• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrink's Latest Tourney Videos (got 2nd place)

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
K here they are...to note - I DID NOT play very well against Disciple b/c I still don't know how to fight Lucario...so that would be where I would tell me how to play better. If you want the rest of the tourney vids - http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=184906

New

Winners finals
Disciple (Lucario) vs Shrinkray (Olimar/MK)
game 1/2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqczNgMp7uM
game 3/4 -

Losers finals
Shrinkray (Olimar) vs Seanson (Lucas)
game 1/2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rUAoOEQN1A
game 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7XLcuuUuuw

Grand finals
Disciple (Lucario) vs Shrinkray (Olimar/MK)
game 1 was accidentally not recorded
game 2/3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eaa2OPnotc
game 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7ETa3849VI

Shrinkray (Olimar/MK) vs Neomagic (Ness)
game 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE3f4d7OrAg
game 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trf0wX0pebI - get ***** :D
game 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rk845f1v5A

Old

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eboue914i0I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTrpBCTmDaw = set 2

if you want the other two vids - just yell at me on here - and i'll see if i can get them uploaded soon.

BTW - these are the some of the worse sets that we played that day - pressure and whatnot - pick apart my game if you wish - for the people that know me, you know the drill...any comments are appreciated.

AvantGarde

Smash Cadet
Your use of floatyness was brilliant as well. I was really impressed at the end when you approached with the fair and drifted back away from the counter. Great stuff.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Great match, fun to watch Marth go from 0 to 120 and die while only dealing 22% to you. Pivot Grabs are always fun.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Thanks guys - you've heard me talk about how godly I think the up b is with olimar - the pivot grab is my newest similar favorite tech...

btw - these were all done BEFORE I ripped up my finger so deaths can't be blamed on it :p

PikminEater

Smash Cadet
Your Olimar is a monster! :) Very enjoyable match.

Uh, critique-wise, I didn't really see anything you did wrong. I'm fairly n00bish, but you made very few mistakes and switched up your game a lot. The only suggestion I could make is to use your UpB less. It became fairly predictable. You didn't get punished for its lag by the Marth, but other players might nail you for it.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Your Olimar is a monster! :) Very enjoyable match.

Uh, critique-wise, I didn't really see anything you did wrong. I'm fairly n00bish, but you made very few mistakes and switched up your game a lot. The only suggestion I could make is to use your UpB less. It became fairly predictable. You didn't get punished for its lag by the Marth, but other players might nail you for it.
I use it more than most olimars and its a tad useless but this is something shanus might understand if he decided to poke his head in here -

compared to melee - brawl can feel slow and boring...however, using the up - b, dashdancing and similar techniques makes it feel more technical than it actually is.

When I get to tourneys, I switch it up a lot more - but I'm still trying to learn when its fully useful - thanks for the critique though!

PikminEater

Smash Cadet
I use it more than most olimars and its a tad useless but this is something shanus might understand if he decided to poke his head in here -

compared to melee - brawl can feel slow and boring...however, using the up - b, dashdancing and similar techniques makes it feel more technical than it actually is.

When I get to tourneys, I switch it up a lot more - but I'm still trying to learn when its fully useful - thanks for the critique though!
Oh, okay then. Sounds like you got it fully under control. :) I must say your match was very inspiring. I feel like picking Olimar back up. (I briefly stopped using him to work on my Peach) And I definitely noticed a more technical and faster feel to the match. Very nice and keep it up!

Puddin

Smash Lord
Thanks guys - you've heard me talk about how godly I think the up b is with olimar - the pivot grab is my newest similar favorite tech...

btw - these were all done BEFORE I ripped up my finger so deaths can't be blamed on it :p
You can blame it on the thought of you ever ripping you're finger up.

xandeR-

Smash Apprentice
That Marth needs to fair more. It's the bane of Olimar.

Still, great matches. I like how you play him. I'm gonna pass on a few little tips to my friend who plays Olimar too!

shanus

Smash Hero
im in a boring meeting right now, will watch and comment soon

shanus

Smash Hero
alrighty, just watched it and I have to say, our olimar's are scarily similar!

Some noticable differences though, you do a lot more offensive purple f+b's whereas I like to save them for dsmash a lot more. Also, you tend to use whistle almost exclusively for defense. Whistle kills are excellent, especially against F+b spamming marths. Whistledsmash with a purple or upsmash just screams yes please! I am a whistlewhore, and I'm surprised you havent picked that up as well with how aggressive you play.

One thing I've noticed is you tend to have a much more ground-based style than me. I tend to usually be in the air most of the time which made these matches very interesting as it shows me a slightly different take on it all. Sexy Olimar, as always shrink. Keep it up.

Also, does anyone else use dash attack to start combos/juggles? I swear I never see them at all lately and I like to use it a bunch to add some variety.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
alrighty, just watched it and I have to say, our olimar's are scarily similar!

Some noticable differences though, you do a lot more offensive purple f+b's whereas I like to save them for dsmash a lot more. Also, you tend to use whistle almost exclusively for defense. Whistle kills are excellent, especially against F+b spamming marths. Whistledsmash with a purple or upsmash just screams yes please! I am a whistlewhore, and I'm surprised you havent picked that up as well with how aggressive you play.

One thing I've noticed is you tend to have a much more ground-based style than me. I tend to usually be in the air most of the time which made these matches very interesting as it shows me a slightly different take on it all. Sexy Olimar, as always shrink. Keep it up.

Also, does anyone else use dash attack to start combos/juggles? I swear I never see them at all lately and I like to use it a bunch to add some variety.
1) I told you we were really similiar! But I loved the differences you pointed out - a couple I didn't even notice.

2) Offensive whistling...hmm...with whistling being a SAF move, I never thought to use it on the other end...as you can see, I use it to turn a fight that I am losing...especially against an opponent that likes to juggle. Great tip!

3) Yes, I am more ground based - against air based characters. I go the opposite direction of the opponent I am fighting - so against Marth, Kirby, etc...lots of P.G. dash attacks...up smash...but i'll try to get fights against other characters soon to show the difference...it seems if i'm in the air against the people that use those characters, I regret...firewulf gets a couple kills at very very low percents on me later.

4) I use the dash attack one million times more than I did in melee...and the reason I don't like it is simple - I abuse people who use the dash attack...easiest move to shield grab in the game for everyone except snake and Ike. I try to use it 3-5 times a match and always at lower percent to lead into up air.

Shanus - you are the man - great tips...and I want to see more sets with you man b/c I genuinely get better watching you play - its pretty exciting too!!

Second Set just posted!

shanus

Smash Hero
Yeah I'll try and get more up at some point, although lately I've been a bit busier as I might need to get surgery on something so I've not had much time for games.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
I don't have time to watch all the matches, but I did watch the first match on BF. Something that i started doing is not plucking immediately on Bf against Marth (and MK), since it puts you in a situation that is very disadvantageous for you, since the Marth ends up just below you, and in a good spot to land a sweetspoted attack. Instead, I usually get off that platform swiftly, and attempt to knock the Marth away a bit, then pluck while he cant get the advantage.

asob4

Smash Champion
why did that marth never do the >B angled down?? the multi hitter
that's all danimals ever does to me :(

good games though man excellent olimar

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
why did that marth never do the >B angled down?? the multi hitter
that's all danimals ever does to me :(

good games though man excellent olimar
With di, it is possible to get out of the end hits - and after 3 or so attempts, the diminishing returns really hurts the damage - either way - the knockback is more on the neutral finisher with tip and hurts olimar more.

keeper

Smash Champion
Good stuff. Though I can't help but think it was stupidly funny when on Pokémon Stadium, you jumped off, tossed a pikmin and got hit then died. >_>;

geekd

Smash Apprentice
Wow your olimar has improved considerably over the past months. You play much quicker now. I used to think my olimar could **** yours--now im not too sure. I loved the upbs, pivot grabs and whistle armor. Tilting may help vary your playstyle a bit (sometimes utilt is preferable to sh nair). Also, whenever marth is above oli on a platform, nair works wonders. Overall you look great

TheWii

Smash Journeyman
Im not as good as you but I would say use Olimars side-b more. I only watched the first video but the side-b is really good to annoy your opponent so that he gets confused and then you can just grab him or fair or something.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Im not as good as you but I would say use Olimars side-b more. I only watched the first video but the side-b is really good to annoy your opponent so that he gets confused and then you can just grab him or fair or something.
thank you for the comment and i think that all olly's transform their playstyle as they play more to latch less...since better opponents kill the little buggers before they even do damage O.o

Wow your olimar has improved considerably over the past months. You play much quicker now. I used to think my olimar could **** yours--now im not too sure. I loved the upbs, pivot grabs and whistle armor. Tilting may help vary your playstyle a bit (sometimes utilt is preferable to sh nair). Also, whenever marth is above oli on a platform, nair works wonders. Overall you look great
Thank you very much - and i've thought at the nair a lot...but i think the up tilt is a habit from doubles where i just want to stay as low and safe as possible :D...however, you'll probably see me work it into my next videos!

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Watched second set. Closed out of it after about 30 seconds or so..
Smashing with white pikmin, grabbing against someone who can spotdodge them well enough.. Try something other than the samew things if it's not working. Maybe using moves without pikmin once or twice?

Then again, I did close it after getting frustrated at it way too fast. Also, apparently your fingers were hurt, so that's probably why you didn't bother knowing what your order is.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Smashing with white pikmin, grabbing against someone who can spotdodge them well enough.. Try something other than the samew things if it's not working. Maybe using moves without pikmin once or twice?

Then again, I did close it after getting frustrated at it way too fast. Also, apparently your fingers were hurt, so that's probably why you didn't bother knowing what your order is.
the white pikmin i understand - the grab thing is part of brawl...no one lands all grabs... - and repetition...did i mention this is brawl?

Like i'm not saying i'm perfect or even close to that...but umm...who plays and doesn't make mistakes. Its pretty obvious to know that no one plays a perfect game...especially since the game has only been out a couple of months...so get upset at my videos all you want, but since i was looking for critiques, i don't really know what your goal is and if it was achieved.

P.S. - I have no problem with you explaining why i'm so bad and whatnot, but I don't just think its helpful to me, or more importantly, the community that should watch someone like me and understand what mistakes i'm making so they can move and improve their own games.

P.P.S. - I don't know why this upset me so much, but it did. This is truly the reason why I planned to leave this forum a week ago and why i probably will leave it in the future. I came here originally for help to improve my atrocious olly and I received more help than I could have dreamed. But now, it seems like a countdown before someone comes in and just throws out why i'm bad and they are so much better. I would be better served simply pming the members that would actually help me.

Of all of the games I could have put up, I posted that these were some of the worst, on purpose...its more important for lower level players to see my mistake rather than grab combos all game, and its important for me to show that I'm not perfect and to actually be in a position to receive true criticism and improve my own playstyle.

-Shrink

Rocann

Smash Lord

Are you serious? Smashing with white pikmin is a problem? Why don't you play someone good enough that you don't have TIME to screw with what pikmin is next and you just need some space immediately so you can really LEARN olimar instead of coming and criticizing someone using stuff you read in some internet guide "smashing with white pikmin is a bad idea. Their knockback and damage is decreased and they are better used for latching." What a joke.

I'm not even going to touch the other thing you said, it's pointless.

----------------------

Fun matches to watch, shrink. My style with Oli is pretty much determined now, but it's always nice to see how other people play the character and to possibly find a player that completely shuts me down, then remember "wait, what did (whoever) do in that onve video..."

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Are you serious? Smashing with white pikmin is a problem? Why don't you play someone good enough that you don't have TIME to screw with what pikmin is next and you just need some space immediately so you can really LEARN olimar instead of coming and criticizing someone using stuff you read in some internet guide "smashing with white pikmin is a bad idea. Their knockback and damage is decreased and they are better used for latching." What a joke.

I'm not even going to touch the other thing you said, it's pointless.

----------------------

Fun matches to watch, shrink. My style with Oli is pretty much determined now, and there's little I haven't seen or thought of, but it's always nice to see how other people play the character and to possibly work something into a hole in my game.
i'm really just happy that someone actually defended me on this...and rocann...you are the only dude i'd be willing to wifi with...you are a beast :D

Rocann

Smash Lord
haha any time. I was actually going to go to sleep but if there's one thing that gets me angry it's when someone tries to tell somebody else how to play a character when they obviously don't know themselves and now I'm not tired at all.

Why do you like to run off the stage and ledgegrab and stuff after you kill people? I understand if you don't wanna be near him when he comes back invincible but marth's edgeguarding = too good, I'd never put myself off of the level without him working for it. this is how criticism should be made toward something you're not completely sure of btw

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
haha any time. I was actually going to go to sleep but if there's one thing that gets me angry it's when someone tries to tell somebody else how to play a character when they obviously don't know themselves and now I'm not tired at all.

Why do you like to run off the stage and ledgegrab and stuff after you kill people? I understand if you don't wanna be near him when he comes back invincible but marth's edgeguarding = too good, I'd never put myself off of the level without him working for it. this is how criticism should be made toward something you're not completely sure of btw
that is something i shouldn't do...honest answer...melee habits i can't get rid of :D

RichBrown

Smash Master
I just watched the second set. I'm really impressed, most of the moves you made are moves I wouldn't have thought of. Because of your vids I've started using the pivot grabs, and the tether is **** when used properly! Just work on landing it at the end of those combos. 2 more quick things:

When possible, at the very beginning of the match I will try to latch a pikmin or 2, or even attack, instead of standardly plucking 3 more. I especially love it when I pluck a white first, because I'll have it latched before "GO!" even disappears from the screen. I played my friend's DK 2 days ago on BF and latched a white at the beginning. he didnt notice right away so he didn't try to knock it off, and by the time he noticed it the white had already done a whopping 59%. ill take 59% in exchange for 3 pikmin any day ;)

another olimar technique I've found extremely useful is that "running backwards pivot grab" move (i dont bother to learn abbreviations lol). It works against pretty much any character, just simply running away and then backwards grabbing. It works best when your opponent has already committed to an approach because they can't get away from it. It will really catch them off guard, because it's really hard to tell when Oli is doing a grab. All of his moves look alike XD

I hope this helps. Again, freakin sweet Olimar, these vids helped me out. Keep it up bud! ;)

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
I didn't come to this thread after I posted because I didn't care enough, but after something that I had recieved from Shrink, I decided to check back.

WOw. I understand the game (Olimar's mainly) completely and know if your enemy can dodge a grab in one part, he can do this again and hit you with (This case) a sword.
Yes, a white is bad to smash with, unless you take advantage of the low knockback, which didn't happen.
Yes, you should know what pikmin is coming up next. Hell, try knowing the three in your line. If you say play better people and see if you do your line, then I guess 'known' people are bad.
I do this to M2K, Mr.X and tons of others. Mainly because that is how you optimize Olimar. It's like saying in a RPG to use fire element against people who absorb half of fire damage. Common sense.

I defended the poor quality of your gameplay (Second video) because I saw that you had said you hurt yor thumbs and accepted that. Now you say you weren't even trying and making a point.
I didn't even think of doing that lame line of 'No Johns' to you. I reguarded you as good, but you seem just... petty.

Really. I have nothing against you, but don't badmouth people who aren't reading the thread anymore, if they weren't in the first place.
Just bring it up in another PM if you have more issues.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
I didn't come to this thread after I posted because I didn't care enough, but after something that I had recieved from Shrink, I decided to check back.

WOw. I understand the game (Olimar's mainly) completely and know if your enemy can dodge a grab in one part, he can do this again and hit you with (This case) a sword.
Yes, a white is bad to smash with, unless you take advantage of the low knockback, which didn't happen.
Yes, you should know what pikmin is coming up next. Hell, try knowing the three in your line. If you say play better people and see if you do your line, then I guess 'known' people are bad.
I do this to M2K, Mr.X and tons of others. Mainly because that is how you optimize Olimar. It's like saying in a RPG to use fire element against people who absorb half of fire damage. Common sense.

I defended the poor quality of your gameplay (Second video) because I saw that you had said you hurt yor thumbs and accepted that. Now you say you weren't even trying and making a point.
I didn't even think of doing that lame line of 'No Johns' to you. I reguarded you as good, but you seem just... petty.

Really. I have nothing against you, but don't badmouth people who aren't reading the thread anymore, if they weren't in the first place.
Just bring it up in another PM if you have more issues.
pretty sure that you haven't even had a chance to refer to m2k or to mr x b/c neither of them are actively looking for criticism on SWF...

Secondly - didn't hurt my thumbs - never said I did. Do I have to quote myself? Never said I wasn't trying...said those weren't my best games...the bests make mistakes...since i'm not the best, I make PLENTY...

Thirdly...we both know this isn't just happening from this forum and just today. You have been patrolling these forums like you own them for a while and you have no reason for people to respect your opinion simply b/c its your opinion. And you watched 30 SECONDS OF THE VIDEO...that's a good sample of gameplay.

Finally - the pms you sent me prove the point I'm trying to make - trying to make me out to be petty or a troll is not going to work here. I've put my pride on the line since brawl came out by posting videos not to prove i'm better than anyone. It has been since the beginning, to help the community. Dealing with people like you is the worst part of ALL online forums and you can troll wherever you wish, just please don't try to treat me like I'm a child. I've respected the opinions of all people who have posted here, not everyone has been pleased with everything I've done. I'm not interested in this type of argument, so please don't do it in my forum, I'd be happiest if you left the olly forums all together, but I can't force you to do that.

I just watched the second set. I'm really impressed, most of the moves you made are moves I wouldn't have thought of. Because of your vids I've started using the pivot grabs, and the tether is **** when used properly! Just work on landing it at the end of those combos. 2 more quick things:

When possible, at the very beginning of the match I will try to latch a pikmin or 2, or even attack, instead of standardly plucking 3 more. I especially love it when I pluck a white first, because I'll have it latched before "GO!" even disappears from the screen. I played my friend's DK 2 days ago on BF and latched a white at the beginning. he didnt notice right away so he didn't try to knock it off, and by the time he noticed it the white had already done a whopping 59%. ill take 59% in exchange for 3 pikmin any day ;)

another olimar technique I've found extremely useful is that "running backwards pivot grab" move (i dont bother to learn abbreviations lol). It works against pretty much any character, just simply running away and then backwards grabbing. It works best when your opponent has already committed to an approach because they can't get away from it. It will really catch them off guard, because it's really hard to tell when Oli is doing a grab. All of his moves look alike XD

I hope this helps. Again, freakin sweet Olimar, these vids helped me out. Keep it up bud! ;)
Thank you for the compliments - you are right about the latch at the beginning of the video and a good option for an opponent who can't attack right out of the gate like a dk, snake, or especially a ddd...however, with Marth and Firewulf - I didn't feel safe in this technique :(.

Simply call it retreating pg - or retreating pivot grab - this technique OWNS. I'm glad the videos helped...if you have any that you want me to watch, I'd be more than willing to return the favor that you gave me!

BIG PS - HUGE tourney tomorrow, expect videos soon.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Please read how I say bring it up in PMs shrink. I'm happy to share both of our PMs to whoever wants to see them if you want to gain face this badly.
Read how I say PMing so that this forum isn't cluttered with flaming from you.

30 seconds of time is plenty to see a bad match go down.

You are correct at least about your thumbs. You said these videos were from -before- ripping your thumbs up. Proved me wrong there!

Remember. If you want to continue flaming me for my comment on your video which I could have sworn you gladly accepted, PM it to me.

Final note, I played M2K and Mr.x (Mr.X during lag though.) Not like.. hours, but a good hour or hour and a half. So yeah. Good.

Remember. PMing keeps apparently 'YOUR' forum clean.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Want critique? Anyways, great matches. Marth v Olimar is a fun matchup. Battle of the minds.

I saw one thing that kept on happening to you when playing defense. You'd fsmash him after he entered the range of it. This poses a problem to characters that try to space well with certain moves like DDD's or DK's ftilt especially against very aggressive characters like Marth. Try and time the fsmash so that the hitbox will end as he enters its range. That way, it'll be unpunishable and it'll help you space better.

I liked your use of dtilt for the most part. I'm surprised he didn't punish it very often, if any. I'd try and spray some ftilts instead of dtilt for those times when he lands after falling from the knockback of an attack when you think he'll airdodge. Its hitbox lasts surprisingly a little longer than dtilt's.

I recommend using nair more (not totally) instead of upair after a close attack at low percents. If you think you know where he's gonna DI, it's fine. It's just that nair lasts a little longer and you'll be able punish his DI a little bit better. It's hard to describe what I'm trying to say here.

where's the dash attack? It's a great combo starter that'll mix up your game a bit. try and use it instead of dtilt some more.

shanus

Smash Hero
uh oh flamewar. I offer hugs and much love. that and possibly some finally *new* sets on youtube at some point this week. that is my way to appease this flamewar, so that you all can flame me instead. sexylove for all!

geekd

Smash Apprentice
for the most part, most of olimars moves are easily airdodged. If your close enough, you can usually get neutral a's off quick enough to hit em the instant they "reappear". Plus you can play around with the timing between the two hits to really **** them up. It stops airdodgers in their tracks

Top Bottom