• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

D

Deleted member

I finally have the Mechonis line of trophies unlocked!
And you want to know the sad part?
I used a Golden Hammer on the challenge where you get the Bionis trophy (which is getting three checkpoints in a single Smash Tour)...
No Mechonis trophies appeared.
I finally beat the challenge and then they started to appear.

So, in essence, I wasted a Golden Hammer.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Kind of want to change my text notification to the MGS alert sound now. I thought of changing my ringtone to You Will Know Our Names, but I can't find a good 30 second chunk of it to loop endlessly. I want something that I'll hear and immediately think "I need to answer my phone," but that won't be extremely disruptive or embarrassing if it goes off in class or a meeting. Currently it's Snowman from the Mother soundtrack, which I had for the holiday season, but for my new ringtone I want to promote Xenoblade. I mean, it's not like Nintendo will do it...
I've got 3 versions of YWKON and 3 versions of Unfinished Battle, if you want them.

Also have one of OWGIOW (I don't think I've ever seen this acronym before)

If anyone else wants them feel free to message or something :p

D

Deleted member

You'll probably regret using that hammer later on.
I kinda already do...
I don't really intend on completing Smash 4 anyway. Some of the challenges are way too ridiculous (who was the demon who thought clearing All-Star with all characters on hard was OK?).

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
I kinda already do...
I don't really intend on completing Smash 4 anyway. Some of the challenges are way too ridiculous (who was the demon who thought clearing All-Star with all characters on hard was OK?).
And THAT was one of the challenges I used my hammer on.
I've only got one challenge left though (9.0 no lives lost) so I'm in the home stretch.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I'm curious as to how you feel about the voice acting in Xenoblade. I've heard (UK) people say "Shulk is too posh-sounding" and "Shulk's an American trying to sound British" (even though his voice actor was born in London), but I haven't heard much of anything with regards to the rest of the cast. I once saw someone describe Xord's accent as "the creepy uncle from London who drinks too much and makes everyone uncomfortable," which was incredible, and someone called Dunban's voice "stereotypical British war hero," but that's all.

I'd like to know if the less posh accents (Reyn, Sharla, Xord, Metal Face) sound well done or like ridiculous caricatures of whatever they're supposed to be. Xord sounds like really exaggerated Cockney, but I've never been around actual Cockney dialect speakers, so I can't say.
Well I'm not from the UK... but I really like it. It's a welcome change of pace from the American accents we usually get. Xord does sound exaggerated but within the realm of "possible" to me. It doesn't help with his grainy battle voice clips ("FEELS LIKE A FLY BIT ME!", "WANT SOME MORE?! MONADO MORON!" *speakers explode*). Metal Face's is almost certainly made to sound more evil. Surely no one can really have that voice.

None of the accents are false as far as I know - the playable characters' VAs are all British, at least.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I've gone through most of the challenges in the Wii U version without using a single gold hammer. All I have left to clear is the top few rows...and the one in the bottom middle, that makes you steal your stat boosts back from a Metroid. YOUR stats, so you have to get your stats stolen from a Metroid and somehow run into it again, before someone else does. Which is incredibly hard to do with CPU opponents. Thus I've lost the will to finish the challenges right now. .-.

Unfortunately for me, I have all but one challenge in the 3DS version complete, with no gold hammers. The top-right corner of the 3rd panel, which requires ALL custom items. I have all the moves, and all the outfits, but I'm missing three hats, which I will absolutely never find, no matter how much I cry, no matter how many satanic sacrifices I make. Screw you RNG, screw you Sakurai. :cry:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
you steal your stat boosts back from a Metroid. YOUR stats, so you have to get your stats stolen from a Metroid and somehow run into it again, before someone else does. Which is incredibly hard to do with CPU opponents. Thus I've lost the will to finish the challenges right now. .-.
I got that one accidentally while playing. The smash tour challenge that is giving me the most trouble is getting to the end with I think 10 characters.

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
I got that one accidentally while playing. The smash tour challenge that is giving me the most trouble is getting to the end with I think 10 characters.
That challenge is the sole reason why I have a love-hate relationship with Smash Tour. There are things I really enjoy, and I feel there's some form of strategy in this mode. Everytime I tried to do this challenge, I got royally screwed in some shape or form by the game. The one that stands out is this moment: Got 10 Characters? Let's give P1 a taste of Darkrai (Puts target to sleep), Wolfen (Inflict 100% on the Target), and Ressiti (All Stats are set reset to 0 for the fight) on the last turn just to make sure you don't clear the challenge. To add insult to injury, the cpus timed each other out in that fight, essentially telling me I'm not clearing this challenge and we're not letting you use Shulk so you can fun. (And now, my friends secretly plot to that combination to me whenever we play Smash Tour and I have Shulk on the team...)

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I don't want to rub it in, but... I got that without even trying for it. I've done it twice, actually. Guess I just got lucky.

Can you cheat by putting four people in and getting them to SD, or does it not count?

Xenoblade Hero

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1891-1509-5006
I'm curious as to how you feel about the voice acting in Xenoblade. I've heard (UK) people say "Shulk is too posh-sounding" and "Shulk's an American trying to sound British" (even though his voice actor was born in London), but I haven't heard much of anything with regards to the rest of the cast. I once saw someone describe Xord's accent as "the creepy uncle from London who drinks too much and makes everyone uncomfortable," which was incredible, and someone called Dunban's voice "stereotypical British war hero," but that's all.

I'd like to know if the less posh accents (Reyn, Sharla, Xord, Metal Face) sound well done or like ridiculous caricatures of whatever they're supposed to be. Xord sounds like really exaggerated Cockney, but I've never been around actual Cockney dialect speakers, so I can't say.
Very good question actually. Initially I wasn't used to the voice acting as an almost entirely British cast is very rare. Outside of more dramatic moments of the game where Shulk's voice is louder and somewhat more exaggerated I feel his acting is well done, he certainly sounds like he's well spoken but it's not over-emphasised and it may just take some adjusting from people in other continents to get used to. Melia's voice acting is, oddly, the only one out of the party characters I would say is overdone and she sounds like Victorian royalty but she's one of my favourite characters and it's a bit of a shame the story near the end doesn't branch out to include her a bit more.

Reyn sounds like someone who's a laugh and I think he's accent is actually authentic because there's people who I know who sound almost exactly like that; it's not exaggerated at all. In honesty Reyn's accent is probably one of my favourites in Xenoblade due to how spot-on it is (think the only voice clip I can say it's a bit too much is when he says "Alley-Oop" when he jumps). Xord's voice is heavily filtered so that more than likely emphasises his voice to a degree where I can't help but laugh when listening to it. I think that voice is probably more like a caricature and really heavy at the end of words when it should be the same amount of influence throughout the sentence when speaking naturally. Then again he's almost always shouting in dialogue so that may also be an explanation. I have similar views with Metal Face where the filter makes the accent seem too powerful, making him sound more like a cartoon villain.

tl;dr From a British perspective the voice acting is very well done for the most part, some parts exaggerate it (Melia, most of the Mechonis villians) but it's never intolerable for me. Hope this gives you some insight on what we think of it!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That challenge is the sole reason why I have a love-hate relationship with Smash Tour. There are things I really enjoy, and I feel there's some form of strategy in this mode. Everytime I tried to do this challenge, I got royally screwed in some shape or form by the game. The one that stands out is this moment: Got 10 Characters? Let's give P1 a taste of Darkrai (Puts target to sleep), Wolfen (Inflict 100% on the Target), and Ressiti (All Stats are set reset to 0 for the fight) on the last turn just to make sure you don't clear the challenge. To add insult to injury, the cpus timed each other out in that fight, essentially telling me I'm not clearing this challenge and we're not letting you use Shulk so you can fun. (And now, my friends secretly plot to that combination to me whenever we play Smash Tour and I have Shulk on the team...)
The computer literally only targets whoever is in the lead with those items, and, because they're stuck at like, level
3 or something, they're probably going to use them on you all the time.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Melia's voice acting is, oddly, the only one out of the party characters I would say is overdone and she sounds like Victorian royalty but she's one of my favourite characters and it's a bit of a shame the story near the end doesn't branch out to include her a bit more.
I'll preface this by saying "I'm not saying you're wrong, but just a bit of info". Being a bit of a Doctor Who fan, I can say that Melia's accent is legitimately the accent of her voice actor. The kind of vocabulary Melia uses does lend to that feeling if it being played upon, though. Admittedly in some of the highly emotional moments Melia sounds a bit odd so maybe it's overdone... but I think it's the voice being overdone and not the accent.

Last edited:

Xenoblade Hero

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1891-1509-5006
I'll preface this by saying "I'm not saying you're wrong, but just a bit of info". Being a bit of a Doctor Who fan, I can say that Melia's accent is legitimately the accent of her voice actor. The kind of vocabulary Melia uses does lend to that feeling if it being played upon, though. Admittedly in some of the highly emotional moments Melia sounds a bit odd so maybe it's overdone... but I think it's the voice being overdone and not the accent.
Yeah actually I can agree with it being the voice and not the accent, I probably phrased that badly!

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
Very good question actually. Initially I wasn't used to the voice acting as an almost entirely British cast is very rare. Outside of more dramatic moments of the game where Shulk's voice is louder and somewhat more exaggerated I feel his acting is well done, he certainly sounds like he's well spoken but it's not over-emphasised and it may just take some adjusting from people in other continents to get used to. Melia's voice acting is, oddly, the only one out of the party characters I would say is overdone and she sounds like Victorian royalty but she's one of my favourite characters and it's a bit of a shame the story near the end doesn't branch out to include her a bit more.

Reyn sounds like someone who's a laugh and I think he's accent is actually authentic because there's people who I know who sound almost exactly like that; it's not exaggerated at all. In honesty Reyn's accent is probably one of my favourites in Xenoblade due to how spot-on it is (think the only voice clip I can say it's a bit too much is when he says "Alley-Oop" when he jumps). Xord's voice is heavily filtered so that more than likely emphasises his voice to a degree where I can't help but laugh when listening to it. I think that voice is probably more like a caricature and really heavy at the end of words when it should be the same amount of influence throughout the sentence when speaking naturally. Then again he's almost always shouting in dialogue so that may also be an explanation. I have similar views with Metal Face where the filter makes the accent seem too powerful, making him sound more like a cartoon villain.

tl;dr From a British perspective the voice acting is very well done for the most part, some parts exaggerate it (Melia, most of the Mechonis villians) but it's never intolerable for me. Hope this gives you some insight on what we think of it!
What about guys like Egil and Zanza?

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Smash Tour isn't THAT bad... I get why people don't like it but it shouldn't be hated that much.

Can you cheat by putting four people in and getting them to SD, or does it not count?
I would assume so. At least punch each of them before they die so it counts as your kill

really if you have 4 remotes (and probably most people have 4 remotes, and wiimotes are not hard to find) Smash Tour isn't that bad.

Except get your stat boosts back from a Metroid.

Screw that.

D

Deleted member

really if you have 4 remotes (and probably most people have 4 remotes, and wiimotes are not hard to find) Smash Tour isn't that bad.

Except get your stat boosts back from a Metroid.

Screw that.
I luckily completed that challenge in one try with only three controllers.

Last edited by a moderator:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
A few times in particular come to mind for me, with You Will Know Our Names meaning RUUUUUNNNNN
1) Bionis' Leg, walking down the cave to the Tirkin Headquarters. A Tirkin comes along the corridor but turns around and runs back towards the base. I assumed it didn't see me. I keep going along, then suddenly [music] and about 10 health bars appeared on the screen and they all started swarming towards the cave. That damn bird alerted the whole area to my presence!
2) Sword Valley, going through one of the small outposts. A small four-legged Mechon hears me but for some reason runs away, up-stairs. Thought it was weird but remembered the Tirkins - chased it into a room with a Unique Mechon, but I was too slow. Ran upstairs, then straight back down. I really hope this kind of "sentry AI" returns in XCX, because it was a neat addition.
3) When you hear the song and turn around to meet Territorial Rotbart. Shout-out to Clifftop Bayern as well, I suppose.

Another story that's sort-of connected... Tephra Cave, Round 2. Since all the spiders were sound-alerted, my Lv70 self decided to see how far I could get through without causing a fight. Got all the way through to the end - ran down one pathway which led to near the Arachno Queen nest, and the other led to a dead end. I walked down to the dead end to see if there was anything to interact with, then suddenly the game remembered "Oh yeah. I'm supposed to load a Lv. 98 Unique Arachno here. Here you go." I have a heart attack as this thing spawns on my face and look at this thing - it's sight alerted but has its back to me. Purely on reaction, I took a quick step back so it wouldn't see me... and alerted a regular Lv 90+ Arachno. So I had to run from that, alerting every other enemy and cocoon on the way out. Managed to jump down some hole that put me in another section I'd not visited with, dropped into a rock pool guarded by killer Bunnits. That run was of the most terrifying and amazing experiences I've had with this game.
My worst encounter where "You Will Our Names" tells me to ran for my life has to be Breezy Zolos(More like Breezy Trollos).

Its not the monster itself(although I only have success killing it, if I'm in the 40-45 range), but that goddamn Deino Saurus that loves to join the battle was the bane of my existence on my first playtrough.

Terratorial Rothbart is the most infamous though & It even has a spiritual successor on Xenoblade X.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So, umm...Hi! Big fan of Shulk in this game and wanted to get better with him, only combo I know is Nair-whatever. Thought I should introduce myself first. Plan on getting Xeno3D as I missed out on the Wii version due to lazyness, and when Shulk was revealed I said "Chuggaaconroy is now the 2nd most popular Xenoblade chronicles related thing"

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
So I was a little bored of Smash today and decided to start replaying Xenoblade
my god did I forget how amazing this game is.
You should never stop playing Xenoblade imo

should be a federal offense

yaystrawberrypie

Smash Cadet
NNID
[MFiC]ySP
Totally agreed

I missed this game way too much. I'm gonna try and do a 100% run on this playthrough
good luck with the fossil monkeys, rainbow slugs, and black liver beans.

D

Deleted member

OK! Here we go!
This is the Monado's poster! Take this!
IMG_0130.JPG

That's awesome! This is better than usual. Club Nintendo, you're a life saver.

(before anyone asks me, I replaced an old poster and I put the Shulk one in; I will get a new frame eventually)

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
Totally agreed

I missed this game way too much. I'm gonna try and do a 100% run on this playthrough
Good Luck man. I'm going to do that on my next run of the game, and mentally preparing myself for when I do. (I'm going to hate so many bosses when I do...)

PS. That is an awesome profile pic. Where did you get it?

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Good Luck man. I'm going to do that on my next run of the game, and mentally preparing myself for when I do. (I'm going to hate so many bosses when I do...)

PS. That is an awesome profile pic. Where did you get it?
There's one specific boss I'm not looking forward to...coughyou'llpayforyourinsolencecough

Oh thanks! I actually don't know where I got it from; I've just had it saved on my computer for a while. Here's the full picture:

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
There's one specific boss I'm not looking forward to...coughyou'llpayforyourinsolencecough

Oh thanks! I actually don't know where I got it from; I've just had it saved on my computer for a while. Here's the full picture:
Seeing stuff like this is why I really want to be great at drawing. And it looks amazing! I definitely got work on drawing.

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
If it's who I think it is, then I 'm not going to enjoy it at all. But in the end: "Looks like we don't have a choice!"

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
OK! Here we go!
View attachment 44259

(before anyone asks me, I replaced an old poster and I put the Shulk one in; I will get a new frame eventually)
I ordered this! :D

I don't have space for 6 posters though, which ones should I keep up?

For the people who don't know: the posters are Shulk, Rosalina, Palutena, Villager, Duck Hunt, and Bowser Jr.

Hopefully there's a third set for platinum status with Greninja, Robin, and Megaman :D

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I didn't have enough coins for both sets. :( Of course the out the Shulk poster set up right after my Rosalina set came in. >:|

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Hyper Monado Arts' Smash + Power Vision = ...

OK! Here we go!
View attachment 44259

I'm so jealous it's beautiful... We didn't have access to this, my Club Nintendo is all, like... notepads, shoelaces and NDS/Wii stuff that's outdated by about 8 years. We're supposed to be getting access to digital downloads soon, right as it starts closing down.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I didn't have enough coins for both sets. :( Of course the out the Shulk poster set up right after my Rosalina set came in. >:|
lol I asked a bunch of my friends and went into Gamestop a ton to get coins

went from 0 -> 725 in like a month

ask all of your friends and they will probably give you free stuff

D

Deleted member

I ordered this! :D

I don't have space for 6 posters though, which ones should I keep up?

For the people who don't know: the posters are Shulk, Rosalina, Palutena, Villager, Duck Hunt, and Bowser Jr.

Hopefully there's a third set for platinum status with Greninja, Robin, and Megaman :D
Well, how much space do you have? How many posters can you put up?
As for who you should keep, keep the characters that you like the most.
If the Robin poster was a Platinum reward, I will consider getting it. It just depends on what else I can get (such as Hyrule Warriors or getting that Poltergust Luigi again).

Hyper Monado Arts' Smash + Power Vision = ...
...Holy damn. This truly is the Monado's power.

I'm so jealous it's beautiful... We didn't have access to this, my Club Nintendo is all, like... notepads, shoelaces and NDS/Wii stuff that's outdated by about 8 years. We're supposed to be getting access to digital downloads soon, right as it starts closing down.
Wait, you don't? I'm sorry. :(
The American one was pretty crappy as well. All we had were a few download games, folders, cards, and so on. We occasionally got something cool, but we've been stuck with terrible rewards. In fact, the site only started to lag when people actually used it to get the new (and awesome) rewards.
I am hoping this new system will be better than Club Nintendo.

Top Bottom