• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Alright man, the reason I have waited to reply to this is because I wanted to get all of my facts straight. So I am straight up, calling you out.
First, All of these titles were made catered to the west. Each of these games had a western audience in mind, and that is clear. Xenoblade was actually made to be a JRPG that uses western concepts, and Xenoblade X is a further testament to that! The White Whale is fricken American made, and it uses many concepts from western action RPG's. Fire Emblem awakening involved the western audience as well, changing the themes that are more westernized, and made it easier for western newcomers to get into the series. Clearly, Awakening was made with the US in mind. Bravely Default, was only made for Japan originally, yet it truly blossomed under Western growth, and has been noted by the directors of the game.

I know what you are going to say, as well. You are going to parrot developers and say that westerners are no longer interested in JRPG's. Which, quite frankly, is a lie. There is a specific reason for the decline of JRPG's..... None of them were good......
Everything Square Enix made was a steaming pile of ****(glares at FFXIII), and no other developers made anything worthwhile. Of course that would simulate in sales! If there isn't anything worth getting, of course no one would want to play a JRPG. When we do get a good one, it sells though. North America is by no means a "supplement" to Japanese sales, it is their core audience. For example, the original Xenoblade sold around 800,000 copies within its lifetime. North America alone had 400,000 copies sold. Japan, only had 300,000. Fire Emblem awakening sold around 1.5 million copies. America makes up 40% of that with 600,000 copies, while Japan lags behind with 500,000 copies. America truly saved the Fire Emblem series as a whole, that much is clearly apparent. Final Fantasy made the strides it did because of North America as well! Most notably with FFVII. America is the source of all interest in JRPG's. This is especially apparent with newer series, such as Monster Hunter, Bravely Default, and Xenoblade. Pokemon only became really huge because of a western audience as well.
Not only that, but not getting these localizations is very worry some for Nintendo.... We aren't getting Zelda Wii U... That much is apparent, yet there are no hype worthy games for the holidays. Japan gets to look forward to Fire Emblem, and Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem. We will be lucky to even get Xenoblade X.... Seriously, Xenoblade X is the only big title that westerners get to look forward to this year(that has been announced). Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Yoshi will be good... But they are small and extremely watered down compared to other big releases. Star Fox probably won't come this year either.

So Nintendo really needed to get their localization in check to provide a closer localization..... They failed to do so... Worldwide releases for text heavy games are very possible as well, as we have seen time and time again... It is ludicrous to have to wait months for a game like this(again, my apologies also go to Europe) and it certainly is bad for business. There are seemingly no "big" titles for Nintendo besides Xenoblade Chronicles X. This is extremely worrying. Japan is getting 3 Fire Emblem games, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, and Bravely Second. NA and Europe are barely getting anything this year, barring the possibility of a huge blowout of 2015 games at E3(Of which I severely doubt).
Come to think of it...yeah, there are many big titles that Japan always gets the cake first. But not suprised since well ya know, Nintendo is a Japanese company. But it always gives us a unfair feeling when those JRPG games westerners are hyped about but the information aare always for the Japanese.
And don't worry, I'm sure they will annouce some new games that makes westerners happy at E3, but yeah, kind of sad that there aren't any big games around this year.

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Summon Copy for Down B as a Reflector
Or, you know, you could use Reflection.

I feel like being able to summon elementals and discharging them is most true to Melia in Xenoblade.

Summons (in order? Wind is first because recovery):
Wind: Increases speed and jump height. discharging launches Melia upwards with windboxes on either side
Earth: Increases weight. Discharging creates a weak projectile that gives enemies flower effect
Ice: reduces damage taken. Discharging launches a semi-fast projectile that freezes for a bit (think :popo: Blizzard or Judge 8)
Flare: Increases damage dealt. Discharging creates an explosion if it hits.
Aqua: Slow regeneration. Discharging creates a slow, large projectile that doesn't disappear on hit
Bolt: Increases elemental effects and strengthens discharges. discharging creates an :4robinm: Thunder-like projectile with more range and more powerful.
Copy:a copy of the most recent elemental
Each summon has a cooldown similarly to Monado Arts

Melia sounds like the most annoying character to fight lol

SIDENOTE: I just heard the Smash Brothers Documentary theme song in a food network show?

Last edited:

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman

I feel like being able to summon elementals and discharging them is most true to Melia in Xenoblade.

Wind: Increases speed and jump height. discharging launches Melia upwards with windboxes on either side
Earth: Increases weight. Discharging creates a weak projectile that gives enemies flower effect
Ice: reduces damage taken. Discharging launches a semi-fast projectile that freezes for a bit (think :popo: Blizzard or Judge 8)
Aqua: Slow regeneration. Discharging creates a slow, large projectile that doesn't disappear on hit
Bolt: Increases elemental effects and strengthens discharges. discharging creates an :4robinm: Thunder-like projectile with more range and more powerful.

Can you explain S. Bolt's effect? Also S. Ice's effect doesn't make much sense and Wind's looks too good, you should add some drawbacks, at least for that one.

EDIT: Now it doesn't make much sense :054:

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Can you explain S. Bolt's effect? Also S. Ice's effect doesn't make much sense and Wind's looks too good, you should add some drawbacks, at least for that one.

Honestly idk I tried to translate Xenoblade effects into Smash

I guess Wind is like a super minor buff? like multiply everything by an amount that's not that noticeable like x1.05 jump height + speed. Or reduce lag or something. Agility is an OP stat in Xenoblade

Bolt I tried to mimic Ether Up. So if you have elementals up already, their effects on you are increased (more jump height, etc). Discharging elementals will also make them do more damage + knockback by a little

Earth is higher weight. Ice is reduced damage taken, so I guess think Monado Shield but split up?

Honestly idk how this is supposed to work either. Maybe with the more elementals you have, you have more lag on attacks or something?

Also why is your avatar the same as @ S.F.L.R_9 S.F.L.R_9

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman

SIDENOTE: I just heard the Smash Brothers Documentary theme song in a food network show?
This would definitely need a limit of 3 for the elementals, and icons by her character portrait to show which ones are on cooldown would need to be in place.
Also, would a bolt and 2 winds then be more effective, or 3 winds for recovery? What would her recovery be like without a wind elemental? There are more questions, but then this would be too long.

A solid idea for Melia, just needs basic balancing for a concept.
It's about as confusing as the Monado Arts were for Smash during July.
Still can't believe the reaction the previous social thread had when the person who knew about Shulk's inclusion in Smash tossed the idea in our conversation.
"Shulk using the Monado to give buffs and debuffs to himself? That wouldn't work well."

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
This would definitely need a limit of 3 for the elementals, and icons by her character portrait to show which ones are on cooldown would need to be in place.
Also, would a bolt and 2 winds then be more effective, or 3 winds for recovery? What would her recovery be like without a wind elemental? There are more questions, but then this would be too long.

A solid idea for Melia, just needs basic balancing for a concept.
I definitely agree with this. Bolt + 2 winds vs 3 winds vs 2 bolts + wind is a thing left for stats I guess

If you don't have a Wind elemental then you're screwed :D

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500

I guess Wind is like a super minor buff? like multiply everything by an amount that's not that noticeable like x1.05 jump height + speed. Or reduce lag or something. Agility is an OP stat in Xenoblade

Bolt I tried to mimic Ether Up. So if you have elementals up already, their effects on you are increased (more jump height, etc). Discharging elementals will also make them do more damage + knockback by a little

Earth is higher weight. Ice is reduced damage taken, so I guess think Monado Shield but split up?

Honestly idk how this is supposed to work either. Maybe with the more elementals you have, you have more lag on attacks or something?

To be honest I didn't even notice that we had the same avatar xD Oh well.

By the way, I really like your idea for Melia, it just needs a little bit of balancing

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I definitely agree with this. Bolt + 2 winds vs 3 winds vs 2 bolts + wind is a thing left for stats I guess

If you don't have a Wind elemental then you're screwed :D
Without a Wind elemental, you could still have a recovery like Olimar in Brawl without Pikmin, except she could stab her staff in front of her, but won't save you at all.
Would discharge then be mapped to B-up? If you had Summon Copy on B-down and Summon Elemental to B, and it would feel awkward to use B-forward to recover if it isn't a tether.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman

I know the difference, but in Pokémon the Ice Typing is a Glass Cannon.

And I changed my pic a day or less before him XD

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
On the morning news a couple of weeks ago they ran a story, and what was the song they chose to use in the background? I kid you not, it was "Gotta Go Fast". Whoever snuck that in must be pretty proud of themself.
:sonic::4sonic::sonic::4sonic::sonic::4sonic:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I am bit late on this one, but here I go.
Even though I would love more Xenoblade representation, I would not want anyone from Xenoblade Chronicles in Smash 4. I think X deserves more attention for sales, plus Elma would truly be unique as she would be the only one in the Smash Universe that would use a gun(Barring Snake or Bayonetta DLC). This would also increase X sales, which is what we all want... I want Xenoblade X to sell as many copies as possible.

On that topic.......
I have something to say, to each and every one of you.
We need to be in charge of making Xenoblade X popular. It is our duty to this glorious series. Recommend this game to anyone you find, especially Zelda fans.... We have the Zelda Wii U delay.... That really sucks.... Tell other Zelda fans that this game will help pass the time until Zelda is released. Make this game a hit! If we can do that, then we may get rewarded along the way. So... I guess you can say... IT'S REYN TIME BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ALLLLLLLLIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMPPPPPPPPPPHHHH

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
We should be discussing that in her support thread...
I like the ideas brought up here.
:J
I'll go quote my posts there.
I am bit late on this one, but here I go.
Even though I would love more Xenoblade representation, I would not want anyone from Xenoblade Chronicles in Smash 4. I think X deserves more attention for sales, plus Elma would truly be unique as she would be the only one in the Smash Universe that would use a gun(Barring Snake or Bayonetta DLC). This would also increase X sales, which is what we all want... I want Xenoblade X to sell as many copies as possible.
The problem with Xenoblade X characters that I see is that it's hard to translate guns, especially machine guns, into Smash. Otherwise I'd be all for it.

It's the same reason that Sharla simply would not work as a fighter.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I'll go quote my posts there.

The problem with Xenoblade X characters that I see is that it's hard to translate guns, especially machine guns, into Smash. Otherwise I'd be all for it.

It's the same reason that Sharla simply would not work as a fighter.
On second thought, we already kind of have Machine guns in the form of Mii Gunner. Additionally, for Elma, her default designs for the guns look outlandish enough to be in smash, as they also are swords as well.

I think she would work in the confines of Smash, and she has a ton of potential. I actually voted for her in the Smash Ballot, haha. She is also easily the main character of Xenoblade X and the leader of your party. Cross is just hitching a ride with her, haha.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Hey guys (I know I am late, again), thanks for the thread title :)

I mean voting for Isaac obviously!

I would have loved to vote for Melia but all my possible votes are going to Isaac. Gotta go some more GS representation before more Xenoblade representation (plus Xenoblade X now deserves a bigger chance). After all, I want the protagonists of my two favourite RPGs, Isaac and Shulk to Smash together!

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
On second thought, we already kind of have Machine guns in the form of Mii Gunner. Additionally, for Elma, her default designs for the guns look outlandish enough to be in smash, as they also are swords as well.

I think she would work in the confines of Smash, and she has a ton of potential. I actually voted for her in the Smash Ballot, haha. She is also easily the main character of Xenoblade X and the leader of your party. Cross is just hitching a ride with her, haha.
I remember in the battle trailer of Xenoblade X, in the last part where they are facing the female alien, when they hear her blabling until Elma fires her gun and shouted "Shut Up!", so cool.
Hey guys (I know I am late, again), thanks for the thread title :)

I mean voting for Isaac obviously!

I would have loved to vote for Melia but all my possible votes are going to Isaac. Gotta go some more GS representation before more Xenoblade representation (plus Xenoblade X now deserves a bigger chance). After all, I want the protagonists of my two favourite RPGs, Isaac and Shulk to Smash together!
With you!
The biggest reason that why I think Isaac could be in, is because he was absent in Smash4 as an assist trophy, this gives us a big hint that Isaac might join the crew!

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I remember in the battle trailer of Xenoblade X, in the last part where they are facing the female alien, when they hear her blabling until Elma fires her gun and shouted "Shut Up!", so cool.

With you!
The biggest reason that why I think Isaac could be in, is because he was absent in Smash4 as an assist trophy, this gives us a big hint that Isaac might join the crew!
I know. I have to say, I wasn't too keen on Elma as a character. I thought she was pretty bland. She heavily grew on me though.
I have to say, I really do love all of the characters shown so far with X.
I mean, you have Lynlee, a Female Reyn that can cook, and is as cute as all hell
Elma, a recognized badass who will do anything to protect those she loves
We haven't seen that much of the other characters, but everything we have seen is downright amazing.

The same cannot be said for what we have seen for FFXV characters............

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09

Elma's cool blah blah blah. She still ain't no Fiora. Drones ftw.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Elma's cool blah blah blah. She still ain't no Fiora. Drones ftw.

Elma does not take kindly to Machines. Why don't you get out of here before we have to bring the dolls out? Oh wait.... Elma can take Fiora by herself with her overclock gear. Oh right........
Well....
Good Bye Fiora.

On another topic.
I think this video is hilarious
(DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVEN'T BEAT XENOBLADE. MAJOR SPOILERS RIGHT HERE)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Elma does not take kindly to Machines. Why don't you get out of here before we have to bring the dolls out? Oh wait.... Elma can take Fiora by herself with her overclock gear. Oh right........
Well....
Good Bye Fiora.

On another topic.
I think this video is hilarious
(DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVEN'T BEAT XENOBLADE. MAJOR SPOILERS RIGHT HERE)
Kind of ironic fighting a machine with a machine (Dolls) though, right?

Well technically fighting a cyborg with a machine but you know what I mean

Also...thanks, Hiroyuki. :troll:

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
Well....
Good Bye Fiora.
That's not what I meant. Elma may be cool and all, and Xenoblade X is coming up, but I still think Fiora is the better choice. I really do feel drones make Fiora a better candidate over Elma. There's a lot you could do with switching drones alongside her arts.

And why are we thanking Hiroyuki again?

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
This is sort of out place. But I feel bad for Melia in Xenoblade. She goes through so much yet she still keeps fighting with the other 6 party members.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Melia definitely has it the worst out of the entire party thought Sharla having to deal with her brother being Juju is a close contender :^)
Melia is very admirable; she puts others before her even though she's gone through so much.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I know. I have to say, I wasn't too keen on Elma as a character. I thought she was pretty bland. She heavily grew on me though.
I have to say, I really do love all of the characters shown so far with X.
I mean, you have Lynlee, a Female Reyn that can cook, and is as cute as all hell
Elma, a recognized badass who will do anything to protect those she loves
We haven't seen that much of the other characters, but everything we have seen is downright amazing.

The same cannot be said for what we have seen for FFXV characters............
And my brother seems to found Tatsu in Xenoblade Chronicles, he looks a bit different and I know he is called Satata in other regions besides French and Japanese. But since the X trailer is Japanese, so if there's a worldwide trailer and Tatsu has his named changed to Satata, then wow.

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
thought Sharla having to deal with her brother being Juju is a close contender :^)
I never found Juju that annoying really... Maybe I'm weird though

And my brother seems to found Tatsu in Xenoblade Chronicles, he looks a bit different and I know he is called Satata in other regions besides French and Japanese. But since the X trailer is Japanese, so if there's a worldwide trailer and Tatsu has his named changed to Satata, then wow.
If it's the same Nopon I will be very excited - connections! :D

#Tatsu4DLC

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I never found Juju that annoying really... Maybe I'm weird though

If it's the same Nopon I will be very excited - connections! :D

#Tatsu4DLC
Yeah, kind of excited to see a Xenoblade connected character.
Only if Tatsu has it's name changed to Satata in the worldwide version trailer.

D

Deleted member

#XenobladeGameCase4DLC
#Xenoblade3DGameCaseAlt
#XenobladeXGameCaseAlt

Lozjam

Smash Champion
#TerritorialRotbart4DLC
#ImmovableGonzalez4DLC

Also:
Completely relevant to the conversation.
yup, you're right.
Tasty even has the same hat and glasses as his Xenoblade counterpart. I really want Xenoblade X, but Reggie is withholding it from us with his body....
Sigh..........
I guess I will just have to beat Xenoblade Chronicles like 3 times while I wait....

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Haven't been here in a while, but I'm with all the melia support. <3

While I have a bunch of characters I rather get in before Melia, Melia is probably my favorite other Xenoblade character to get in.

Granted, I still think Fiora deserves it more.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
#AvalancheAbaasy4DLC
(He's not too big!)
#Bionis4DLC
(Still not that big...) If you're playing on Gaur Plain when someone is playing as the Bionis, then Gonzo will take its place.
#ImmovableGonzalez4DLC

Also:
Completely relevant to the conversation.
That is quite literally the only one of @Aggyyu 's fine masterpieces you can watch without spoiling too much of the game.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Team Fiora all the way.
Hehehe. Glad to see you are modding the Shulk boards.

A fun place. (That I need to visit more).

@berserker01 is a pretty cool guy also who is always hard at work to find out more about using Shulk.

Hope you enjoy your time as mod here.

Though, you already did something wrong. Melia >Fiora.

Top Bottom