• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Lord Xanthan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Master_Xanthan
Sorry to change the subject, but I'm not sure that this question is deserving of it's own thread so I'll just ask it here. Do we know of anyone in particular who'll be repping Shulk at EVO this weekend?
Jayroach from Shulk skype chat is. Idk what his smashboards name is, though.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I happen to live in Las Vegas as well so I was considering going to EVO but lolparents. I'll definitely try to go in a few years and rep Shulk and Zelda tho!
Well, this is kinda funny, at least for me.

So this has been on my mind for a few months. There was a small possibility I could have went to EVO. Why? Because I live in Las Vegas!

The problem is that they only allowed something like a Gamecube controllers, not the 3DS one. With no experience playing on the Wii U version and looking at a big screen while playing as Shulk, it would be a disaster.

Maybe next time... :ohwell:
Yeah this really bothers me. They really should just let people use whatever control they want. Like, there's an absolutely amazing Zelda player in Vegas, possibly the best one in the USA atm and he uses the Wiimote + Nunchuk, but since he's going to EVO he's forced to switch to the Gamecube controller smh. Well...if you do decide to go next year, good luck!

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
So, in other words...

No EVOBlade Chronicles X? So sad.

Any chances that anyone would be up for Smash on 3DS, or is everyone focused on EVO right now? I think I'm finally ready to see how bad I do in a Shulk ditto against someone from here...

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
So, in other words...

No EVOBlade Chronicles X? So sad.

Any chances that anyone would be up for Smash on 3DS, or is everyone focused on EVO right now? I think I'm finally ready to see how bad I do in a Shulk ditto against someone from here...
I'm available, WindHero! I need some ditto experience, too.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Yeah, I definitely need to work on that. Also, seems like I'm a sucker for grabs.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
GGs, thanks. You showed me that I know nothing of the Monado's power... Any advice?

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
GGs, thanks. You showed me that I know nothing of the Monado's power... Any advice?
1. Have you saved your replays on our matches? It's a great way to learn my playstyle vs yours.

2. Use Vision when you see a very good opportunity.

3. Don't use Back Slash too much, especially with those SDs...

4. Switch from Shield to Jump when knocked away

5. Learn how to space properly with Shulk. The more you use his moves and analyze them, the more you'll understand how to space.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Today I started practicing MALLC with SH BAirs. Finally the Y button has some use.
Also, not having a Shulk rep at EVO could give us some buffs...
:101:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I kind of wish that EVO would take place at a more central location. Los Vegas is a looooong way from FarmVille, Indiana. Of course I don't have much of a right to complain; there are people from different nations going to EVO.
The problem is there isn't anything in central USA. at least in Vegas there are a lot of people that can save going on trips/planes.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Eyy, I've been on Smashboards for a year. Came for the Monado Monday, stayed for the Smash.

I kind of wish that EVO would take place at a more central location. Los Vegas is a looooong way from FarmVille, Indiana. Of course I don't have much of a right to complain; there are people from different nations going to EVO.
I don't think I could possibly live much further from Las Vegas :laugh:

Unless my understanding of time zones is off, the Smash4 semifinals/finals should be on soon/now in like 12 hours, heh :urg: whoops. To save others the trouble, the link should be here: http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo1
I realised I totally should've been watching this, picking up tips.

Edit: Time zones strike again. Wii U Semifinals -> Finals are reserved from 8AM -> 4PM, which is 11PM -> 7AM in my area.
i cri evry tim :( :( :(

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I've been so busy lately and even on my off time I couldn't be bothered to play anything, but I finally just picked Xenoblade back up and did those few side quests I needed and went on in the story..

[collapse=]
I saw the future before Shulk did, because I was waiting for Dickson and Alvis to turn, but I certainly wasn't expecting how they did it. This whole business with Zanza being the Monado and being the soul of the Bionis but not actually is getting confusing. Shulk pulling his own Monado out of nowhere and turning an ordinary sword into it is a bit off too, I hope everything gets cleared up.

Though now the game has gotten to the point where it's a bit ridiculous. It clearly showed people on the Bionis being absorbed back into it or something, but now I can run around on it all I want, couldn't Zanza just insta-kill us too?
[/collapse]

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I've been so busy lately and even on my off time I couldn't be bothered to play anything, but I finally just picked Xenoblade back up and did those few side quests I needed and went on in the story..

[collapse=]
I saw the future before Shulk did, because I was waiting for Dickson and Alvis to turn, but I certainly wasn't expecting how they did it. This whole business with Zanza being the Monado and being the soul of the Bionis but not actually is getting confusing. Shulk pulling his own Monado out of nowhere and turning an ordinary sword into it is a bit off too, I hope everything gets cleared up.

Though now the game has gotten to the point where it's a bit ridiculous. It clearly showed people on the Bionis being absorbed back into it or something, but now I can run around on it all I want, couldn't Zanza just insta-kill us too?
[/collapse]
I can fill you in on some of those.
- Dickson and Alvis being shady is made pretty obvious, but yeah! Such an amazing twist.
- The Replica Monado gets discussed in several sidequests. Not big spoilers, but I'll put it in a tag just in case.
The Replica Monados are made by the Machina using Monado research.
- It's kind of that Zanza's soul was partly inside the Monado. But it was also inside Arglas. And Shulk. I dunno man, I'll confess that from this point on, things do get a little... abstract.
- Not sure how you could've missed this... but the people weren't being absorbed back into the Bionis, it was the High Entia turning into Telethia. It becomes the answer to why ancient High Entia statues have different features, and as to why the High Entian royal family wanted to be diluting the bloodline - to remove the effects of the gene. If you look at the Affinity Chart (or whatever it's called), a lot of people should be greyed out - these are High Entians you've met and done quests for that are now dead, or Telethia (:(). Those with more pure bloodlines have transformed, whilst those who are more mixed are fine (like Melia). That said, it's totally weird that the Bionis starts moving and everyone just goes about daily life like nothing's happened :laugh: I guess that's a bit of a limitation when you have a million NPCs...
- Zanza can't just insta-kill, he has to actually kill his creations to get his life energy back from them (hence, the High Entia. He can just hit a switch and make the dormant Telethia gene spring into action and voila, he has an army to kill everyone off.)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
- Not sure how you could've missed this... but the people weren't being absorbed back into the Bionis, it was the High Entia turning into Telethia. It becomes the answer to why ancient High Entia statues have different features, and as to why the High Entian royal family wanted to be diluting the bloodline - to remove the effects of the gene. If you look at the Affinity Chart (or whatever it's called), a lot of people should be greyed out - these are High Entians you've met and done quests for that are now dead, or Telethia (:(). Those with more pure bloodlines have transformed, whilst those who are more mixed are fine (like Melia). That said, it's totally weird that the Bionis starts moving and everyone just goes about daily life like nothing's happened :laugh: I guess that's a bit of a limitation when you have a million NPCs...
[collapse=]
I was playing around three in the morning, it must have gotten a bit blurred. I could have sworn he started absorbing people before the Telethia even showed up. I know he mentioned absorbing people, I guess my brain just made the connection.

So the Monado is actually a replica made by the Machina? I thought they had just made an ordinary sword and Shulk pulled a Monado out of his soul or something with that whole bit in space with Alvis and somehow put it onto the sword. That just gives me more questions than answers, like what exactly a Monado is in the first place. I thought Zanza was the Monado.
[/collapse]

Last edited:

Lord Xanthan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Master_Xanthan
Hay guys, I'm at EVO and used mostly Shulk in Smash 4. I made it out of my pools in losers...though that's as far as I got before losing to a Mario player (ahhh, I hate FLUDD). Ah well. Here's how things went for me for anyone curious.

Attending EVO's a blast if not really exhausting btw lol. And day 1 just finished...
Would Advancing Air Slash work as a better recovery vs. the FLUDD?

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Hay guys, I'm at EVO and used mostly Shulk in Smash 4. I made it out of my pools in losers...though that's as far as I got before losing to a Mario player (ahhh, I hate FLUDD). Ah well. Here's how things went for me for anyone curious.

Attending EVO's a blast if not really exhausting btw lol. And day 1 just finished...
Fantastic effort!

Your best bet vs FLUDD is probably to simply focus on recovering high, particularly if you have platforms near you. Recovering low is super risky vs FLUDD obviously because there's no risk to Mario but maximum risk to you due to the fact that Shulk doesn't auto sweetspot the ledge. Of course recovering high and back onstage comes with its own risks, but FLUDD becomes much less of an issue.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I heard there was a Shulk somewhere in the semis/finals at EVO, but I'd missed it. I'll have to take a look if/when videos go up.

[collapse=]
I was playing around three in the morning, it must have gotten a bit blurred. I could have sworn he started absorbing people before the Telethia even showed up. I know he mentioned absorbing people, I guess my brain just made the connection.

So the Monado is actually a replica made by the Machina? I thought they had just made an ordinary sword and Shulk pulled a Monado out of his soul or something with that whole bit in space with Alvis and somehow put it onto the sword. That just gives me more questions than answers, like what exactly a Monado is in the first place. I thought Zanza was the Monado.
[/collapse]
Just to make sure... you're past the Mechonis Core (vs. Egil, Zanza gets revived), but you're not yet at the end of the game?

- With absorbing people - Zanza was giving his life force to create living beings on the Bionis, and when they die, the energy goes back to him. I don't know if they've said what triggered Zanza to want all of his life energy back by now, or if it's something they say at the end.
- For the Monado... you're talking about the green Replica Monado, right? With the space bit and Alvis, he's being his usual cryptic self, I can't really remember what he's talking about. Probably bending fate, and finding his own Monado (which isn't the Replica Monado.) Replica Monado's just a sword. This may raise a few questions, but they'll be answered (mostly).
- Nah, was just part Zanza's soul residing in the Monado. I think according to Alvis, it allows its wielder to bend ether (and therefore, everything, including the fabric of reality) to their will. There's still a few more mysteries to go, though.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, the plot gets a little hazy late-game...

D

Deleted member

I heard there was a Shulk somewhere in the semis/finals at EVO, but I'd missed it. I'll have to take a look if/when videos go up.
Unfortunately no. None of the top 32 used Shulk, according to SmashWiki.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Just to make sure... you're past the Mechonis Core (vs. Egil, Zanza gets revived), but you're not yet at the end of the game?

- With absorbing people - Zanza was giving his life force to create living beings on the Bionis, and when they die, the energy goes back to him. I don't know if they've said what triggered Zanza to want all of his life energy back by now, or if it's something they say at the end.
- For the Monado... you're talking about the green Replica Monado, right? With the space bit and Alvis, he's being his usual cryptic self, I can't really remember what he's talking about. Probably bending fate, and finding his own Monado (which isn't the Replica Monado.) Replica Monado's just a sword. This may raise a few questions, but they'll be answered (mostly).
- Nah, was just part Zanza's soul residing in the Monado. I think according to Alvis, it allows its wielder to bend ether (and therefore, everything, including the fabric of reality) to their will. There's still a few more mysteries to go, though.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, the plot gets a little hazy late-game...
[collapse=]
Yeah, Egil is dead now and I just fought off Dickson's bunch of Telethia (right after Alvis "turns"), haven't gone any further.

And yeah, Shulk has the sword Fiora put by him while he was knocked out, epic hero moment when he woke up and saved everyone. That clears up the Monado a bit for me, I guess I'll see the rest when I pick back up again.

Though now I wonder when/how Shulk is going to get his own Monado. I've already been spoiled on it, someone posted an image of Shulk with a completely glowing blue blade instead of the Monado so I'm guessing that's it.
[/collapse]

I think I'm the only one here who uses Shulk only when he has customs on.

I basically use Hyper Monado, Back slash charge and power vision.
In case if you got the notification, I accidentally liked your post. Ignore that please lol
Would Advancing Air Slash work as a better recovery vs. the FLUDD?
Not so sure about this. I don't really tinker around with advancing air slash a lot

Or customs to begin with

Last edited:

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
In case if you got the notification, I accidentally liked your post. Ignore that please lol

Not so sure about this. I don't really tinker around with advancing air slash a lot

Or customs to begin with
I'm sorry, is there a problem you would like to discuss?

@ TWILTHERO TWILTHERO Making it out of your pools is already hard work as it is. Good job.

Mario is a bit of a prick.

I don't like Charizard much. He is easy to fightm just really my least favorite fighter.

Last edited:

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
So, Zero won EVO...what a surprise. At least the tournament was very entertaining (OMG Abadango vs ESAM and Abadango in top 4) and it shows that even with customs the one who outplay the other win Iin almost every situation and there's no incredible stupid custom (Didn't see any DK or Palutena in top 32, and that bull**** villager was immediately eliminated. Plus, there was a veeeery nice Villager that almost reached top 8 without stupid camping. He was pretty fun to watch)

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
(DONT READ THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED XENOBLADE CHRONICLES.)

Something cool I found about Shulk's Classic Ending

Go to 5:50 of this vid and pause when you see half naked shulk with zelda and peach. That part of Shulk's character ending references this scene in the fallen arm when mecha fiora appears unconscious so Shulk Gives water to rejuvenate her. The Character ending is even next to a beach as well. Hype

Last edited:

Sandfall

Stage Designer
(DONT READ THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED XENOBLADE CHRONICLES.)

Something cool I found about Shulk's Classic Ending

nvm Dont know how to do a spoiler tag in smashboards so deleting it. Its not <spoiler> </spoiler> help
Replace "<" and ">" with "[" and "]"

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Thanks guys! For the record, I mostly used the Advancing Air Slash and Power Vision customs, and I used Decisive Monado Arts once. One of the times where I got edgeguarded by flood I was in Shield mode, and even with AAS, I couldn't recover. I think Jump was still in recovery, so that's why I didn't immediately tried to switch to it, but I think I could have at least turned Shield off >_<. Oh well, you live and learn.

EVO was really exciting by the way. From Mahvel, to GGXrd, to Melee, to Personan, to Street Fighter, to Smash 4, all the finals were really exciting to watch (except for MKX because I went out for lunch when that happened lol). I would definitely recommend people going next year if you at all like fighting games.

I heard Kaneblueriver won UMvC3. Holy crap. Gratz to him

Also good job to ZeRo (Was rooting for Ally or Mr R) for winning SSB4 and Armada (Was rooting for Hbox tho) for winning Melee

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

Trying something a little different from my usual Sunset Shores style. I think it looks baller on the phone cases.
Oh man... I so want this smartphone case...
I heard Kaneblueriver won UMvC3. Holy crap. Gratz to him

Also good job to ZeRo (Was rooting for Ally or Mr R) for winning SSB4 and Armada (Was rooting for Hbox tho) for winning Melee
Here in my country's gaming website, they only show one EVO news, Taiwanese USF4 professional player GamerBee got 2nd place at EVO 2015 USF4, too bad bad that there hasn't any notable Taiwanese Smasher participate EVO. So they never mentioned about Smash Bros.

And does Smash Bros (Melee+Wii U) have one of the most contestants at EVO 2015?

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Smash U was 2nd, Melee was 3rd. I think street fighter was first but don't quote me on that
So this means, if two Smash Bros combine together (Because there are some who plays both Melee and Wii U), Smash Bros is the largest.

Top Bottom