• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sick of this Game...

Nike.

Smash Hero
I've been a proud member of this franchise since R/B/Y. There are too many memories of spending entire days just to hatch that perfect natured Mr. Mime, or spending a weekend asking every one of my friends for a shiny anything. We've all had that type of experience one time or another.

This summer I've kinda stopped playing it for some reason. Maybe it was Melee getting too addictive, idk. But yesterday my old Pokemon rival called me for a match. He's the n00b who talks alot of crap because he always gets so lucky in the matches (we all have one of those friends). So I was like okay.

I still used a semi-decent team that swept my entire school, since nobody good lives near me. But I was running with:

-CMCune
-Espeon
-Claydol
-Tauros
-Celebi
-Zapdos
(and before you tell me, I KNOW I HAVE 3 PSYCHICS)

His ENTIRE team is filled with ubers:

-Lugia
-Jirachi
-Palkia
-Rayquaza
-Kyogre
-Groudon

So basically, he's owning me the entire match so I'm left with my Espeon and Suicune:

Espeon:
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Double Team
-Psych Up
(idk I was bored)

I Baton Passed 6 Double Teams and a Sub to Cune. I have it set-up so that Cune will literally sweep the whole team off it's feet (except Kyogre, but thats what Calm Mind is for) He switches to Kyogre naturally and thunders the Sub.

*sigh* Now by some miracle, he gets off an attack before I can Roar him into oblivion, and he uses Sheer Cold. It hits first try...

idk what the actual % of that attack actually connecting was (at least below 5%) but I was stuck with a non-attacking Espeon and a pissed off mood.

That happened about an hour ago. And that kinda luck keeps heading my way everytime my hands even glide over a DS. So... im gonna have to give this game up. Im sick of putting so much effort into something, knowing that pure dum-luck can take it all away. Im sick of that critical hit connecting whenever Im one turn away from beating my opponent, getting laughed at by a whole crowd of people who thought it took skill. IM DONE WITH THIS!

Im sticking to melee, where you lose because your not as good as your opponent, not because of luck.

D

Deleted member

it's 30% * and 6 DT makes the acc around 20% I believe, so a 6% chance.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
That's why I play Pokemon. Anything can happen, no matter what situation you're in. It makes things interesting.

Also, to be good at Pokemon is easy. You don't have to know how wavedash with one hand You don't need to know how to DI just right so you'll survive a Ganondorf Warlock Punch at 500%. You just need to know what EVs are at least, which is really easy to learn. Even without EVs, Pokemon can still own.

Besides, he was using Ubers against your standard team, so of course he'd have the advantage. Apparently, before the match, you didn't set any rules, like Double Team clause, or no Ubers.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Chill

Red
BRoomer
First of all the two genres of fighting and RPG are completely different and can't be compared directly.

Secondly, with pokemon it isn't any easier or more difficult to become skilled than any other game. Once you learn how to wavedash it may makes things easier for you but you still need practice. And once you learn something in pokemon like you shouldn't try to hit Blissey with special attack it makes things easier for you. But that doesn't mean your going to win every match just because you know the basics.

Not only did you admit you haven't played in awhile your opponent was using ubers. The're called ubers for a reason.

That happened about an hour ago. And that kinda luck keeps heading my way everytime my hands even glide over a DS. So... im gonna have to give this game up. Im sick of putting so much effort into something, knowing that pure dum-luck can take it all away. Im sick of that critical hit connecting whenever Im one turn away from beating my opponent, getting laughed at by a whole crowd of people who thought it took skill. IM DONE WITH THIS!
lol, if this happened only an hour ago what do you mean bad luck keeps heading your way? Have you played any battles since then?

Nike.

Smash Hero
lol I can always count on you Umbreon. I was off by 1%.

I see what your saying Chill, but I hate how putting so much work into something can be pontless because of that. I'd only be average at best on competetive play, but in where I live I'm literally the only person that even knows about EV's, or any standard stuff for that matter. Everyone down here thinks ubers aren't cheap and should be used, yet I just can't will myself to do the same. Maybe I'm being stubborn and wanna win with a skilled team that I put days on end to complete. But lately, just before summer started, it semed like everyone I played had a 4-leaf clover in their back pocket or something, idk. So many matches where I'd normally win with half a party still alive were becoming stupid losses. I just got fed up with it.

So I play for the first time in 3 months and it's like my nightmare is happening all over again. I think it's a sign for me to just stop.

And you're right, theres no way to compare RPG's and fighting games. I just don't like the fact that I can't control what happen. Take Melee for example. I can practice every little thing so that it's muscle-memoried right into my hands. If I lose, it's because my opponent was just better than me. People seem to like Pokemon because they can relax, knowing that anything can happen in the middle of a battle. Thats just not my cup of tea.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Then Pokemon just isn't for you. If you don't like the extreme luck Pokemon players need, then Pokemon isn't your thing.

But, if you turn into a Pokemon hater, just don't flame. Look at my sig.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

D

Deleted member

to be fair the majority of ubers do not have have a massive advantage over the highest standards. If anything, garchomp is more dangerous than stuff like ho-oh.

I would attribute his loss to luck, not a tiers difference, which I think was his main point as well.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Everyone down here thinks ubers aren't cheap and should be used, yet I just can't will myself to do the same.
Cause you prefer/like using skill rather than a beefed up beat stick. Nothing wrong with that.

Maybe I'm being stubborn and wanna win with a skilled team that I put days on end to complete.
That's the spirit. Uber's aren't invincible. They're just tough. :-X

I know I'm not helping, but I figure I can try. :shrug:

Nintencore88

Smash Apprentice
dont use ubers first of all but pokemon is a game of strategy and time and effort vs smash which is a game of timing and button mashing.

D

Deleted member

I use a ho-oh w/ 394 attack 278 speed packing EQ sacredfire and sky attack w/ a power herb. It doesn't get much sweeter than that. I still think a lot of standard pokes are more dangerous.

metroidmania

Smash Cadet
Well he WAS playing ubers, so I'd be surprised if you came close to winning anyways, even if he does suck.

Besides, if you think that Pokemon takes no skill you're sadly mistaken. :p Well actually it doesn't in-game, but competitive does.

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman
when you play in-game, it's quite easy to win during any battle, even if your pokemon suck compared to the opponent's...........revives, hyperpotions, full heals, and full restores make this possible.............but in competitive playing, it's your pokemon's stats, moves, and your own skills at combining different strategies that determine the outcome of any one battle

oh, and don't use legendaries........they're cheap.........only noobs use them, because they don't know how to EV train yet

Nike.

Smash Hero
He doesn't know ANYTHING about competitive playing. Not even how natures work. I mean after 6 DT's he uses Sheer Cold of all things, whenever its raining and he has flippin Kyogre who knows thunder. Its LAME.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
He doesn't know ANYTHING about competitive playing. Not even how natures work. I mean after 6 DT's he uses Sheer Cold of all things, whenever its raining and he has flippin Kyogre who should know Water Spout. Its LAME.
Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
!ubers off

Seriously, if you are that wimpy to stop playing Pokémon after you fought somebody with 6 ubers while your team didn't have one, then you do not even deserve to own that game. If you have been a fan since R/B/Y, I would think you would know that ubers are way too strong to fight against OU and lower Pokés. The fact that you lost was all thanks to yourself, you were too stupid to first set up rules like no Ubers etc (or didn't you want to have rules to use Double Team?) before you started your match. Now go sell your game, go sit in a corner and cry about how sad you are

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman
!ubers off

Seriously, if you are that wimpy to stop playing Pokémon after you fought somebody with 6 ubers while your team didn't have one, then you do not even deserve to own that game. If you have been a fan since R/B/Y, I would think you would know that ubers are way too strong to fight against OU and lower Pokés. The fact that you lost was all thanks to yourself, you were too stupid to first set up rules like no Ubers etc (or didn't you want to have rules to use Double Team?) before you started your match. Now go sell your game, go sit in a corner and cry about how sad you are
P-W-N-E-D

:laugh:

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
!ubers off

O_O Dah-mn.

Namu35

Smash Cadet
A good player (dont care the game that you play) always must try to be better.
Beat the luck is a good test

fluffy

Smash Champion
Don't worry, he used Ubers so he's a complete n00b.

People need to stop using Ubers. It really unbalances the Metagame.
people who use ubers arent complete noobs....theres a metagame designed just for ubers.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Haven't read all posts, but try rely less on luck, using always hitting moves and not using doubleteam, if you rely on the attack to miss he will try hitting you much harder and when your opponent hits, you might get screwed, but if he is using a cscarf Kyogre I have nothing to say but shedinja.

fluffy

Smash Champion
Haven't read all posts, but try rely less on luck, using always hitting moves and not using doubleteam, if you rely on the attack to miss he will try hitting you much harder and when your opponent hits, you might get screwed, but if he is using a cscarf Kyogre I have nothing to say but shedinja.
lol u should go read the posts then...were talking more on ubers

MasterMatt

Smash Journeyman
wow... u really need to read the posts... u r way off...

Top Bottom