• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I wanted to see if I could find it without the text, but I guess it doesn't exist. Thanks!
You could probably find some sort of Youtube video -> gif converter somewhere

and then find the cutscene and take that part and make the gif out of that

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
(In response to beserker) -
There's some mad Sheiks in my area. Any worthwhile tips to pass on from this Shulk guy?

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Doubles tournament today. :4shulk::4miigun: vs. The World. To be honest, I think they paired pretty well as you've got the Gunner at distance and Shulk up close.

We beat :4sheik::4falcon:, lost to :4ness::4yoshi:, beat :4mario::4falcon:, lost to :4falcon::4diddy:. The guys who won typically play :4ganondorf: and :4falcon: in Singles, but I'm not sure if they played them today. Pretty fun.

- Got off a spike during Smash Art. Awwww yeah.
- Shulk can get proper Back Slashes off grab holds/throws. This is very nice. If you do hit your teammate during it, they're gonna take a front hit (unless it's a back-throw (and I'm honestly not sure about direction off up-throws)).
- Ness is a pain for me in general... PK Fire. Think I have a bit of a matchup to learn. Also, receiving Yoshi's dair when in Buster is... ouch.
- This is the first time I've fought a "competitive" Diddy Kong. Whilst I don't want to criticise the player (especially since I lost, so clearly they did something right), but I feel they didn't even use his tools that well. Don't think I saw a single banana, for example. I did however get brutally violated by his aerials and grab combos, including the infamous hoo-hah. I now properly understand why people could hate him, he got some disgustingly early KOs. That said, I'm not gonna cry about it, the solution is once again "git gud".
- For Doubles, I'm gonna have to get better at keeping an eye on the whole stage. First match I'm chilling on 190% on my first stock and then realised my teammate was on his last.

Whilst I can't say for sure... yeah, I think I'm getting better. Made some good plays. I'm certainly improving against Captain Falcons, haha.

@ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU

He's busy atm so he can't really give tips. Tbh, he said that the Grand Finals win was sort of stolen. He'll PM me later in FB. He's busy with exam week. Haha. Please understand

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
@ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU

He's busy atm so he can't really give tips. Tbh, he said that the Grand Finals win was sort of stolen. He'll PM me later in FB. He's busy with exam week. Haha. Please understand
:laugh: No problem, and no rush. Just curious.
I understand exam weeks all too well....

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I'm so tired of Shulk memes. Every time Xenoblade is mentioned in my classmates conversations they immediately spout "Feeling It" memes. Thank you so much Sakurai.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm so tired of Shulk memes. Every time Xenoblade is mentioned in my classmates conversations they immediately spout "Feeling It" memes. Thank you so much Sakurai.
What do you expect when that's all the majority knows about him? Would you have preferred
he be left out of Smash 4 to be untarnished by Smash peasants?

There are tons of character memes from Smash: Kirby's "Hiiiiii", almost everything that comes out of Falcon's
mouth ("YESZ"), Falco's Brawl taunts being left open to interpretation (cake and bread), Ike memes,
"YOU'RE TOO SLOW!!" (this even carried over to comics!), Killager etc.

Even if widespread awareness of Shulk is mostly incorrect, it's still awareness that will ultimately
help his game and his series.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

I'd rather have him in Smash with dumb memes than not in Smash. But still... I know the feeling.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I'm okay with feeling it puns and the like, those aren't too bad. I DO hate when people who have never played Xenoblade run around spouting "I'M REALLY FEELING IT" like a bunch of idiots.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I'm okay with feeling it puns and the like, those aren't too bad. I DO hate when people who have never played Xenoblade run around spouting "I'M REALLY FEELING IT" like a bunch of idiots.
I know they are annoying but we can't really do anything about that, all we can do is just hope it will die down when Xenoblade for the 3ds come out so people will have a chance to play the game and get to know Shulk as a character more.

D

Deleted member

I said this in another thread and I'll say it again: I'm fine with people using "I'm really feeling it!" to express excitement or satisfaction, but that's where I draw the line. The meme was funny when Shulk was first revealed, but then it quickly got old.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I changed my text ringtone to I'm really feeling it. I keep praying someone will text me so I have an excuse to mention (and promote) Xenoblade.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
People like those probably just don't really care about the character and likely have
no interest in playing his game anyway, since it's not a very well established brand yet.

D

Deleted member

I am not a huge fan of "I'm really feeling it."
The jokes were initially funny, but they got very old over time. The joke is annoying to me because it reduces Shulk, an incredibly detailed and written character, be reduced to the "feels guy." I mean, I am OK if you say the meme and you have played Xenoblade, but I just hate it when people who haven't just spout the line. Like, I get it; it's funny to you. Now go and play Xenoblade.
I will say this though: I will never, ever taunt with Shulk ever again. This video makes me not want to taunt with him anymore, even in Shulk dittos where 99% of the time my opponent could taunt "I'm really feeling it." Still, I'm glad he is in than not and I guess the memes can help give Xenoblade more notoriety.

Last edited by a moderator:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
The jokes were initially funny, but they got very old over time. The joke is annoying to me because it reduces Shulk, an incredibly detailed and written character, be reduced to the "feels guy." I mean, I am OK if you say the meme and you have played Xenoblade, but I just hate it when people who haven't just spout the line. Like, I get it; it's funny to you. Now go and play Xenoblade.
I will say this though: I will never, ever taunt with Shulk ever again. This video makes me not want to taunt with him anymore, even in Shulk dittos where 99% of the time my opponent could taunt "I'm really feeling it." Still, I'm glad he is in than not and I guess the memes can help give Xenoblade more notoriety.
Yeah it sucks that a lot of people associate Shulk with those stupid memes, he's actually pretty likable in xenoblade too.
Also THIS IS THE MONADO'S POWAH is better anyway.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it sucks that a lot of people associate Shulk with those stupid memes, he's actually pretty likable in xenoblade too.
Also THIS IS THE MONADO'S POWAH is better anyway.
I switch it up from the Monado's Power to Shulk time depending on the situation. If I take a stock off quickly, it's the Monado's Power, but if I die and then start a comeback, it's Shulk time.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I changed my text ringtone to I'm really feeling it. I keep praying someone will text me so I have an excuse to mention (and promote) Xenoblade.
smh no Reyn time 0/10

I can send you a file if you want
I really don't like "I'm really feeling it" because everyone says it in the stupidest way possible. Even chuggaaconroy. ESPECIALLY chuggaaconroy

Shulks should always default to down taunt imo
dtaunt > utaunt > staunt

although staunt is good for making people salty :salt:

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
My notification ringtone is "Man, what a buncha jokers," and my phone ringtone is "Now it's Reyn time."

I like my notification ringtone, but I'm still iffy with my phone ringtone. I want to experiment more, but I can't think of something good.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
My notification ringtone is "Man, what a buncha jokers," and my phone ringtone is "Now it's Reyn time."

I like my notification ringtone, but I'm still iffy with my phone ringtone. I want to experiment more, but I can't think of something good.
Notification ringtone is Reyn time for me.

Phone ringtone varies. People not in my contacts are "One Who Gets in Our Way", people in my contacts are either "Unfinished Battle" or "You Will Know Our Names"

I tried to make my ringtones make sense.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I don't even know how to get custom ringtones on my phone. I figured it out at some point, though, cause my ringtone is the Luigi's Mansion GB Horror ringtone.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
You're all spreading the good word. I love you all.

Once I get a chance, I'm going to have to do the same. I'd set my ringtone to You Will Know Our Names, but I get the feeling my instinctive reaction when I hear it would be to jump up and look around for an enemy.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
All the talk about the "I'm really feeling it" meme I think it's the perfect time to post this again.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
You're all spreading the good word. I love you all.

Once I get a chance, I'm going to have to do the same. I'd set my ringtone to You Will Know Our Names, but I get the feeling my instinctive reaction when I hear it would be to jump up and look around for an enemy.

Kind of want to change my text notification to the MGS alert sound now. I thought of changing my ringtone to You Will Know Our Names, but I can't find a good 30 second chunk of it to loop endlessly. I want something that I'll hear and immediately think "I need to answer my phone," but that won't be extremely disruptive or embarrassing if it goes off in class or a meeting. Currently it's Snowman from the Mother soundtrack, which I had for the holiday season, but for my new ringtone I want to promote Xenoblade. I mean, it's not like Nintendo will do it...

I never understood why people freaked out so much about YWKON playing until I started playing with the volume up. Nothing worse than "heropon like fighting easy monsters, i don't have time for small fr- oh my god that song run for it just run for it." On New Game+, my worry is less being defeated by unique monsters and more that I'll accidentally kill one needed for a quest and then I'll have to keep reloading to get it to spawn again (I'm looking at you, Sunshine Schvaik, attacking me twice and then not showing up when I needed to slay you for the Zazadan quest).

I personally don't mind the memes. The people who are committed to viewing Shulk as meme-man probably wouldn't have ever checked out Xenoblade anyway, and I think the publicity it gets Shulk (and Xenoblade) outweighs how overdone the memes are. Look at Captain Falcon - the guy is nothing but a meme at this point, but it keeps him in the "public" eye since his series has stalled. With regards to Xenoblade, I say all publicity is good publicity. But that's just me.
creep.gif

EDIT: Changing my ringtone to a loop of Gaur Plains. You know, the section right after the drum goes "pow pow pow..."

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
A few times in particular come to mind for me, with You Will Know Our Names meaning RUUUUUNNNNN
1) Bionis' Leg, walking down the cave to the Tirkin Headquarters. A Tirkin comes along the corridor but turns around and runs back towards the base. I assumed it didn't see me. I keep going along, then suddenly [music] and about 10 health bars appeared on the screen and they all started swarming towards the cave. That damn bird alerted the whole area to my presence!
2) Sword Valley, going through one of the small outposts. A small four-legged Mechon hears me but for some reason runs away, up-stairs. Thought it was weird but remembered the Tirkins - chased it into a room with a Unique Mechon, but I was too slow. Ran upstairs, then straight back down. I really hope this kind of "sentry AI" returns in XCX, because it was a neat addition.
3) When you hear the song and turn around to meet Territorial Rotbart. Shout-out to Clifftop Bayern as well, I suppose.

Another story that's sort-of connected... Tephra Cave, Round 2. Since all the spiders were sound-alerted, my Lv70 self decided to see how far I could get through without causing a fight. Got all the way through to the end - ran down one pathway which led to near the Arachno Queen nest, and the other led to a dead end. I walked down to the dead end to see if there was anything to interact with, then suddenly the game remembered "Oh yeah. I'm supposed to load a Lv. 98 Unique Arachno here. Here you go." I have a heart attack as this thing spawns on my face and look at this thing - it's sight alerted but has its back to me. Purely on reaction, I took a quick step back so it wouldn't see me... and alerted a regular Lv 90+ Arachno. So I had to run from that, alerting every other enemy and cocoon on the way out. Managed to jump down some hole that put me in another section I'd not visited with, dropped into a rock pool guarded by killer Bunnits. That run was of the most terrifying and amazing experiences I've had with this game.

Xenoblade Hero

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1891-1509-5006
Long time lurker, but just another Shulk main posting to say hello. Got a tournament coming up so I feel I should get more involved in the community beforehand

As for the "Feeling It" meme, yeah, it's bad at representing Xenoblade but hopefully it'll encourage people to buy Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 3DS when it comes out, then they'll really understand the feels (no pun intended). It's yet to grate on me anyway!

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
Long time lurker, but just another Shulk main posting to say hello. Got a tournament coming up so I feel I should get more involved in the community beforehand

As for the "Feeling It" meme, yeah, it's bad at representing Xenoblade but hopefully it'll encourage people to buy Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 3DS when it comes out, then they'll really understand the feels (no pun intended). It's yet to grate on me anyway!
Welcome Xenoblade Hero! Wish you luck on the tournament. Make the competion Know Your Name!

A few times in particular come to mind for me, with You Will Know Our Names meaning RUUUUUNNNNN
1) Bionis' Leg, walking down the cave to the Tirkin Headquarters. A Tirkin comes along the corridor but turns around and runs back towards the base. I assumed it didn't see me. I keep going along, then suddenly [music] and about 10 health bars appeared on the screen and they all started swarming towards the cave. That damn bird alerted the whole area to my presence!
2) Sword Valley, going through one of the small outposts. A small four-legged Mechon hears me but for some reason runs away, up-stairs. Thought it was weird but remembered the Tirkins - chased it into a room with a Unique Mechon, but I was too slow. Ran upstairs, then straight back down. I really hope this kind of "sentry AI" returns in XCX, because it was a neat addition.
3) When you hear the song and turn around to meet Territorial Rotbart. Shout-out to Clifftop Bayern as well, I suppose.

Another story that's sort-of connected... Tephra Cave, Round 2. Since all the spiders were sound-alerted, my Lv70 self decided to see how far I could get through without causing a fight. Got all the way through to the end - ran down one pathway which led to near the Arachno Queen nest, and the other led to a dead end. I walked down to the dead end to see if there was anything to interact with, then suddenly the game remembered "Oh yeah. I'm supposed to load a Lv. 98 Unique Arachno here. Here you go." I have a heart attack as this thing spawns on my face and look at this thing - it's sight alerted but has its back to me. Purely on reaction, I took a quick step back so it wouldn't see me... and alerted a regular Lv 90+ Arachno. So I had to run from that, alerting every other enemy and cocoon on the way out. Managed to jump down some hole that put me in another section I'd not visited with, dropped into a rock pool guarded by killer Bunnits. That run was of the most terrifying and amazing experiences I've had with this game.
Glad I wasn''t the only who had those moments (especially Tephera Cave Round 2....). Admittedly it's probably because of those events that I ended up enjoying Xenoblade a lot, and one moments in particular.

On the way to Colony 6, I started to explore and see how many landmarks I can find for future events and a group of Mechon started attacking Shulk from out of nowhere. I turn around to fight back, and the next thing I see are 15 health bars of pure Mechon all targeted at Shulk... and I choose to stay and fight my way out. It stared off bleak with Reyn and Sharla falling more often than not, Shulk trying to survive the Mechon Army with a combination of Light Heal and Buster, and trying to bring back Reyn and Sharla whenever possible. To add insult to injury, I kept getting Visions of impending doom for my teammates and all I could do was watch the event unfold because my arts weren't available at the moment. Eventually I would get a vision of Shulk getting killed from sharing Agro with the team and I decided to gamble with a Chain Attack since I was convinced I would die anyway. It was at that moment I realized the power of the Chain Attack and the fight started shift to in my favor. The team morale was rising, the music started to change from despair to intense , and the weather changed into a thunderstorm; one Enchant later and the group was ready fight the rest of the Mechon Army. Reinforcements came constantly shortly afterwords, but it didn't matter. One after another, the Mechon fell and at the end of the day, I had survived the Mechon Army, complete with a lot of level ups. At that point, I felt ready to take on both Metal Face and Xord at the same time if I had to. I had plenty of scary moments like Alvis had said earlier, but this was possibly the most memorable experience for me in Xenoblade.

Last edited:

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
As long as they don't advertise the series using this meme constantly everything will be fine.

Raccoonman_900

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RMan_900
3DS FC
1418-6736-6840
Switch FC
SW-5350-0976-4122
For some reason, when I entered the thread, Smashboards had a glitch where everything stretched out to the right and it wasn't correct, so I refreshed and now it's fixed. Weird, isn't it?

Anyways, I actually ordered a Shulk amiibo off of Amazon before they were sold out. Glad I was able to do so, and now I wait for next Monday for it to arrive.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Thanks! I'm from the UK so even small tournaments like this don't appear very often. Looking at the posts here I've got a lot to read up on
I'm curious as to how you feel about the voice acting in Xenoblade. I've heard (UK) people say "Shulk is too posh-sounding" and "Shulk's an American trying to sound British" (even though his voice actor was born in London), but I haven't heard much of anything with regards to the rest of the cast. I once saw someone describe Xord's accent as "the creepy uncle from London who drinks too much and makes everyone uncomfortable," which was incredible, and someone called Dunban's voice "stereotypical British war hero," but that's all.

I'd like to know if the less posh accents (Reyn, Sharla, Xord, Metal Face) sound well done or like ridiculous caricatures of whatever they're supposed to be. Xord sounds like really exaggerated Cockney, but I've never been around actual Cockney dialect speakers, so I can't say.

Top Bottom