• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Shulk Match-Ups: Directory/General Discussion – Engage the Enemy

You don't have to ask for re-discussions. Just go ahead and post away

If you want my input though, it's in Robin's favor. Always has been. D-throw buffs are great but you can jump away from them at the right time

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
Okay, will do. But for now, I'll save my thoughts on the actual match-up (probably with Robin). With any luck, we might find some new stuff we left out before.

Grexin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Grexin
3DS FC
0404-8856-1751
+1 Ryu , been having a little trouble dealing with him and would like to see how other shulks deal with this matchup

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
Hm.. Both of these are some interesting match-ups that do deserve some spotlight. I put my money on Meta Knight since he gives me more trouble compared to Ryu.

So +1 to Meta Knight

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
+1 MK, he seems to be getting a lot of publicity recently

Heropon Riki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
atlantis24
3DS FC
4725-8178-7452
+1 :4miisword: Mii swordfighter. While this isn't a difficult matchup for Shulk (I'm pretty sure we have the advantage here), not alot of people have knowledge or experience fighting Mii Swordfighter.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday I played a very good ike and we ended up something like 20-1 for him.
He exploited shulks weak points and there was nothing i could do about it.

-Close combat: our jab has less reach and is 1 frame slower. IMO frame 4 jabs are good, frame 5 are bad.
Shulks downtilt frame 10 vs ike frame 7.
- Ike can combo down throw or up throw to f-air at like all %. Our combos are art and % dependant.
- All ikes attacks kills, unlike our fair or dash atack that needs lot of % to kill.
- Buster air slash can be punished after hit by ikes side b.
- Shulks need buster to keep up with ikes damage output. Shulks needs to risk himself with smashart to kill reliable, been a double edge sword. Ike doesnt need nor buster to sum % nor smash art to kill, so no drawbacks for him.
- Ike has lingering hitboxes making it easy to space himself unlike shulk. Ike Fair beats our nair for approaching.
-Ike can counter a recovering airslash if shulks goes above the ledge, if you dont you die from eruption.
Shulk cant counter a recovering aether as long as ike snaps the ledge.

Even after ike buffs i was sure that shulk was still the best swordsman but now i have my doubts.
Maybe it is just a matchup in ikes favor and we have other better matchups than him.

Any ideas how to overcome our shortcoming in this matchup?
More important, what does shulk bring to the table that ike doesnt have? Dont you dare to say Marts....

IMO shulk need some tweaking in his damage output. Frame reductions seems out of question because we already differ just about 2 or 3 frames of ike, any change to that would make them too similar.

Yesterday I played a very good ike and we ended up something like 20-1 for him.
He exploited shulks weak points and there was nothing i could do about it.

-Close combat: our jab has less reach and is 1 frame slower. IMO frame 4 jabs are good, frame 5 are bad.
Shulks downtilt frame 10 vs ike frame 7.
- Ike can combo down throw or up throw to f-air at like all %. Our combos are art and % dependant.
- All ikes attacks kills, unlike our fair or dash atack that needs lot of % to kill.
- Buster air slash can be punished after hit by ikes side b.
- Shulks need buster to keep up with ikes damage output. Shulks needs to risk himself with smashart to kill reliable, been a double edge sword. Ike doesnt need nor buster to sum % nor smash art to kill, so no drawbacks for him.
- Ike has lingering hitboxes making it easy to space himself unlike shulk. Ike Fair beats our nair for approaching.
-Ike can counter a recovering airslash if shulks goes above the ledge, if you dont you die from eruption.
Shulk cant counter a recovering aether as long as ike snaps the ledge.

Even after ike buffs i was sure that shulk was still the best swordsman but now i have my doubts.
Maybe it is just a matchup in ikes favor and we have other better matchups than him.

Any ideas how to overcome our shortcoming in this matchup?
More important, what does shulk bring to the table that ike doesnt have? Dont you dare to say Marts....

IMO shulk need some tweaking in his damage output. Frame reductions seems out of question because we already differ just about 2 or 3 frames of ike, any change to that would make them too similar.
Wrong thread m8. I'll transfer your post to the MU thread since it makes sense for it to be there

Anyway, I can help with this since I play Ike quite a lot too

First off, take advantage of speed and jump more. Having the edge with mobility matters a ton and it gives Shulk the edge he needs in the match-up. You also have more range than Ike so you sort of control the pace of the match-up with having the superior mobility and range. Of course, you're sort of gonna have to work a bit hard for your damage output so get to know your combos in speed and jump. HOWEVER, you can actually beat Ike in the neutral with speed or jump then immediately switch into buster once you have him at the disadvantage to safely rack up damage against Ike. Oh and don't use buster air slash imo. It's unsafe on everyone even if you connect it

Not going to bother answering the other question about what Shulk has over Ike since it's fairly obvious

Idk about customs though. I play default 100% of the time

Last edited:

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
Wrong thread m8. I'll transfer your post to the MU thread since it makes sense for it to be there

First off, take advantage of speed and jump more. Having the edge with mobility matters a ton and it gives Shulk the edge he needs in the match-up. You also have more range than Ike so you sort of control the pace of the match-up with having the superior mobility and range. Of course, you're sort of gonna have to work a bit hard for your damage output so get to know your combos in speed and jump. HOWEVER, you can actually beat Ike in the neutral with speed or jump then immediately switch into buster once you have him at the disadvantage to safely rack up damage against Ike. Oh and don't use buster air slash imo. It's unsafe on everyone even if you connect it

Not going to bother answering the other question about what Shulk has over Ike since it's fairly obvious

Thanks,

I guess that by playing buster i was playing his game, speed and jump would have allowed me to play MY own game.

This was a default match up, if customs were been involved AAS would have been more than enough to keep ike out of range.

This was the very first time i struggle against other swordfighters, also was the best ike i have ever faced.
Still, IMO ike has to work a lot less than shulk to obtain results (damage and KO).

Thanks,

I guess that by playing buster i was playing his game, speed and jump would have allowed me to play MY own game.

This was a default match up, if customs were been involved AAS would have been more than enough to keep ike out of range.

This was the very first time i struggle against other swordfighters, also was the best ike i have ever faced.
Still, IMO ike has to work a lot less than shulk to obtain results (damage and KO).
Of course Ike has to work less but the neutral is where it's at. You should be fine at the neutral if you play your cards right with speed/jump. That's pretty much the trade off. Shulk should win the neutral imo most of the time but to balance it out, Ike gains a bit more reward when he beats Shulk at the neutral

Tbh, it's pretty much dead. I'm still thinking of a new idea for match-up discussions (like maybe re-thinking about staying away from scoring match-ups). It's really difficult to gauge match-ups for Shulk especially since he's a character that literally no one plays against so for now, I might allow free-for-all match-up discussions in this thread

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
. . .
Lol I don't even exist here. I approve +1 for :4metaknight:, :4mewtwo:, or :4miisword:. Heck, I approve of any MU that comes next frankly. Since the last two locals I've attended because I'm attending tournaments finally, I've fought a numerous amount of MUs in tournament play albeit isn't top level game-play or anything major to go off a MU, but it's something.

RosaLuma & Diddy Kong are my toughest challenges atm because at the local place I attend, we have several Diddy Kong players with one in particular that gives me a hard time. And then the only RosaLuma player giving me problems as well. Plus I've come across some Sonics & an Ike. Ike is definitely brutal.

Mind you, customs were allowed both times I went to them, so that may or may not say something. Personally I don't mind because you guys know I'm a Shield fanatic, & it just so happens that there's currently a 2123 EVO set allowed, which is that Decisive Shield + Advancing Air Slash life all day baby.:shades:

Last edited:

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Anyone having trouble against Falco? for some reason, the good Falco players I have encountered shut me down or I have a really hard time playing. I feel like if im against a Fox, but it shouldn't be that much, because falco is generally slower, but still.

Also, I struggle a lot against greninjas. They have some combos I didnt knew. I suppose im not experienced against fast characters, though I digress, they are few good greninjas players i have encountered.

Any tips?

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Anyone having trouble against Falco? for some reason, the good Falco players I have encountered shut me down or I have a really hard time playing. I feel like if im against a Fox, but it shouldn't be that much, because falco is generally slower, but still.

Also, I struggle a lot against greninjas. They have some combos I didnt knew. I suppose im not experienced against fast characters, though I digress, they are few good greninjas players i have encountered.

Any tips?
We have yet to make a match up thread on Falco as of yet. As for Greninja, this may help: http://smashboards.com/threads/greninja-match-up-thread.384323/

A_Kae

Smash Ace

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
So, my brothers are convinced that Pikachu losses to Shulk... How can I convince them otherwise? It's pretty obvious Shulk losses, as long as Pika can break through Shulk's flimsy wall. but they just don't seem to see it.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Can we get a bump on the Jigglypuff MU thread creation? I found a setup that can lead to death out of a grab release which I find mighty & helpful to seal the stock when needed. It's not like the MU is revolved around getting the grab or anything, but it certainly helps.

KTVX

Smash Rookie

I beg to disagree. I used to run this tactic and it's not bad, but honestly I find it safer to just go Buster and outrange/ punish to get the damage advantage. The problem with Speed is that you need a few hits to be on par with a single hit from Ike, so you need to work hard to rack up damage and one mistake could ruin those efforts. Not worth imo. Jump is another story, since it doesn't lower your damage output. As long as you stay clear of Ike's attacks -which extreme air mobility should make relatively easy- you can also get the edge in terms of damge. And I say the air mobility thing because Jump allows you to play hit and run much more efficiently whereas Speed leans more towards rushdown, so it's easier to get hit.

Another tip is to abuse MALLC and MADC, especially MADC since you can get the most out of your range by dashing into forward or down smashes. This is even more potent in Smash or Buster where you can either rack a lot of damage or flat out KO/ force recovery and attempt gimping. Once he's offstage you can go for fair if he's far off the ledge or bair if he's relatively close. Ike's main horizontal recovery is his side b. While charging it he can't dodge (I think) and he eats the fair, and if he releases it you'll stop it by getting hit, wasting his air time and getting him closer to the bottom blast line, to the point where he could die while charging side b again to a long enough distance for him to actually reach the ledge. Depending on your height, watch out for a possible stage spike. If he's not too far from the ledge, bair's front hitbox will push Ike further towards the blast line, while the rear hitbox will stage spike if he dodges the former.

Finally Ike's smash attacks, while not being too sluggish they still have some projection, mostly forward and up smashes. As soon as you see any fishy animation, use Vision, ideally the input one for a brutal KO. Against most of the cast it's hard to pull it off but Ike is one of the easiest characters to do so. You can always counter Ike's Eruptions when recovering, but the more seasoned Ike mains will be ready for this and just keep charging, which they can do endlessly unlike smashes (worth noting, a fresh Vision most likely will outlast a full smash charge). Unless you get hit after the counter window, you can always continue falling and attempt to hit him with the tip of the Air Slash on the way up then grab the ledge.

If we're still voting, I'd say +1 in Shulk's favor. Provided you play to Shulk's advantages and watch out for Ike's, you can nail the win. Being reckless or challenge and trade moves will usually result in you losing. The key is patience.

Last edited:
That input is kinda outdated. I've been using buster more often against literally every character in the roster while having a more campy/spacing oriented playstyle. Speed still works though against Ike imo but I've been leaning to using buster more often with a mix of jump art every now and then against him

KTVX

Smash Rookie
That input is kinda outdated. I've been using buster more often against literally every character in the roster while having a more campy/spacing oriented playstyle. Speed still works though against Ike imo but I've been leaning to using buster more often with a mix of jump art every now and then against him
Actually I've been doing the same and getting much better results. I almost always started with speed and attempted to rushdown, then started learning to take benefit of the amazing range Shulk has and space more carefully and patiently. I still go speed and full steam ahead against characters that can't do much to me, namely middle and lightweights, or when I find an opening. If my opponent is arond 80-90% I just use speed to close the gap between that and KO range with some quick attacks. If the difference is greater I go for jump and do some hitting and running.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Seriously considering a reboot of this soon and doing a total restart as well. This is in order to have everything relevant to the current meta, as we have all improved and there have been many, many updates.

The balance patches might be over, and if not, we are at least on the tail end of them. Also, there will be no more characters added.

This will be pretty cool once it's started up. I'm going to integrate the thread with discussions held in the Shulk discord and I can organize it with other character discord/character skype leaders who lead the communities for their respective characters.

Can't tonight because work, but stay tuned!

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet
Hello gents,

So this is a mini rant/advice request concerning the bayonetta and Shulk match-up.

Why is this match-up problematic? Most of you know, but I'm going to let off a little steam and rant a bit.

1) All of her combo starters are very quick, Side-B is basically a faster, less punishable falcon kick, which guarantees an easy 40-50% damage from a mediocre bayonetta and an instant KO from a good player a good portion of the time. (At literally any percentage.)

2) She has a gimp (bullets) and a meteor smash (DSmash) which require no precision, little skill and has no risk to her.

3) All her moves have fox lasers attached.

4) She can infinite Fair you to death.

5) Outside of her Smashes her moves are extremely hard to punish. Hell just trying to punish a whiffed move gets you witch-timed.

6) She has no problem KOing unlike Shiek.

7) Her Witch-time has a very fast start-up, even if you delay your hits, she gets bats within. And Witch time last TOO DAMN LONG. It's basically a better version of any characters Counter.

8) If you try to play defensive, she can just poke you to death from afar

9) One of her easy bake combos equals to several of shulk's attacks, so you are generally losing the damage race.

TL;DR: I am in need of desperate assistance dealing with this match-up. Like how useful each monado is in the match-up and how to deal with her combo spam. Side-B seems really hard to deal with as they follow up with the cartwheel and become really hard to punish at that point.

Last edited:

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
This seems to be the matchup thread here, so I'll take a gamble.

Just a random Little Mac main here (You might have seen me on some other boards helping out or asking around for this very topic I'm here for) who has used Shulk in the past, and I'm making another Little Mac guide, this time including matchup knowledge against the entire character roster.

And now, alongside Robin, Marth, and Link, I'm working on them today and I have absolutely no clue how to put down anything for this character, with no knowledge on him.

Shulk might be one of the longest sections I will be making (Most characters are about 1500 words+, in other words 2 or more sheets of printer paper) due to each of his arts being basically an entirely different character. Jump, Speed, Buster, Smash, and Sheid will be getting portions of why they do well vs Little Mac and how they do awfully (getting comboed, taking tons of damage, 2fast2quick).

So, how do you guys deal with Little Mac, and if you guys could give me any tips for fighting Shulks or Shulks fighting Little Mac (since hilariously I also struggle to win that matchup), I'd love you guys.

Pre-thanks to anyone that actually pays attention to this post!

MaxRevenge

Smash Cadet
This seems to be the matchup thread here, so I'll take a gamble.

Just a random Little Mac main here (You might have seen me on some other boards helping out or asking around for this very topic I'm here for) who has used Shulk in the past, and I'm making another Little Mac guide, this time including matchup knowledge against the entire character roster.

And now, alongside Robin, Marth, and Link, I'm working on them today and I have absolutely no clue how to put down anything for this character, with no knowledge on him.

Shulk might be one of the longest sections I will be making (Most characters are about 1500 words+, in other words 2 or more sheets of printer paper) due to each of his arts being basically an entirely different character. Jump, Speed, Buster, Smash, and Sheid will be getting portions of why they do well vs Little Mac and how they do awfully (getting comboed, taking tons of damage, 2fast2quick).

So, how do you guys deal with Little Mac, and if you guys could give me any tips for fighting Shulks or Shulks fighting Little Mac (since hilariously I also struggle to win that matchup), I'd love you guys.

Pre-thanks to anyone that actually pays attention to this post!
Tips for fighting Little Mac as Shulk

* Little Mac has a very hard time dealing with Jump and Speed Shulk when offstage. With these arts, Shulk can easily gimp a little Mac player with a good read or two.
* Little Mac's K.O. punch is significantly less effective against Shulk when in his
Shield form. Without rage, Shield Shulk can survive K.O. punch up to around 55% or so.

Tips for fighting Shulk as Little Mac

* Be very careful of Shulk's counter. You will most likely lose a stock if you land a strong smash attack against it.
* Shulk has a very sluggish moveset and relies on spacing to out-trade his opponents. So try to get as close as you can to Shulk. Most of Little Mac's moves come out before frame 8. Most of Shulk's moves come out after frame 12. If you make good use of your frame 1 jab and tilts when up close, there's really nothing much a Shulk can do.

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
Tips for fighting Little Mac as Shulk

* Little Mac has a very hard time dealing with Jump and Speed Shulk when offstage. With these arts, Shulk can easily gimp a little Mac player with a good read or two.
* Little Mac's K.O. punch is significantly less effective against Shulk when in his
Shield form. Without rage, Shield Shulk can survive K.O. punch up to around 55% or so.

Tips for fighting Shulk as Little Mac

* Be very careful of Shulk's counter. You will most likely lose a stock if you land a strong smash attack against it.
* Shulk has a very sluggish moveset and relies on spacing to out-trade his opponents. So try to get as close as you can to Shulk. Most of Little Mac's moves come out before frame 8. Most of Shulk's moves come out after frame 12. If you make good use of your frame 1 jab and tilts when up close, there's really nothing much a Shulk can do.
Thanks, but I managed to finish my Shulk section of my guide with all of those points covered, lol.

I'm almost 100% certain that Shulk will remain my longest section for the duration of me working on it, simply due to him being such a unique and diverse fighter with more to talk about than basically anyone else in terms of how he fares.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Hey, I'm almost done with the new MU thread now.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Hello gents,

So this is a mini rant/advice request concerning the bayonetta and Shulk match-up.

Why is this match-up problematic? Most of you know, but I'm going to let off a little steam and rant a bit.

1) All of her combo starters are very quick, Side-B is basically a faster, less punishable falcon kick, which guarantees an easy 40-50% damage from a mediocre bayonetta and an instant KO from a good player a good portion of the time. (At literally any percentage.)

2) She has a gimp (bullets) and a meteor smash (DSmash) which require no precision, little skill and has no risk to her.

3) All her moves have fox lasers attached.

4) She can infinite Fair you to death.

5) Outside of her Smashes her moves are extremely hard to punish. Hell just trying to punish a whiffed move gets you witch-timed.

6) She has no problem KOing unlike Shiek.

7) Her Witch-time has a very fast start-up, even if you delay your hits, she gets bats within. And Witch time last TOO DAMN LONG. It's basically a better version of any characters Counter.

8) If you try to play defensive, she can just poke you to death from afar

9) One of her easy bake combos equals to several of shulk's attacks, so you are generally losing the damage race.

TL;DR: I am in need of desperate assistance dealing with this match-up. Like how useful each monado is in the match-up and how to deal with her combo spam. Side-B seems really hard to deal with as they follow up with the cartwheel and become really hard to punish at that point.
Yeah, I hear you on this. I fought a Bayonetta the other night on For Glory, it was really ugly:

I mean, I know I'm not that good with Shulk, I admit that. But seriously, I felt absolutely helpless, like: what am I supposed to do? Well, I know I should shield more, that's for sure. And I definitely wasn't playing my best. (Why did I switch to Smash art at the end there? Ugh.)

MaxRevenge

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I hear you on this. I fought a Bayonetta the other night on For Glory, it was really ugly:

I mean, I know I'm not that good with Shulk, I admit that. But seriously, I felt absolutely helpless, like: what am I supposed to do? Well, I know I should shield more, that's for sure. And I definitely wasn't playing my best. (Why did I switch to Smash art at the end there? Ugh.)
Hey there. Here's what I think after watching the video:
  • you used far to many unsafe smash attacks (e.g. 0:27). This easily allowed her to begin her deathly combos. You need to rely more on your safer options unless you get a good read.
  • You really, really need to use the Monado arts more often. And you need to use them correctly, in the right situations. I'd recommend reading up on each of these arts and researching their stats fully.
    • Jump
      • Moderately risky to use
      • Personally, I wouldn't use this unless you're trying to gimp Bayonetta offstage.
    • Speed
      • Extremely safe to use.
      • Speed gives you the air and ground mobility you need to space your attacks. Make good use of your short hops and always keep your distance. This should be the art you use most often.
    • Shield
      • Extremely safe to use.
      • Another godlike art in this matchup. I'd recommend using this art @ low-medium percents.
      • At low-medium percents, Bayonetta won't be nearly as capable of ending your stock with her signature combos. It also becomes increasingly hard for her to chain her attacks. This no longer applies when you're at higher percents, as shown in the video you linked @0:50. I'd recommend opting to another art at this point.
    • Buster
      • Extremely risky to use.
      • I'd personally avoid using this art entirely. The only real added benefit is damage. If you mess up once, you'll have to take +13% increased damage from her combos, which is not very pretty.
      • If you really want to, you can use this art as the shieldstun you get is pretty nice. But be very, very careful and deactivate it immediately if you think you're in a disadvantaged position.
    • Smash
      • Somewhat safe to use.
      • Bayonetta is extremely light. With this art, almost all of your attacks become kill options. If Bayonetta's at 120% and you manage to land a grab near the ledge, do a down or back throw (depending on the direction you're facing) and she'll likely die.
      • If you're at a very high percent while using this art, it also becomes very difficult for Bayonetta to combo you (you get knocked back too far). However, it becomesrelatively easy for Bayo to kill you via other kill options, such as her forward throw.
      • Your forward grounded counter is lethal with the smash art. Absolutely lethal. If bayonetta's at 80% and you land a forward vision against any of her attacks, there's a good chance you'll end her stock. That being said, counter is still a very risky move to use. Only use it if you get a good read.

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
Rosalina is analyzing Shulk at her sub-forum again. You can go to the following thread link if you have anything to contribute for the match-up.

http://smashboards.com/threads/415990/
Actually, the Shulk Discord is about to start a Joint Matchup Discussion with the Rosalina discord. I can collect everyone's general opinions from both sides from there and share it once it has started!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Actually, the Shulk Discord is about to start a Joint Matchup Discussion with the Rosalina discord. I can collect everyone's general opinions from both sides from there and share it once it has started!
When you're done, you can always share your thoughts on the match-up back at Rosalina's sub-forum. And if you have an idea on which side the match-up favors more, let us know as well; the directory thread explains the scoring rules.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Just to summarize quickly, I feel Shulk has bad matchups against pretty much every other sword character against Lucina and Roy, where I feel he has a slight edge, and the Links and MK, who are probably roughly even depending on how he plays. The main issue is getting outspaced.

Marth has much better frame data and the tools to disrupt and avoid our finishers, as well as edgeguard us and scare us with his tippers. His slight range edge and kill power advantage over Lucina make it hard for Shulk to get mileage.

Ike and Cloud are better in every dimension of gameplay except mobility with the arts. They have quicker attacks, better finishers, better aerials, better hitboxes with more coverage, better spacing tools and 50/50's, more consistency, and Cloud has limit while Ike is heavier and has a better recovery to boot.
Corrin can literally shut Shulk down with his counter. I found this out the hard way. None of Shulk's approaches seem to work on Corrin, because his poor start-up frames allow counter surge to trump him every time. I never lose to lv9 AI, but the first time I ever lost a free for all, it ended up being me vs Corrin, and even though I was up a stock, the AI counter surged me every single time I attacked (this was post patch, too) and outspaced me with Fsmash when I tried to grab. I got killed by the Corrin counter twice, and couldn't win the game. Never felt so frustrated before.

Shulk NEEDS some kind of legitimate improvement. Not damage buff band-aids or landing lag decreases. Legitimate auto-cancels, more range, better all around frame data, tweaked finishers, or any combination thereof. As he stands, he gets beat by anyone else with a sword (even MK, Links and Lucina can be a struggle) because he simply lacks the tools they all have. I think Corrin might be Shulk's worst match-up as a whole because he can wall Shulk out with DFS, punish his approaches with DL/IP and Forward Smash, and block any incoming hits with Counter Surge. Seriously, I can beat Cloud, MK, Diddy, Fox, Sheik etc. all being played by lv9 ai, but I actually got two stocked by a lv9 Corrin. After more than 80 hours of practice.

I actually don't think Corrin's range/ability to wall out is the main issue in the match-up. You have to maintain your mobility arts (jump and speed) so that you can maneuver around and outrun Corrin since she has subpar mobility. Just bait out the dragon lances, and try your best to be hard to catch, and charge in when the opportunity comes (kinda hard since Corrin doesn't have that much end lag). When she pulls out DFS, immediately use n-air and b-air and space your hitbox such that you'll neutralize the projectile and hit Corrin. Also, Shulk's cross-up n-air is difficult to punish as Corrin so that's something to take note of. The real issue in the match-up is if the Corrin main starts abusing your horrendous frame data. Her b-air alone outspeeds ALL of Shulk's aerials and her b-air has ridiculous range already. Going buster art imo isn't really a reliable option against because you need the mobility to make sure that Corrin does not go anywhere near you. That, and well, Corrin countering anything in buster can kill you at relatively low percents (lol buster f-tilt)

Last edited:
Top Bottom