• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Silence.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Link to original post: [drupal=1404]Silence.[/drupal]

Nope, not SS's combo video.

I don't know about the rest of you out there, but I tend to feel a lot more deeply than most people--especially guys. I also tend to be a very open and genuine person, which means that I spill my heart out to anyone who offers to listen. But sometimes I just need people to listen in on my thought process otherwise I feel like I'm going to go too far off in my head--you know? But sometimes when crazy things go on and I just need someone to talk to, a friend will be willing to listen the first time. And things go fine. Then if I need them a second time, sure, it's kinda okay. But by the third time they start wondering why I can't talk to someone else.

I know it makes people feel awkward, but I like being able to express what I'm feeling to them...they always tell me to 'be myself', and when I finally start spilling out just who I am, they get sick of it. This is why I don't have many real friends. Few people have the patience to listen to me when things go wrong. And so I remain secluded from everyone else. In the recent past I've sort of shut myself off from people emotionally--not that I don't feel for other people, I just don't let anyone in. I've learned that when I do, I just get hurt. So now I'm finally starting to open up to people and I just get weird looks for it.

People say they're always there to listen if you need it, but if you're in tears and trying text messaging someone if you can call, you get responses like "I'm in spanish--why not call Tom?" I'm fine if someone's in class, but the last line tipped me off that they didn't want to hear it anymore. Not surprising.

It happens with everyone. But this is why I couldn't survive without prayer. God's the only one that'll listen to me. For everyone else, I must keep silent.

bobson

Smash Lord
There's this really annoying 20-second looping track that plays on the Port Town stage and your post reminded me that I was trying to replace it with a remix of the Silence theme from F-Zero to no avail because I have to stay within the filesize (and the song is only 726KB, what the hell) and there wasn't any way I could shrink the size enough without degrading the song quality too much.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
There are people out there who'll listen.
Apparently I do, but let's not go there.
People may not like to listen too much because they feel with you pouring your heart out to them, they have to do the same back when they'd rather not. It may make them feel guilty.
Also, they may have tried to help you with problems that you've talked about, but some don't ever act on problems they've discussed after receiving good advice. The amount of times my friends have poured out their problems, listened to my advice, not followed it, and then screwed up has driven me nuts.
Having got tired of bopping them real hard round the head and shouting "Told you so!" I just sigh and say "Shut the hell up, sort your life out" whenever they wanna start telling me stuff.

Not saying this applies to you, but just a few thoughts for consideration.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord

@bobson:How did you think of that from what he wrote? O_o

Well, if friends can't be there when you need them most, then maybe they were never really your friends.
I don't really know how to help ya because I don't have any friends IRL that I'm close enough to, to share that kind of stuff with anymore. People on here actually know more about me than much of my own family. The interwebz sure is an odd place...

You should find someone to talk to before you become a bitter person.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I try not to become bitter. It's just tough sometimes. I don't think I'll become bitter, but I think I'm just deciding to keep my problems between me and God for the most part. I'm not sure what else to do, really. But, I don't know.

@Teran: I do follow people's advice. It's just that things get more complicated from there and stress me out, or I learn more about how I've been feeling about it, and in a day or two my entire perspective on the world can be different. Maybe that's their source of frustration. I'm not ignoring people's advice, it's just when it comes to something deeply emotional, it's a process and not just a quick decision to be made.

But I'm just going to rely on God for this one. I'm not sure where it's going, but He's worked through enough in my heart this year for me to know that He can work through this, too.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
God isn't there to make your life easier. If you haven't realised, this is Planet Earth, not Heaven.

I could give my entire philosophical hypothesis on why God won't interefere with happenings of the Earth, but that would be a TL;DR post which most people would not even care about anyway since they're all atheists or stuck to their own beliefs.

God is there, but He has no obligation to, and indeed shouldn't make anything better, if life is meant to hold its purpose.

Should I join the Smash Debaters? Naaaaaah it's no fun.

bobson

Smash Lord
God isn't there to make your life easier. If you haven't realised, this is Planet Earth, not Heaven.

I could give my entire philosophical hypothesis on why God won't interefere with happenings of the Earth, but that would be a TL;DR post which most people would not even care about anyway since they're all atheists or stuck to their own beliefs.

God is there, but He has no obligation to, and indeed shouldn't make anything better, if life is meant to hold its purpose.
The Bible pretty clearly contradicts this view.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well the Bible is wrong about a lot of things.

Who the hell said I was going from a Christian point of view anyway?

bobson

Smash Lord
Well the Bible is wrong about a lot of things.

Who the hell said I was going from a Christian point of view anyway?
It's an exercise in futility to try to prove a point without any common grounds between the debaters. If you're rejecting the Bible, then trying to convince someone who isn't to your side will go all of nowhere; the grounds for empirically proving either point are sparse at best, and the majority of people won't be willing to change their life philosophy without any hard proof. Compare me stating that my imagination is a lot cooler than your imagination.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's an exercise in futility to try to prove a point without any common grounds between the debaters. If you're rejecting the Bible, then trying to convince someone who isn't to your side will go all of nowhere; the grounds for empirically proving either point are sparse at best, and the majority of people won't be willing to change their life philosophy without any hard proof. Compare me stating that my imagination is a lot cooler than your imagination.

From that argument we might as well chuck the Bible out the window. What's your point?

bobson

Smash Lord

From that argument we might as well chuck the Bible out the window. What's your point?
My point is that attempting to convince someone who believes in the Bible that God doesn't follow it is as useless as trying to convince them that God doesn't exist in the first place.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Modern Christianity contradicts the Bible. The Bible contradicts the Bible.

Still, screw this, it's not the place and I don't want to get infracted.

Sonic Phantom

Smash Cadet

Well, if friends can't be there when you need them most, then maybe they were never really your friends.
I would say that this pretty much sums it up. Being yourself is right because like Super_Sonic said these people who treat you as such were never really friends. Friends is a term used to describe too wide of a category. To me the term friend is defined by those who will help and stick by you through difficult times in life. That would limit me to about three or four actual friends while I use the term acquaintances for those who I enjoy spending my time with, but I know will turn a deaf ear to issues that might arise between people or within myself. These people have a base of three or four friends that they can rely on for support and I am not in that circle. I know that when this group of people call me, they are calling for a good times or get rid of boredom for the time being. Now these friend circles do change over time and it is quite possible to enter one, just takes a long time to become part of that circle because the people in the circle really do not need to expand. People move on though and thus circles change. If you ask me, I think you care to much about what people think of you or will act towards you if you are being yourself. Truth is that true friends are found through just being yourself because they know what to expect for you. They will see you for who you are. I think that covering up who you are then showing people later who you really are can get some people move away from knowing you better. Just my opinion though...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The last thread that turned into a religious debate got locked. So I'd suggest you guys end the debate right here and take it to the Debate Hall and create the umpteenth never-ending debate on the issue of religion if you really wish to continue it.

About the blog...I know how you feel. None of my friends ever say they don't want to hear it but I get rather sick of telling my friends about problems I have because they generally just make me feel worse. You know, I say "WHY DO I HAVE TO HAVE SO MUCH WORK!?" for example, and my friends will bring in an inside joke and say "Because a treadmill." (Yes, it's a rather odd inside joke, but disregard that as it's not the point.) Which just makes me angry because they're not even TRYING to listen to me. Or, the other day I was texting my friend asking him if I had lent him my Action Replay DS or anything. He texted back saying no, and asked why I asked. I replied that I couldn't find it anywhere, and he texts back with "haha". I was already stressed about not being able to find my AR, so that sort of got me this close to kicking a hole in a wall.

I can talk to my friends, but I always feel like they don't really care to hear about it. Not that it matters, because they'll just make a joke out of the matter and I'm left to be angry about them basically brushing me off and whatever was already concerning me. Hell, some of my good friends on SmashBoards listen to me better than they do, which is sad in a way considering I've known most of my friends for years and years now.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I know it makes people feel awkward, but I like being able to express what I'm feeling to them...they always tell me to 'be myself', and when I finally start spilling out just who I am, they get sick of it. This is why I don't have many real friends. Few people have the patience to listen to me when things go wrong. And so I remain secluded from everyone else. In the recent past I've sort of shut myself off from people emotionally--not that I don't feel for other people, I just don't let anyone in. I've learned that when I do, I just get hurt. So now I'm finally starting to open up to people and I just get weird looks for it.
I know exactly how you feel. I've had a hard time opening my heart to others due to some...traumatic things in my life. It was only a few months ago that I was able to let my best friend know how I truly feel about certain things, and even then sometimes I feel like I'm hurting our relationship by talking to him about it. :(

D

Deleted member

I never had any problems like this. I played offensive line in football, so when this huge dude comes and talks, you listen.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
You're alot like me. I'm kind of going through a rough time right now and just looking for people to listen. I need guidance bc I think too much, and it helps to get someone else's viewpoint on issues. Yet people look at me as a strong person and tend to get annoyed when I ask for help or I'm feeling down, not to mention I'm naturally quiet and introverted...which makes things even weirder when I open myself to others. It's like people avoid the bad times and pretend that everything's alright. =/

Top Bottom