• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Just do so then. I play shulk rarely aswell, but when I do... phew. It's a blast.
I do play him some but I never feel like I'm doing him justice. I'm 90% better at Lucas/Kirby.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
Smash Central made a Shulk custom video. Oh boy. He got a few things wrong unsurprisingly. He stated that Decisive Monado Arts don't increase the buffs above default Arts. He also doesn't seem to like Hyper Monado Arts either. Fine, no problem. But when questioned about his opinion in comments, he replied "Good luck" and "You won't get much use out of those Monado Arts." Basically an "I'm right, you're wrong" statement.
That's Smash Central for ya.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Smash Central made a Shulk custom video. Oh boy. He got a few things wrong unsurprisingly, such as Decisive Monado Arts not increasing the buffs above default Arts. He also doesn't seem to like Hyper Monado Arts either. Fine, no problem. But when questioned about his opinion in comments, he replied "Good luck" and "You won't get much use out of those Monado Arts." Basically an "I'm right, you're wrong" statement.
I heard Decisive slightly boosts it, but Hyper being bad is outright wrong

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Smash Central made a Shulk custom video. Oh boy. He got a few things wrong unsurprisingly. He stated that Decisive Monado Arts don't increase the buffs above default Arts. He also doesn't seem to like Hyper Monado Arts either. Fine, no problem. But when questioned about his opinion in comments, he replied "Good luck" and "You won't get much use out of those Monado Arts." Basically an "I'm right, you're wrong" statement.
I'll get a kick out of this when I watch it later.

My predictions!: (what I think an uninformed person would say and my responses)
-They think AAS is good for damage but worsens your recovery.
My correction: AAS is better for recovery (especially with monado speed) except for when in Speed or Jump, with Speed being equal to AS and jump being worse than AS.
-They think Power Visions is op, and dash vision stinks in comparison
My correction: Power vision is good, but dash vision has much more utility.
-They think Mighty Air Slash is GREAT
My correction: It's situational and unreliable. A few instances where it's useful.
-They think Decisive Arts suck because you can't switch
My correction: Generally, decisive arts are halfway between the buffs of regular arts and hyper arts, with no additional downsides. They are quite more powerful. And you can have a lot more of them. Not very flashy, but effective.
-They think Hyper Arts suck because only 6 seconds
My correction: You should activate hyper buster or hyper smash when in the ADVANTAGE in order to get the most out of them!
-They think BSC is useless.
My correction: Gets you out of some deadly combos!

And this basically confirms (again) that nearly 95% of the Smash community does not know jack **** about Shulk

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Have been busying in college, nearly forgot to get back to this thread...

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
to be fair there are like 50 some characters in this game and there are like four total shulks in the world that matter at all

so I wouldn't really fault someone for not knowing every character inside and out

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
to be fair there are like 50 some characters in this game and there are like four total shulks in the world that matter at all

so I wouldn't really fault someone for not knowing every character inside and out
But atleast the commentators... come on...
It hurts to hear them say sometimes "Woah, he's edgeguarding like crazy, but he won't do much dmg in jump!"

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
New Big Poll! It's Source Gaming's biggest Smash poll yet!

NEW POLLING EFFORT BY @@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
The SG team has helped BluePikmin reorganize his individual character polls into 4 parts. We've also provided pre-filled out forms with neutral responses so people can navigate quickly. Hopefully this will yield more and better information for future posts.

Mrperson_

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mrperson111
3DS FC
1332-7719-9839
Hey peoples, first time actually posting on here(ive been a lurker for a while lol). Hopefully I can establish myself as a solid shulk main, Ive got alot of practicing to do.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
I listened to every track from the Xenoblade X OST

I have failed yet again to suppress myself
I've only listened to a few. They're... different, but I've grown to like them.

On another note, I've picked up ZSS as a secondary. Having actually good frame data is weird.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

On another note, I've picked up ZSS as a secondary. Having actually good frame data is weird.
Frame data?

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00

Since you've already spoiled it to yourself, tell,how are they? I listened to the music from the trailers and they were actually good (especially the E3 2014 one).

What is that thing you call "good frame data"? Never heard of it.
**** I double posted without thinking about it. Pls fix

Last edited by a moderator:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman

Yea there are like 4-5 Shulks that matter then there's us on this thread that are pretty good with him but not ZeRo good. Then there's the buster then smash side B off the edge Shulks that ruin Shulks good name.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Then he ends up stupidly good. Workable frame data with that range? Plus Monado shenanigans? GG.

I'll take some BETTER frame data though. Just...not too much. Some better auto-cancel windows maybe, make his dash attack better. More active frames? Perhaps a frame 4 jab? Shulk really doesn't need as much as others think he does imo.

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
Some frame data buffs shoulthe given to Shulk but...not too much. As you can see the Shulk metagame is evolving a lot and some players are starting to get some results here and there to back up the theory (props to @Artryuu for placing 4th at that tournament). I'd like to see a frame 8 Dtilt, frame 9 Uptilt and frame 4 jab (endlag the same). Let Bair autocancel from a FH and maybe a frame 11 Fair or lingering hitboxes on Upair and he's fine

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I would like to see more range on his get up attack. He graphic is actually misleading. The beam can go through a leg without hitting a hurtbox.

How about just more range all around? Oo, give Monado Buster extra range specifically :p

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Then he ends up stupidly good. Workable frame data with that range? Plus Monado shenanigans? GG.

I'll take some BETTER frame data though. Just...not too much. Some better auto-cancel windows maybe, make his dash attack better. More active frames? Perhaps a frame 4 jab? Shulk really doesn't need as much as others think he does imo.
Agreed.

Shulk with Brawl MK frame data when
Well, he'd truly be in the God-slaying Tier then.
And... technically... isn't he already in a godslaying tier, looking how poor palutena does without customs?

|||||||||||||||||||||
Edit:
Something else... I really struggle with what characters I should go at tourneys. I feel like Link and Shulk became the character I can play the best,with Roy and Weegee somehow falling behind. For Glory and a few locals showed me, that I can't for some reason play with anyone except Link and Shulk on compeditive level...
Why is that so actually? I was hellish good with luigi at some point.

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Edit:
Something else... I really struggle with what characters I should go at tourneys. I feel like Link and Shulk became the character I can play the best,with Roy and Weegee somehow falling behind. For Glory and a few locals showed me, that I can't for some reason play with anyone except Link and Shulk on compeditive level...
Why is that so actually? I was hellish good with luigi at some point.
Maybe it's because Luigis are so prominent that people have started to figure out how to face him. Really, all you need to do is outcamp him and never sit in shield, if he doesn't get a grab he's screwed.

On the other hand, very few people know how to face competent Links and Shulks.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Maybe it's because Luigis are so prominent that people have started to figure out how to face him. Really, all you need to do is outcamp him and never sit in shield, if he doesn't get a grab he's screwed.

On the other hand, very few people know how to face competent Links and Shulks.
I honestly wouldn't call myself competent with them, still have a way to go. (Damn you, MALLC!)

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
*Looks at the home page*
Omg...ssb4 world finals...in New Orleans...that's like 10 minutes from my house....
SCREW IT!!! THERE IS A WORLD WITH GODS, AND ITS THIS WORLD!!!

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
*Looks at the home page*
Omg...ssb4 world finals...in New Orleans...that's like 10 minutes from my house....
SCREW IT!!! THERE IS A WORLD WITH GODS, AND ITS THIS WORLD!!!
I'm pretty sure a conscious person made that decision. Do you claim that person does not have free will? And he also did not make it easy to get in... with how expensive it is and how there's such a low limit on the number of participants.

dhblademaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
dhblademaster
3DS FC
3737-9562-1267
So, I'm going to my first competitive tournament on Saturday and I'm super nervous. Do you guys have any suggestions for a noobie tournament participant like me, or maybe some funny stories?

Do it for the experience. Don't be nervous. Play friendlies and go for some matches against the top players in your scene. That way, you can identify your own issues or flaws which you need to fix

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
*awkwardly enters thread*

Heeeeeey~

Just wondering if you guys are still anticipating XCX! (I hope!) I have remained largely unspoiled since the game's release in Japan. The wait so far has been agonizing, but we only have 77 more days!

And once the game is out, I'll be waiting for Elma to be confirmed as a Smash 5 character. :estatic:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
*awkwardly enters thread*

Heeeeeey~

Just wondering if you guys are still anticipating XCX! (I hope!) I have remained largely unspoiled since the game's release in Japan. The wait so far has been agonizing, but we only have 77 more days!

And once the game is out, I'll be waiting for Elma to be confirmed as a Smash 5 character. :estatic:
Oh, welcome then.
Also, let me spoil you the entire plot of XCX.
Jk.
Of course we are all hyped up and can't await it's release!

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Oh, welcome then.
Jk.
I'LL KILL YOU!

Jk.

You did scare the crap out of me though. :laugh:

Thanks for the welcome.

Oh, welcome then.
Jk.
Holy **** how dare you :mad:

Jk lol

Anyway, if anyone of you here spoils XCX, I will kill you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom