• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shuffle V - February 22nd & 23rd, 2014 - Columbus, OH - MLG supported event

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
Ugh pools. Brawl is going to take a millennia to complete.
Last year we did straight to bracket, and people complained and wanted pools so they could play more matches and get more bang for their buck. Either way people will be unhappy...can't win :(

Never got my confirmation email, i was in the first wave. Also pm teamates?
Contact me asap...amar.karamali@gmail.com with your gamertag/first lastname/email. It is possible you typed your email in wrong so you didn't get anything

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
Hey, just a friendly reminder that registration wave 2 goes live @ 4:00PM EST.

Also, if you haven't confirmed...check your email! Deadline is 12:00PM EST.

Currently 221/300 have confirmed. If you see your name on this list, you are NOT CONFIRMED and need to contact me asap via fb, email, or preferably respond to the confirmation email:

What is your handle? (tag, gamertag, etc)
Achilles1515
AgentGuilt~
AJ
AlbinoLiger
BloodyJoker
Bob Zmuda
bobbytrång
Broverdose
Butch G
Cam
Collin
CORKUS
crim
CT EMP Mew2King
Dadococolado
DairDev1L
devanisagirl
Duck
DunFoundDead
Eevee!
Elitest
EmuKiller
Erik Bachelder
Frost
Goemon
Gordie Howe
Huckleberry Dog
Ian Robinson
Jack
Jack Burrows
Jaden Carr
Jawsome
Jman
Jmaster
kalamazhu
kernjiro
King
King Blaze
kismet
Kismet2
Kronic
Leon
Llamaboy
LOLO
mango
Misnomer
mordicon
mr.magik
Oats
Oblivion
Ogie
Prof. Oak
Quivo
Rai.
Raz
RCM94
Rh1thmz
Rval
Seki
Shadow Phoenix
Shugo
shwickid
Solharath
SoulPech
Sweet
Tony 22
ToTs
Tyler Mastrangelo
Veman3000
voorhese
W.C.N
Watty
Xolcin
XYK
Zbet
Zion Hikari
ZOMG

Last edited:

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to @ Juggleguy Juggleguy , we are using the following:
For tiebreakers
1. number of sets won
2. winning percentage in games (win/loss ratio)
3. head-to-head winner

In the event of an X-way tie in Singles Pools after all tiebreakers are exhausted, a best-of-1 round robin will be played out between the X players until there is a clear order of placings.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Top 2 get out is one of the worst format for pools, where weird tie breaking situations come up like people only lose once and they won't get out and other weird situations.

Speaking of tie breakers, how will tie breakers be decided?
I think the turnout of ~110 Brawl entrants and the fact that there are 6 different events happening at the tourney forces the TOs to choose between three options:

1. Straight bracket. This results in 25% of the competition going two-and-out and is the subject of many complaints in the past. Also, this arguably doesn't even save that much time over traditional round robins considering the queueing nature of bracket and the fact that there will be more than enough setups. Probably the least desirable option overall.
2. 16 pools of 6-7, top 3 advance into a top-48 bracket. This results in a bigger bracket that simply eats up more time only to produce the same eventual results at the top (nobody who gets 3rd seed in their pool will make a deep run in bracket anyway). Would also require a 9am Sunday starting time, which I doubt Smashers would be capable of adhering to.
3. 16 pools of 6-7, top 2 advance into a top-32 bracket. This is the best overall option as long as pools are seeded well enough such that the risk of a three-way tie is minimized. Everyone gets at least 5-6 guaranteed tournament sets and bracket doesn't take forever, so nobody has to wake up at 8am Sunday. Just seed pools well -- it's tedious but not difficult to do this.

Last edited:

kodeyluigi

Smash Apprentice
DRB | Juushichi
SoulPech
Tyler Mastrangelo
DunFoundDead
Jaden Carr
Llamaboy
RCM94
Zion Hikari
1der
Cam
Dadococolado
PGH Carroll
Prof. Oak
Jack
Magic Man
Oblivion
mango
Rval
CT EMP Mew2King
Tehcooles
kalamazhu
Veman3000
Ogie
Tony 22
Quivo
W.C.N
AJ
ToTs
Jmaster
Gordie Howe
Xolcin
devanisagirl
LOLO
kernjiro
Kronic
Rai.
Achilles1515
bobbytrång
AlbinoLiger
DairDev1L
Solharath
Sweet
Ksev
CORKUS
Omicron Pyro
Ian Robinson
shwickid
Eevee!
Jman
mr.magik
Gunblade
Jawsome
AgentGuilt~
ZOMG
crim
King
Rh1thmz
Zbet
CT| Xzax
BloodyJoker
EmuKiller
voorhese
Raz
Watty
Oats
Misnomer
sorasin
Shugo
Duck
XYK
King Blaze
Bob Zmuda
Xythis
Elitest
Goemon
Jack Burrows
Erik Bachelder
Collin
Frost
Huckleberry Dog
mordicon
monte
Leon
kismet
Broverdose
Seki
Kismet2
Butch G
Shadow Phoenix
THuGz
I'm curious why mine(LuigigoShard) and Jiano's name isn't on that list? We replied to all of the e-mail confirmations.

What's The Point

Smash Master
I would much rather do straight bracket than top 2 pools. There are going to be people who lose one game and get eliminated, and there will be some hilariously bad pools because there aren't that many 1st and 2nd seeds. Cut all the bull**** and do a straight bracket.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
DRB | Juushichi
SoulPech
Tyler Mastrangelo
DunFoundDead
Jaden Carr
Llamaboy
RCM94
Zion Hikari
1der
Cam
Dadococolado
PGH Carroll
Prof. Oak
Jack
Magic Man
Oblivion
mango
Rval
CT EMP Mew2King
Tehcooles
kalamazhu
Veman3000
Ogie
Tony 22
Quivo
W.C.N
AJ
ToTs
Jmaster
Gordie Howe
Xolcin
devanisagirl
LOLO
kernjiro
Kronic
Rai.
Achilles1515
bobbytrång
AlbinoLiger
DairDev1L
Solharath
Sweet
Ksev
CORKUS
Omicron Pyro
Ian Robinson
shwickid
Eevee!
Jman
mr.magik
Gunblade
Jawsome
AgentGuilt~
ZOMG
crim
King
Rh1thmz
Zbet
CT| Xzax
BloodyJoker
EmuKiller
voorhese
Raz
Watty
Oats
Misnomer
sorasin
Shugo
Duck
XYK
King Blaze
Bob Zmuda
Xythis
Elitest
Goemon
Jack Burrows
Erik Bachelder
Collin
Frost
Huckleberry Dog
mordicon
monte
Leon
kismet
Broverdose
Seki
Kismet2
Butch G
Shadow Phoenix
THuGz
To clarify while ESI is afk, these are all people who have NOT RESPONDED to the confirmation e-mail, and need to do so, otherwise they will forefit their spot at 12PM EST tomorrow.

(He made this post on Facebook as well)

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious why mine(LuigigoShard) and Jiano's name isn't on that list? We replied to all of the e-mail confirmations.
I believe that's the list of people who have not yet confirmed, so you should be good.
To clarify while ESI is afk, these are all people who have NOT RESPONDED to the confirmation e-mail, and need to do so, otherwise they will forefit their spot at 12PM EST tomorrow.

(He made this post on Facebook as well)
Crap- when I copy pasted it over it didn't all transfer.

You are correct- this is the naughty list to be on aka you haven't confirmed!!

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
I would much rather do straight bracket than top 2 pools. There are going to be people who lose one game and get eliminated, and there will be some hilariously bad pools because there aren't that many 1st and 2nd seeds. Cut all the bull**** and do a straight bracket.
I like this idea- I will talk it over.

The reason why we wanted every singles tournament to have pools is so that people can play a lot of games to feel like they got their money worth.

If you are a bad, new player and paying 10 bucks you want to play a couple games and feel the tournament "hype".

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Personally I'd rather do pools, getting to play more people.

Plus nobody was really happy when we did straight to bracket last time (although part of that was because pools were planned but cut)

LOE1

Smash Lord
hmm, I actually want there to be pools just so more people can play more matches, and new players could play more than 2 sets lol.
I am not too sure how bad this will affect the time though, but if we start it early enough I think time shouldn't be an issue.

then again I am just a little kid so what do I know :p

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
SoulPech. What
Hey, just a friendly reminder that registration wave 2 goes live @ 4:00PM EST.

Also, if you haven't confirmed...check your email! Deadline is 12:00PM EST.

Currently 221/300 have confirmed. If you see your name on this list, you are NOT CONFIRMED and need to contact me asap via fb, email, or preferably respond to the confirmation email:

SoulPech
???

I'd have to think that SoulPech would've responded to this by now.

Last edited:

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
Personally I'd rather do pools, getting to play more people.

Plus nobody was really happy when we did straight to bracket last time (although part of that was because pools were planned but cut)
I don't see a problem with pools
SoulPech. What

???

I'd have to think that SoulPech would've responded to this by now.
Yeah, I think pools will be okay as long as everything finishes on time. Here is to hoping!

We will be really strict about wasting time.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
See the thing with top 2 pools is it only works if you have proper seeding. Which I doubt will happen, there's going to be a lot of lame pools that are stronger than other pools. It's going to cut a lot of drama if you do just straight to bracket.

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
See the thing with top 2 pools is it only works if you have proper seeding. Which I doubt will happen, there's going to be a lot of lame pools that are stronger than other pools. It's going to cut a lot of drama if you do just straight to bracket.
Well, we are going to do our best with seeding. That is why we did the whole registration process- so that we could get the list of entrants finalized by Saturday night, and send the list of players out to top names for seeding purposes.

Strong_Bad will be seeding PM, Juggleguy will be seeding melee, and we have yet to pick our Brawl seeder (any suggestions??)

Amar

Leon94

Smash Journeyman
hey, how can I confirm my coming? I 100% confirmed now for ssbb singles and I'll team with orion for ssbb doubles.

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
List of people at risk of losing their registration in 12:00 hours:

Achilles1515
AgentGuilt~
AJ
AlbinoLiger
Bob Zmuda
bobbytrång
Broverdose
Butch G
Cam
Collin
CORKUS
crim
Dadococolado
DunFoundDead
Eevee!
Elitest
Frost
Goemon
Gordie Howe
Huckleberry Dog
Ian Robinson
Jack
Jack Burrows
Jaden Carr
Jawsome
Jmaster
kernjiro
King Blaze
kismet
Kronic
Llamaboy
Misnomer
mordicon
mr.magik
Ogie
Prof. Oak
Quivo
Rai.
RCM94
Rh1thmz
Rval
Seki
shwickid
Solharath
Sweet
ToTs
Tyler Mastrangelo
Veman3000
Watty
Xolcin
XYK
Zion Hikari
ZOMG

If you know any of these guys, definitely contact them and make sure they get back to me by 12:00pm tomorrow!

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys!

Exciting news: we are able to provide food for everyone on Saturday!

We will have 75 pizzas from PizzaHut- a variety of 1-topping pizzas (cheese, pepperoni, etc.)

Pizza will be sold for 1.00 dollar slice. As always, all money from this venture will go directly to charity!

I think the pizza will be split between lunch/dinner, with a heavier weight towards dinner!

Amar

Kidbuu42

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kidbuu42
Hey guys!

Exciting news: we are able to provide food for everyone on Saturday!

We will have 75 pizzas from PizzaHut- a variety of 1-topping pizzas (cheese, pepperoni, etc.)

Pizza will be sold for 1.00 dollar slice. As always, all money from this venture will go directly to charity!

I think the pizza will be split between lunch/dinner, with a heavier weight towards dinner!

Amar

That's amazing! So much money saved now. (was planning on buying food for 2)

CÁT Rose

Smash Rookie
Has the second wave started please tell me no I want in this

Looks like 12 pm today

Last edited:

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to @ Juggleguy Juggleguy , we are using the following:
For tiebreakers
1. number of sets won
2. winning percentage in games (win/loss ratio)
3. head-to-head winner

In the event of an X-way tie in Singles Pools after all tiebreakers are exhausted, a best-of-1 round robin will be played out between the X players until there is a clear order of placings.
I feel like tiebreaks should be
1. Number of Sets won
2. head-to-head winner
3. Winning percentage in games

I would hate to lose a tiebreak to someone I beat in head to head, just because I dropped a game to someone and he/she didn't. I feel like head-to-head is the most direct tie breaker you could have.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Yeah I'm down with pools as long as the pools aren't ran like APEX or EVO. Where it's just a bracket pool which still means if you double eliminated, you are out. Round Robin pools is my shet.

Top Bottom