that their amiibo could just be the three kids. Or it could possibly be just one of them.
It’s hard to say until we potentially see them revealed.

Top Bottom