• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side B for Spiking?

The Jesticle

Smash Rookie
I've looked and looked and looked, but I have not seen anyone mention anything about using the Side B for spiking. It my not be the best move, and there may be alternatives to this move, but it can be pretty useful in some situations. One reason why I find it useful is the fact that you can use it off the stage and not fall while using it. It's much similar to Fox's shine in this fact. Although it may not have high priority, it will spike a Fox coming at you with his Up-B, so it at least has a bit of priority, even sometimes both attacks will strike (so you spike him and he hits you with the Up B)

Am I the only one that has thought to use this, or are there others out there?

James Sparrow

Smash Master
It has rediculous wind-up lag, bad knockback, can be canceled easily, and has cooldown lag to boot. None of those things are true with Fox's shine. The moves aren't comparable.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
There is no reason to use it except if you're going for the gusto. His down air has better reach and you can l-cancel it.

The Jesticle

Smash Rookie
It's comparable to Fox's shine in that you do not move in the air when you use it, granted you fall sooner with DK than Fox after it is done. And you can't jump cancel the Headbutt. But, as an alternative to the Dair, couldn't the Side-B be used to jump off the stage and spike someone who's not expecting it. Or is it not even worth practicing.
(Also I tried to edit my post, but it would either take me to a blank screen or just not do anything)

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i saw bum and dire pull off a crazy spike in teams

dire was ganon, he used down b, bum was DK and used forward b

ganon's down b spiked the opponent first then DK's forward b spiked the same opponent, it was so crazy

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
i saw bum and dire pull off a crazy spike in teams

dire was ganon, he used down b, bum was DK and used forward b

ganon's down b spiked the opponent first then DK's forward b spiked the same opponent, it was so crazy
That sounds pretty freaking awesome can you give me the link maybe?

jablesDKman12

Smash Rookie
way too slow

i tried THE JESTICLES idea
but it failed miserably
it wouldn't work because
how slow it is
the f-air is much better

Nedech

Smash Apprentice
I find it somewhat useful vs Marth.
You can jump out and hit him from behind while he's doing his Up-B. It's nice for some diversity.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Edgeguarding Marth with the spin instead works wonders. Grab on the edge, drop down, and use up-B while you're invincible.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
che-lab...it wasn't recorded...but it was freakking sick as hell

sorry for the delayed response

Sync99

Smash Journeyman
It's easy to edgeguard the Fox Illusion and Falco Phantasm with the Side-B, assuming the space animal doesn't cancel and sweetspot it.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, side-B is one of those tricky moves that needs to be used with caution. Before spiking with side-B be aware of who you're fighting and more importantly what stage your on. Stages with multiple gaps can be a disaster if your fighting Captain Falcon or Fox. But if your fighting Luigi or Pikachu on a stage with multiple gaps, it's all good as long as you know how to use the side-B. Hint : To get lifted when spiking with side-B, while running, tap the jump and quickly press left or right + B. This causes DK to float over gaps. Always get lifted when spiking wth side-B. Or you could just practice the short hop dair. It's less demanding and more effective.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
If your recovering from off the stage you can side-b an edgeguarder and up-b quicker than a Down air.
If you're recovering, using side B OR down air would be ridiculous. Up B is obviously the only choice in this situation. When I mentioned the down air, of course I meant when you are the one who's on the stage.

GTOnizukadude

Smash Cadet
I used to try this more than the dair or fair, but it definitely only works for mindgames. Maybe a Fire Fox or two, but I never got good enough at it.

I had a little luck against Pichu, but then again pretty much everything works against Pichu.

Top Bottom