• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simon Belmont CONFIRMED PLAYABLE for Super Smash Bros Ultimate! Simon Belmont-exclusive Social Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Yeah, when I came up with my own moveset for Simon a few years ago, I gave him some of Richter's moves like the uppercut. I figured if Ness and Lucas can borrow their teammates' attacks, Simon could borrow his descendants'.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I got into an argument with someone earlier in this thread about giving Simon a bunch of Richter moves to fill out his moveset.

I feel vindicated that that happened, but the fact that they added Richter as well also justifies that decision for them.

"Who's the echo of who?!" indeed Nintendo.
yeah I think that was really the only sensible choice.

Also:

We can select Simon & Richter as our mains on Smashboards now. Buuut the icon is showing as a garbled Capt Falcon 64 icon rn.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Belated congratulations are in order to you all! I've never been a huge Castlevania fan but I always respected the series and its history and always wanted to see Simon Belmont make an appearance as a classic NES rep! It's crazy to finally see him and his series in Smash alongside Metroid and Mega Man! Can't wait to give him a shot along with Richter!

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I never knew I wanted Richter as a fighter so badly in my life. Him and Simon look phenomenal, and the sheer amount of love the Castlevania is getting in this game is, honestly, quite humbling.

God, Ultimate's selection of newcomers is looking a ton much better than base Smash 4's. I'm actually excited to play as them, even some of the Echoes.

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905
So excited for this addition! I'm going to replay SCIV and Rondo of Blood to celebrate.
No...freaking...way...
You...you're the guy who made my favorite webcomic!
HOLYFLIPPINGGOODNESSHOLYFLIPPINGGOODNESSHOLYFLIPPINGGOODNESSHOLYFLIPPINGGOODNESSHOLYFLIPPINGGOODNESSHOLYFLIPPINGGOODNESSHOLYFLIPPINGGOODNESSHOLYFLIPPINGGOODNESSHOLYFLIPPINGGOODNESSHOLYFLIPPINGGOODNESSHOLYFLIPPINGGOODNESS
Okay, I'm done.

So I've read all 600 comics you've made around 5 times each for non-holiday ones, and once Simon was announced, I decided to make something that has part of one of your comics in it. You can find it over at this post.
Also, I think I'm also gonna play some Castlevania games. I'm thinking about streaming the original on my Twitch which I'm not gonna shamelessly plug because I'm replying to someone who, in my opinion, is an internet celebrity.

TL;DR: Big fan, made a thing, gonna stream Castlevania 1.

D

Deleted member

The guy beign stubborn about Simon not using Richter's moves was me, BTW. I admit defeat and respect Sakurai's choice.

......Not that it ruins Simon or anything to me, im still maining him and i like how Richter also uses Simon's Multiple whip attacks (Up Smash for example)

But im very happy and vendicated that Simon is the Classic Masculine Barbarian. I noticed how Simon's look was exactly that in everything he appeared recently (Grimoire of Souls, Super Bomberman R, Merchandising such as the Neca Figures and the First 4 Figures) and knew that if one of them was going to be choosen, it was that one, and i wouldn't have it any other way, honestly.

So excited for this addition! I'm going to replay SCIV and Rondo of Blood to celebrate.
WAIT.

Are you the real Matthew Taranto?! THE Matthew Taranto?!

Holy ****, i dind't expected you to be in Smashboards!

It's great seeing you here.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
what's the purpose of this thread? sounds like another social :thinking:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Well, there's a Simon thread, a Richter thread and a combined Belmont social thread.

D

Deleted member

I did the Social thread for Simon and Richter because i thought this one was gonna close.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I did the Social thread for Simon and Richter because i thought this one was gonna close.
Most threads just turn the old support thread into the new social but I don't think it's a huge deal to have one for each and then one for both. Not a big deal.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Most threads just turn the old support thread into the new social but I don't think it's a huge deal to have one for each and then one for both. Not a big deal.
but the social says simon and richter social :p i just fel like its needlessly divisive

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Did anyone notice that Simon is wearing what looks like a cilice around his thigh?

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I didn't even realize how perfect Simon was for Smash until I did a bit of research. I had no idea the first CV game came out the same year as the first Zelda, Metroid, and Kid Icarus game (1986)! I should've known he would make it eventually, even without the leak! It just makes too much sense! He looks so fantastic too! I love that we have such an iconic game character joining us yet again. This truly is an amazing roster. Should we be on the look out for a Dragon Quest character next?!

I'm so excited for Simon's inclusion that I downloaded Super CV IV for the Wii U. This will be the first time I'll be completing a CV game, and I'm really excited! I've enjoyed what I've played so far a great deal, and I'm loving the soundtrack! I've read that this is one of the best games in the series, so I'm totally hyped for it! Let me tell you though, it may not be hardcore, but I'm loving the Access Point feature for this game... hehe

Last edited:

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
SuperDoom1 and Tord the Red Leader--

Thanks for the nice welcome! Yep, it's me. If you need proof, I just made a Twitter post (https://twitter.com/MatthewPTaranto) echoing a post I made earlier in another thread here--that I'd love to see Terra in Smash Bros. The new Smash has gotten me excited for the series all over again so I thought it'd be fun to join these boards!

But back on-topic, Simon has been a character I've wanted since SSB4. I'm a huge fan of the old guard during the NES and SNES days, so more 80s and 90s characters and games would be extremely welcome in my eyes.

D

Deleted member

SuperDoom1 and Tord the Red Leader--

Thanks for the nice welcome! Yep, it's me. If you need proof, I just made a Twitter post (https://twitter.com/MatthewPTaranto) echoing a post I made earlier in another thread here--that I'd love to see Terra in Smash Bros. The new Smash has gotten me excited for the series all over again so I thought it'd be fun to join these boards!

But back on-topic, Simon has been a character I've wanted since SSB4. I'm a huge fan of the old guard during the NES and SNES days, so more 80s and 90s characters and games would be extremely welcome in my eyes.
Cool!

I did saw your post about Terra in Smash a few minutes back, and i was happy to know seeing the Terra thread getting some attention, as it has been dead silent for a good while.

But back on to Simon, it's good to know that you wanted Simon as far back as the SSB4 days, that's when i started rooting for him too.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Is it bad to hope your character is "low end high tier"? I want Richter to be good but not like too good to the point where every top player is playing him. I wanna be somewhat unique but I also want him to be able to take me places. I'll play him regardless but I feel a little guilty hoping that lol.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I was thinking about it did Igarashi make any comments about Simon in Smash yet?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I was thinking about it did Igarashi make any comments about Simon in Smash yet?
I haven't seen one yet, but I doubt he ever will. He wasn't invokved with the first games in the series (kinda of like Aonuma who joined Zelda with A Link to the Past).

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Is it weird that I like Simons inclusion also because he uses an axe and other kinds of weapons instead of a sword?

Not only that but some of his moves reminds me of Shovel Knight aswel. Which I didn't get as playable character.

And his look reminds of Golden Axe, another franchise I like that won't get in.

I know, more weird reasons for me for liking a character.

I also actually have played Castlevania titles, but none with him I think.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Is it weird that I like Simons inclusion also because he uses an axe and other kinds of weapons instead of a sword?

Not only that but some of his moves reminds me of Shovel Knight aswel. Which I didn't get as playable character.
That's definitely not a coincidence! That's part of why I liked Shovel Knight so much... I mean, a game inspired by Castlevania, Mega Man, DuckTales, Zelda and Super Mario? There was no way that wouldn't appeal to me if it was well-executed (which it was).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Calling a weapons expert; is Simon's weapon really a whip? It seems to function and fight more like a meteor hammer, or another type of chain weapon.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Calling a weapons expert; is Simon's weapon really a whip? It seems to function and fight more like a meteor hammer, or another type of chain weapon.
The original Vampire Killer was, indeed, a leather whip. It just so happens to have been made by alchemy, which acts as the explanation for how it adquired its current form after Leon Belmont's adventures.

D

Deleted member

As far as im concerned Igarashi didn't have that much of a hand in creating Simon Belmont nor any of his games outside of maybe Chronicles and Judgement.

The creator of Castlevania and Simon Belmont is borderline unkown, but it's assumed to be the director of Castlevania 1 2 and 3, Hitoshi Akamatsu.

There are no pictures of the guy and any attempt at tracking him down has been proven a failure, so who knows how he must have reacted to his creation beign inlcuded in Smash without him knowing it.

StormC

Smash Hero

Cleared Super Castlevania IV for the first time. That was a doozy of a game revealing my inner casual, though Dracula was surprisingly easier the further you got into the battle.

Next up is Dracula Chronicles X so I can be familiar with both of the Belmonts before Smash lands.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Hello future mains of Simon and Richter. I was rewatching the 8.8 Smash Direct and while watching the segment on Richter's victory pose, I paused and caught this.
https://gyazo.com/c8d666ae2d2f4c06720076727a96a0d6
Then in the during the part where it shows his name Richter's glove has a cut in it.
https://gyazo.com/8c5b5b7e75ac773729ef201f1f838764
Wonder if that was a goof from the modeling or animation team.
looks more like the lighting and shading of the model during the switch of the light than a cut off to be frank.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

A LOT of gameplay with Simon.
Finally I think we've got his entire moveset and can start doing some frame data analysis.

Starts at around 15:30

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
XD Simon clapping looks like he is plotting how to revenge murder you.

while his edgeguarding looks neat his recovery really looks crippling DX.

Loving his ftilt. kinda reminds me of Ike's Ftilt. loved using that move for poking, spacing and killing. Simon might end like some kind of Robin/ike hybrid, Which considering i played them both on 4, wouldn't be bad :o

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
yeah, i went ahead and looked at the moves that we were missing and i think thats everything. it seems like the visual wind effects can safely indicate when the hitbox is active, so, from what i could tell it looks like his jab is active on frame 5, thats pretty good. utilt is active frame 9, and might have a hitbox behind simon. i believe dsmash is frame 18, making it his fastest smash, and usmash is frame 21. the news that dash attack nullifies projectiles is great as well. things are looking good for the belmonts, i was worried they were gonna have a really slow jab, but thats not the case. it will still be in our best interest to zone people out, but it might not be so bad when we get rushed down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom