• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrink's Latest Tourney Videos (got 2nd place)

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
uh oh flamewar. I offer hugs and much love. that and possibly some finally *new* sets on youtube at some point this week. that is my way to appease this flamewar, so that you all can flame me instead. sexylove for all!
Sexylove back to you!!

I got 2nd at the tourney this weekend...it was insane!!!!!! So i'll have videos up...plus a video that everyone should love...yep I get 3 stocked in 1:20 by a Ness!! :D

BTW - I never hurt my thumbs...at all...ever...where did that come from? I have stitches in my hand...

Shanus - can't wait for the vids!!

shanus

Smash Hero
3 stocked by a ness? Frowntown. If only I was there haha, I play against ness the most by far so I know the matchup way too well. nice job at the tourney.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
3 stocked by a ness? Frowntown. If only I was there haha, I play against ness the most by far so I know the matchup way too well. nice job at the tourney.
Here - I won match one - http://youtube.com/watch?v=mE3f4d7OrAg

match two - where i get 3 stocked :D http://youtube.com/watch?v=trf0wX0pebI was HILARIOUS

match three - went mk http://youtube.com/watch?v=_rk845f1v5A

I don't fight many nesses and I 2 stocked this kid like two weeks before...man did he improve fast.

shanus

Smash Hero
i **** ness. like seriously, if I could do a tournament against only ness, I would be happy.

shrink, plenty of advice on the ness match-up. Abuse your yellow pikmin to death. That ness was not an nair abusing ness, and nair/bair are the only moves you should be scared of (bair is slow, easy whistle). If you abuse yellow fairs, latches, etc, he can't do anything besides nair and all. Also, as always, offensive whistles. I saw so many situations where an offensive whistle will seal the deal on him. Killing Ness off the top is surprisingly hard, but if you whistle dsmash, a side kill is easy, and easy to gimp. I havent gotten to watch a lot of it yet, but a player of your caliber should be able to handle that match-up easily with a bit of practice.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
i **** ness. like seriously, if I could do a tournament against only ness, I would be happy.

shrink, plenty of advice on the ness match-up. Abuse your yellow pikmin to death. That ness was not an nair abusing ness, and nair/bair are the only moves you should be scared of (bair is slow, easy whistle). If you abuse yellow fairs, latches, etc, he can't do anything besides nair and all. Also, as always, offensive whistles. I saw so many situations where an offensive whistle will seal the deal on him. Killing Ness off the top is surprisingly hard, but if you whistle dsmash, a side kill is easy, and easy to gimp. I havent gotten to watch a lot of it yet, but a player of your caliber should be able to handle that match-up easily with a bit of practice.
if only I could practice...I'll try to convince a friend to pick up ness! :D thanks for the advice though...top notch as usual.

asob4

Smash Champion
do you have experience vs lucario?

i saw some flaws.

never be under lucario. his dair is gaaay. WAC any and all WoP from luke.
i saw some attacks that should have been grabs

otherwise good **** ^^

oh and lucario dies rather early, in the 110's

saw a lot of flubbed up short hops, happens to the best of us though :D

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
do you have experience vs lucario?

i saw some flaws.

never be under lucario. his dair is gaaay. WAC any and all WoP from luke.
i saw some attacks that should have been grabs

otherwise good **** ^^

oh and lucario dies rather early, in the 110's

saw a lot of flubbed up short hops, happens to the best of us though :D
in the first post, I said that I don't play lucario so should be PLENTY of mistakes...I wasn't very happy with how I played...but nothing I can really do now :D

asob4

Smash Champion
i didn't read haha
but yeah, never be under a lucario
i believe his most vulnerable spot is from above as he only really has his up tilt. just WAC through it and punish

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
1. Hi Shrink, you prolly don't remember me cause we haven't talked in forever.
2. Just finished watching your vids, congrats on second place, anyway. =)
3. How come no more Dtilt as a taunt? I miss it. ;p
4. I hate Lucario, too. I mean, who mains Lucario?! lol

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
1. Hi Shrink, you prolly don't remember me cause we haven't talked in forever.
2. Just finished watching your vids, congrats on second place, anyway. =)
3. How come no more Dtilt as a taunt? I miss it. ;p
4. I hate Lucario, too. I mean, who mains Lucario?! lol
I remember you, of course i do :D

I do knew taunts every week...:D

and I hate lucario :D

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
and I hate lucario :D
His fair goes right through Oli's half the time. And his fsmash's range is like 3 cm longer than Oli's grab...

I usually try to go easy on the pikmin spam, as having him at a higher damage just means he can hurt you more... his Bup does no damage at all so it's easy to spike, IMO..

Awex

Smash Lord
Lucario I can see being really difficult. I have this weird thing going though.. I've played so many Lucarios in tournament. Like a different Lucario player every 2 tournaments. Though none have been that great so far, I'm at least pretty familiar with the character and his properties.

Be very precise and save your up smash. You want to have your strongest kill move fresh, because a Lucario with high % is a big threat. As soon he's within KO range, KO him.

He's not easy to combo at all. It's best to just predict and punish with correct spacing. (dthrow him, wait for the dair/fair while you're out of range, regrab, dthrow chase their jump with uair to up-b ect.)

Really you just have to be the more patient player and keep spacing really well. If they camp with aura sphere, sit and spam side-b. Aura sphere doesn't go through a returning Pikmin. If they don't approach, wait til you've got a white, jump higher to latch it and punish when they try to get it off.

Aaaaaand that's my thoughts on Lucario... Nice videos Shrink. =)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you know he's gonna try and fsmash, and you're at max grab range, DO NOT TRY TO GRAB HIM. You might not have enough time. Just running shieldgrab or try to fit in a speedy fsmash if you have the time.

Good matches, and congrats on 2nd place.

asob4

Smash Champion
WAC his fairs and punish :)

he dies around 110 off the top so it shouldn't be hard killing him

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
i just wrote like 2 bg paragraphs..... but it looged me out when i posted :/ so i'll re-write them when i'm no longer lazy check back later lol

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
ok, ness....
chase ness..... this is the easiest way to kill him imo. i love fighting ness because once i get him off the ledge, he's dead... force the 2nd jump... then **** the slow recovery, he can only be so fast with hitting himself with electric ball.... and oli's fair by the right player is faster. i also noticed that your attacks looked premeditated as if they weren't dependednt on where your opponent was or what they were doing... maybe you got frustrated idk but it the 2nd match i noticed it a lot

lucario... i know you said you haven't played alot of them so this is more for future reference

first thing... someone previously stated that the worst position for olimar is under lucario (i'm calling him luc i'm lazy) this is a myth. luc's dair is amazing but oli's uair is amazing plus 1... there is very little that goes through oli's uair... so as long as you have time to uair, you are advantageous to luc in the air. now if luc is aboce you and he is too close for you to uar, then you need to move, because his dair will go thgouth oli's up-smash
next thing, your fair vs luc fair.... fair vs fair... you lose... but, spaced properly ypu can kinda hit luc on the head or do it either right before or right after it comes out and hit luc... i can't explain it i just do it, but you can get around the move
that leads into the next point.... chase.... again lol i don't say chase every onpponent, but what can luc really do? you can get through his fair, his up-b has a slow start up nor does it hurt you. so when he's off the edge, chase, and be in his face so that you fair when he up-b's... you can actually hit him while he is up-bing. it takes some practice but luc is another one of the characters that you don't let get back on the stage... during this match, you were also trying to force the up-smash quite a bit, don't expect to kill luc with it, there a re a few openings, but noramlly luc will out prioritze it since the opening is noramlly while they are aboce you and dair goes through oli's uair
so to sum up, expect to kill luc with mind gamed d-smash, gimpsing his recovery, and chasing him... if he leaves the stage make him pay

just something random, i've noticed that you up edgegaured alot, i understand its safer, but you should look into practiing the fair to edge gaurd since there is less lag and you go after opponents further out with it, plus it knocks opponents further, and done correctly you won't be in a position to get gimped....

this is the end of my post, it was longer and better put together .... but i'm very lazy and got frustrated fromt he first post not getting posted lol

edit: ahhhh, i coppied so i could paste it on the above post, i guess i got half way to the goal by copying lol

asob4

Smash Champion
the only way oli's up air will go through the dair is if you do it before he does. otherwise the dair will always win
trust me on this. we have like 15 lucarios out here

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
i know...... u uair while jumping into him, his only option is to airdodge... if he dair... and ur uair connects u win always, its getting hit before/after your uair that oli loses

u can test it if you want, get someone to dair with luc.... just uair into it and you win.... don't go to it then uair, but have uair deployed when you reach him

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
ok, ness....
chase ness..... this is the easiest way to kill him imo. i love fighting ness because once i get him off the ledge, he's dead... force the 2nd jump... then **** the slow recovery, he can only be so fast with hitting himself with electric ball.... and oli's fair by the right player is faster. i also noticed that your attacks looked premeditated as if they weren't dependednt on where your opponent was or what they were doing... maybe you got frustrated idk but it the 2nd match i noticed it a lot

lucario... i know you said you haven't played alot of them so this is more for future reference

first thing... someone previously stated that the worst position for olimar is under lucario (i'm calling him luc i'm lazy) this is a myth. luc's dair is amazing but oli's uair is amazing plus 1... there is very little that goes through oli's uair... so as long as you have time to uair, you are advantageous to luc in the air. now if luc is aboce you and he is too close for you to uar, then you need to move, because his dair will go thgouth oli's up-smash
next thing, your fair vs luc fair.... fair vs fair... you lose... but, spaced properly ypu can kinda hit luc on the head or do it either right before or right after it comes out and hit luc... i can't explain it i just do it, but you can get around the move
that leads into the next point.... chase.... again lol i don't say chase every onpponent, but what can luc really do? you can get through his fair, his up-b has a slow start up nor does it hurt you. so when he's off the edge, chase, and be in his face so that you fair when he up-b's... you can actually hit him while he is up-bing. it takes some practice but luc is another one of the characters that you don't let get back on the stage... during this match, you were also trying to force the up-smash quite a bit, don't expect to kill luc with it, there a re a few openings, but noramlly luc will out prioritze it since the opening is noramlly while they are aboce you and dair goes through oli's uair
so to sum up, expect to kill luc with mind gamed d-smash, gimpsing his recovery, and chasing him... if he leaves the stage make him pay

just something random, i've noticed that you up edgegaured alot, i understand its safer, but you should look into practiing the fair to edge gaurd since there is less lag and you go after opponents further out with it, plus it knocks opponents further, and done correctly you won't be in a position to get gimped....

this is the end of my post, it was longer and better put together .... but i'm very lazy and got frustrated fromt he first post not getting posted lol

edit: ahhhh, i coppied so i could paste it on the above post, i guess i got half way to the goal by copying lol
Thank you for the info...the problem with chasing lucario off the stage isn't necessarily just about lucario, its about your specific opponent...and I watched disciple win 2v1's all day simply by winning the edge battles...so note...I got scared :D...but everything was good there, thank you.

Lucario I can see being really difficult. I have this weird thing going though.. I've played so many Lucarios in tournament. Like a different Lucario player every 2 tournaments. Though none have been that great so far, I'm at least pretty familiar with the character and his properties.

Be very precise and save your up smash. You want to have your strongest kill move fresh, because a Lucario with high % is a big threat. As soon he's within KO range, KO him.

He's not easy to combo at all. It's best to just predict and punish with correct spacing. (dthrow him, wait for the dair/fair while you're out of range, regrab, dthrow chase their jump with uair to up-b ect.)

Really you just have to be the more patient player and keep spacing really well. If they camp with aura sphere, sit and spam side-b. Aura sphere doesn't go through a returning Pikmin. If they don't approach, wait til you've got a white, jump higher to latch it and punish when they try to get it off.

Aaaaaand that's my thoughts on Lucario... Nice videos Shrink. =)
I was hunting for the up smash all game...but disciple spammed the down air to prevent from being hit...remember the down air out prioritizes every move olly does...so while he does that move, I have no options...from anywhere...so I need to figure out, how to punish that powerful dair...and somehow get my upsmash.

Awex

Smash Lord
If the Lucario knows how good his dair is for that matchup, due to brawl's lack of stun, you kinda have to land the up smash while he's grounded sadly. Catch him on a slower move like side B or space yourself to punish that fabulous roll if you can.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
hmmmmmm, well i guess the chasing is more for after you knock luc far, then i normally force the 2nd jump, grab the ledge, and just jump off and punish then regrab the ledge... because he is forced to go the stage when you are holding the ledge and you just have to act accordingly.
the dair issue... the best ways to punish it are to either uair it, or back away and f-smash or fair them

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
congrats in getting 2nd with oli! i only watched the matches with lucario because i know you're already good.

But adding on to the lucario discussion, (I do second Lucario) I think that your new favorite technique, the pivot grab (which to me is his best move), will work wonders on lucario. There were a lot of situations where you'd launch lucario in the air, and try to follow with another attack. However, he'd counter with an attack (usually dair or fair) and it would work most of time. Instead of constantly approaching him, you can try to dash toward him (to make him think you'll approach with an attack), then turn around(here he'll usually try to counter with an aerial), and do a retreating pivot grab. This works a lot because you'll avoid his aerial, and as he lands, you'll grab him.

In fact, it is tough to avoid Oli's grab when you are landing after attempting an aerial attack. So in summary, Oli's grab game works pretty well against aerial characters as long as you space correctly (retreating pivot grabs help with this).

Other than that, good Oli!

shanus

Smash Hero
woo, back from el hospital.. nice sets shrink, your lucario game needs some work, but practice makes this one not so bad at all. really just focus on being a pivot grab ***** and lucario will just be very sad and be forced to play so defensively that you can literally pikmin spam the hell out of him. and ive already given you bucketloads of advice on your ness matchup

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Also, does anyone else use dash attack to start combos/juggles? I swear I never see them at all lately and I like to use it a bunch to add some variety.
Some characters can counter Oli's dash attack real quick, but when I get the chance, I love dash attacking into a combo.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Thanks guys - I would respond to each person individually but there's been a lot of help...so simply...thank you...Won't be new vids for a while, i'm going to Warped Tour but I'll work on the combo vid some!

Top Bottom