• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shulk Moveset Analysis/Speculation/Discussion (Phase 1/PLEASE READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Fun fact about his Down B Vision btw. When it activates, a sort of Shadow Shulk is seen at first that takes the hit while Shulk moves and counterattacks. The shadow being the Shulk in the vision that would have been hit by the move, where as the real Shulk changes his fate and counters what they did to him.

Awesome little detail

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Fun fact about his Down B Vision btw. When it activates, a sort of Shadow Shulk is seen at first that takes the hit while Shulk moves and counterattacks. The shadow being the Shulk in the vision that would have been hit by the move, where as the real Shulk changes his fate and counters what they did to him.

Awesome little detail
His counter is even more awesome now.

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629

Awesome little detail
Wait its called Vision? I thought it was Shadow Eye

Neo Zero

Wait its called Vision? I thought it was Shadow Eye
Well Shulk does say "Vision" in the trailer the same way he calls out his Neutral B names, Back Slash and Air Slash.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Yeah, his Down B is Vision. The startup has similarities to Shadow Eye though.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Shadow Eye fits the move better :3
Um, no.
The move is literally shulk countering by foreseeing the opponents attack. Shadow Eye has nothing to do with it.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Shulk's down B / Counter is literally him having a 'vision' of getting hit in the future and avoiding it accordingly. How does Shadow Eye fit that move better than Vision?!?

:059:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Speaking of visions, anyone realize the entire Final Smash seems to be a vision Shulk is having. It has the screen effect from the game the whole time, and everything but the characters is gray.

Awesome little detail
I'm not really seeing that. That sounds like a great detail though.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I still don't understand how you switch modes. Is it neutral B? Taunt? Fill a gauge?
Neutral B, and it looks like you cycle through them. The monado arts last for about 7 seconds, so you have to make the best of said art in a limited amount of time

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Thank you very much. How did you figure this all out?
Well some of it is other people, but it is pretty simple. The leaked footage tells all. Shulk can almost instantly cycle through his arts, even while moving. And the effects last for about 7 seconds in the leaked footage.

Gryffin

Smash Cadet
Well some of it is other people, but it is pretty simple. The leaked footage tells all. Shulk can almost instantly cycle through his arts, even while moving. And the effects last for about 7 seconds in the leaked footage.
Footage that leaked with the roster? I've actually been avoiding the leak. So today's announcement was a pleasant surprise (sort of; I've long suspected he'd be included).

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Footage that leaked with the roster? I've actually been avoiding the leak. So today's announcement was a pleasant surprise (sort of; I've long suspected he'd be included).
Yes. It was the footage that leaked with the roster

Busterbie

Smash Cadet
Everytime i see a new smash bros trailer i always get exited for gamexplains, analysis. They're so damn, good

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
So I'm wondering where the inspiration for his non-in-game moves came from. Is his Down Smash taken from Reyn's War Swing? Is his Up Smash taken from that one promo image of him? Any ideas?

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
Let me start off by saying this; Hello to familiar and unfamiliar faces (perhaps metal ones?) alike! I've looked forward to maining Shulk since the North American release of Xenoblade Chronicles, and now I've the chance to do so. From what I've seen, I am pretty content with, and can't wait to eventually get in the lab with him in the near-future. Now onto some moves and properties (on a more competitive approach):

- Play style -
Shulk seems to have massive range in SSBIV, specifically with his Monado. Barring his Monado Speed art, he's not exactly the fastest of character (attack-wise), but that isn't to say that he is slow, either. I feel as if it's good and manageable. It's early on without any experience, of course, but I imagine myself handling Shulk with spaced pokes, priority options and a good punish game (needless to say, good predictions and good mind-games are a necessity as well, though that involves the player themselves, and not so much the character). I'm not going to go completely in depth as we've only a low-level CPU and a single trailer to reference game play, but allow me to mention a few things that seem to be good options / interest me (as a side note, I'm not taking into account D.I. as I haven't played the early build of SSBIV myself, nor do I know how the final build will be in that area):

Jab Combo (5A + 5A + 5A) - The first two attacks are familiar to Ike's standard jab combo (which isn't a bad thing), but rather a downwards slash as the finish, Shulk slashes diagonally upwards. The start-up jab is fairly quick, as is the start-up on the final sword slash. It seems to have a decent amount of hit-stun on the final attack, although whether or not it can lead up to a combo (as it appeared with the F-Smash in the trailer) is to be determined (unless someone knows for certain?). Overall, the whole jab combo within itself seems applicable and may have some use, especially if you're allowed to jab cancel after the second attack.

Forward Aerial / F-Air (J. 6A) & Backward Aerial / B-Air (J. 4A) - As the video in the trailer ends right upon Shulk's landing of the attack, I'm not too sure how heavy the landing lag would / could be (nor am I able to tell if the hitstun and / or knockback will be significant). That said, this attack comes out at a good speed and seems to have a massive amount of range. At the moment I saw it, all I can see myself doing was applying retreating F-Airs as a means to out-space my opponent. The same properties apply to the B-Air as well, although we did get to see what the landing lag was like on that attack.

Air Slash / Up-Special (8B) - A rising attack similar to Marth and Lucina's Dolphin Slash, followed by an additional horizontal slash at the end. We were able to see this attack in use against Kirby in the reveal trailer; Shulk was airborne, although he was able to make contact with Kirby upon the start of the attack, and there seemed to be a minimal amount (if any) of time for Kirby to escape the additional hit (basically, it may be an actual two hit combo at presumably lower percentages). As a former Marth player in Brawl (with some knowledge and ability to play him in Melee as well), the first option that came to mind was OoS (Out of Shield) Up+B. This is an excellent option as it is fast, and it allows you to punish people who rush your shield with any attacks that have noticeable lag and / or whiffs. How effective it will be in K.O. potential for Shulk is to be determined, but nonetheless, it is an option that may be vital to keep in mind and develop it as second nature.

Down Aerial / D-Air (J. 2A) - Now I believe we have only witnessed this attack by a folly CPU in the leaked footage, and it didn't make contact nor hit any surface, but I figured I'd just express some thoughts about it anyways. Obviously, it is quite similar in appearance to Link's D-Air. Shulk airborne, hold his sword in a downwards position beneath him, and that's the strike. Whether or not this attack will have spiking / meteor properties, we do not yet know. We also do not know if Shulk will possibly bounce off an opponent he makes contact with, or just continue to fall downwards after making contact. However this plays out will ultimately determine the effectiveness and use of this attack. It likely won't be anything good players will be spamming, to be sure, but as with Link players, it is an option that proves to be useful from time to time.

. . . And with that, I'd like to end here. Obviously Shulk has many more moves I didn't bother to cover (as I'd be here forever), and we just really don't know enough to make solid conclusions. With his different arts (buff and debuff) abilities, original moves, etc, we're collectively just going to have to figure things out as we have time with the game. I'm looking forward to seeing where we can take Shulk, regardless of tier placement. He seems like he has a lot of potential, and I await the day I am able to play and own SSBIV myself as I am anxious to play and test things out as him.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Something else I just noticed, it looks like, similar to Xenoblade Chronicles, once you use an art you can't reuse it

This Symbol appears in the place of Smash after it was used by Shulk and expired. I'm not sure how long the cooldown is, but at the very least, you can't JUST use one mode over and over forever.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
It's the delayed Down B counter mate. Notice the blue flash before he does it? Same animation too.
One thing I notice is that during that Pit was falling very slowly so maybe the counter can slow attacks and opponents allowing him to hit easier.
Even that or they brought the Melee's air dodge back. :seuss:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
I just realized something. We've been assuming that the black symbol means that the Art has expired. It's possible that you can deactivate your current Art by using your neutral special again, and that may be what the black symbol indicates. Either way, the Art is removed from play, but it's possible you can trigger that whenever you want. The Arts may not even have a limited duration. They might, but we can't say for sure.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Something else I just noticed, it looks like, similar to Xenoblade Chronicles, once you use an art you can't reuse it

This Symbol appears in the place of Smash after it was used by Shulk and expired. I'm not sure how long the cooldown is, but at the very least, you can't JUST use one mode over and over forever.
I have to use TACTICS too? What is this? :troll:

Neo Zero

I just realized something. We've been assuming that the black symbol means that the Art has expired. It's possible that you can deactivate your current Art by using your neutral special again, and that may be what the black symbol indicates. Either way, the Art is removed from play, but it's possible you can trigger that whenever you want. The Arts may not even have a limited duration. They might, but we can't say for sure.
Well, when we see the black symbol for the first time, Shulk's glow on his feet was gone, meaning it had expired. Later after his red hand glow is gone, the Smash kanji is greyed out. It's possible the Kanji we saw the first time was the Speed Kanji, just blacked out, and the second time was the Smash Kanji (I haven't actually compared the Kanji though)

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Well, when we see the black symbol for the first time, Shulk's glow on his feet was gone, meaning it had expired. Later after his red hand glow is gone, the Smash kanji is greyed out. It's possible the Kanji we saw the first time was the Speed Kanji, just blacked out, and the second time was the Smash Kanji (I haven't actually compared the Kanji though)
If this is true, Shulk might be the most technical character in the game, right next to Robin.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Very happy that a system seems to be in place to force you into using all the modes. Though I hope it won't be too restrictive.

On the topic of his counter though, what's the theories on why we see two different attacks? You think it's a split-second button input that makes the difference or maybe it changes based on which if any Art you have active?

Neo Zero

Very happy that a system seems to be in place to force you into using all the modes. Though I hope it won't be too restrictive.

On the topic of his counter though, what's the theories on why we see two different attacks? You think it's a split-second button input that makes the difference or maybe it changes based on which if any Art you have active?
I'm fairly sure it's just how long the counter was up for. If it's used late like when Marth triggered it, it's slower and less strong. Do it RIGHT when a move hits though? Well, Captain Falcon found out what happens there.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm fairly sure it's just how long the counter was up for. If it's used late like when Marth triggered it, it's slower and less strong. Do it RIGHT when a move hits though? Well, Captain Falcon found out what happens there.
Could be the case. Kinda hope it isn't since I feel like the window for any counter should be tight and an all or nothing sort of thing. But I guess we'll hopefully know soon enough.

I would prefer a button input thing, with maybe an option to dodge away instead of attacking.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Wow, didn't think about that! I just assumed that it was random. Mindgames with Shulk are gonna be crazy.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
so when I said it first no one pays attention, but when you say it you get TWO hole replies? oh well, still nice that people are thinking about it now

link2702

Smash Champion
found my new main.

only concern is with all the monodo arts, what if the change between them all have a lengthy startup time? it could make it very risky to ever change between an art because you put yourself at massive risk, and to get to the art you need, might be near impossible unless you just KO'd someone and have time to cycle through.

Only way I could see it work well is iff holding B lets you select an art from a direction like up down left right, just pressing b with no direction inputted, would select the last of the 5

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
found my new main.

only concern is with all the monodo arts, what if the change between them all have a lengthy startup time? it could make it very risky to ever change between an art because you put yourself at massive risk, and to get to the art you need, might be near impossible unless you just KO'd someone and have time to cycle through.
Based on the leaked video, he can select them while moving and he can scroll through them pretty fast to.

madBowers

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adamsrewob
3DS FC
1177-9203-9654
Does anyone else find it interesting how at 1:33-1:34 when facing Mario Shulk didn't say anything but when facing De3 back he say 'back slash'? Although we don't have percentages if you look closely at the video you will notice a different in how de3 was sent back from mario, he looked to be in pain after getting hit from a strong attack.

It would be a somewhat interesting mechanic if Shulk attacks received higher knockback if attacking a opponents back.
In Xenoblade, Shulk did have an art that gives extra damage when attacking an enemy's backside.

Time mark is already set at 1:11 for you guys
Landing lag with his back-air seems noticeable.

D-smash lasts REALLY long. It's a horrible idea to use it out of no where. You can be punished by a heavy hitting smash attack with that duration

U-smash has two hits. Also it looks unsafe. The range though is incredible.

Shulk's counter (Vision) looks.... I don't know how to judge it but it actually looks er... "Reliable".

Back slash helps in jumping over low rolling projectiles (Similar to one special of Little Mac's). Probably does more damage from the back. Self explanatory HOWEVER, it looks.... unsafe...

Overall, he's definitely not for beginners (Like Rosalina). His attacks are shaping up to be damaging(?), long ranged and unsafe. Can't say much about his mobility but I'm sure Monado Speed and Monado Jump can help with that (Although the defense debuff might hurt but we really need to know how much it debuffs).

He has to be used smartly. So far, none of his moves (Except his u-tilt, maybe b-air and f-air) aren't really that notably quick or safe but I might be jumping into conclusions with this one since I have no idea what the rest of his moves are (Missing: D-tilt, F-tilt, N-air, U-air) and to add to that, anyone that's attempting to pick Shulk up will need to get used to using and memorizing the Monado cycle and when to use each stance/art. Sounds overwhelming but like what everyone said, once you get used to it, he becomes insanely deadly

Edit:

Air slash comes out quickly based on the footage so there's that

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Updated the First Post of the thread with all my data/findings.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Anyone else think he may be Roy-like with weak hits at the far end, and strong up close?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom