• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simon Belmont CONFIRMED PLAYABLE for Super Smash Bros Ultimate! Simon Belmont-exclusive Social Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I’ve wanted to get more into the Castlevania series for awhile now. The first game was probably not the best example, but maybe I’d have had a better time if I had been able to save... It’s so iconic, and I think a Smash rep would be very appropriate! And who would be better than Simon Belmont? Consider me a supporter!

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm in a weird position where I want Simon in Smash, but don't want to support Konami for their behavior over the past several years. (I have similar feelings toward Banjo Kazooie but to a lesser extent, as Microsoft seems to be less actively malicious than Konami)

I'll support, but unless the entire company gets overhauled or the video game rights Konami has sitting in their hoard gets sold to a better company, I'm not going to be very happy about it.

Also Castlevania Netflix was pretty good, it reminded me of Berserk but with less r*pe. Still feel conflicted about watching it, but at least my views would go to support the studio and animators making it.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Probably the biggest hurdle to Simon (or any character from Konami really) is going to get Konami to, well, stop acting like modern Konami long enough to get something worked out.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Just realized its almost gonna be 10 years since castlevania got a mainline 2D game : /

Playable Simon with the other belmonts as alts would be rad

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I enjoyed the original Castlevania as a kid, which is why I love this thread, because all your ideas and the suggested movesets borrow from that game--the holy water, axe, cross--is exactly how I had it in my mind.

I could never much get into Castlevania games post the NES original, but I'd be very happy if Simon made it in. I think he actually has a great chance. Konami even recently said they're thinking about making Castlevania for Switch, which can only be a good sign

Also, Xeno VII, you get bonus points for calling the creature "Frankenstein's monster.":)

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
It might take a complete regime change at Konami for any of their characters to get into Smash. I personally want Snake back because he was Smash's first ever confirmed third party. There's always hope.

D

Deleted member

I totally forgot about this.

The original Castlevania had "a big impact" on Sakurai.

And then he would later have a Vampire Killer-inspired whip be a collectable item in Kirby Super Star's Great Cave Offensive.

Even though I doubt all this means much, if anything at all in regards to Smash, it's fun to think about.

D

Deleted member

We'll, we're finally getting a new Castlevania game set in the original continuity, but...it's a mobile game titled Grimoire of Souls. It'll feature playable characters from past games such as Simon Belmont and Alucard.

It's something, at least. Even though I would've preferred a game on consoles and PC as much as the next person.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Check out that Simon artwork... they seem to be focusing on his Super Design recently, judging by this and Super Bomberman R

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
We'll, we're finally getting a new Castlevania game set in the original continuity, but...it's a mobile game titled Grimoire of Souls. It'll feature playable characters from past games such as Simon Belmont and Alucard.

It's something, at least. Even though I would've preferred a game on consoles and PC as much as the next person.
Ironically, it's this news that prompted me to come here and pose a question.

Which version of Simon would be used?

The classic, iconic, blonde version that looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger's Conan the Barbarian crossed with He-man:

Oh perhaps the red-headed variant from the mid-2000's:

Or perhaps the aged, bearded variant of the the previous one from Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate:

I feel like the classic look is the one they'd use, seeing as its still being used in Grimoire of Souls to represent Simon and not these other two versions (though I am fond of his Mirror of Fate design for being so visually striking).

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I would image it would be have to be on his classic appearance as it's probably how he is best known.

D

Deleted member

Check out that Simon artwork... they seem to be focusing on his Super Design recently, judging by this and Super Bomberman R

Something else I find interesting is that from what I've seen, this game reuses character artwork from Harmony of Despair...except Simon's, which in HoD was the exact same as the one from Chronicles on PS1.
Ironically, it's this news that prompted me to come here and pose a question.

Which version of Simon would be used?

The classic, iconic, blonde version that looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger's Conan the Barbarian crossed with He-man:

Oh perhaps the red-headed variant from the mid-2000's:

Or perhaps the aged, bearded variant of the the previous one from Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate:

I feel like the classic look is the one they'd use, seeing as its still being used in Grimoire of Souls to represent Simon and not these other two versions (though I am fond of his Mirror of Fate design for being so visually striking).
Most likely the original. It's the most iconic look for the character, and there has been precedent of Sakurai passing up newer designs in favor of older ones that are viewed more fondly (see: Pac-Man).

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Think whatever you want about mobile games, but this new game looks interesting. And again, it might be a test to see how much people are interested in a new Castlevania after the Netflix series brought back people's interest. I mean I've already seen several people going with the infamous "Fu*Konami" hashtag, but again it would not be different from saying "F*** Nintendo" because they did Mario Run or Animal Crossing Pocket Camp before a new 2D Mario or Animal Crossing.

D

Deleted member

Think whatever you want about mobile games, but this new game looks interesting. And again, it might be a test to see how much people are interested in a new Castlevania after the Netflix series brought back people's interest.
I'd like to hope that's the case. We'll have to wait and see.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
You can love the IP but not the company.

It's similar to support the troops, but not the war, right?

D

Deleted member

^This. Konami has made questionable decisions in recent years, but we can continue to enjoy the games. And if the new mobile game turns out to be good, then great.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Absolutely. But let's not pretend that Konami is the devil itself. All companies have skeletons in their closet, even the likes of Capcom, SEGA and so on.
While it is justifiable to not love a company (but loving their IP), I don't think it is fair to keep on bashing the company as a whole, especially when there are still passionate developers within it (Super Bomberman R proved it).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am pleased to hear that Castlevania is getting a new game... even if it is on mobile phones in Japan. I am very pleased to see that Konami chose the original design for Simon Belmont in that game. If he gets in Smash, he likely will have the original design.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I prefer Ayami Koijma's Simon but it will probably be a combination of many like what sakurai did with Roy

D

Deleted member

I just hope the Netflix series sticks to Barbarain Simon and doesn't decide to make ANOTHER redesign for Simon.

Seriously why did they feel to redesign Trevor when Curse of Darkness's Design was perfectly fine for him? All they had to do was remove the scar for chronolgy reasons (he doesn't gain until he defeats Dracula)

Quillion

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie, and trying to be as generous as possible, I'm not exactly enthused about this mobile game.

I'm pleasantly surprised that Ayami Kojima made artwork of pre-Chronicles Simon instead of her own design, though.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Clearly Konami recently started to use Simon's original design again because when Sakurai included Simon in Smash back in 2016 he chose to use his classic design, and with how influential Smash Bros. is Konami felt it sas a good idea to start promoting that design again from this point forward. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Castlevania ****posting incoming.

......you know @Xeno VII, i wanted to know if i could take ownership of the Simon Thread.

After writing this:
I'll be honest, most of these choices could swap places and there wouldn't be too much of a difference, but when i was making this top 10, Simon Belmont was already number 1, and i wouldn't have it any other way.

I love the Castlevania series, from it's humble begginings on the NES to the more animesque Metroidvanias on the DS, it's a franchise rich of lore, gameplay and music, with a very interesing cast of characters from the bishonen dark prince Alucard to the underapreciated agile pirate Grant Danasty to the adorable Maria Renard, but none of them are as important as Simon Belmont, the most renowed of Vampire Hunters, the most well known member of the Belmont Clan and one of Konami's most prominent mascots, appearing as the main Castlevania representative. Castlevania is a series that is prominent in gaming, is heavily remembered by fans of retro-gaming and most gamers that lived in the late 80's to late 90's.

His moveset is so damn easy to figure out, and the fact that he comes from a series of side-scrollers makes him much easier to implement in Smash's Platfrom Fighter gameplay. He could be a slow and heavy but powerful character that instead of relying on close ranged melee attacks, he instead will use the long-ranged weapon, the "Vampire Killer" which can be used diagonally (diagonal aerials and Smash-attacks everyone?) and can be engulfed in flames and even shoot fireballs. There's also his repertoire that includes daggers, cross-shaped Boomerangs, Holy Water that burn the enemies in place and sometimes travel a certain distance, axes he can throw in an arc, a time watch that allows him to slow or even outright stop time, etc.

The reason as to why i want is also the reason why i want Waluigi: Attachment to the character (and also the franchise).

Originally i just saw him as better "Konami Rep" than Snake, but as i grew older, i realized that was a stupid reason to desire a character (especially a guest character) and i also realized Snake was not that unfitting.

I grew a bigger connection to the Castlevania from my late Childhood-puberty years, and i loved almost every game that i played in the series, but none as much as Super Castlevania 4. I loved that game so much, i bought the SNES Classic specifically for that, alongside Kirby Super Star, A Link to the Past, Super Punch Out, DKC and Super Mario RPG.

Third Parties are at the end of the day, Guest characters. For me, adding any Third Party willy-nilly will damage the appeal and make it not as enjoyable. For me, a Guest has to be important, renowed and special, an icon of an era or the face of a longrunner series. I know that Simon is not on the same level as Sonic or Pac-Man, but for me, and many others, Castlevania is important, The series has sold 20 Million Copies, and while that is not so big compared to the sales of other franchises (like Dragon Quest or Kingdom Hearts or even Imagine for some ****ing reason) it's nothing to scoff at either. Not only that, for me, Simon Belmont is practically a Nintendo Character that unfortunately does not belong to Nintendo,, his game was released in the same year as important Nintendo franchises like Zelda and Metroid, and the series has been heavily assosiated with the Nintendo Consoles of old. He may not be as iconic as say Cloud, but he is to Castlevania to what Cloud is to Final Fantasy, the most renowed protagonist of the series that is capable of representing the franchise on his own completely.

I know my arguments may seem fallocious (and they probable are) and that Simon Belmont is not that requested, and i know that. I know the reality of the situation, im not expecting him to be in the game, and i feel that we will be lucky if we even get Snake back.

Simon Belmont in Smash is not a prediction, is not a guess, hell it's barely a request because i know it would be asking for the moon. Simon Belmont in Smash is a dream, a dream that will always be in head and in my heart.

.........i just hope the Netflix series doesn't **** up his portrayal (looking at you Judgement)
I realized that Simon Belmont is still my most wanted, above literally anyone except Mewtwo, and as such i want to be in charge of the thread of my most wanted newcomer, and no, him beign unlikely as hell doesn't bother me anymore. Hell i made the threads for Balloon Fighter, Gooey and Mike Jones, so you can't get more unlikely than that (although im passing ownership of the latter 2 because i don't want to manage too many threads)

If you don't feel comfortable giving me ownership, i understand that.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Castlevania ****posting incoming.

......you know @Xeno VII, i wanted to know if i could take ownership of the Simon Thread.

After writing this:

I realized that Simon Belmont is still my most wanted, above literally anyone except Mewtwo, and as such i want to be in charge of the thread of my most wanted newcomer, and no, him beign unlikely as hell doesn't bother me anymore. Hell i made the threads for Balloon Fighter, Gooey and Mike Jones, so you can't get more unlikely than that (although im passing ownership of the latter 2 because i don't want to manage too many threads)

If you don't feel comfortable giving me ownership, i understand that.
Feel free to take it. Honestly, this is something I've contemplated in the past. You're probably better suited towards owning this thread than I am anyway.

Regardless, running this thread has been a pleasure for me, from creating and editing the OP, to that short-lived "updates" post inspired by the one in @NonSpecificGuy's Snake thread, to digging up my old moveset from the previous Simon thread, to seeing so much support for him (even though I realize that Smashboards as a whole consists of a relatively small portion of the Smash fanbase). He may not be very plausible, but as a fan of the character and series, he has remained one of my most wanted (and I acknowledge that at least two other characters whose support threads I've owned don't have much of a chance either; looking at you, Melia and Zael).

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Mirror of Fate is his most handsome design

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
One thing I can say about Simon is that if by off-chance Sakurai negotiates with Konami, I can guarantee that both Snake AND Simon will be playable in this game. That statement in the Nomura interview regarding Castlevania is a humongous favor for his chances. I kinda wanna see it happen, but Sakurai's potentially negative perspective on Konami is a big wall. :/

I definitely cannot ignore the possibility though, it definitely exists.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Is it wrong I want Castlevania content in smash for the music?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Castlevania music is almost always really good, if not great, so there's nothing wrong with that.

In unrelated news... i dont have my hopes up too high for that phone game... seems pretty shallow , explorations seems to be relegated to an afterthough and is there only cause "is castlevania" and phone is a terrible platform to play action adventure games...

looks that they will try to sell us some nice illustrations and some remixes, and thats it.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
It's Simon Belmont's day in RTC. come show your support.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
After perusing the RTC thread for Simon’s day yesterday, I really really want to replay the NES trilogy before Season 2 of the show comes out. But since exams are eating up most of my time now, I figured the least I could do is pop up here and say I support Simon in Smash wholeheartedly. Out of all the devs, it is Konami who I feel should get three characters in Smash. Despite how little they deserve it nowadays

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
While I will choose to not believe that recent leak mostly to keep my sanity (and I advise everyone to take that leak with a moon of salt, it feels the classical too good to be true scenario) I wonder if the fact that Castlevania now is a dead series actually could boost it chances in Sakurai's eyes? And Belmont joins not like a cloud, but like a Pacman?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
~•~ Simon Belmont Special Moveset and Mechanic ~•~

Mechanic: Hearts

Belmont gains Hearts by connecting with the tip of his whip. He can have five.

When inputting his Side B (weapon throw), he can regular input, medium input or Smash input (like Ryu's tilts). Regular input uses no hearts and throws one weapon. Medium uses two hearts and throws two weapons. Smash uses three hearts and throws three weapons.

B Whip: Holding B unfurls Simon's whip. He can then whip in 8 directions. Only really effective at the tip.

Down B Item Swap: Cycles through Boomerang Cross, Holy Water and Axe

Side B Item Toss: Throws out either Boomerang Cross (goes straight a distance before returning on the same trajectory), Holy Water (arcs slightly before plummeting to the ground and releasing a short wave of fire that hugs the ground) and Axe (high arc that can take out aerial foes)

Up B Doorknocker Swing: A doorknocker appears and Simon latches onto it with his whip. He can maneuver up and down or swing back and forth and leap off. He can attack afterwards, but not use his Up B again until hit.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Ok , the leaks are strong people.
I think we have a big chance for Simon!

D

Deleted member

As always, it's best to take these leaks with a grain of salt. We'll see what happens as more about the game is revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom