• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Based on the thumbnail, I'm guessing it's the Crash/KOS-MOS/Reimu one. Kinda doubtful on any rumor that just flat-out says the entire pass.
I guess also if there are any leaks still standing pre-Sephiroth they’re the Falcom rumor (which is a bit sus due to its inconsistencies) and the League rumor (which seems a bit more solid)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I guess also if there are any leaks still standing pre-Sephiroth they’re the Falcom rumor (which is a bit sus due to its inconsistencies) and the League rumor (which seems a bit more solid)
...Not really? The LoL rumor has the ToM Spirits and some LoL games, but we've gone through three packs already and no sign of the Knight. The Falcom rumor got all the ports confirmed, plus Cold Steel 1 and 2 in Asia. The worst inconsistency is how recent the negotiations supposedly were, but we don't even know how old the finalization of the pass was. For all we know, Nintendo squeezed in a Falcom rep at the end just because they could. I'd place them around the same level or credibility (Which isn't very high, mind you. About 40$ at the absolute max).

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I saw that video actually.

I’d like to think that the Crash/Reimu/KOS-MOS leak is the one that’s actually true out of all this. Look: this came out shortly after Steve, and was predicting Sephiroth. If we had found that leak a long time before, we’d just wave it off as impossible because “SE stingy”. But after Sephiroth, which in all honesty was a character that was a ballsy character to claim and not just because he’s Square-Enix either, I feel like this is just too big of a claim to just be a “lucky guess”.

Which brings me to the Fighters Pass parallels I’ve brought up on this thread. Or at least, on this site. Crash has too much going for him as a character this year not just because of the parallels Crash has with Banjo (third-party platforming animals), but also because of the Activision Crash roadmap leak that said Crash in Smash will happen this year. And if Crash is our next fighter, then...well, you can say Reimu’s chances in Smash are as sealed as a Buddhist monk in Hokkai.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I saw that video actually.

I’d like to think that the Crash/Reimu/KOS-MOS leak is the one that’s actually true out of all this. Look: this came out shortly after Steve, and was predicting Sephiroth. If we had found that leak a long time before, we’d just wave it off as impossible because “SE stingy”. But after Sephiroth, which in all honesty was a character that was a ballsy character to claim and not just because he’s Square-Enix either, I feel like this is just too big of a claim to just be a “lucky guess”.

Which brings me to the Fighters Pass parallels I’ve brought up on this thread. Or at least, on this site. Crash has too much going for him as a character this year not just because of the parallels Crash has with Banjo (third-party platforming animals), but also because of the Activision Crash roadmap leak that said Crash in Smash will happen this year. And if Crash is our next fighter, then...well, you can say Reimu’s chances in Smash are as sealed as a Buddhist monk in Hokkai.
I don't think it's that set-in-stone. Sephiroth was passed over by a lot of people, but he's popped up surprisingly often when you take a closer look (Seven Squares, Negotiation, etc.) Heck, StormYorha somehow managed to get him right alongside Steve and they're not even an insider; Just a dude who draws funny pictures.
And Crash? Everyone and their mom's predicting Crash. He's the easiest character in that rumor. KOS-MOS would make me more wary, but Crash? You said it yourself, everything's lining up for him (Perhaps too well, but that's a debate for another day). Crash would change nothing.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
...Not really? The LoL rumor has the ToM Spirits and some LoL games, but we've gone through three packs already and no sign of the Knight. The Falcom rumor got all the ports confirmed, plus Cold Steel 1 and 2 in Asia. The worst inconsistency is how recent the negotiations supposedly were, but we don't even know how old the finalization of the pass was. For all we know, Nintendo squeezed in a Falcom rep at the end just because they could. I'd place them around the same level or credibility (Which isn't very high, mind you. About 40$ at the absolute max).
to be fair it's entirely possible the Knight costume could come WITH the LoL rep too. it could go either way.

as for Falcom, the confusion as to whether Rean is playable or part of the Spirit Board or an event makes me sus. The fact Falcom’s rising star, Estelle Bright, isn’t even mentioned is a bit odd too

heheh. rising star. estelle bright. :nessecho:

I don't think it's that set-in-stone. Sephiroth was passed over by a lot of people, but he's popped up surprisingly often when you take a closer look (Seven Squares, Negotiation, etc.) Heck, StormYorha somehow managed to get him right alongside Steve and they're not even an insider; Just a dude who draws funny pictures.
And Crash? Everyone and their mom's predicting Crash. He's the easiest character in that rumor. KOS-MOS would make me more wary, but Crash? You said it yourself, everything's lining up for him (Perhaps too well, but that's a debate for another day). Crash would change nothing.
pretty much how I feel about the 5ch rumor. Crash wouldn't be a solid confirm esp since both him and Sephiroth have been in rumors before. Kossy or Reimu though? then the 5ch leak is worth taking seriously

if someone else entirely is FP9, we could still get one or two of those three but not all three, at least not in the same pass obviously

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
to be fair it's entirely possible the Knight costume could come WITH the LoL rep too. it could go either way.

as for Falcom, the confusion as to whether Rean is playable or part of the Spirit Board or an event makes me sus. The fact Falcom’s rising star, Estelle Bright, isn’t even mentioned is a bit odd too

heheh. rising star. estelle bright. :nessecho:
Honestly I'd argue Rean is the rising star, seeing as the Cold Steel subseries helped get Trails noticed, sold over a million copies, and the fact that he's been (one of) the protagonist of five games so far. From the looks of it the guy seems to be banking on Konda's quote about who he would add.

Either way I'm extremely skeptical of these things. The one rumor I buy is the negotiations one, which is over two years old and doesn't even say who's getting addd next; Just who could have been added.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
back to 2hu a second, anyone know how to install the vsync patch for PCB onward? i think i messed something up (the only vsync patches i can find are for 151, 131, and 128). i was at least able to fix the TOO FAST glitch for EoSD fullscreen using another method from the wiki so that's neat i guess??

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Honestly KOS-MOS is way too unlikely for this leak to be real, I don't see it happening. Even if Namco did ask for KOS-MOS (not impossible but already unlikely), Nintendo would probably refuse as they would surely prefer a Tales rep, and it would be weird to custome both Tekken and Tales to pick Xenosaga instead.

Anyways, Nintendo seems to always go for characters, not for publishers and I don't think there is any precedent of characters getting in with publishers asking for specific franchises instead of others. All these theories about publishers slots seem really pointless to me, there is very little reason for Nintendo or Sakurai to represent specifically new publishers in Smash or avoid representing twice the same publisher, people don't care about that. It's not even displayed in the game, each series has a logo, but there is nothing about publishers.

If anything, it's easier to work several times with the same publishers, so it's not surprising if we get already represented publishers. It would make sense that FP2 characters are just follow ups to base-game or FP1 negociations, maybe FP2 is just leftovers of what they had planned but couldn't add earlier, at least it seems to be the case for Steve and Sephiroth. Interestingly, for now in FP2 we've only got represented publishers in FP1 so maybe that will continue. Similarly, I believe we could get more spirit promotions or assist promotions, since they are already in the game, they might be easier to work with, so it's a bonus for Shadow/Eggman, Rayman, Isaac, etc, who are already good candidates. With this reasoning, a Capcom character could also happen because they got Ken in base game. But it's not very good for Activision or Koei Tecmo, since they got nothing in the game (except Fatal Frame spirit for Koei Tecmo ?).
So in the end, right now I would bet against Hayabusa and Crash.

On the other hand, Namco is probably a special case since they are developing the game. The odd thing about Namco is that Sakurai hinted at them recently when he said they often not remember that they have a character in the game. It could go both ways though, it could mean they won't get more, or it could be a hint at a future character.

I don't know where Indies would fit in this pattern. At least for Touhou, it's probably as easy to negotiate as first party, and very easy to work with since there is only ZUN to communicate with. Maybe Touhou is the 6th slot that's been added later on top of 5 leftovers from FP1 and basegame, it would fit with the timing of the ZUN interview.

So my current guess at the rest of FP2 would be :

• Yuri Lowell (with the return of Lloyd costume), or Lloyd with Yuri as costume
  • Monster Hunter Monster (with the return of hunter costumes), if Pokemon can add monsters, why not MH.
  • Reimu

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Honestly KOS-MOS is way too unlikely for this leak to be real, I don't see it happening. Even if Namco did ask for KOS-MOS (not impossible but already unlikely), Nintendo would probably refuse as they would surely prefer a Tales rep, and it would be weird to custome both Tekken and Tales to pick Xenosaga instead.

Anyways, Nintendo seems to always go for characters, not for publishers and I don't think there is any precedent of characters getting in with publishers asking for specific franchises instead of others. All these theories about publishers slots seem really pointless to me, there is very little reason for Nintendo or Sakurai to represent specifically new publishers in Smash or avoid representing twice the same publisher, people don't care about that. It's not even displayed in the game, each series has a logo, but there is nothing about publishers.

If anything, it's easier to work several times with the same publishers, so it's not surprising if we get already represented publishers. It would make sense that FP2 characters are just follow ups to base-game or FP1 negociations, maybe FP2 is just leftovers of what they had planned but couldn't add earlier, at least it seems to be the case for Steve and Sephiroth. Interestingly, for now in FP2 we've only got represented publishers in FP1 so maybe that will continue. Similarly, I believe we could get more spirit promotions or assist promotions, since they are already in the game, they might be easier to work with, so it's a bonus for Shadow/Eggman, Rayman, Isaac, etc, who are already good candidates. With this reasoning, a Capcom character could also happen because they got Ken in base game. But it's not very good for Activision or Koei Tecmo, since they got nothing in the game (except Fatal Frame spirit for Koei Tecmo ?).
So in the end, right now I would bet against Hayabusa and Crash.

On the other hand, Namco is probably a special case since they are developing the game. The odd thing about Namco is that Sakurai hinted at them recently when he said they often not remember that they have a character in the game. It could go both ways though, it could mean they won't get more, or it could be a hint at a future character.

I don't know where Indies would fit in this pattern. At least for Touhou, it's probably as easy to negotiate as first party, and very easy to work with since there is only ZUN to communicate with. Maybe Touhou is the 6th slot that's been added later on top of 5 leftovers from FP1 and basegame, it would fit with the timing of the ZUN interview.

So my current guess at the rest of FP2 would be :

• Yuri Lowell (with the return of Lloyd costume), or Lloyd with Yuri as costume
  • Monster Hunter Monster (with the return of hunter costumes), if Pokemon can add monsters, why not MH.
  • Reimu
Honestly KOS-MOS is not just a namco thing now, its Monolith as well. Well namco owns her, the creators now run Monolith software. And they are quite tied to KOS-MOS and friends, and namco has been very willing to lend her to xenoblade 2, same woth T-ELOS. Plus nintendo and Monolith are close of course.

So i think if Namco and Monilith were up for KOS-MOS, i can see it happening. Even if the remaster didnt get passed by dumb marketing people, they could still want KOS-MOS in smash, and it could be to gauge her popularity for future stuff.

Granted, tales of is her biggest hurdle honestly. But we shall see how it goes.

However, if KOS-MOS gets in, i think that leak is 100% true and reimu is coming. However if crash or reimu get in, it isnt a 100% chance kosmos is in.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Oooh, I just ran into the most amazing thing ever: the Reimu trailer...being animated by doujin circles! That would be nuts, huh?

And I’m willing to bet some of you have a particular circle in mind...

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly KOS-MOS is not just a namco thing now, its Monolith as well. Well namco owns her, the creators now run Monolith software. And they are quite tied to KOS-MOS and friends, and namco has been very willing to lend her to xenoblade 2, same woth T-ELOS. Plus nintendo and Monolith are close of course.

So i think if Namco and Monilith were up for KOS-MOS, i can see it happening. Even if the remaster didnt get passed by dumb marketing people, they could still want KOS-MOS in smash, and it could be to gauge her popularity for future stuff.

Granted, tales of is her biggest hurdle honestly. But we shall see how it goes.

However, if KOS-MOS gets in, i think that leak is 100% true and reimu is coming. However if crash or reimu get in, it isnt a 100% chance kosmos is in.
The thing is KOS-MOS is more associated with MonoSoft, but she'd most likely be competing for a spot with other Bamco characters regardless. That, and Nintendo could easily go for another Xenoblade rep like Rex, who's game sold well, is still getting advertised, and he still has a lot of popularity; A good deal more than KOS-MOS, I'd wager. So now she'd sandwiched between big Bamco IPs like Tales and Dark Souls and MonoSoft's Xenoblade characters.
And then there's the fact that Xenosaga is more or less forgotten outside of Xenoblade. Without Banjo's levels of requests, I'm not really expecting SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE X XENOSAGA showing up on the screen.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Oooh, I just ran into the most amazing thing ever: the Reimu trailer...being animated by doujin circles! That would be nuts, huh?

And I’m willing to bet some of you have a particular circle in mind...
I do not have a doujin circle in mind, but I do have one person in mind for this.

zferolie

Smash Hero
The thing is KOS-MOS is more associated with MonoSoft, but she'd most likely be competing for a spot with other Bamco characters regardless. That, and Nintendo could easily go for another Xenoblade rep like Rex, who's game sold well, is still getting advertised, and he still has a lot of popularity; A good deal more than KOS-MOS, I'd wager. So now she'd sandwiched between big Bamco IPs like Tales and Dark Souls and MonoSoft's Xenoblade characters.
And then there's the fact that Xenosaga is more or less forgotten outside of Xenoblade. Without Banjo's levels of requests, I'm not really expecting SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE X XENOSAGA showing up on the screen.
Indeed, why i only gave her a 30% in my rating, even though i really want her. I feel it could go her way if sakuari wants to give monosoft a rep but not rex, and while wanting to help bandai out at the same time. Honestly kosmos may be a pick for monosoft more then namco, as monosoft really still likes her and the xeno series. Maybe they want to see how she is viewed getting into smash as a jumping off point for more games with her and a remaster one day.

But again, who knows at this point

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
back to 2hu a second, anyone know how to install the vsync patch for PCB onward? i think i messed something up (the only vsync patches i can find are for 151, 131, and 128). i was at least able to fix the TOO FAST glitch for EoSD fullscreen using another method from the wiki so that's neat i guess??
If you're still having issues I suggest joining some Touhou (gameplay) Discord and asking for help there. I remember running into problems when installing vsync too.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Splash text idea: "Reimu Spells Trouble!"
I really wanted to do a pun on "spell," but there's probably a more fitting word than "trouble"...
...that’s a good one.

I’ve thrown around “REIMU Plays Her Hand!” as in, playing a hand of cards, or in this case Spell Cards, but I’ve also seen “REIMU Responds To The Prayers!” as a reference to her debut game, but this is a pretty good one.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
...that’s a good one.

I’ve thrown around “REIMU Plays Her Hand!” as in, playing a hand of cards, or in this case Spell Cards, but I’ve also seen “REIMU Responds To The Prayers!” as a reference to her debut game, but this is a pretty good one.
"REIMU Responds To Prayers!" Is actually a really good tagline but I felt I want her tagline not to be too on the nose and a reference to basically her job exterminating yokai

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
...that’s a good one.

So far, the two I've used are "Reimu Crosses the Border," in reference to Touhou's common usage of borders as a theme, and "Reimu has the Last Word," in reference to the Spell Cards. We could have used "Reimu Seals the Deal," but Roy already took that one

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
My tagline for Reimu was "Reimu Takes Flight!", because, well, it's Touhou. You gotta have flying.

Marisa would probably have "Marisa Blasts Off!" because of the nature of her danmaku: flashy and extra stronk. She's also faster than Reimu in the games (though not canonically).

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Little unrelated but I managed to get my Imperishable Night LNB run accepted for a German speedrun marathon! Very excited about this. Hope I'll do the game justice!
View attachment 295920
Today was the day! Run went really well considering how nervous I was and that I couldn't allow any resets. Even a lot of people unfamilar with the series liked it - got a ton of donations too! Really happy I got to do this. :>
And here's a fun clip.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I'm just gonna share this thing that I posted in the KOS-MOS thread:

In [regards to our next fighter], I’m actually kinda thinking that we’ll get our next fighter release in February for one specific reason: 7-11 ads in Japan. In the past, we’ve had multiple cases where presentations/announcements have happened before an ad with Smash on it was taken down (An ad for Hero said it would be taken down by August 4th, he released July 31st; Same with Banjo: ad taken down September 15th, character released September 4th. And recently Steve, with an ad taken down by October 4th, live reveal announced September 30th, character formally revealed the next day). This newest 7-11 ad that came out is said to have a takedown date of January 24th. While January is much too early to release a fighter what with us just getting Sephiroth, I don’t believe it’s too early for a reveal, which I believe we’ll get before this new ad is taken down.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I highly doubt we'll get another reveal only a single month after Sephiroth. The only time we've had reveal in such close proximity were Piranha Plant and Joker, with the latter being extremely ahead of schedule, and Hero and Banjo, who were a dual reveal. I just don't see us getting a reveal this month; It's way too soon for that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I highly doubt we'll get another reveal only a single month after Sephiroth. The only time we've had reveal in such close proximity were Piranha Plant and Joker, with the latter being extremely ahead of schedule, and Hero and Banjo, who were a dual reveal. I just don't see us getting a reveal this month; It's way too soon for that.
to play devil's advocate, they could just pull a Terry, show the first part of the trailer and then say "now in development!"

GolisoPower

Smash Master
to play devil's advocate, they could just pull a Terry, show the first part of the trailer and then say "now in development!"
Exactly! Ran the numbers, with Terry being revealed on the same day as Banjo released, that makes it 35 days from Hero's release to that day. And if we do get a reveal at this point, that would be 38 days or less going with Sephiroth's technical release of December 17th for the Sephiroth Challenge. 33 days if we go with his official release. So close to around the 35-day timeframe between Hero's release and Terry's reveal.

Last edited:

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
to play devil's devil's advocate, FP1 likely started production early and consequently, finished as FP2's production began right in the middle of quarantine time. So realistically we're probably a couple of months behind what could have been had there been no pandemic, with Sephiroth's reveal being the date which got us back on track, being in December.

Terry's "Now in Development" reasoning could be due to:
  • Nintendo keeping us on our toes
  • A quick "and up next..." after the end of the E3 release to keep the hype
  • Sakurai being super excited about his second personal favorite character that he wanted his reveal out earlier

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
to play devil's devil's advocate, FP1 likely started production early and consequently, finished as FP2's production began right in the middle of quarantine time. So realistically we're probably a couple of months behind what could have been had there been no pandemic, with Sephiroth's reveal being the date which got us back on track, being in December.

Terry's "Now in Development" reasoning could be due to:
  • Nintendo keeping us on our toes
  • A quick "and up next..." after the end of the E3 release to keep the hype
  • Sakurai being super excited about his second personal favorite character that he wanted his reveal out earlier
Yeah, I think they finished Banjo early because of his relative simplicity and/or had to delay Hero to balance out their RNG frickery. This would've made it so that Terry and all his crazy new content took longer to make, and he wasn't in a finished state by the time Banjo was read to release.

Top Bottom