• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Captain Toad would be hype. He has my support!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Can I also be put as a supporter for Captain Toad? I don't know if anyone saw my post from a few pages ago, but I had said that I would give Sakurai extra points if not only would he add Captain Toad, but he would also make Toadette an alt. for Capt. Toad as well. It would be a decent way to add Toadette to Smash and not have anyone question why she's in rather than Capt. Toad. (Or any incarnation of him, to an extent.)

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
At tremendous risks of getting my hopes up too badly...
I think the good captain is a very likely DLC candidate, though I'd say Rayman is the only virtually certain one.

Craxian

Smash Rookie
The chances of Captain Toad seem a bit lower now, what with Mario already getting two newcomers this game around. However, I still support him for DLC.

Cheesedork

Smash Apprentice
I support Captain Toad if and only if he gets a Toadette alternate costume :p
(like a legit alt, not just colors)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
He's pretty much my major need for DLC. Mario's main player list just feels so incomplete without a Toad of some kind being a fighter.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I love Toadette and I'm so happy for her being in Captain Toad.

But it is not a necessity IMO that she be an alternate for Captain Toad/Toad if he get into Smash Brothers. Toad is the more iconic of the two, and Toadette while popular, isn't quite at the stature of say the Koopalings or even other spin-off characters like Daisy and Waluigi.

Still, it'd be nifty, just would feel like (to me at least) a bit of a poke into the gut of other spin-off character fans like Daisy and Waluigi if she were to be a full fledged alt when Daisy can't even get that.

Nor would it seem fair to Waluigi's fans that she'd be in Smash in a more directly involved way than him.

Last edited:
I'm reeeeally for Captain Toad not jumping. Just pop a purple glowing platform below him when pressing jump.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly at this point there's very little reason why Daisy hasn't been made an alt. Reskin Toad Counter to whatever Sarasaland has as an equivalent. Sure her moveset may not be 100% accurate, but since when could the Koopalings transform into Shadow Mario? Or Alph not use Rock Pikmin?

Likewise I'd be fine with Toadette sharing Toad's slot as an Alt. If Toadette gets in via Toad, that's a cool bonus for everyone and I'd much prefer that than having a bizarre tag team ala Ice Climbers, Pikmin or Luma.
Hell, throw Toadsworth in there as another alt whilst you're at it.

New Toad supporters shall be added shortly to the OP.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Honestly at this point there's very little reason why Daisy hasn't been made an alt. Reskin Toad Counter to whatever Sarasaland has as an equivalent. Sure her moveset may not be 100% accurate, but since when could the Koopalings transform into Shadow Mario? Or Alph not use Rock Pikmin?

Likewise I'd be fine with Toadette sharing Toad's slot as an Alt. If Toadette gets in via Toad, that's a cool bonus for everyone and I'd much prefer that than having a bizarre tag team ala Ice Climbers, Pikmin or Luma.
Hell, throw Toadsworth in there as another alt whilst you're at it.

New Toad supporters shall be added shortly to the OP.
I support the following:

- Captain Toad for Smash.
- Captain Toadette as an alt for Captain Toad in Smash.

I mean, it really needs to happen at this point.
Again, THANK YOU! I've been hoping to get some feedback on the whole "Toadette Alt. for Capt. Toad" thing. As I've said before, Toadette could use this as a fitting way for her to be added to Smash without everyone complaining "Why is Capt. Toad (or any incarnation of Toad) is being booted in favor of Toadette?!" Also, I personally have wanted to see Toadette in Super Smash Bros. for quite some time now, and with the confirmation that "separate characters" can be "alt. skins" of others, (Alph and the Koopalinggs) I feel Capt. Toad and Toadette have a much likely chance to be playable in Smash in a more fitting way together now!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So what do you think of Captain Toad in today's Nintendo Direct? I thought I spotted a new Toad-like mummy enemy.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
So what do you think of Captain Toad in today's Nintendo Direct? I thought I spotted a new Toad-like mummy enemy.
I'm SUPER excited about it! There's just SO much in this game. Can't wait to get it. I got especially excited about the remakes of the 3D World levels, like Shadow-play Alley!

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325

But it is not a necessity IMO that she be an alternate for Captain Toad/Toad if he get into Smash Brothers. Toad is the more iconic of the two, and Toadette while popular, isn't quite at the stature of say the Koopalings or even other spin-off characters like Daisy and Waluigi.

Still, it'd be nifty, just would feel like (to me at least) a bit of a poke into the gut of other spin-off character fans like Daisy and Waluigi if she were to be a full fledged alt when Daisy can't even get that.

Nor would it seem fair to Waluigi's fans that she'd be in Smash in a more directly involved way than him.
to be fair though

CT:TT is all about Toad(s), and Toadette is a major part of it. She's pretty popular, and I see her liked more than Toad sometimes. Waluigi and Daisy haven't been a main character in a game in years.

and even though i am a HUGE toad fan
i wouldn't play CT much if he had no toadette alt.

edit: actually, instead of just CT, i would honestly love CT and CTette as a tag-team more.

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace

We're not talking about Toad, we're talking about Captain Toad. She may not be that iconic to Mario as a whole, but she's quite iconic as far as Captain Toad is concerned.

Whether he's "the" Toad or not, Captain Toad is much more than just a way to get Toad in the game. Similarly, Captain Toadette is much more than just getting Toadette in the game, she would represent Captain Toad.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Toad mummy/Dry Toad/Haunted Toad was a neat little touch. Considering Toad's are everywhere in the Mario-verse it's struck me as surprising we haven't had many villainous Toad versions in the past. Especially since other species tend to be pretty varied.

I kind of hope you can play as either Toad on some of these levels. As much as I like Toadette; she seems to have gotten some of the more interesting stages I wouldn't mind playing as Toad on. Also I'd not mind playing Toadette against that dragon boss.

Worth noting though that Nintendo of Europe brought Captain Toad forward a week so us European Fungi Fans can look forward to Tracking Treasure on the 2nd of January 2015.

Having seen what the Link Amiibo does in Hyrule Warriors and confirmation ALL Amiibo will be compatible with Hyrule Warriors I'm now wondering exactly what the Smash Amiibos will do for Captain Toad.

Costumes? Stages based off the character? Power ups?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I've seen some discussion about a Toadette alt, and here is what I have to say:
The only reason there shouldn't be a Toadette alt is if that would disqualify a Classic Toad Alt. There really should be both.

D

Deleted member

I've seen some discussion about a Toadette alt, and here is what I have to say:
The only reason there shouldn't be a Toadette alt is if that would disqualify a Classic Toad Alt. There really should be both.
Since when does a Toadette alt disqualify classic Toad? If anything the headlamp and backpack disqualify the "true" classic Toad, but normal Captain Toad with classic Toad clothing (and the headlamp and backpack) could work. Plus I spotted Blue Toad with glasses in an explorer suit, so the Toad Brigade could join the action as alternates with added headlamps and backpacks, with or without the Captain Toad suit. Having 1 alternate doesn't disqualify another, unless :4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy:and:4ludwig: got cut in a patch recently?

Now that I think of it Captain Toad, Captain Toadette, Captain Toad from Mario Galaxy with the red vest, and Green Banktoad, Purple Mailtoad, Yellow sleepy Toad, and Blue glasses Toad from the Toad Brigade and Classic Toad with the blue vest could be alternates, as long as each gets the headlamp and backpack.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
The chances of Captain Toad seem a bit lower now, what with Mario already getting two newcomers this game around. However, I still support him for DLC.
Technically we got 9 Mario newcomers :4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::rosalina:. 10 if you count Luma.

I think Sakurai introducing character alts was genius. That way he can introduce multiple newcomers from different franchises as DLC if he chooses. So characters like Daisy could still be a possibility and Toadette if we get Captain Toad as well. In the recent Direct Bill Trinen mentioned how the Amiibo can bring costumes or content to the games it's compatible with. So there's the possibility if get character alts or character costumes it could work as either eshop DLC, comes "free" with the Amiibo you purchase, or both depending if you don't want to buy a specific Amiibo from the roster in order to get the extra content.

Maybe I'm over thinking this. I'm just really hyped for the Captain Toad game after watching the Nintendo Direct, and getting the chance to play Toadette.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
If Captain Toad ever became a DLC character, I highly doubt that Toadette would become an alt.
Being an alt. color though, I think that's likely.
wat

they have the exact same hitboxes
shes a main character in his starring game

toadette or bust
toadette is love toadette is life

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
y'know i gots to say

i dont think i like toad now after watching the end of his game

he just decdides to go to a new world like
seriously amg you just don't go into that new world

SPOILERS: he ditched toadette too

and im kinda mad how there's no

SPOILER: there is no toadsworth.AT ALL

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly Pokechu I see it more as...

SPOILERS: Toadette is sensible enough to not follow him after being kidnapped TWICE in one game. Captain Toad meanwhile has his love of treasure, curiosity and exploration overtake his rational thought process.

A lot of people seem to be against these bonus levels, but I honestly can't understand why. They're BONUS levels and have created for some strange reason a canon timeline. In a Mario game. WHAT?!?

Lack of Toadsworth is slightly disappointing but he seems to be fading from the latest games which is a bit sad.

That said, from what I've seen of the game thus far, it does seem like Captain Toad(and Toadette) have more to play with than we first thought and if anything I'd be even more excited to see them one day enter Super Smash Bros.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Honestly Pokechu I see it more as...

SPOILERS: Toadette is sensible enough to not follow him after being kidnapped TWICE in one game. Captain Toad meanwhile has his love of treasure, curiosity and exploration overtake his rational thought process.

A lot of people seem to be against these bonus levels, but I honestly can't understand why. They're BONUS levels and have created for some strange reason a canon timeline. In a Mario game. WHAT?!?

Lack of Toadsworth is slightly disappointing but he seems to be fading from the latest games which is a bit sad.

That said, from what I've seen of the game thus far, it does seem like Captain Toad(and Toadette) have more to play with than we first thought and if anything I'd be even more excited to see them one day enter Super Smash Bros.

SPOILERS: darn that's a good counter tbh... he did kind of have to ditch toadette, since it's a prequel; if toadette came, then where is she in 3DW? i still gots to love toad, tho. toadette getting kidnapped twice, tho... that hurts.
As for the bonus levels, I like them. It's nice to see the 3DW CT levels again.. timeline in a Mario game, is weird, though. I would had never expected that.

Toadsworth is still making me mad, since he's pretty important to the Toad species.

and also, no Purple Toad? That's a bit sad, too. Oh well. At least they can be in the sequel? (but wouldn't it add on to the timeline? as cool as it is i expect them to ditch it :c)

Hmm. To be honest, I was kind of liking the idea of Toadbert or Toadiko (those time traveling toads in M&L PIT) making a cameo. It'd just be cool, since they could have the machine from the RPG game. longer spoilers: timeline tho

CT and Toadette do have a lot to use now thanks to CT TT.. My hopes for them have doubled tbh. There would be many ways to put them in, too. They could be solo, or a tag team, or they could even incorporate the idea of them emptying their backpack.

Anyone else kind of mad at how a majority of peolple are saying that they'll pick up CT:TT when it's 10 or 20 bucks, tho?
It is their opinion, but I literally compared it to NSMBU and CT is (imo) better for it's price.

NSMBU
73 levels (including star world, not including minigames.)
$60
No Amiibo
Seen-before idea

CT
Around 70 levels ( not including bonus ones)
$40
Amiibo Compatible
Never-Seen-before idea

SPOILERS: also kinda bummed at no pre-order item

Last edited:

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
What if Captain Toad had a gimmick where he could not jump at all, but he has amazing range on his up-tilt and up-smash, and an amazing recovery, even better than the Villager's?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What if Captain Toad had a gimmick where he could not jump at all, but he has amazing range on his up-tilt and up-smash, and an amazing recovery, even better than the Villager's?
Horrible! What if Toad is on a moving stage like Mushroomy Kingdom, Rumble Falls... or a stage with large gaps in the middle like Guar Plains and Gerudo Valley...? Toad have to jump. I don't care if Toad don't jump in his own games... he still have to jump. He will just be a poor jumper like Little Mac is.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The only ways I can see Captain Toad not being able to jump if translated to Smash are either via creative use of appearing platforms/items(Piranha Plant Pot tether grab maybe?) or if his backpack makes him too heavy to be thrown far at all, else he'd be less unbalanced than Mac is right now.

An amazing recovery without jumps? What did you have in mind?

I don't know why but it's become a first that the characters I want have to not suck at Smash

Shulk's good. Kirby is alright. Snake is non existent.

If Toad gets in, he better not suck *sweats*

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Maybe the Toads didn't have genders originally, but Toadette is wearing a skirt, has pigtails and is portrayed as more feminine.

The Toads generally wear open vests which is a strictly masculine outfit(due to obvious reasons). Note Toadette wore a dress under her vest. Feminine.

Call me a cis scum, but considering they've always been referred to as male(Toad) and female(Toadette), it seems completely redundant to answer a question no one was asking.

Tune in next week when we discover Peach and Mario are both convincing transvestites to appeal to the tumblrites.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Toadette is a fricking girl. I'm sorry, but It's plain as a day from the moment Toad and Toadette were both created they were both created as a a guy Toad and a girl Toad. Their designs scream ''This is a guy." and "This is a girl."

Don't confuse this **** anymore Nintendo.

Top Bottom