• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side-tilt?

Alegis

Smash Rookie
More like a general tilt question, but I have troubles getting Ike's side tilt done. I always seem to get the (uncharged) side smash while in combat and even in training mode the horizontal slash doesn't appear all the time.

How exactly do you time it? Let go of everything, small quick movement of directional stick and hit A? Easier ways to get this done?

I never really payed any attention to use tilts with other chars, but for slow Ike it's more of a necessity it seems.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
yah i had that problem at 1st too but i think your fingers just end up getting used to it just pratice with it a bit maybe start with the d tilt 1st then up for some reason i had an easier time like that and side tilt was the hardest but now i get it when i want.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
It is not a fast movement to the side... it is a slow movement of the analog stick. You can start practicing by moving your stick forward and walking then pressing A. That will give you the tilt. Otherwise when you want to tilt.. you don't smash the stick over.. you move it there. It is a slower paced movement that does come with practice after you realize you can't move too fast.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I've gotten to used to just slightly pushing the analog stick forward and pressing a, not too hard.

As for timing, eh, I'm not gonna go into frame specifics, but it's a pretty quick move.

Alegis

Smash Rookie
Alright, thanks a bunch. Practice makes perfect I guess, but now I know how to practice.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Sometimes instead of u-tilt an upsmash would come out but that's as far as it goes with me. It comes down to dexterity and how diligent you are with tilting the control stick. If you pay attention and don't rush it you'll tilt no matter what. Just pay attention to how much strength you're using to tilt the stick and they shouldn't be a problem for you.

I actually don't remember ever having a big issue with tilts in Melee even, because for me if i screwed up it was just because I would rush it and have the tilt become a smash or I would jump instead. It was almost completely mental for me because it came down to how much strength I put into the stick.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
I think my GC controller might need to be replaced or upgraded as well.
This is highly unlikely. Nearly all of my friends that don't own the game have the problems you mentioned. They play with my controller, which never gives me any trouble at all. So yeah, practice some more, don't go buying new equipment and be disappointed if it doesn't help.

DizzyDevilx

Smash Rookie
Don't. It's easy enough to learn if you put 30 mins in it. You don't want to sacrifice the options tap jump can give you for half a hour of simple practice.
Just curious, what advantages does tap jump give you? The only ones I am aware of is reverse hyphen smash (running reversed up-smash) and maybe a faster meteor cancel from a spike. I've turned it off because there would be times I would accidentally use my double jump without meaning to and get punished for it.

menofuntall

Smash Cadet
Tap Jump lets you use an Up Smash or Up Special out of a shield, and maybe jump. I don't remember about that last one. You don't actually need Tap Jump that much for Ike.

Top Bottom